Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

the year 2014/2015 utica teachers to get 20 percent raise. The following year they will get a 10 percent raise
duh

Newton Center, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Stop getting the teacher haters riled up. Never ever gonna happen. They'd be lucky to get 1%.
fairfield

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

they get double raises now % and a step
fahgettaboutit

Hadley, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

fairfield wrote:
they get double raises now % and a step
. I teach in Utica, we do? You're dreamin!
stop trolling

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

They have no raises with this contract which runs until 2014, some do get step increases due to more education, but not all. There will be no new raises or funds for quite a while so stop spreading this crab. I have asked this before and no one would answer... What should be the salary for a teacher?
disgusted

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

stop trolling wrote:
They have no raises with this contract which runs until 2014, some do get step increases due to more education, but not all. There will be no new raises or funds for quite a while so stop spreading this crab. I have asked this before and no one would answer... What should be the salary for a teacher?
Como's new education standards are long overdue. Now, Teachers will have to do what employees working for Corporate America have had to do - PROVE they worth their salaries!!!!!!

People that pay School Taxes that are constantly rising to pay for all the "perks" Teachers receive, are getting fed up with paying the high cost of School Tax and getting nothing in return.

Where else can an employee earn such high salaries for only working 180 days a week!!!!! What are you guys going to "demand" when our Governor makes the School term LONGER!!!!!!
Knowing

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

New York State teachers prove they are worth their salaries everyday just by showing up to try to educate the offspring of miss informed people like disgusted. New York State teachers are subject to certification rules that teachers in other states are not. They must pass tests called the LAST, the ATSW, and a content area exam and get their masters degree plus gather 75 hours of development. So please unless you have more than a high school diploma don't make statements that show your stupidity. Oh and I am not a teacher but I work in a school. I would never want my children to have to go so far into debt just to teach.
disgusted

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Knowing wrote:
New York State teachers prove they are worth their salaries everyday just by showing up to try to educate the offspring of miss informed people like disgusted. New York State teachers are subject to certification rules that teachers in other states are not. They must pass tests called the LAST, the ATSW, and a content area exam and get their masters degree plus gather 75 hours of development. So please unless you have more than a high school diploma don't make statements that show your stupidity. Oh and I am not a teacher but I work in a school. I would never want my children to have to go so far into debt just to teach.
My education far exceeds "just a High School Diploma"; my comments are based on results.

Anyone working in a professional position in Corporate America not only has to prove their worth -but- are constantly taking refresher courses or classes at college to keep up with the changing times.

Teachers need to do the same. As far as a Teacher getting their Masters Degrees, all they have to do is remain in College for another year to earn it.

IMO, it is about time our Governor has demanded a better way of teaching by Teachers that are knowledgeable, devoted, and have the skills to teach children lessons they will remember the rest of their lives.

How many Math teachers today teach their class how to add up columns of numbers by using their brains instead of a calculator? I can still do this which still amazes the younger generation.

Teachers are no longer going to be able to rest on their "tenure" status - now they are going to be tested to prove they still have the knowledge and skills to do a better job of teaching our children. It's about time..........
thanks idiot

Camillus, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

They should get 30% having to deal with all the scumbag kids in Utica, who came from scumbag family's.
Sam

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

teacher supporter wrote:
the year 2014/2015 utica teachers to get 20 percent raise. The following year they will get a 10 percent raise
Welfare scum get 5 percent end of this year and 3 percent 2014
teacher

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>My education far exceeds "just a High School Diploma"; my comments are based on results.

Anyone working in a professional position in Corporate America not only has to prove their worth -but- are constantly taking refresher courses or classes at college to keep up with the changing times.

Teachers need to do the same. As far as a Teacher getting their Masters Degrees, all they have to do is remain in College for another year to earn it.

IMO, it is about time our Governor has demanded a better way of teaching by Teachers that are knowledgeable, devoted, and have the skills to teach children lessons they will remember the rest of their lives.

How many Math teachers today teach their class how to add up columns of numbers by using their brains instead of a calculator? I can still do this which still amazes the younger generation.

Teachers are no longer going to be able to rest on their "tenure" status - now they are going to be tested to prove they still have the knowledge and skills to do a better job of teaching our children. It's about time..........
FYI...teachers are also required to take refresher courses, professional development as well as keep records for ALL. I currently have 78 credit hours (double the hours required for a Master's degree)...And I have my Master's degree, for a total of 114 graduate credits. Do you really think I deserve to be constantly bashed by people like you?

Also,'tenure' does not guarantee anyone a job. As it applies to educators, the term means 'due process'. Teachers can still be fired, but the district in which they work must follow certain protocols in order to do so, just like any other profession. I don't know what you do for a living, but I will take a gander that your boss can't just decide to fire you because he/she doesn't like the color of your socks.
hey disgusted

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

if cuomo extends the school year,the facts are that they will be negotiated through the union. If the school day is extended,teachers will be compensated for it. If the school year is extended,the teachers will be compensated for it. Also,the administartors cafeteria taff,maintainance staff,clerical staff,bus drivers,and everyone else involved. So listen you frucked up ugly hillbilly inbread idiot, That is never going to happen because the state cant afford it. If they can then im sure the teachers and everyone else involved will be all for the extra $$$$$. As for taxpayers,teachers are tax payers to you friggin a$$hole.Now go finish your 6th grade education and leave your sister alone.
Utica Teacher

Kirkville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Who Doesan't want money?
fahgettaboutit

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Hey, could you imagine Bruce Karam's power w/o tenure? The only people left would be Leo, Guido, Crachiolo, Palmisano, Eccleston, his family, Paul...fill in;
dont you

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

like all the jealous teacher bashers on this topic? there are also the idiots who mention names of people who work in the school district. if these people dont like it they should step up and try to change it. It they dont like the people personally they should go up t that person,or group of people and tell them who or what they dont like and why. Otherwise they should continue to put their tail between their legs bend over and try to grip it with their teeth.
one who knows

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Who is "jealous" of a Teacher?

We, the TAXPAPERS, that pay their salaries every year have every right to voice our dissatifaction with the entire School Board operations - which include Teachers' salaries!!!!

Teaching should be a chosen occupation for those that want to turn a child's life around and watch them bloom when they finally understand the subject the Teacher is teaching them. It has nothing to do with race - it all comes back to the way the "Teacher" uses her/his skills to teach.

I have a Grandaughter who always hated Social Studies, World History, and anything to learn about History ever since she was in 4th Grade. She could not see any reason to learn about "history" as she couldn't understand why she had to learn something that happened years and years ago. Every Summer she had to go to Summer School to re-take a Social Studies Class in order to pass this subject.

Last year, as a Junior at Proctor, she was very fortunate to have a young male Teacher, newly hired, as her Teacher for History. This young man made Class learning "fun" (in her words) and she ended up with an "A" and a new found love in History!!!!!

Unfortunately, due to seniority rules, he is no longer a Teacher at Proctor (does sub work occasionally). IMO - this is the kind of Teacher the School system should keep - not the ones that have lost all their joy in teaching.

Secondedly, Teachers are way over-paid for what they do. They only work 1/2 of a year (180 days), have Summers off, vacations when their Winter, Spring, etc. breaks occur. When was the last time you ever heard of a Teacher devoting her time AFTER school hours to work with a failing student? Most of them rush out the doors as soon as the Bell rings announcing school hours are over with!!!!!

Where is our tax money going when Proctor has such a high Drop Out Rate and the education children receive in Utica is sub-standard?

Taxpayers have every right to complain - NONE of us are "jealous" but we are disgusted with the way our money is being spent.
hellooo

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>My education far exceeds "just a High School Diploma"; my comments are based on results.
They do a great job. Its when the 75 percent of them get home and parents dont give a damn.
hellooo

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

teacher supporter wrote:
That is so funny I am LOL
spellcheck

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Knowing wrote:
"miss informed"
Is that the daughter of mr informed?

I think if you are going to call other people stupid you should have all of your ducks in a row first.
South Utica

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

How about this Karam.He loves laying off but he keeps taking his raises via his contract.He is no example for leadership.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police out of control again! (Jul '11) 4 min And Again! 16
How is Scott Alger connected to Kim Simon's mur... (Jan '14) 20 min OCDAOCID 43
Utica Comet's schedule just out ! 1 hr Comets Welfare Ho... 13
Finally A Utica Explaination 3 hr Douchiest ppl on ... 13
utica aud 4 hr Comets Welfare Lu... 107
Downtown Albany free Thurs night concert series (Jul '11) 4 hr Who is Joe B 10
Robert BobbyO Oliveria 4 hr Broadway Newport 11
Import 4K video to iMovie from GoPro HERO3+ (Oct '13) 6 hr Easy 5
Utica & Oneida County's Hotel Scam 7 hr Orbitz 23
Wegmans on the move 11 hr False 9