timberwolf killed in Westmoreland?
Scary

Morris, NY

#64 Nov 10, 2013
Coyotes or wolves, packs or no packs we are talking about WILD ANIMALS. We can study their behavior and try to estimate their numbers but nothing is for certain with a wild animal. And not for nothing, we live near the largest protected wildlife area in the nation. There are parts of the Adirondaks that people haven't even stepped foot in. We can't know for sure what is or isn't out there.
Dana

Herkimer, NY

#65 Nov 10, 2013
It's not true. The picture circulating saying it was shot in westmireland has been circulating for the past 4 months
yote

Canton, MA

#66 Nov 10, 2013
Scary wrote:
Coyotes or wolves, packs or no packs we are talking about WILD ANIMALS. We can study their behavior and try to estimate their numbers but nothing is for certain with a wild animal. And not for nothing, we live near the largest protected wildlife area in the nation. There are parts of the Adirondaks that people haven't even stepped foot in. We can't know for sure what is or isn't out there.
Umm its not a protected wildlife area.If it were there would be no hunting etc etc etc..And not for nothing its the most accessible forest park in the country.. Roads and trails through out the whole thing..Trails to the top of every mountain, lake , pond, river and swamp. Just about every major lake has a village or a town. Take a drive from ootica to lake placid...
Scary

Morris, NY

#67 Nov 10, 2013
yote wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm its not a protected wildlife area.If it were there would be no hunting etc etc etc..And not for nothing its the most accessible forest park in the country.. Roads and trails through out the whole thing..Trails to the top of every mountain, lake , pond, river and swamp. Just about every major lake has a village or a town. Take a drive from ootica to lake placid...
OK, i'll bite. But only because it's late and I'm bored. 1. Look up Adirondak Park on your computer. Read the first few sentances of any site. It is a publically protected park. That does not mean no hunting. It provides restrictions on development of the 6 million plus acres. 2. Some more reading for you,(or they have a good video at The Wild Center) there are still extremely remote areas. And private property you will never see. 3. I've been to placid many times and climed a few high peaks. 4. It's not ootica it's chutica and I live about an hour south of it. But clearly morons can reside anywhere. See ya 'yote'-

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#68 Nov 10, 2013
Scary wrote:
<quoted text> OK, i'll bite. But only because it's late and I'm bored. 1. Look up Adirondak Park on your computer. Read the first few sentances of any site. It is a publically protected park. That does not mean no hunting. It provides restrictions on development of the 6 million plus acres. 2. Some more reading for you,(or they have a good video at The Wild Center) there are still extremely remote areas. And private property you will never see. 3. I've been to placid many times and climed a few high peaks. 4. It's not ootica it's chutica and I live about an hour south of it. But clearly morons can reside anywhere. See ya 'yote'-
He was right. It is a publicly(that is how it is spelled) protected sight. It is not however a protected wildlife sight. Protected wildlife sights are those that are cutoff from hunting and camping.
Scary

Morris, NY

#69 Nov 11, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text> He was right. It is a publicly(that is how it is spelled) protected sight. It is not however a protected wildlife sight. Protected wildlife sights are those that are cutoff from hunting and camping.
Gotcha, my wording was incorrect. If you read the post, my intent was never to say that there is no hunting in the Adirondaks! Just pointing out that we live next to a big park so I would think the chances of seeing wild animals may be greater. That is all.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#70 Nov 11, 2013
Scary wrote:
<quoted text> Gotcha, my wording was incorrect. If you read the post, my intent was never to say that there is no hunting in the Adirondaks! Just pointing out that we live next to a big park so I would think the chances of seeing wild animals may be greater. That is all.
Hope I see some in my traps next week when I go.
yote

Ithaca, NY

#71 Nov 11, 2013
Scary wrote:
<quoted text> OK, i'll bite. But only because it's late and I'm bored. 1. Look up Adirondak Park on your computer. Read the first few sentances of any site. It is a publically protected park. That does not mean no hunting. It provides restrictions on development of the 6 million plus acres. 2. Some more reading for you,(or they have a good video at The Wild Center) there are still extremely remote areas. And private property you will never see. 3. I've been to placid many times and climed a few high peaks. 4. It's not ootica it's chutica and I live about an hour south of it. But clearly morons can reside anywhere. See ya 'yote'-
Yeah and this moron resides in the Adirondack park so I think I know a bit about it. Been here for about 25 years now. 1. The restrictions on development are to keep the in the wilderness alure and apeal when on the water or a trail system. Its why homes cant be built right on tip of the water and you have to have some nut job from the APA come in and approve everything before you even dig a hole in the ground..The APA literally has more authority than the NYS government.2 my relatives are lifelong Adirondack residents, I would take a shot in the dark and say one of your " reads" was written by one of them. Private property I'll never see... wish I had a dollar everytime I heard that one. Well sir I've fished in the league club, the biggest chunk of private property in the daks. I've canoed the moose river from where it is as wide as a ditch to where it dumps I to the black river.I've canoed from long lake to McKeever.Stood on top of Marcy Sugar loaf, Blue, Algonquin etc etc etc.I've bushwhacked miles on top of miles of categorized " forever wild" land, and the one thing I've always encountered is a sign that someone else has been there..So pull this leg and it'll play jingle bells.... I know I know, so and so told you there are places no one has ever been. Horse crap, its the ADK park its not Alaska.3 when you live north of Utica its called ootica and anyone that lives south of it is a moron.
Adirondack Jack

Utica, NY

#72 Nov 11, 2013
Drunk Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as a coy dog... Coy dog is basically a feral dog.. Meaning a stray dog...The implication is that it is half coyote half dog....There isn't one documented case of a half dog half coyote anywhere... So it was either a stray dog, a dog off a leash or a coyote.... Now having seen many coyotes in my lifetime... I can assure you a coyote is roughly the size of an average size German Shepard they really aren't that much smaller than a wolf, and are very closely related to a wolf.....
That said mis-identification and old wives tales or drunken hillbilly talk usually lead to stories like this.
The average coyote can weigh about ~40#'s, with the female a bit less. In the St. Lawrence Valley, they can and will get to be up to ~65#'s with the ideal forage base. The large canine observed around here could be an Eastern Gray Wolf and they can average any where from 75#'s for a female to over 90#'s for a male. They primarily inhabit the area around the Great Lakes and Northward. Some state wildlife biologists believe that the coyotes and wolf species may inter-breed, which may explain the varying sizes and color shading.
The new school biologists are also warming up to the idea that Eastern Mountain Lions/Cougars aren't an impossibility, as they do exist in southern Canada and in New England as well. Remember Moose were a rarity 30 years ago, but seeing one today is far from a rarity ...... why not mountain lions. There are more solitary and more elusive than a moose.
jim

Fortuna, CA

#74 Nov 11, 2013
If mountain Lions aren't in new York how come at least one is hit a year in Canaan new york. Get your facts right. Mt.lions are out there. And there is always the possibility of a coyote breeding with fido and making a monster.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#75 Nov 11, 2013
jim wrote:
If mountain Lions aren't in new York how come at least one is hit a year in Canaan new york. Get your facts right. Mt.lions are out there. And there is always the possibility of a coyote breeding with fido and making a monster.
Not much of possibility. Coyotes will not readily breed with dogs and never in nature will they breed with grey wolves. Grey wolves will hunt and kill coyotes they know are in there range and coyotes stay very far from them. Coyotes will breed with the much smaller red wolf which our population is part, proven by DNA samples.
lefty larry

Utica, NY

#76 Nov 11, 2013
jim wrote:
good points!
Adirondack Jack

Utica, NY

#77 Nov 11, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text> Not much of possibility. Coyotes will not readily breed with dogs and never in nature will they breed with grey wolves. Grey wolves will hunt and kill coyotes they know are in there range and coyotes stay very far from them. Coyotes will breed with the much smaller red wolf which our population is part, proven by DNA samples.
Not going to argue with what you said, as what you said is plausible, but this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_wolf

said the following: "In May 2011, an analysis of red wolf, Eastern wolf, gray wolf, and dog genomes revealed that the red wolf was 7680 percent coyote and only 2024 percent gray wolf while the Eastern wolf is 58% gray wolf and 42% coyote, suggesting that the red wolf is actually much more coyote in origin than the Eastern wolf.[8] This study analyzed 48,000 SNP concluded that both the Eastern wolves and red wolves are hybrids between gray wolves and coyotes and found no evidence for a unique Eastern wolf or red wolf species." [9]
Mt Liar

Ithaca, NY

#78 Nov 11, 2013
jim wrote:
Because its never happened..The only Mt. Lion hit by a car in the northeast that i can remember was in Connecticut a few years ago and that MT. Lion was one of 2 in captivity that escaped and soon after was struck by a vehicle if my memory serves me correct. I believe it made national news. So if a MT lion gets hit in Canaan every year how come we never hear about it ? How come the DEC has no record of the MT lion vehicle accidents ? I'll tell you why so you can your facts straight.. Because its never happened.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#79 Nov 11, 2013
Adirondack Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Not going to argue with what you said, as what you said is plausible, but this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_wolf
said the following: "In May 2011, an analysis of red wolf, Eastern wolf, gray wolf, and dog genomes revealed that the red wolf was 7680 percent coyote and only 2024 percent gray wolf while the Eastern wolf is 58% gray wolf and 42% coyote, suggesting that the red wolf is actually much more coyote in origin than the Eastern wolf.[8] This study analyzed 48,000 SNP concluded that both the Eastern wolves and red wolves are hybrids between gray wolves and coyotes and found no evidence for a unique Eastern wolf or red wolf species." [9]
I've seen that wiki too but it contradicts all the books I have read on them. Who really knows I guess.
big pete

Little Falls, NY

#80 Nov 11, 2013
go to fort rickey and see the timber wolf its huge about 150 to 200 lbs coyotes are a lot smaller like tops 60lbs would be a huge coyote for example. it may be possible that a wolf hybrid was seen in the aera though
OK Know it All

Utica, NY

#81 Nov 11, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text> He was right. It is a publicly(that is how it is spelled) protected sight. It is not however a protected wildlife sight. Protected wildlife sights are those that are cutoff from hunting and camping.
That's site not sight dummy!

Sight
1. The ability to see.
2. The act or fact of seeing: hoping for a sight of land; caught sight of a rare bird.
3. Field of vision.

Site
1. The place where a structure or group of structures was, is, or is to be located: a good site for the school.
2. The place or setting of something: a historic site; a job site.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#82 Nov 11, 2013
OK Know it All wrote:
<quoted text>That's site not sight dummy!
Sight
1. The ability to see.
2. The act or fact of seeing: hoping for a sight of land; caught sight of a rare bird.
3. Field of vision.
Site
1. The place where a structure or group of structures was, is, or is to be located: a good site for the school.
OOOHHH sorry and thank you for that one. I'm going on very little sleep here. I got a colic baby over hear who is up all night screaming. Bad typo and I humbly admit it is a dumb one.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#83 Nov 11, 2013
OK Know it All wrote:
<quoted text>That's site not sight dummy!
Sight
1. The ability to see.
3. Field of vision.
Site
Nor am I claiming to know it all.
Scary

Morris, NY

#84 Nov 11, 2013
yote wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah and this moron resides in the Adirondack park so I think I know a bit about it. Been here for about 25 years now. 1. The restrictions on development are to keep the in the wilderness alure and apeal when on the water or a trail system. Its why homes cant be built right on tip of the water and you have to have some nut job from the APA come in and approve everything before you even dig a hole in the ground..The APA literally has more authority than the NYS government.2 my relatives are lifelong Adirondack residents, I would take a shot in the dark and say one of your " reads" was written by one of them. Private property I'll never see... wish I had a dollar everytime I heard that one. Well sir I've fished in the league club, the biggest chunk of private property in the daks. I've canoed the moose river from where it is as wide as a ditch to where it dumps I to the black river.I've canoed from long lake to McKeever.Stood on top of Marcy Sugar loaf, Blue, Algonquin etc etc etc.I've bushwhacked miles on top of miles of categorized " forever wild" land, and the one thing I've always encountered is a sign that someone else has been there..So pull this leg and it'll play jingle bells.... I know I know, so and so told you there are places no one has ever been. Horse crap, its the ADK park its not Alaska.3 when you live north of Utica its called ootica and anyone that lives south of it is a moron.
Thanks for the attitude Yote. That was 20 minutes of my life i'll never get back spent in a pissing contest with you. I didn't like you assuming I lived in Utica, you didn't like me assuming there wasn't an inch of adirondacks you have not set foot on. All I was saying- and it's just my OPINION- is that there is a lot of arguing about what animals people have/have not seen. And that there are exceptions to animal behaviors and where they reside. That's all. FTW: Hope you catch some. If you do, post a pic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are Dems Always Angry? 20 min MAGA 16
Who is Elizabeth olmstead 22 min Hotutican 1
Elaine Bonanza 28 min NOjoe 34
News Upstate job growth slow despite taxpayer subsidies (Mar '17) 2 hr Trumps Army 300
Mike Ambrose 3 hr Boom 11
Send Them Back and Build That Wall 3 hr Boom 6
Piazza k9 services 4 hr Forrestforthetrees 86
Herb Philipson's being sold 8 hr Archie 103
So I Was In Lowes 9 hr A Taxpayer 74
WIBX is an absolute joke 10 hr Cover Pelosi 39
Yorville fire. Wktv. Wow!! 11 hr Zipline 43

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages