Utica and Oneida County Tourism missi...
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#29 May 6, 2013
As far as research goes, I grew up there. In fact I'll be there most of the summer going to shows at SPAC, relaxing at the track & spending good $$$ eating & drinking downtown.
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#30 May 6, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/media /set/?set=a.584924564865443.10 73741856.115500298474541&t ype=1
Looking at these pictures of Cinco De Blu on Varick St. Facebook page tells me that people are having fun!
A handful of people partying in an alley? To each their own.

That completely justifies a convention center.
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#35 May 6, 2013
Whitesboro HS and Prison wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot on with everything you say other than Saratoga to the airport is about 30 minutes and to downtown Albany is about 40 minutes. Depends on traffic. Something the utica area can't comprehend. The northway is often backed up to a standstill at least twice a day.
The traffic I don't miss. I meant the Albany airport is about 10 minutes from Albany.
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#36 May 6, 2013
It's all moot anyway. Turning Stone is 30 ministers away. Now way Utica can even compete with that.
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#37 May 6, 2013
30 minutes too!
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#40 May 6, 2013
Clueless wrote:
It's all moot anyway. Turning Stone is 30 ministers away. Now way Utica can even compete with that.
Your right we can't if we don't try. You didn't grow up in Saratoga 25 years ago. They didn't have a chip plant 25 years ago. They didn't have Saratoga National 25 years ago. See the pattern. The downtown was dead,I know for a fact. We have 29 golf courses within 29 min. We have a lot to market if we try. We have great food,arts,parks,zoo,Stanley. Munson, great cultural diversity. Great colleges,hospitals.

You say we have poverty. So what don't try to change things and keep things status quo? Our location is the center of the state. That is a marketing tool in itself.

As far as crime on Caroline St. Icould pull up a laundry list of police blotters off of the Saratogian. Rapes,assaults,homeless people pushing grocery carts. Picking out of garbage cans. Saratoga is not the perfect city you think it is. I would bet you one million dollars that there is more crime in downtown Saratoga Springs then downtown Utica. PleAse do your research.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#41 May 6, 2013
City Tavern which is not so great. Fourth floor is ok. But,the point is no one would have rehabbed that building if it wasn't for the convention center. If I recall it was a run down building on the corner for years. It was fixed up like seven years ago. Your arguments do not hold water.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#43 May 6, 2013
Saratoga Springs Police Department

Police reported:

• Frank H. Wirz, 33, of Greenacres, Fla., was charged at 3:21 a.m. May 5 on Broadway with driving while intoxicated, operating a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol content of .08 percent or more and aggravated DWI, misdemeanors, as well as two traffic violations.

• John M. Mysliwiec, 32, of Averill Park was charged at 12:50 a.m. May 5 with third-degree assault, a misdemeanor, following an alleged fight on Caroline Street. In the same incident, Renee V. Fallon, 37, of Caroline Street was charged with second-degree obstructing governmental administration, a misdemeanor, for allegedly trying to prevent officers from arresting Mysliwiec.

• Michael J. Hodson, 23, of Washington Street was charged at 4:38 a.m. May 4 with resisting arrest, a misdemeanor, and disorderly conduct, a violation, stemming from an alleged altercation on Caroline Street.

• Ryan W. O’Grady, 30, of Ballston Lake was charged at 2:30 a.m. May 4 on South Broadway with driving while intoxicated and operating a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol content of .08 percent or more, misdemeanors, as well as two violations.

• Tracy C. Carpenter, 44, of Ballston Spa was charged at 2:48 a.m. May 4 on Circular Street with driving while intoxicated and operating a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol content of .08 percent or more, misdemeanors, as well as failure to stop at a stop sign, a violation.

• Thomas E. Burns, 38, of Milford, Mass., was charged at 1:49 a.m. May 4 on Putnam Street with third-degree grand larceny, a felony, after he allegedly stole a painting from The Paddock Lounge on Caroline Street. He was also charged on a warrant for theft of services, a misdemeanor stemming from an incident in February.

• Jordan D. Lewis-Robinson, 23, of Franklin Square was charged May 3 with second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor stemming from a domestic incident.

That is from today's paper alone. People that were charged with crimes The funny part it is the most read article in their paper with over 4000 views. 2 nd most read article had 2000 views less. I know Utica has crime, but please show me where downtown? Swiftys or Ancora? I think not.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#44 May 6, 2013
Albany,Schenectady,Troy,Syracu se,Rochester and Buffalo. Like ever city in the country have problems with crime. However,that does not stop them from trying to get a part of the billions from tourism and it shouldn't stop Utica either. The only thing stopping us is our will to try.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#45 May 6, 2013
Clueless i agree with this statement you made.
How about the fact that their chamber of commerce and business leaders have a clue unlike ours locally?
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#46 May 6, 2013
http://www.bing.com/images/search...

Even Lake Placid is getting in on it?
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#47 May 7, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
http://www.bing.com/images/sea rch?q=lake+placid+convention+c enter+photos&qpvt=lake+pla cid+convention+center+photos &FORM=IGRE#view=detail &id=AA421F43304DF58E5756A6 1C590C5F3EB3809EDB&selecte dIndex=2
Even Lake Placid is getting in on it?
Again, Placid is already a destination for tourists. It's in the ADKs and has relevance for fans of Winter and Olympic sports. Success with convention centers is the location, where people want to go.

I go to a bunch of conventions for work and for personal interest. A key consideration is where it is. The city and it's attraction has a lot to do with whether people choose to attend. Travel is expensive. I enjoy traveling to new places and even old ones if it's a good locale. The location is also often a testimony to the overall quality of the event.

I'm feeling you man. I'd love to see some improvement in the area but there's a whole lot of work and changes that need to happen long before we consider a convention center. I'm pretty sure that officials in the not too distant past explored the concept and came a way with red light issues including lack of access to air travel and the presence of Turning Stone among others.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#48 May 7, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, Placid is already a destination for tourists. It's in the ADKs and has relevance for fans of Winter and Olympic sports. Success with convention centers is the location, where people want to go.
I go to a bunch of conventions for work and for personal interest. A key consideration is where it is. The city and it's attraction has a lot to do with whether people choose to attend. Travel is expensive. I enjoy traveling to new places and even old ones if it's a good locale. The location is also often a testimony to the overall quality of the event.
I'm feeling you man. I'd love to see some improvement in the area but there's a whole lot of work and changes that need to happen long before we consider a convention center. I'm pretty sure that officials in the not too distant past explored the concept and came a way with red light issues including lack of access to air travel and the presence of Turning Stone among others.
How many people that go to conventions in NYS fly? Maybe 10%. Most conventions are held by state organizations. We have a beautiful train station,in the middle of the state no less. I would argue the best in the state. We have easy access off the thurway. When i drive to NYC it takes maybe three and a half hours at most. It is a beautiful drive. Also,I would argue that landscape and drive around the Mohawk Valley is the
best in the state.
Have you ever watched the Mohawk Valley living show? Check it out sometime. Every time I watch it I am amazed by all the interesting small towns that are close to Utica. We could cross market with these other locations. If I lived in NYC I would love to see a working farm or take a short drive to the Adirondacks. Plus,we could use the Erie Canal more. Have you ever gone through a lock on the canal? It's real cool.

Further,I think we could market this area as a food destination. Saratoga Springs does not have a Lebanese or Greek Restaurant. Not to mention all the great places to get Italian Pastries.

“End Prohabition!”

Level 3

Since: Sep 09

Utica

#49 May 7, 2013
I think Bass Pro shops can agree that we are the Gateway to the Adirondacks. They are moving a store here to make money; stores like that don't move to locations without tons of market research. They only have one other store in the state and it too is in a location that is prime for fishing, hunting, boating, etc.

It's just a retail store put in a good locale but the point is most who go to the Adirondack Park do go thru Utica.

Soon the train line connecting Saranac Lake, Lake Placid and Utica will also be finished. This will be tied into our tourism as well as people come from the East and West to catch the train North. That's expected to be high end tourist $ as well.

The Oooooticants always seem to bash the area at every chance they get. Pack your bags and leave if your not happy here.
Swimmy

United States

#50 May 7, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people that go to conventions in NYS fly? Maybe 10%. Most conventions are held by state organizations. We have a beautiful train station,in the middle of the state no less. I would argue the best in the state. We have easy access off the thurway. When i drive to NYC it takes maybe three and a half hours at most. It is a beautiful drive. Also,I would argue that landscape and drive around the Mohawk Valley is the
best in the state.
Have you ever watched the Mohawk Valley living show? Check it out sometime. Every time I watch it I am amazed by all the interesting small towns that are close to Utica. We could cross market with these other locations. If I lived in NYC I would love to see a working farm or take a short drive to the Adirondacks. Plus,we could use the Erie Canal more. Have you ever gone through a lock on the canal? It's real cool.
Further,I think we could market this area as a food destination. Saratoga Springs does not have a Lebanese or Greek Restaurant. Not to mention all the great places to get Italian Pastries.
I think the Italian Parasites destroy any of those "great" attractions.

So let's see, you post race bait posts and try to sell NYC convention goers on going to utica to put up with the public service paradise conditions.

I can see it now... "Go to Utica for your convention!! Get harassed ticketed and end up on probation!"

Fuck you people. Your hopes and aspirations are the perfect indicator pf how undeserved and pathetic your understanding of what makes an area attractive are. Your little screen name says it all while you post your race baiting fits. "Utica Pride".

Uticans and their "pride" are the reason they're living in a 30 mile wide cistern. Nobody wants to come there to spend one fucking cent on your parasites and "big thinkers" with your hot dog stands and piss beer economic engines. You people can't even debate. Your "biggest thinkers" have to throw fits and race attacks because you can't stand people laughing at how insignificant cny is.
Go make fkng t shirts and beer. That's about the pinnacle of cny technological and cultural know how. People from cny are so delusional about their situation and repulsive to any critique there really is no solution but to pull up a chair have a toast and watch your whole fkn unsinkable titanic slip in with all you rats screaming all the way.
Central New York deserves is. You demanded it, you attacked everyone for it and you justified it. You defended the albany liberal hypocrites' poLICE state prisonland economy. Attack, hate, arrest, criminalize, beat, abuse.

Now own it like people should and have a swim.
Cretin Alert

Gouverneur, NY

#51 May 7, 2013
Swimmy wrote:
<quoted text>I think the Italian Parasites destroy any of those "great" attractions.
So let's see, you post race bait posts and try to sell NYC convention goers on going to utica to put up with the public service paradise conditions.
I can see it now... "Go to Utica for your convention!! Get harassed ticketed and end up on probation!"
Fuck you people. Your hopes and aspirations are the perfect indicator pf how undeserved and pathetic your understanding of what makes an area attractive are. Your little screen name says it all while you post your race baiting fits. "Utica Pride".
Uticans and their "pride" are the reason they're living in a 30 mile wide cistern. Nobody wants to come there to spend one fucking cent on your parasites and "big thinkers" with your hot dog stands and piss beer economic engines. You people can't even debate. Your "biggest thinkers" have to throw fits and race attacks because you can't stand people laughing at how insignificant cny is.
Go make fkng t shirts and beer. That's about the pinnacle of cny technological and cultural know how. People from cny are so delusional about their situation and repulsive to any critique there really is no solution but to pull up a chair have a toast and watch your whole fkn unsinkable titanic slip in with all you rats screaming all the way.
Central New York deserves is. You demanded it, you attacked everyone for it and you justified it. You defended the albany liberal hypocrites' poLICE state prisonland economy. Attack, hate, arrest, criminalize, beat, abuse.
Now own it like people should and have a swim.
Warning: Cretin is losing it yet again above. He's a moron.
Clueless

Ardsley, NY

#52 May 7, 2013
Chillin in CNY wrote:
I think Bass Pro shops can agree that we are the Gateway to the Adirondacks. They are moving a store here to make money; stores like that don't move to locations without tons of market research. They only have one other store in the state and it too is in a location that is prime for fishing, hunting, boating, etc.
It's just a retail store put in a good locale but the point is most who go to the Adirondack Park do go thru Utica.
Soon the train line connecting Saranac Lake, Lake Placid and Utica will also be finished. This will be tied into our tourism as well as people come from the East and West to catch the train North. That's expected to be high end tourist $ as well.
The Oooooticants always seem to bash the area at every chance they get. Pack your bags and leave if your not happy here.
Not bashing anything, just realistic. There are over a million people in the Capital District and millions that travel to the ADKs via 87 from the city and you think "most" of the people that travel to the ADKs come through Utica? A Bass Pro Shop is hardly indicative of of Utica being a destination. Who the hell takes takes the train? Really?
Cretin Alert

Gouverneur, NY

#53 May 7, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Not bashing anything, just realistic. There are over a million people in the Capital District and millions that travel to the ADKs via 87 from the city and you think "most" of the people that travel to the ADKs come through Utica? A Bass Pro Shop is hardly indicative of of Utica being a destination. Who the hell takes takes the train? Really?
Warning: Cretin posting above again. He's "Clueless" for sure.

“End Prohabition!”

Level 3

Since: Sep 09

Utica

#54 May 7, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are posting just to argue with people but I'll elaborate because I don't think you get what I was eluding too with the Bass Pro Shop.

They are a sportsman's shop, the best, sportsman shop and a lot of sportsman travel to the Adirondacks via Utica. If they hadn't before this isn't a "destination" qualifier it is however a draw for people that are looking to do a certain type of activities in the ADK's. I travel to Auburn just to frequent the store there and I would believe that some would detour for the store here.

Folks from NYC may use I-87 but most from the West and South use Rt-12 to go North from Utica.

The train would be specific to people that use the train for tourism. Amtrack usage has never been higher in the history of Amtrack so a certain group of people do use the train. Usually people that are not in a hurry, have the money to pay for the train, and are interested in sightseeing more than rushing to the destination itself.

I do think a convention center would be a good idea for Utica and I think business and public events would be interested in holding events here in Utica.
Genesee Geniuses

United States

#55 May 7, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
The oooticans are too simple to follow your logic. Smalltime small minds. Everything they say or do is usually an inflation or embellishment of some insignificant fact. Like "The Boilermaker is the biggest bestest 15k race in the galaxy!"

It's one of 3 and all 3 are totally unknown. Voss is "the best" when it;s not. Annette Funicello lives there, Dick Clark runs his radio show.

That these people even aspire to such nothingness is a hysterical joke is lost on them totally. Best keep the boot right on their necks and let them wallow in their "greatness".

I'm sure these "awesome" economic engine ideas are from the same anti-progress backwards people who think that adding lights to every single intersection and making the "arterial" go through genesee so they can stop 4x a block and buy a coffee and a pot bowl is a sign of a "great business mind".

I swear to fucking god watching the history of cny infold is like reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" for god's sake. Watch out for making the cavemen mad. They roll boulders at you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is FSMC Hiding! 9 min ROG NASA 37
New York Taxes Highest in US - AGAIN! 12 min ROG NASA 20
rob esche getting divorced 15 min ROG NASA 18
what happened to busy corner cafe (Nov '14) 1 hr Mhayes 7
Amanda donoHoe 2 hr Ralphie 16
Js auto aka jason Shultz 2 hr pete the rat 9
Hospital Administrators salaries article Syracu... 3 hr Nonsense 1
irish center enough is enough 3 hr Waah Wahh Uticans 59
Esche thread deleted...too hot to handle? 3 hr Not like Kelly does 55
Babes North Utica What Is Up With The Owner?? D... 3 hr Dirt shoot 45