timberwolf killed in Westmoreland?
Scary

South New Berlin, NY

#85 Nov 11, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text> I've seen that wiki too but it contradicts all the books I have read on them. Who really knows I guess.
Exactly.
nra

Syracuse, NY

#86 Nov 11, 2013
they should open season on all wild animals forever .especially deer. all year and take them any way bow, poach,pistol,shotgun,...too many running around eventually they will start attacking us, as we jog on our favorite bike paths.
cats

Utica, NY

#87 Nov 11, 2013
I've seen a bobcat before while camping near pine lake in the adks'.
Idaho Spud

New Hartford, NY

#88 Nov 11, 2013
Mt Liar: the Connecticut Mtn lion was the real deal, a wild lion that migrated from the Black Hills of SD only to be killed in Ct. DNA evidence confirmed this; the critter was also caught on tape in MN and DNA taken from its scat confirmed it was the same cat. Google it, it's true.
NYCT Lion

Utica, NY

#89 Nov 13, 2013
False wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true...I heard the same thing... So I actually called the regional DEC office.... Being an avid outdoorsman.... I wanted to know if I should be taking prevtative measures to protect myself, a MT.Lion will kill a grown man with ease..
DEC response was this........ ROTFLMAO..... in layman's terms... 1st of there would be public notification and awareness of a predatory cat of that nature being stocked anywhere in NY state.. MT lions have never and are not planned to be introduced introduced into NY wildlife....
Wolves aren't either....
A lot of you folks could really do yourself the benefit of the almighty Google... There are no wolves or mt lions in NY.... Call up your local DEC office or visit them they are right in downtown Utica.
I too am an avid outdoors man and never believed until I saw one first hand. There is no mistaking a mountain lion at about 40 yards away with its beautiful golden fur, long body, long tail and unafraid of us. A couple of years ago The DEC Wildlife Pathology confirmed that a mountain lion, which was spotted in December 2010 in NY, was the same animal that was killed by a motor vehicle in Milford, CT in June that year. So if this animal was killed right on the NY/CT border then I think the DEC is in denial and it could be a possibility.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#90 Nov 13, 2013
NYCT Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
I too am an avid outdoors man and never believed until I saw one first hand. There is no mistaking a mountain lion at about 40 yards away with its beautiful golden fur, long body, long tail and unafraid of us. A couple of years ago The DEC Wildlife Pathology confirmed that a mountain lion, which was spotted in December 2010 in NY, was the same animal that was killed by a motor vehicle in Milford, CT in June that year. So if this animal was killed right on the NY/CT border then I think the DEC is in denial and it could be a possibility.
I sure hope mountain lions make it back to N.Y. the more wildlife and game the better. With exception of those damn hogs.
yeah

Bristol, CT

#91 Nov 13, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text> I sure hope mountain lions make it back to N.Y. the more wildlife and game the better. With exception of those damn hogs.
Well, yes and no.Mt Lions aren't really on my wish list.Particularly because I don't want to carry a pistol with me every time I venture into the wilderness.These cats have been known to target humans after seeing them a few times. There was a Mt lion out west a couple years ago picking off mt bikers on a trail system.The 1st 3 bikers were alone when they met their demise. The last victim survived because they were with someone.My point is I venture out alone and I'm not sure even if attack by one my pistol would do me any good, these cats go right for the head/ throat area. The creepy thing is they drag their kills off and store them in places for future snacks !!!!!!

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#92 Nov 13, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yes and no.Mt Lions aren't really on my wish list.Particularly because I don't want to carry a pistol with me every time I venture into the wilderness.These cats have been known to target humans after seeing them a few times. There was a Mt lion out west a couple years ago picking off mt bikers on a trail system.The 1st 3 bikers were alone when they met their demise. The last victim survived because they were with someone.My point is I venture out alone and I'm not sure even if attack by one my pistol would do me any good, these cats go right for the head/ throat area. The creepy thing is they drag their kills off and store them in places for future snacks !!!!!!
I know about them from living in California. They are scary. I'm a little of a thrill nut though and always kind of liked camping and hunting in bear, rattler, or cougar country. I know it is not normal but it is the truth. Plus, I don't mind having to be armed in the woods. I think a few more apex predators would help the balance here. I feel the same way about rattle snakes. More of them would help get the rodent populations in check. I totally understand people who say no to the notion as well.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#93 Nov 13, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
The real scary thing about them is they don't come for you. They wait perched and pounce you. Still I would not mind if they returned. A N.Y. cougar would make a nice blanket.
billy bob hick

Rome, NY

#94 Nov 13, 2013
What's the name of the guy that shot it? easy enough to look him up in the phone book and go see it. Seems as how Westmoreland is right down the road I might know him... If the name is "some guy from out of the area" I raise the BS flag.
From Westmo

Utica, NY

#95 Nov 13, 2013
billy bob hick wrote:
What's the name of the guy that shot it? easy enough to look him up in the phone book and go see it. Seems as how Westmoreland is right down the road I might know him... If the name is "some guy from out of the area" I raise the BS flag.
Hiyas I'm from Westmoreland, Ivs been reading this thread here and there.Its pretty comical. Anywhew, I go into knucklheads for lunch a couple times a week and hit the local legions out here also.Trust me when I say I would have definitely heard about it and who did the shooting. I did however hear of a couple nice Bucks taken this year. A story like this would have made the news not only locally but regionally also.To further put it to rest. I received a text msg today of a wolf shot in Remsen. So my guess is its a text msg hoax.
Ya-Shoe da Polack

Utica, NY

#96 Nov 13, 2013
AS dumb as I am I think its not so far fetched that a wolf or wolves or even a mountain lion could find its way into NYS. I mean really the ADK like they couldn't survive out there unnoticed it could be possible.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#97 Nov 13, 2013
Ya-Shoe da Polack wrote:
AS dumb as I am I think its not so far fetched that a wolf or wolves or even a mountain lion could find its way into NYS. I mean really the ADK like they couldn't survive out there unnoticed it could be possible.
I don't think that for wolves. They travel in packs and vocalize. I think there presence would be known pretty quick. Cougars though hell yeah they could hide there for a long tme and no one know.
J Man

Utica, NY

#98 Nov 13, 2013
Agreed with most of your statement except for the part of the wolves. I believe there are not any mountain lions left in the State but as for wolves, use google to find an article regarding a hunter who shot a Timberwolf about seven or eight years ago about Amsterdam just inside the Adirondack park. The guys was calling in coyotes at dusk and said two huge coyotes apporached and he shot one of the. After seeing what he shot he contact the DEC. The DEC did a DNA test on the canine and determined it was in fact a Timber Wolf. Possible came down from Canada with a mate, but nonetheless was in the Adirondack Park. Other than that, no other proof of wolves or mountain lions. As for them being in Westmoreland, I am sure those are just large coyotes. I used to live adjacent to the New Hartford Town park and would often see very large coyotes in the ravine near our house. The coyotes actually tried to get to my two yellow labs that were penned outside next to the woods.
That's not true...I heard the same thing... So I actually called the regional DEC office.... Being an avid outdoorsman.... I wanted to know if I should be taking prevtative measures to protect myself, a MT.Lion will kill a grown man with ease..
DEC response was this........ ROTFLMAO..... in layman's terms... 1st of there would be public notification and awareness of a predatory cat of that nature being stocked anywhere in NY state.. MT lions have never and are not planned to be introduced introduced into NY wildlife....
Wolves aren't either....
A lot of you folks could really do yourself the benefit of the almighty Google... There are no wolves or mt lions in NY.... Call up your local DEC office or visit them they are right in downtown Utica.
weird

Utica, NY

#99 Nov 13, 2013
J Man wrote:
Agreed with most of your statement except for the part of the wolves. I believe there are not any mountain lions left in the State but as for wolves, use google to find an article regarding a hunter who shot a Timberwolf about seven or eight years ago about Amsterdam just inside the Adirondack park. The guys was calling in coyotes at dusk and said two huge coyotes apporached and he shot one of the. After seeing what he shot he contact the DEC. The DEC did a DNA test on the canine and determined it was in fact a Timber Wolf. Possible came down from Canada with a mate, but nonetheless was in the Adirondack Park. Other than that, no other proof of wolves or mountain lions. As for them being in Westmoreland, I am sure those are just large coyotes. I used to live adjacent to the New Hartford Town park and would often see very large coyotes in the ravine near our house. The coyotes actually tried to get to my two yellow labs that were penned outside next to the woods.
Wolves aren't either....
Very strange because the NYSDEC website says as of today there hasn't been a confirmed wolf kill or sighting in
NY for over 100 years
jim

Carlotta, CA

#100 Nov 13, 2013
yah wrote:
<quoted text>
Never happened just called town supervisor...
the town supervisor don't own a plane. And the Dec would use a helicopter. People are stupid and wanna sound special.
yah

Marlborough, MA

#101 Nov 13, 2013
jim wrote:
<quoted text> the town supervisor don't own a plane. And the Dec would use a helicopter. People are stupid and wanna sound special.
Oh I know. That's why I responded with the bit of sarcasm. I knew exactly as you said. They use helicopters for one. 2 the town supervisor doesn't have a private plane and neither does the previous town supervisor. 3 he wouldn't go up in the air with the DEC anyway.

People cease to amaze me with the utterly stupid comments they will make.
J Man

Utica, NY

#102 Nov 13, 2013
Check the Albany times Union article dated Oct 17, 2011 that discusses the wolf shot above Great Sacandaga Lake in 2002 by a hunter calling in coyotes. The article states that DEC and a wildlife museum did test the animal and confirmed it to be a Timber Wolf. I am not saying there are still wolves in the Adirondacks but there was at least one in 2002.
Keepng Utica Informed

Utica, NY

#103 Nov 13, 2013
It's a BS story with a photo shopped picture, obliviously someone with to much time on their hands.
starch factory creek

Brooklyn, NY

#105 Nov 13, 2013
About 30 yrs ago I saw a wolf down by the creek near MVCC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
low water levels at hinkley ? 1 min sucked dry 8
News Local radio personality leaves K-Rock 1 min WIBX 14
A third term for Obama 1 min wht 64
Answer the questions with song titles game (Mar '13) 27 min kat_thescript 3
Why do Dunkin Donut employees expect tips? (May '09) 27 min Saffron Blues 178
why are police shooting people 41 min Pick Your Poison 8
why i like trump ? 42 min Bad Economy Aroun... 3
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 3 hr Donttaxmebro 650
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages