First Prev
of 2
Next Last
financial aid officer

New Hartford, NY

#21 Aug 31, 2013
nd mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sooo sad that my children got academic scholarships to private universities. Every cent spent at ND- and we did not get a free ride-was worth dollars in college money. Don't knock it unless you've tried it!
Stop Lying ND MOM
Every private university in this country, including Ivy league, bases financial aid on financial need. There are no more academic scholarships, tootsie. Every private institution ended that in 2007. Kids may pick up chump change from their high schools, but colleges dole out money based on tax returns. Anything your kiddies got from a college is based on need, not how many B's or A's they got in high school. Get informed and stop lying.
photo

Utica, NY

#22 Aug 31, 2013
financial aid officer wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop Lying ND MOM
Every private university in this country, including Ivy league, bases financial aid on financial need. There are no more academic scholarships, tootsie. Every private institution ended that in 2007. Kids may pick up chump change from their high schools, but colleges dole out money based on tax returns. Anything your kiddies got from a college is based on need, not how many B's or A's they got in high school. Get informed and stop lying.
YOU ARE WRONG! My son graduated from Proctor in 2011. He received a beautiful scholarship from his University BASED ON ACADEMICS....NOT NEED!!! You need to get informed. You obviously have no idea what you are speaking about. Good grades pay off! I KNOW!
sorrymum

New Hartford, NY

#23 Aug 31, 2013
photo wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE WRONG! My son graduated from Proctor in 2011. He received a beautiful scholarship from his University BASED ON ACADEMICS....NOT NEED!!! You need to get informed. You obviously have no idea what you are speaking about. Good grades pay off! I KNOW!
YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG. Every college and university gives out aid BASED ON NEED. Once you stop being hysterical over it, go look it up. Why do you think you are required to fill out FAFSA forms and have your tax documents forwarded??? Duh, ya think they do that for no reason???? No financial aid is academics based anymore. Too many rich families had smart kids and ended up paying nothing for their kid's education. Academics pays off by allowing the kid to be admitted. If you are rich, and have a smart kid, you still have to pay. NO one gets a free ride. You are way off and don't have even the most basic understanding of how any university administers financial aid. I don't really care what you believe, I am writing this for the few individuals out there who read this that actually have a brain.
nd mom

Utica, NY

#25 Sep 1, 2013
financial aid officer wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop Lying ND MOM
get your head out of the sand......academic scholarships are not only for real but the way to get into the colleges your child has worked hard to attend.....ND is all about getting your child into the college of their choice with the biggest scholarships available....AND DON'T CALL ME TOOTSIE
How

Elizabeth, NJ

#26 Sep 1, 2013
Academic scholarships are still available . For most they're for exceptional students of extremely limited financial resources , and are often presumed to be bias towards students of color and is mistaken for "quota"
. When a student applies to a competitive school say Ivy League , Berkeley , Cal Poly-tech , Stanford etc. the acedemic requirements are very high. When a student meets or exceeds the requirement and interviews and essays well through the admission process and doesn't have the financial ability to attend, scholarships are available because the university wants that student in its body. So it's a bit of both. If you're an exceptional student, and the university wants to admit you , the admission office with the financial aid will find away for that student to attend that university for free. Again the common thread exceptional ie top of the class acedemic ally or at least the top one percent of the applicants to a given school
Southside Johnny

Raleigh, NC

#27 Sep 2, 2013
Academic scholarships are are there. My son went to MVcc free because he finished in the top 10% of his class in High School. He is now at StLawrence and is getting close to 25000 a year through academic scholarships had nothing to do with my income. Had to do with his brains
Truth

Utica, NY

#28 Sep 2, 2013
This is for those who say the days of pure academic scholarships are gone. Just one local example of pure academic scholarships:

In Oneida County if a student finishes high school in the top 10% of their class they are eligible for one year free tution. Until last year that was two years tutition. It's based completely on academics and not on financial need.

http://www.mvcc.edu/scholarships/general-scho...

"Description: These scholarships are awarded to students who graduate in the top 10 percent their high school class. This prestigious award provides one year of full tuition to MVCC. It may be renewed for a second year providing the student maintains a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0.
Amount Awarded: Full tuition, Less Financial Aid (including up to $500 Pell)"

That last part just means that if the student is eligible for aid based on need that it will be deducted from the total. The result is the same. Full scholarship based on academics.
jero

New Hartford, NY

#29 Sep 2, 2013
Truth wrote:
This is for those who say the days of pure academic scholarships are gone. Just one local example of pure academic scholarships:
In Oneida County if a student finishes high school in the top 10% of their class they are eligible for one year free tution. Until last year that was two years tutition. It's based completely on academics and not on financial need.
http://www.mvcc.edu/scholarships/general-scho...
"Description: These scholarships are awarded to students who graduate in the top 10 percent their high school class. This prestigious award provides one year of full tuition to MVCC. It may be renewed for a second year providing the student maintains a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0.
Amount Awarded: Full tuition, Less Financial Aid (including up to $500 Pell)"
That last part just means that if the student is eligible for aid based on need that it will be deducted from the total. The result is the same. Full scholarship based on academics.
You don't have to be in the top 10% to get into MVCC tuition free. It is free through pell grants and Tap. Once again, academic need.
Truth

Utica, NY

#30 Sep 3, 2013
jero wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to be in the top 10% to get into MVCC tuition free. It is free through pell grants and Tap. Once again, academic need.
Did you even bother to read?

This is not based on need. The Presidential Scholarship is based solely on academics. It is not funded by Pell and Tap. Pell and Tap awards, which are based on need, are the first funding source for the tuition. Then the balance is the scholarship. If there are no PELL and Tap awards the entire amount is paid through the Presidential Scholarship.

You are wrong but hey, don't let facts get in the way of your rant.
educated in NH

Utica, NY

#31 Sep 3, 2013
Fact
There are private schools that offer aid based solely on academic performance; and yes, St. Lawrence is one of them.
Fact
Attending ND is no guarantee that a student will receive those awards. In fact, SLU (and others) use a formula that weighs a students' grades against the rigor of the school's academic program.
Fact
There are several local school districts whose curricula is rated significantly higher than Notre Dame.
teacher

New Hartford, NY

#32 Sep 3, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even bother to read?
This is not based on need. The Presidential Scholarship is based solely on academics. It is not funded by Pell and Tap. Pell and Tap awards, which are based on need, are the first funding source for the tuition. Then the balance is the scholarship. If there are no PELL and Tap awards the entire amount is paid through the Presidential Scholarship.
You are wrong but hey, don't let facts get in the way of your rant.
what rant, clyde?--stop being such a bastard--your opinion is just that ---your opinion--you probably haven't set foot in academia in multiple decades, if ever--let people have their say. You are not the be all, end all, omniscient wizard that you think you are, old geezer. Most schools do base financial aid on need. Notice I said Most, not all.
Yes

Newark, NJ

#33 Sep 3, 2013
educated in NH wrote:
Fact
There are private schools that offer aid based solely on academic performance; and yes, St. Lawrence is one of them.
Fact
Attending ND is no guarantee that a student will receive those awards. In fact, SLU (and others) use a formula that weighs a students' grades against the rigor of the school's academic program.
Fact
There are several local school districts whose curricula is rated significantly higher than Notre Dame.
Correct .ND does have small class sizes and children that are behind the curve get more attention than in a bigger district. It works out.
What

Hudson, NY

#34 Sep 3, 2013
To all you judgmental people out there. There are scholarships out there for academic merit. I know. My daughter received the presidential scholarship based on academic merit from St John Fisher College. She went to ND. Yes there are scholarships for financial need, of course there are or no one would be able to go to college. I'm am thankful that I was able to send my children to ND as they received the best education in this area & it was proven by their SATS & scholarships.
Days

Newark, NJ

#35 Sep 3, 2013
If their scores were so high, why not attend a better college
Applesauce

United States

#36 Sep 3, 2013
Parents used to pay for this themselves. My "student" loans were "Mom & Dad" who saved for us to go to the best schools. i lucked out and got grants for being labeled TAG and graduating with the highest S.A.T.s my HS ever saw but it didn't come out of any school's or other people's pockets.

Any moron who spends two nickels to send their kids to school at a religious vanity school like ND or the schools they have in that region really is vain and deserves what they end up with. A football/soccer/baseball trophy and an judgmental idiot for a kid. I'm not seeing enough ubersuccessful alum from the schools in CNY to justify all the sanctimommy cackling.
Days

Newark, NJ

#37 Sep 3, 2013
I graduated from NH. Then onto Duke University, and my MBA from Penn. I went to Notre Dame my freshman and sophomore years. Parents divorced , and dad left us hanging so I went to NH. I was surprised at how far behind I was compared to the other students. Was always a good student and caught up quickly. I saw both sides. Notre Dame was a closer community of students and teachers were very dedicated , but they had no where near the facilities in the classroom and extracurricular aspects of new hartford or Whitesboro . I don't see a problem with religion in the class room. I wasn't catholic and nothing was rammed down my throat.

Just an opinion from a former student from both schools
nd mom

Utica, NY

#38 Sep 3, 2013
Southside Johnny wrote:
Academic scholarships are are there. My son went to MVcc free because he finished in the top 10% of his class in High School. He is now at StLawrence and is getting close to 25000 a year through academic scholarships had nothing to do with my income. Had to do with his brains
thank you! academics matter- if I feel my child gets a better education at a private school and someone else feels that a larger school is better-that's America...but don't judge me or my choice because I went the ND route. We have college scholarships lined up and in the end...that's what matters
confused

Utica, NY

#39 Sep 3, 2013
Days wrote:
I graduated from NH. Then onto Duke University, and my MBA from Penn. I went to Notre Dame my freshman and sophomore years. Parents divorced , and dad left us hanging so I went to NH. I was surprised at how far behind I was compared the other students. Was always a good student and caught up quickly. I saw both sides. Notre Dame was a closer community of students and teachers were very dedicated , but they had no where near the facilities in the classroom and extracurricular aspects of new hartford or Whitesboro . I don't see a problem with religion in the class room. I wasn't catholic and nothing was rammed down my throat.
Just an opinion from a former student from both schools
sounds like you went to many ,many ,many schools and still many, many more.....are you still in school????
Days

Baltimore, MD

#40 Sep 3, 2013
No. I am analyst for Blackstone visiting my family here in New Hartford.
Truth

Utica, NY

#41 Sep 4, 2013
teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
what rant, clyde?--stop being such a bastard--your opinion is just that ---your opinion--you probably haven't set foot in academia in multiple decades, if ever--let people have their say. You are not the be all, end all, omniscient wizard that you think you are, old geezer. Most schools do base financial aid on need. Notice I said Most, not all.
The poster called financial aid officer said this:
"Every private university in this country, including Ivy league, bases financial aid on financial need. There are no more academic scholarships, tootsie."

My opinion is different than that poster who said that there are NO(as in none) scholarships based solely on academic performance in that my opinion is based on fact and not just what I think I know to be true. I wrote what I did because even after being shown to be wrong the poster who made the statement about NO scholarships (as in not now, not ever) based on just academic achievement still persisted in believing, and trying to get others to believe his/her mistaken opinion. There are those scholarships and I proved that with a link to a local example.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but remember that an opinion that is not backed up with facts is just hot air.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WORK DONE time FOR NEGROES TO HEAD BACK MACHINE... 15 min goal 4
BYE bye HOME BOYS WE NOW HAVE MACHINES TO DO T... 15 min goal 4
notre dame hs 15 min moses 1
HUMANS sick OF WORKING TO FEED NEGROES SO THEY ... 16 min goal 2
WHY are COPS NOTHING BUT CRIMINALS THAT DRAIN A... 20 min Utica PD 9
utica aud 22 min goal 139
Utica Comet's schedule just out ! 25 min goal 76
utica national (Jun '13) 2 hr Finished 524
Dierks Bentley at the Aud 4 hr Pretty Much 45
Where are all the single middle-aged men? (May '12) 5 hr boys r back in town 82