UticaPride

Utica, NY

#252 May 13, 2013
Saratoga has many problems.
http://saratogian.com/articles/2013/05/13/new...
Check out this article. Someone raped in Saratogian parking lot.
Utica has a much nicer looking downtown. Have you ever been inside the Gold Dome Bank? Train Station? some of our churches. Way better. Varick St way better then Caroline.
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Doughboys? You think people pack Caroline St because of doughboys? How about Saratoga City Tavern? And part of what makes Caroline St better is what it doesn't have that Varick does; crime, bums... Saranac Thursday? Who cares? it's the same shitty ass local bands week after werk and year after year and I'd hardly brag about the trash it brings out. I've never seen cops have to set up a command center on Caroline St.
I know a bunch of people that go downtown after shows and before shows for dinner. How about the fact that downtown Saratoga looks nothing like Utica's. it's populated with great resteraunts & shops with a mix of upscale national chains.
How about the fact that 45% of the surrounding communities aren't on social services?
How about the fact that their chamber of commerce and business leaders have a clue unlike ours locally?
How about the fact that the track, SPAC, downtown and the city's history and reputation make it a highly marketable package? Want golf? How about Saratoga National?
How about a lack of air transportation? 50+ minutes to Syracuse. Saratoga is 20 minutes from the Albany airport and Albany is 10 minutes.
How about the fact that they have a multi billion chip plant with another on the way as well as a thriving and growing technology economy?
The reality is that Utica has nothing to market to create a draw and nothing that in a million years will overcome it's standing reputation. There's no way that Utica can compete with Capital Distrct be it Saratoga or Albany or anywhere in between.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#253 May 13, 2013
Oh and Lake Placid does not have an airport like Albany or Syracuse. People go there. Most people from NYC drive up to Saratoga in the summer. Utica is only 45 minutes more on the thruway.

Do people go to JFK,Laguardia or Newark to take a plane to Albany. You have to show up an hour and half before your flight. It will take you at least an hour to get an airport. Not counting time to park and rent a car. Your better off driving.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#256 May 13, 2013
Utica Prison Fort Center wrote:
<quoted text>
At what time in the morning do you typically start smoking weed? You are highly delusional.
I wrote the article. What time do you love finding out what is going on in Utica, NY. You love topix and can't get enough information about this place.
Disgusting

Roxbury, CT

#258 May 13, 2013
You people are still talking about this?
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#260 May 13, 2013
Best idea I have ever heard in my life.
It will bring 1000's of hospitality jobs.
The hotels,restaurants and retail stores will be the big winners.
Not to mention the sales tax revenue that would come in.
Maybe we can start looking at lowering our property tax because of all the new revenue coming in.
Plus,it will provide construction jobs with all the new hotels to support it.
They should target groups in the 600 to 800 people range.
It's a win,win,win all the around. Who ever came up with that idea is brilliant!
Nice!
Clueless

Utica, NY

#261 May 13, 2013
Trying to throw another party that no one's coming to. Give it up already. You've been given a million reasons why it can't work. Pushing an agenda that can't succeed isn't brave or a show of strength, it's just stupid and that's how you look right now. Sometimes us "naysayers" actually have valid pints and present them to attempt to prevent the further wasting of valuablrle and limited time and resources on more fruitless projects. For years such as beeb the way of local leadership and
we're worse off than we've ever been. So much needs to be addressed before we can begin to
hope to attract people or businesses here. The best place to start is in November by gutting the county & it's major cities politically and starting over. It all has to to start there and I don't believe that there are people here that have the ambition to take that on. Therefore nothing changes.
occvb

Syracuse, NY

#262 May 13, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
What so great about Caroline St. Gaffney's? Give me a break. I have been there and nothing special. The only thing they got going is doughboys at Esperantos. For those who don't know it's a type of food. Varick St blows Caroline st away. They don't have Saranac Thursdays. The only thing killing Varick st is the stupid vendors. Who in their right mind would invest in a restaurant when you have to compete with them. I think the city is penny wise and pound foolish for collecting money from vendors.
SPAC how many people go downtown from SPAC? Most people I know tailgate in the parking lot and then leave. I don't think meeting planners pick Saratoga because of SPAC? Who's clueless?
I know who you are. I agree 100 percent.. these people would never understand if there not in the business!!!
Clueless

Utica, NY

#263 May 13, 2013
occvb wrote:
<quoted text>I know who you are. I agree 100 percent.. these people would never understand if there not in the business!!!
I know who he is too which is what makes it just more of the friends & family program.

I've been in the business & have worked with some of the best in the business in Albany and Saratoga & have patronized locales all across America and beyond. If any Utica establishment thinks they're in the same league they're kidding themselves. Period. The delusion and denial that people engage in here is amazing.
Clueless

Utica, NY

#264 May 13, 2013
I just pulled this from my Facebook newsfeed.

http://nymag.com/travel/weekends/saratogaspri...

Where is Utica's write up? Where does the article mention the city center? Wake up people.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#266 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
If any of the ideas you have presented you view are your best I would hate to see what you consider to be your worst idea.
The worst idea is to do nothing,to go after the tourist dollar.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I should admit defeat now. This can't happen in Utica. It's kind of like the Wizard of Oz. No heart,No brain and No courage. We lost it. Not sure how to get it back. We had it once but the will to try is gone. How sad.

What happen to the American spirt? We need to try something and soon. Out of all these post only one person that disagreed came up with another idea.

What about the rest of you? No thoughts? No ideas,just criticism?

My question to everyone. If you had to build a city,how would you do it? What would it look like?
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#268 May 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Going after tourist dollars when you have nothing tourists would care about is a ridiculous idea. You brought up a bank with a gold dome? Who gives a sh it about that? You brought up the great neighborhoods. Are you serious? You think people will come to utica to look at poverty. There is zero in utica to attract tourist and even less to attract conferences of any kind.
Your attracted to what's going on here.
Clueless

New York, NY

#269 May 14, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Your attracted to what's going on here.
At least show that you know which "your" to use if YOU'RE going to try to win support for your hair brained argument. Poor grammar and spelling negate entire ideas. If you can't make the effort to make educated posts it leads one to wonder how much effort really went into researching the agenda YOU'RE trying to push.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#270 May 14, 2013
Besides,most meetings you go to meet. Then have a nice dinner. I think we can handle that.
If you want to golf we have that to. We have 29 golf courses within 29 minutes.
We have many new places that have opened downtown, nice interesting places. Have you been to the Dev,Gerbers 1933 Tavern. I like Varick St,they have new places opening up there. I think Bank Place has some cool restaurants.
We have great pastry shops. Cafe Caruso,Florintine,Ancora. I would put our pastries against anyones from NYC.
You can have a reception at the train station or at the Stanley. I went to a cultural fest there very cool. This year I went to the Hotel Utica for a meatball eating contest.

You can take the Adirondack train they have a beer and wine tasting train ride. In Herkimer they have a boat ride on the Erie Canal which is cool.

You can go to Rome to go back and time to the revolutionary war or go to Erie canal Village.

You can have an event in Proctor Park,which is beautiful. Maybe an event at the Fort Scuyler Club. Have you ever been inside there? Maybe go to the fountain Elms for an event.
You could take a brewery tour or watch how vodka is made.

We have a great foundation of interesting events you can do.
Please don't tell me that this city has nothing because you are wrong. We have great places. It certainly would not hurt to get more meetings here.
Unless you work for another convention center. Then yes I would be against it to.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#271 May 14, 2013
Maybe rehab the HSBC building and have a conference center there. It would help out the radison and hotel Utica. Plus,the restaurants would be grateful. We can't keep knocking everything down in this city and put up a parking lots.
We have to compete for dollars through the Governors regional council. Why not make this one of our request. It would help out the region.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#272 May 14, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
At least show that you know which "your" to use if YOU'RE going to try to win support for your hair brained argument. Poor grammar and spelling negate entire ideas. If you can't make the effort to make educated posts it leads one to wonder how much effort really went into researching the agenda YOU'RE trying to push.
My agenda is to see the city do well. What is your agenda? Thank you for the correction. I rather lack in grammar then lack in ideas. Which you still have not offered one.
Clueless

New York, NY

#273 May 14, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
My agenda is to see the city do well. What is your agenda? Thank you for the correction. I rather lack in grammar then lack in ideas. Which you still have not offered one.
I assure you, I've spent more than my share of time on generating, researching and sharing ideas on how to help move this area forward. What I've learned is that without a complete overhaul of the area's political system you're wasting your time. Those with access to and control of political office, government funds and decision making have no interet in pursuing anything that doesn't enrich them financially or politically. Period.

Do you really think you're the first to throw this idea out? I'm not claiming to as obviously it's flawed but others have. Others market their venues for such events. What's going to make yours different?
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#274 May 14, 2013
I spoke of the interesting places we have up above. I hope you have a nice day. The sun is shining. What are some of those ideas? Please share. Hopefully not more prisons or low income housing.

Level 1

Since: May 13

Winter Springs, FL

#275 May 14, 2013
Utica needs to bring professional baseball back. And Downtown area needs a MAJOR
cleanup and plantings. I was just there this sat w/e and if I am going to move there (possibility) then everyone in that town needs to step it up. You're slummy. Sorry but true.
Disgusting

Monroe, CT

#278 May 14, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
Besides,most meetings you go to meet. Then have a nice dinner. I think we can handle that.
If you want to golf we have that to. We have 29 golf courses within 29 minutes.
We have many new places that have opened downtown, nice interesting places. Have you been to the Dev,Gerbers 1933 Tavern. I like Varick St,they have new places opening up there. I think Bank Place has some cool restaurants.
We have great pastry shops. Cafe Caruso,Florintine,Ancora. I would put our pastries against anyones from NYC.
You can have a reception at the train station or at the Stanley. I went to a cultural fest there very cool. This year I went to the Hotel Utica for a meatball eating contest.
You can take the Adirondack train they have a beer and wine tasting train ride. In Herkimer they have a boat ride on the Erie Canal which is cool.
You can go to Rome to go back and time to the revolutionary war or go to Erie canal Village.
You can have an event in Proctor Park,which is beautiful. Maybe an event at the Fort Scuyler Club. Have you ever been inside there? Maybe go to the fountain Elms for an event.
You could take a brewery tour or watch how vodka is made.
We have a great foundation of interesting events you can do.
Please don't tell me that this city has nothing because you are wrong. We have great places. It certainly would not hurt to get more meetings here.
Unless you work for another convention center. Then yes I would be against it to.
Are you mentally disabled? It's either that or you have actually never left utica visiting other areas or attended business meetings. Who the hell would travel to Utica to go to proctor park? A meatball eating contest? I really hope you're joking with all of these posts and not serious.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#280 May 14, 2013
I wake up every day and thank God that I live in Utica,NY. It seems like you all can't get enough of it either. You make it your job to check out ever piece of gossip that is going on here. It cracks me up.

You say you hate Utica,but You are on topic because You thirst for any little information You can get from the place.

Maybe we can have a gossip convention. That would be a huge hit with you folks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
suicide is the most selfish thing and a cowards... (Sep '11) 3 min Suicide Elaqua 51
Planet fitness riverside center utica ny 8 min The Greatest 11
Who lives at 121 B-------- --. W'boro? 11 min CretinIsUrMother 11
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 13 min HELP FOR FAILURE 211
Christmas: the harsh truth Christians don't wan... 15 min Santa 4
fat MOUTH TACO GRINDER Hector Hernandez WELFAR... 17 min TACO BARS 24
bn HERNANDEZ SOON TO BE REUNITED WITH PATTERSON... 20 min TACO BARS 3
ND defeats Proctor! 36 min scuz 24
Nativity scene at NHFD offensive 1 hr thirdnameivetried 23
Who's Buying Hotel Utica? Gaetano Ripoff - Unpa... 2 hr The Dodger 101
What's the coward Parole Officers name? 2 hr A Family Affair I... 56
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:57 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:57AM
NFL Playoffs: What the Green Bay Packers Need to Do to Make a Super Bowl Run
NBC Sports 8:50 AM
Osi Umenyiora tells Jonathan Massaquoi to keep complaints private
ESPN10:15 AM
Vick has paid down nearly all of $18M debt
NBC Sports12:29 PM
Giants safety Rolle not listening to the critics - NBC Sports
ESPN12:35 PM
Rolle wants to finish his career with Giants
ESPN 2:28 PM
Revis: Rex's shaky status with Jets is 'sad'
Bleacher Report 3:02 PM
Michael Vick Reportedly Has Paid off Almost Entire $17.8M Debt Owed to Creditors
NBC Sports 3:57 PM
Win and hope: Bills focus solely on facing Raiders - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:27 PM
Revis heads back to MetLife Stadium as Jets' enemy - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 6:03 PM
New England Patriots vs. New York Jets Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick