Facts

Utica, NY

#43 Nov 9, 2013
The DEC has done aerial surveillance a few years back in the areas of New Hartford, Clinton and Kirkland because of reports from residents living in Cherrywood Community and the DEC did spot coyotes and a wolf.
One could hear the coyotes howling when the fire department sirens went off. The howling was taped by the residents which was the reason for the DEC's aerial surveillance.
Ralph

Utica, NY

#44 Nov 9, 2013
I seen Big Foot running around the Pond on Valley View Road!!!!
buttmuncher

Utica, NY

#45 Nov 9, 2013
Im going squatching in the morning
Davy Crockett

Rhinebeck, NY

#46 Nov 9, 2013
Hey, fellers, let's go get them! Get ur muskets!
well I am just saying

Waterloo, NY

#47 Nov 10, 2013
Facts wrote:
The DEC has done aerial surveillance a few years back in the areas of New Hartford, Clinton and Kirkland because of reports from residents living in Cherrywood Community and the DEC did spot coyotes and a wolf.
One could hear the coyotes howling when the fire department sirens went off. The howling was taped by the residents which was the reason for the DEC's aerial surveillance.
Coyotes are very common in the area. There would be no need to conduct aerial surveillance to confirm that. I have even seen one up close while hunting a few miles west of clinton.

While it is possible that a wolf could migrate here from Canada, I doubt that the NYSDEC spotted one in the area.

Where did you get the information? Let me guess...your brother has a friend who knows someone who works at the NYSDEC?
atnight

Utica, NY

#48 Nov 10, 2013
I live in Oriskany and I hear coyotes all the time. Sometimes they sound pretty crazy like they are fighting, maybe over food.

Here's some facts for you:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9359.html
BSer

Carlisle, MA

#49 Nov 10, 2013
Coyotes wrote:
My Black Lab has killed several coyotes in my backyard. Im in Oriskany.
Bull shit. Coyotes would rip a dog apart.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#50 Nov 10, 2013
It is also interesting to note. The eastern coyote population has been shown to be a mix of coyote and red wolf through DNA analysis. That is why they are so big compared to western coyotes. I believe it is 75% coyote 25% red wolf.
Coyotes

Watertown, NY

#51 Nov 10, 2013
BSer wrote:
<quoted text>

Maybe a small dog. My dog is 80 lbs. You can call bs all you want. Next time I will photograph the body for you.
Scary

South New Berlin, NY

#52 Nov 10, 2013
BSer wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it, lab is most likely about the same size and defending it's turf so if there wasn't a whole pack of coyotes it is possible. I have personally just seen them in pairs. But when you're just listening two can sound like more.
Facts

Utica, NY

#53 Nov 10, 2013
well I am just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Coyotes are very common in the area. There would be no need to conduct aerial surveillance to confirm that. I have even seen one up close while hunting a few miles west of clinton.
While it is possible that a wolf could migrate here from Canada, I doubt that the NYSDEC spotted one in the area.
Where did you get the information? Let me guess...your brother has a friend who knows someone who works at the NYSDEC?
No actually these "facts" came directly from N.Hartford's former town supervisor who did the surveillance with the DEC in his own private plane. The surveillance was to spot how many coyotoes in the area of Cherrywood, the sightings of the bear and wolf in the areas mentioned and "all" were spotted by air.
You got any more sarcastic questions my friend?
well I am just saying

Waterloo, NY

#54 Nov 10, 2013
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
No actually these "facts" came directly from N.Hartford's former town supervisor who did the surveillance with the DEC in his own private plane. The surveillance was to spot how many coyotoes in the area of Cherrywood, the sightings of the bear and wolf in the areas mentioned and "all" were spotted by air.
An even worse source...a politician!!! Are you kidding me?

I am not doubting that someone told you the story. I do not believe that they actually saw a wolf. Maybe they saw a coyote that they thought was a wolf, but I can almost guarantee that it was not.

yah

Carlisle, MA

#55 Nov 10, 2013
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Never happened just called town supervisor...
BOZO

Carlisle, MA

#56 Nov 10, 2013
According to the NYSDEC website there hasn't been a confirmed/boneified wolf sighting in NY in over 100 years...
well I am just saying

Waterloo, NY

#57 Nov 10, 2013
BOZO wrote:
According to the NYSDEC website there hasn't been a confirmed/boneified wolf sighting in NY in over 100 years...
Correct...but there were several wolf-dog hybrids that were confirmed out near one of the indian reservations. It is illegal to kill an eastern timber wolf, but the people who killed the hyrids did not get in trouble because DNA analysis confirmed they were hybrids.
OUT NEAR

Carlisle, MA

#59 Nov 10, 2013
well I am just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct...but there were several wolf-dog hybrids that were confirmed out near one of the indian reservations. It is illegal to kill an eastern timber wolf, but the people who killed the hyrids did not get in trouble because DNA analysis confirmed they were hybrids.
I live OUT NEAR the Indian reservation.. Not only would everyone just simplify their lives by going on the DEC website , they would put an end to the jibber jabber like this.... There's no wolf hybrids there's no coy dogs there's no god dam wolves.... There is COYOTES , COYOTes in the north east are distant relatives of grey wolves. They have been migrating here in greater numbers over the past 25 years......1 the climate has been warmer 2 the deer population...There isnt 1000s of them in the area.. There is 5 known packs.. They migrate anywhere from 50 to 200 miles.Each pack is roughly 15-20 coyotes.. The howling we hear is because we are on the edge of 2 territories of 2 different packs...I spend countless hours in the woods... Guess how many coyotes I've seen in the past 25 years.......... 2......... that's it 2....so all this hocus pocus talk of town supervisors in private planes and other mumbo jumbo can be laid to rest.... There are coyotes here theyre closely related to wolves.... get over it...
well I am just saying

Waterloo, NY

#60 Nov 10, 2013
OUT NEAR wrote:
<quoted text>
I live OUT NEAR the Indian reservation.. Not only would everyone just simplify their lives by going on the DEC website , they would put an end to the jibber jabber like this.... There's no wolf hybrids there's no coy dogs there's no god dam wolves.... There is COYOTES , COYOTes in the north east are distant relatives of grey wolves. They have been migrating here in greater numbers over the past 25 years......1 the climate has been warmer 2 the deer population...There isnt 1000s of them in the area.. There is 5 known packs.. They migrate anywhere from 50 to 200 miles.Each pack is roughly 15-20 coyotes.. The howling we hear is because we are on the edge of 2 territories of 2 different packs...I spend countless hours in the woods... Guess how many coyotes I've seen in the past 25 years.......... 2......... that's it 2....so all this hocus pocus talk of town supervisors in private planes and other mumbo jumbo can be laid to rest.... There are coyotes here theyre closely related to wolves.... get over it...
The wolf-dog hybrids were OUT NEAR the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe...I never said it was the Oneida Indian Reservation. I will post the news release later tonight.

Coyotes do not normally travel in packs of 15-20 animals. They are located almost anywhere in NYS where there is sufficient food and cover for them. Coyotes are rarely seen because they are most active at night just like foxes and raccoons.
John

Ray, OH

#61 Nov 10, 2013
OUT NEAR wrote:
<quoted text>
You are nuts, I live in Westerville and seen 3 today while deer hunting. Two packs my two balls. You don't know what you are talking about.
yote

Carlisle, MA

#62 Nov 10, 2013
Yotes don't form packs, but I know what that dude was trying to say. Yotes generally stay in groups of like 5,6,7 or 8 at the most.Trust me I've hunted them for a very long time. Those groups are usually mom and pop and pups. Mom and pop will kick the pups out when they get big enough.Usually the pups will settle into an adjoining area.But for the most part a family or group of 6 or so yotes will roam a radius or area of about 20 miles MAX. And when you hear that howling its usually a territorial thing between 2 or 3 yote families that are proably all brothers and sisters but have their own families and areas/ territory.All of that said there is about 25000 yotes in NY state.
yote

Carlisle, MA

#63 Nov 10, 2013
yote wrote:
Yotes don't form packs, but I know what that dude was trying to say. Yotes generally stay in groups of like 5,6,7 or 8 at the most.Trust me I've hunted them for a very long time. Those groups are usually mom and pop and pups. Mom and pop will kick the pups out when they get big enough.Usually the pups will settle into an adjoining area.But for the most part a family or group of 6 or so yotes will roam a radius or area of about 20 miles MAX. And when you hear that howling its usually a territorial thing between 2 or 3 yote families that are proably all brothers and sisters but have their own families and areas/ territory.All of that said there is about 25000 yotes in NY state.
And considering there is 50k square miles in NY that breaks down to 1 coyote for every 2 square miles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr Ronald Labuz MVCC 15 min Collateral Damaged 1
Utica needs WARNING SIGN! Oh wait............. 18 min LMAO 2
most people on topix have mental illness 19 min See ya there 9
Who is gonna win the Daytona 500? 26 min Evolve 7
Just don't believe in Utica.... Utica never bel... 29 min Perfect 4
Why is Utica promoting J. Abel the DWI cop? 30 min As predicted 5
NEWS! Notre Dame Coach canned for drinking with... 32 min Bally 5
Bullying Utica judge censured for calling lawye... 1 hr Make those excuses 21
West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you remember (Dec '09) 4 hr Daughter 888
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 6 hr Ex-Democrat 533
Section 3 basketball predictions 10 hr Herb Brooks 27
Wboro/ND 13 hr saddened 8
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:10 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:10PM