Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

one who knows wrote:
Who is "jealous" of a Teacher?
We, the TAXPAPERS, that pay their salaries every year have every right to voice our dissatifaction with the entire School Board operations - which include Teachers' salaries!!!!
Teaching should be a chosen occupation for those that want to turn a child's life around and watch them bloom when they finally understand the subject the Teacher is teaching them. It has nothing to do with race - it all comes back to the way the "Teacher" uses her/his skills to teach.
I have a Grandaughter who always hated Social Studies, World History, and anything to learn about History ever since she was in 4th Grade. She could not see any reason to learn about "history" as she couldn't understand why she had to learn something that happened years and years ago. Every Summer she had to go to Summer School to re-take a Social Studies Class in order to pass this subject.
Last year, as a Junior at Proctor, she was very fortunate to have a young male Teacher, newly hired, as her Teacher for History. This young man made Class learning "fun" (in her words) and she ended up with an "A" and a new found love in History!!!!!
Unfortunately, due to seniority rules, he is no longer a Teacher at Proctor (does sub work occasionally). IMO - this is the kind of Teacher the School system should keep - not the ones that have lost all their joy in teaching.
Secondedly, Teachers are way over-paid for what they do. They only work 1/2 of a year (180 days), have Summers off, vacations when their Winter, Spring, etc. breaks occur. When was the last time you ever heard of a Teacher devoting her time AFTER school hours to work with a failing student? Most of them rush out the doors as soon as the Bell rings announcing school hours are over with!!!!!
Where is our tax money going when Proctor has such a high Drop Out Rate and the education children receive in Utica is sub-standard?
Taxpayers have every right to complain - NONE of us are "jealous" but we are disgusted with the way our money is being spent.
Just wanted to comment how much this post is on the mark. Additionally, wanted to add my 2 cents. Teachers, do you realize how you have become the "enemy" to so many parents and TAXPAYERS. Your arrogant, uppity, could care less attitude, tenured bullshot, unionization has made you the scourge of the community. Test scores decreasing every year, more money to you every year, no accountability and then the tenure attitude. I hope you all get fired, I personally KNOW I could home school and achieve higher test scores than you so called professionals. Teachers make me sick. Believe it, this is the attitude of the people that pay your salary!!

Level 7

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Teachers should be compensated in a manner commensurate to the importance of their Job.

Lawyers, Politicians, Scientists, Engineers, Business Executives, CEO's.
None of these people are as valuable to society as Teachers.

Doctors keep us alive, Teachers help us to have a Life, Teachers should be paid at least as much as Doctors, and they should be given Huge Golden Parachute retirement plans.
Knowing

Westerlo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Spellcheck -sorry for being a little heavy on the s key. It shows your capacity of knowledge or lack of that you would complain about spelling and not content. Typical
Laughable

Westerlo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

It seems to me that your granddaughter took the class seriously mainly because her hormones were raging. Crushes on teachers in high school will do that.
joe teacher

Belchertown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

one who knows wrote:
Who is "jealous" of a Teacher?
We, the TAXPAPERS, that pay their salaries every year have every right to voice our dissatifaction with the entire School Board operations - which include Teachers' salaries!!!!
Teaching should be a chosen occupation for those that want to turn a child's life around and watch them bloom when they finally understand the subject the Teacher is teaching them. It has nothing to do with race - it all comes back to the way the "Teacher" uses her/his skills to teach.
I have a Grandaughter who always hated Social Studies, World History, and anything to learn about History ever since she was in 4th Grade. She could not see any reason to learn about "history" as she couldn't understand why she had to learn something that happened years and years ago. Every Summer she had to go to Summer School to re-take a Social Studies Class in order to pass this subject.
Last year, as a Junior at Proctor, she was very fortunate to have a young male Teacher, newly hired, as her Teacher for History. This young man made Class learning "fun" (in her words) and she ended up with an "A" and a new found love in History!!!!!
Unfortunately, due to seniority rules, he is no longer a Teacher at Proctor (does sub work occasionally). IMO - this is the kind of Teacher the School system should keep - not the ones that have lost all their joy in teaching.
Secondedly, Teachers are way over-paid for what they do. They only work 1/2 of a year (180 days), have Summers off, vacations when their Winter, Spring, etc. breaks occur. When was the last time you ever heard of a Teacher devoting her time AFTER school hours to work with a failing student? Most of them rush out the doors as soon as the Bell rings announcing school hours are over with!!!!!
Where is our tax money going when Proctor has such a high Drop Out Rate and the education children receive in Utica is sub-standard?
Taxpayers have every right to complain - NONE of us are "jealous" but we are disgusted with the way our money is being spent.
. Oh please, I teach at Proctor, you know shit! I can't help it if your grandaughter is a twit. Your comments can't be taken seriously because you give no facts to back you up and contradict yourself. Case in point, "my gd has hated social studies since 4th grade, blah, blah, blah!". You just explained why the dropout rate is so high, at Proctor, or in many other city schools, where race does indeed factor in. We don't teach in suburbia, where education is valued by kids from 2 parent families. Our kids worry about alot more serious things like where their next meal is coming from or where they're going to sleep at night, maybe not even in a bed! Or is mommy gonna be high tonite and can't help with homework, or maybe mommy is entertaining male guests coming and going. The teachers in Utica ought to collaborate and write a book of the things we deal with. Professionally, we are told what to teach, to pass a test. No time for being creative to enhance lessons. To keep kids interested. Class is not a video game or rap song. Oh, and we also pay taxes and shop in our community. Many of us do alot of things to stay up to date as teachers. I can't tell you how much teachers use of their own money for supplies. A part-time job? C'mon man, is that all you can come up with? Did you ever grade papers, read essays, prepare lessons? Meet and work with kids during your lunch or afterschool? Like you say we don't! I'm sure if your gd said she wanted to be teacher or tune would change. Right grampa?
joe teacher

Belchertown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

YOUR tune would change!
one who knows

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

joe teacher wrote:
<quoted text>. Oh please, I teach at Proctor, you know shit! I can't help it if your grandaughter is a twit. Your comments can't be taken seriously because you give no facts to back you up and contradict yourself. Case in point, "my gd has hated social studies since 4th grade, blah, blah, blah!". You just explained why the dropout rate is so high, at Proctor, or in many other city schools, where race does indeed factor in. We don't teach in suburbia, where education is valued by kids from 2 parent families. Our kids worry about alot more serious things like where their next meal is coming from or where they're going to sleep at night, maybe not even in a bed! Or is mommy gonna be high tonite and can't help with homework, or maybe mommy is entertaining male guests coming and going. The teachers in Utica ought to collaborate and write a book of the things we deal with. Professionally, we are told what to teach, to pass a test. No time for being creative to enhance lessons. To keep kids interested. Class is not a video game or rap song. Oh, and we also pay taxes and shop in our community. Many of us do alot of things to stay up to date as teachers. I can't tell you how much teachers use of their own money for supplies. A part-time job? C'mon man, is that all you can come up with? Did you ever grade papers, read essays, prepare lessons? Meet and work with kids during your lunch or afterschool? Like you say we don't! I'm sure if your gd said she wanted to be teacher or tune would change. Right grampa?
If YOU are the typical example of the Teachers at Proctor, all I can say is God help us!!!! It is "Teachers" like you with your opinions that is the reason why Proctor has such a reputation for being such a bad school AND the results speak for themselves. Proctor has a very high Drop Out Rate and do NOT do well on their performance ratings complied by NYS. Some of our surburbia schools do a heck of lot better and their School Budgets are only 20% of what Utica taxpapers have to pay.

To clear up your misconception of my GD, she is white and comes from a Middle Class Family that does help her with her homework (when needed) and values education. She is only 16 and her parents do NOT allow her to date, but she does have an active social life with her friends at her Church which sponsors many activities for teens. She does NOT have a "crush" on the History Teacher who helped turn her interest in History around. She is far from being "boy crazy"! She has been accepted at a college where upon Graduation this year she wants to pursue her goal of becoming an Attorney. Her ultimate goal is to help the poor.

Yes, I do know what it is like to bring work home and get up from the dinner table and go into my home office and work until bedtime. Correcting test papers and reading essays would be a snap compared to the type of work I do!

My advice to you that as long as your have the "attitude" and "assumptions" of what children contend with at their homes, you are definitely in the wrong profession. It is "Teachers" like you and your opinions that has brought down any respect Teachers once had many, many years ago.

Level 7

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>If YOU are the typical example of the Teachers at Proctor, all I can say is God help us!!!! It is "Teachers" like you with your opinions that is the reason why Proctor has such a reputation for being such a bad school AND the results speak for themselves. Proctor has a very high Drop Out Rate and do NOT do well on their performance ratings complied by NYS. Some of our surburbia schools do a heck of lot better and their School Budgets are only 20% of what Utica taxpapers have to pay.
To clear up your misconception of my GD, she is white and comes from a Middle Class Family that does help her with her homework (when needed) and values education. She is only 16 and her parents do NOT allow her to date, but she does have an active social life with her friends at her Church which sponsors many activities for teens. She does NOT have a "crush" on the History Teacher who helped turn her interest in History around. She is far from being "boy crazy"! She has been accepted at a college where upon Graduation this year she wants to pursue her goal of becoming an Attorney. Her ultimate goal is to help the poor.
Yes, I do know what it is like to bring work home and get up from the dinner table and go into my home office and work until bedtime. Correcting test papers and reading essays would be a snap compared to the type of work I do!
My advice to you that as long as your have the "attitude" and "assumptions" of what children contend with at their homes, you are definitely in the wrong profession. It is "Teachers" like you and your opinions that has brought down any respect Teachers once had many, many years ago.
Attitude and assumptions? It is called Reality. The #1 greatest indicators of Educational outcomes are Socioeconomic.
Your Grand Daughter has no idea what Food insecurity is, No way to comprehend how that might change her ability to pay attention in class. Depending on the School district your Grand Daughter attends she probably has never been exposed to any of these concepts.
teacher

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Bodhisatva wrote:
<quoted text>Attitude and assumptions? It is called Reality. The #1 greatest indicators of Educational outcomes are Socioeconomic.
Your Grand Daughter has no idea what Food insecurity is, No way to comprehend how that might change her ability to pay attention in class. Depending on the School district your Grand Daughter attends she probably has never been exposed to any of these concepts.
I teach at Proctor...it is the most underappreciated profession in this area, given the attitudes on this site. I love what I do every single day. People really have no idea what it is like to look into the eyes of a student and see what we see each and every day. There are some bad apples as in all things but many of us are truly there to make a difference in our students' lives. Thank you.
Bodhi is an idiot

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Teacher leech off the taxpayers, They work part time jobs with full time pay and rolls royce benefits. Teachers are greedy part time workers who don't give a damn about the students.
Prof Plum

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

How dare you. I work 4 hours a day and 30 weeks per year. That 80k I make for part time work is way less than I am worth. I get almost half of my students to get passing grades.

Level 4

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Nothing will change in education until a unified front is used as a teaching guideline. They all use different series to teach. They all have different core standards. They all have a different belief in ease and difficulty.

It makes it hard to lay blame when we as a public have no idea what is supposed to be taught. There is no way for a parent to work along with a teacher because we have no clue where they are going with it.

Each teacher is so different that it makes it hard on a child because they have to adapt to their style and struggle with stuff they already know but it is being taught in a different way.

I don't think the teachers are the problem. I think it is more of district/state problem with the constant change without training and testing before implementing.

Level 4

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Bodhi is an idiot wrote:
Teacher leech off the taxpayers, They work part time jobs with full time pay and rolls royce benefits. Teachers are greedy part time workers who don't give a damn about the students.
I'm confused why people have to blast other peoples jobs. You had just as much of an opportunity to do these jobs but decided not too. Obviously its not as easy of a job as people think with the turn over rate in city schools.

The saying goes don't throw stones in a glass house. There will always be someone who is better, works harder, works less, makes more then I do. Guess what? More power to them.
one who knows my ask

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Hey flunko,if yu would get yur head out of your mothers ask,you would know that teachers are taxpayers also. Which means that most likely teaches pay for your food stamps,HEAP,medicaid,rent,and all the other things yo leach on the system. If you have a child,lets hope and I mean hope that he or she is like Marilyn on the Munsters.

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Bodhisatva wrote:
Teachers should be compensated in a manner commensurate to the importance of their Job.
The marketplace sets the value. Is there another way to do it?
Well Educated

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Bodhi is an idiot wrote:
I love my Rolls Royce Pension!!!, in fact, I own a winter home in Florida! How about you!! Still using my tax dollars to support your welfare?
cant believe bashing

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

I don't understand all the bashing on teachers. I'm not a teacher and don't think I could do the job and in my opinion they are underpaid for what is required of them. Instead of bashing the teacher maybe you should get more involved with your child's education. Is your child giving the effort that is needed or helping themselves. Why should a teacher be punished if the child doesn't put forth the effort. I bet that 90% PF the students that are doing poorly is due to lack of effort, not doing the homework, not studying or having parents that rather be their child's best friend instead of being a parent. I bet if a child should interest and put forth the effort any teacher would bend over back words to help the child.
disgussted

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

frankcor wrote:
<quoted text>The marketplace sets the value. Is there another way to do it?
It is their UNION - NOT the "marketplace"!
disgussted

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

cant believe bashing wrote:
I don't understand all the bashing on teachers. I'm not a teacher and don't think I could do the job and in my opinion they are underpaid for what is required of them. Instead of bashing the teacher maybe you should get more involved with your child's education. Is your child giving the effort that is needed or helping themselves. Why should a teacher be punished if the child doesn't put forth the effort. I bet that 90% PF the students that are doing poorly is due to lack of effort, not doing the homework, not studying or having parents that rather be their child's best friend instead of being a parent. I bet if a child should interest and put forth the effort any teacher would bend over back words to help the child.
Homework should NOT be the answer but I do agree, parents input is very important.

Teachers are now held to a higher standard by NYS (which is about time)and test results are what is important. Teachers jobs are to TEACH in the Classroom - NOT rely on homework to determine if a child is learning or not.

I also agree that today's parents need to be parents - NOT best friends with their children. The time to be a child's best friend is when a child turns 21 and is responsible for themselves and you have taught them everything they needed to handle their own lives.
wow

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

thanks idiot wrote:
They should get 30% having to deal with all the scumbag kids in Utica, who came from scumbag family's.
Perhaps you wanted to say" families" , hope you aren't a teacher.
Btw my kids are no scumbags.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of53
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

217 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Esche's AquaVino Restaurant- Dine by RAW SEWAGE... 5 min Secret Feces Sauce 24
What does Frank Meola's mom say about adultery? 8 min Curious 1
Anthony Br indisi Jr. Drinking? 12 min Spartan 1
looking for jim sharkey 20 min They Told You 3
Anthony Brindisi Jr. Drinking? 23 min Like Grampa Lou 1
Another Upstate Catholic priest molesting a child 26 min ZERO 15
"Old Man Cretins" favorite childhood toy??? 44 min Cretin is OLD and POOR 0
Official: Goodbye Comets 2 hr AquaFeces on duh Canal 128
New Hartford High Rank dropped from 258 to 1023... 2 hr Raise Taxes 17