First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wildthing

Herkimer, NY

#1 Jan 5, 2014
The Mohawk Valley just got a late Christmas present. The editor of the OD, Kris Worrell, is leaving. She can take her cupcake journalism with her too! Maybe the OD can get some decent articles in the paper again. Perhaps the fact the circulation dropped to around 24,000 daily is a factor too! Obviously, things are wrong at the paper. Too bad their Publisher, Donna, didn't go also.
Utica Potholes

Clifton Park, NY

#2 Jan 5, 2014
When your readership is so low and you have to print your newspaper in bighampton you can only expect so much. They really should just shut it down.
former OD reader

Ilion, NY

#3 Jan 5, 2014
Kris "Cupcake" Worrell ruined the O-D by pushing a constant drumbeat of "good news" at the expense of hard-hitting journalism that the O-D actually did quite well under the leadership of former editor Joe Kieta.

News of Worrell leaving is the best "good news" the OD has published in the three years Worrell has been there!

don't let the door hit you on the way out, cupcake!
tony bommarito

Verona, NY

#4 Jan 5, 2014
She was only making about $27K/year at the OD. Another reason for leaving.
Tom

Austin, TX

#5 Jan 5, 2014
Bye Bye Liberal. Many of my friends cancelled receiving the Utica Newspaper when they went cupcake. Then they miniaturized the paper to an over sized postage stamp. It was not worth reading at all. Besides, the news of mainly wire news and a day late.
huntz hall

Verona, NY

#6 Jan 5, 2014
They cherry pick which stories to print so long as the guilty parties aren't embarrassed. DYK a Rome PD officer was fired from the force last month for beating up someone in a Camden bar? Nothing in the O-D or the Rome Sentinel.

Level 2

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#7 Jan 5, 2014
I can read the OD while I wait in line at the store. There is at most only one or two local articles that are worth reading. Everything else is available for free on the internet.

Why would I pay to read something that I already read on the internet or heard on the radio one or two days before?

I noticed that the Syracuse Post Standard Sunday paper is twenty five cents cheaper than the OD.
Pathetic

Utica, NY

#8 Jan 5, 2014
Only thing that paper is good for is finding out who got a DWI. Lazy "Reporters" just hang out in court and make petty crimes major stories. OD reporters=Losers that can't get real jobs.
Utica Potholes

Clifton Park, NY

#9 Jan 5, 2014
wellimjustsaying wrote:
I can read the OD while I wait in line at the store. There is at most only one or two local articles that are worth reading. Everything else is available for free on the internet.
Why would I pay to read something that I already read on the internet or heard on the radio one or two days before?
I noticed that the Syracuse Post Standard Sunday paper is twenty five cents cheaper than the OD.
Don't forget the coo-ponz! LOL!!!
disneyland

Herkimer, NY

#10 Jan 5, 2014
Interesting that the newspaper where she is going to is headed by publisher Mark Blum. He was the controller for the OD years ago. I find it hard to believe that they would hire a cupcake journalist to run their newsroom but then again, it's their money! Good to see her go as the place went downhill with her good news articles. She forgot how to report real news though.
Slip Sliding Away

Schenectady, NY

#11 Jan 5, 2014
Won't read the rag...Want to save the paper ditch Donovan.
First Time Dumb Dumb

Utica, NY

#12 Jan 5, 2014
We cancelled our delivery more than a year ago and do not miss it a bit. They even sent us a 50% off deal to start up again.Sorry Donna.
former OD reader

Ilion, NY

#13 Jan 5, 2014
disneyland wrote:
Interesting that the newspaper where she is going to is headed by publisher Mark Blum. He was the controller for the OD years ago. I find it hard to believe that they would hire a cupcake journalist to run their newsroom but then again, it's their money! Good to see her go as the place went downhill with her good news articles. She forgot how to report real news though.
She "forgot" how to report real news?

nah, she never knew how.
Nancy

Utica, NY

#14 Jan 5, 2014
Hopefullly, there will be an article about this in the OD!
Utica Potholes

Clifton Park, NY

#15 Jan 5, 2014
Nancy wrote:
Hopefullly, there will be an article about this in the OD!
Now that's funny! LOL!!!
Double Check

Liverpool, NY

#16 Jan 6, 2014
Cancelled our OD subscription a couple of months ago and went with The Rome Sentinel. Depending on where you live, they will deliver or mail. We are in Whitesboro so they do both. Much cheaper.

OD's gone down hill every since Donna Donovan started. I don't think it's professional to publish articles about your children/school/home/vacations . It further reiterates to the readership the "haves vs the have nots" in the Utica area. I could care less about Donovan and her family. I want the real news!
Utica Potholes

Clifton Park, NY

#17 Jan 6, 2014
Double Check wrote:
Cancelled our OD subscription a couple of months ago and went with The Rome Sentinel. Depending on where you live, they will deliver or mail. We are in Whitesboro so they do both. Much cheaper.
OD's gone down hill every since Donna Donovan started. I don't think it's professional to publish articles about your children/school/home/vacations . It further reiterates to the readership the "haves vs the have nots" in the Utica area. I could care less about Donovan and her family. I want the real news!
As someone who has met her several times...she's very self serving. Enough said.
No More Double Talk

Utica, NY

#18 Jan 7, 2014
The primary problem with the OD is that they do not pay enough to attract a skilled investigative reporter let alone more than one. Their reporters do not even know how to ask a real question. As a result, all serious stories are superficial and uninteresting. That is why they can only concentrate on social type stories. It will never change given the small market and tiny payroll.
Whitesboro White Trash

Clifton Park, NY

#19 Jan 7, 2014
No More Double Talk wrote:
The primary problem with the OD is that they do not pay enough to attract a skilled investigative reporter let alone more than one. Their reporters do not even know how to ask a real question. As a result, all serious stories are superficial and uninteresting. That is why they can only concentrate on social type stories. It will never change given the small market and tiny payroll.
Correct.
Whitesboro White Trash

Clifton Park, NY

#21 Jan 7, 2014
Oberver Cupcake Dispatch wrote:
I notice the OD started in on the glory and awesomeness of the utica toilet bowl aka "Aud" and they are repeating the urban legend that the aud was the "inspiration" and "prototype" for MSG despite many other buildings like it some dating back to the 20s!
They really should call that the "Utica Observer Cupcake Recipe Dispatch".
But it's in utica. Don't you know the entire world revolves around utica!!! LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has Topix Influenced Your Views About Living Here? 7 min Genius 25
Utica named top 10 cities to live in the world 8 min Genius 34
Time Warner 10 min Marie 8
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 10 min Typical Stucchi D... 416
Sex with a Black Man-Any good? 29 min AmyBeachGirl 10
Miss You 40 min elfed 21
How's abusive UPD Eddy Smith's new "marriage" g... 54 min Discusting ho 7
East Utica in the 70's and 80's/ what do you re... (Jan '10) 7 hr Diabetic Utican 381
Serious car accident in Utica 7 hr Diabetic Utican 35

Flood Warning for Oneida County was issued at December 25 at 1:47PM EST

Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News