Utica and Oneida County Tourism missi...
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#496 Jun 26, 2013
Your the one that is clueless.

In today's news.

Construction of the highly-anticipated nanotechnology center at SUNYIT is officially underway. The development of the Computer Chip Commercialization Center, or 'Quad-C' will bring leading researchers in nanotechnology onto the SUNYIT campus.

In a story you'll only see on Eyewitness News, reporter Rachel Polansky gets a first-hand look at the project. It's been nearly 4 years since officials announced plans for Quad-C and today those visions became a reality. This project will bring jobs and businesses from all over the world right here to the Mohawk Valley.

"It is a true partnership between higher education and industry," says John Swann, Director of Public Affairs and Associate Vice President at SUNYIT.

Quad-C is a partnership between SUNYIT and the University of Albany's College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, or CNSE. Officials say CNSE has seen tremendous success over the last decade and Quad-C has the potential to follow in it's footsteps.

"From an undeveloped space a little more than a dozen to 15 years ago, we now see a multi-billion dollar enterprise that has had a major economic impact on that region, and in a way this will replicate that there," says Swann.

The Quad-C project will create 300 technology manufacturing jobs over three years and serve as a hub for nanotechnology.

One key visionary says he was part of the Silicon Valley and he knows how to transform CNY into the next hi-tech region.

"Look at the history of the Silicon Valley and how it grew over time. The number of manufacturing jobs and number of research jobs and just jobs increased significantly. When I saw the opportunity at SUNYIT a few months back, I was very excited to come here," says Jim Lloyd, Vice President of Administration at SUNYIT.

Lloyd worked in the Silicon Valley for 20 years and he says a lot of technology invented there was centered around Stanford University. He sees that parallel in the Mohawk Valley.

"SUNYIT would be the seed like Standford university was in Silicon Valley for this region; to bring manufacturing in and hi-tech companies in," says Lloyd.

"Certainly for the people that live and work on the SUNYIT campus, but really an exciting time for us and for the entire region," says Swann.

Contractors will be breaking ground all this month on the SUNYIT campus, and they expect to be pouring concrete by August. Completion is expected by the end of 2014.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#497 Jun 26, 2013
Read it and weep you haters.

http://cnyhomepage.com/fulltext-news...
SREGGIN CLUELESS

Ithaca, NY

#498 Jun 26, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just ridiculous. Having a little home town pride is one thing but my man, you're right off your rocker. All the pride in the world can't overcome the economic and demographic realities of the area.
The Comets are gone in 2 years tops. Try reading something other than the local press. They're here because that had no where else to go. Watch how fast support dries up for a team that goes .250.
The chip plant, not going to happen. Unlike the political spin you're getting from your pals I actually know people in the industry and it doesn't look good. The only reason the area is even getting it's tires kicked is state level politics. There's no serious interest or intent here.
Utica sucks and it's not changing anytime soon. Incompetent leadership, tax payer funded business failures, highest taxes in the state, overwhelming resident dependence on social services, lack of educated workforce, failing infrastructure, an ugly dirty city with a high rate of absentee ownership and little pride..Let's see your hockey team and and some low rent North Utica hotels fix all that. How's that Moe's coming?
PWNED by utica pride.
Clueless

New Hartford, NY

#499 Jun 26, 2013
I'll believe it when I see PRIVATE dollars invested.

SUNYIT compared to Stanford? Really. That's friggin' hilarious! You're quoting an insider who's getting paid big money to spin the project. "He knows how to transform CNY into the next hi-tech region"? Yeah, ok.

Have you ever been to Silicon Valley? I have, many times, have friends that work there and in fact 1 friend just sold his startup to Sony. This ain't it & ain't going to be it. You keep holding your breath Andy.

Best case scenario they're educating nano tech workers to go elsewhere.

Why would the president of a university on the verge of such greatness based on a project he worked hard to bring take a job across the country? Why would he leave behind the opportunity to lead the driving force in transforming CNY into the next high tech Mecca?

By the way it's you're. A contraction of you and are.
LOL Whitesboro Trash Tech

Albany, NY

#500 Jun 26, 2013
Clueless wrote:
I'll believe it when I see PRIVATE dollars invested.
SUNYIT compared to Stanford? Really. That's friggin' hilarious! You're quoting an insider who's getting paid big money to spin the project. "He knows how to transform CNY into the next hi-tech region"? Yeah, ok.
Have you ever been to Silicon Valley? I have, many times, have friends that work there and in fact 1 friend just sold his startup to Sony. This ain't it & ain't going to be it. You keep holding your breath Andy.
Best case scenario they're educating nano tech workers to go elsewhere.
Why would the president of a university on the verge of such greatness based on a project he worked hard to bring take a job across the country? Why would he leave behind the opportunity to lead the driving force in transforming CNY into the next high tech Mecca?
By the way it's you're. A contraction of you and are.
You hit the nail on the head with the private dollars aspect. Ny can build all of these they want. Until a company comes in its just mental masturbation. Lol
LOL Whitesboro Trash Tech

Albany, NY

#501 Jun 26, 2013
Perhaps a tour of the happy journey. Lol
Trash In Whitesboro

Clifton Park, NY

#506 Jun 30, 2013
I'm thinking that tours of the sexual predators hotel rooms in north utica would bring tourists in. Lol
Trash In Whitesboro

Clifton Park, NY

#508 Jun 30, 2013
Prison tours would pack them in too! Lol
Trash In Whitesboro

Clifton Park, NY

#510 Jun 30, 2013
Maybe the COs can give tours of the city. Lol
Valley Hoe

New York, NY

#512 Jul 1, 2013
Mohawk Valley. The Road to Nowhere.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#514 Jul 3, 2013
http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Five-new-retai...

Five New Retailers are Coming to North Utica.
Valley Hoe

New York, NY

#515 Jul 4, 2013
Are you kidding? GNC is already here. So we are playing the shell game. Koolaide?
Yero

Herkimer, NY

#516 Jul 4, 2013
If I hear the phrase,"Revitalize downtown Utica," one more time I'm going to lose it. It's belongs down memory lane. I'm not saying parts of Utica shouldn't be invested in,but come on, who wants to go down there?
Lol

Utica, NY

#518 Jul 5, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just ridiculous. Having a little home town pride is one thing but my man, you're right off your rocker. All the pride in the world can't overcome the economic and demographic realities of the area.
The Comets are gone in 2 years tops. Try reading something other than the local press. They're here because that had no where else to go. Watch how fast support dries up for a team that goes .250.
The chip plant, not going to happen. Unlike the political spin you're getting from your pals I actually know people in the industry and it doesn't look good. The only reason the area is even getting it's tires kicked is state level politics. There's no serious interest or intent here.
Utica sucks and it's not changing anytime soon. Incompetent leadership, tax payer funded business failures, highest taxes in the state, overwhelming resident dependence on social services, lack of educated workforce, failing infrastructure, an ugly dirty city with a high rate of absentee ownership and little pride..Let's see your hockey team and and some low rent North Utica hotels fix all that. How's that Moe's coming?
SREGGIN CLUELESS wrote:
<quoted text>
PWNED by utica pride.
Not even close! Lol! UticaPride copies and pastes a "local" news story about how the "local" economy is making a comeback and is on it's way and you both think THAT is reality? CLUELESS nailed it! Too bad UticaPride just doesn't get it. There is nothing wrong with having pride in your hometown, nothing at all. EXCEPT when that pride doesn't allow you to see the reality of a situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jason POWLES today. 6 min Tanya 5
Welfare mutts making babies 1 hr Gotta look good 4
Open Forum on RCIL [Resource Center for Indepen... (Jan '12) 2 hr Peter Piper Down 13
another SLIVERBUCK SHOOTS 12YO KID THEN HEADS T... 2 hr ardith 3
Mexico and Canada Agree to Renegotiate NAFTA Wi... 2 hr ardith 2
sheanimal ASSAULTS 4 YO CHILD IN CINCINNATI ONLY 4 3 hr SEEMANN JIM 3
ERICA HARVILLA from Carmella's 3 hr Gina 2
Which is worse? Life in Utica OR Hot Fire Poker... 3 hr Upstate Toilet Town 12
tenney 3 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 60
Kaitlyn Conley (Jun '16) 3 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 167
Sociopathic Narcisstic Abuse Rules 3 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 27
New Hartford Police-Inserra LAWSUIT & A.G. TIME! 5 hr Upstate Toilet Town 15

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance