Loud Firehorn Sirens everywhere oudat...

Loud Firehorn Sirens everywhere oudated and uneeded

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
curious

United States

#1 Sep 20, 2012
Hello all-

In NY state we have volunteer fire companies, and most all are equipped with state-of-the-art pagers which let them know when and where to report to. Unfortunately, here in our fire district, they also retain the antiquated gas horn alarms on top of fire houses which bleat out a code telling where the fire is. These sirens are extremely loud and very close to residential structures, some as close as 50 feet. They go off all day and night. The fire district says they are used as a backup, but mostly it seems to just be to maintain some sort of macho tradition of waking up the entire community whenever they have to report a fire. Has anyone had any success in persuading a fire district to eliminate such devices, or has anyone successfully sued a fire district for health reasons?

KY WELLER
Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Sep 20, 2012
If it alerts one firefighter whose pager didn't go off,it is worth it. Find a good reason to bitch,you homo...
curious

United States

#3 Sep 20, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
If it alerts one firefighter whose pager didn't go off,it is worth it. Find a good reason to bitch,you homo...
Ummm, homo, that's not a valid argument anymore since insurance companies stated it was a liability issue depending on something like that. Sirens are not phones and pagers and are not designed to replace them.
Also, professionals know to keep their tools in proper order. Sorry.
curious

United States

#4 Sep 20, 2012
And what's it worth? Everyone puts up with years of loud sirens supposedly because one day someone MAY need it? Are you seriously trying to use an excuse that thin in 2012?
Eric

Miami, FL

#5 Sep 20, 2012
That is because that area is 100 years behind the times. FDs all over the northeast have been getting rid of the stupid things but anyone there in super star cop land that says anything is attacked as a cop hater or jealous because they supposedly wanted to be a fireman and never tried etc etc etc etc. It is depressing that area is so behind the times and burdened by buffalo butt big mouths.

KY WELLER
Level 9

Location hidden

#6 Sep 20, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm, homo, that's not a valid argument anymore since insurance companies stated it was a liability issue depending on something like that. Sirens are not phones and pagers and are not designed to replace them.
Also, professionals know to keep their tools in proper order. Sorry.
Insurance companies are always full of shit. They have one interest... Themselves! Move,or disable the siren.
curious

United States

#7 Sep 20, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>Insurance companies are always full of shit. They have one interest... Themselves! Move,or disable the siren.
Alright let them show up in your backyard and put a siren on a pole and tell us how you like it.
just me

Utica, NY

#8 Sep 20, 2012
An alarm such as being described here can also be used by village or town officials to announce disasters. I believe that a code was developed for this purpose. During the Cold War it would be used to warn of an impending attack and announce an all-clear. It would warn of flooding, etc. You may want to check with such officials to see if their alarm system warning devices are still required. In times of civil troubles, and according to NYS General Municipal Law, the Mayor, or other official had the right and obligation to warn the citizens.

Level 2

Since: Sep 12

Syracuse, NY

#9 Sep 20, 2012
If they replaced these drunken volunteer idiots with actual PROFESSIONAL firefighters, we could sell those stupid sirens for scrap!
Gross

Miami, FL

#10 Sep 20, 2012
Yeah well now we have cheap radios and a lot of other things.
It is just not the sirens. Everything is loud there.

I am from a small community in western NY myself and within a 30 mile radius, there were approximately 100 sirens. Seriously.
They don't exist anymore, within the last ten years Erie County has taken the majority down stating new EPA laws and obsolescence I bet they still buy NEW ones in that area!. I do feel bad for the people that live very close to them, since I have been near quite a few that have gone off at one time or another and is was really dumb. These loud sirens are absolutely unnecessary. They sound ominous and they are pretty much a constant presence day in and day out in the small communities where I lived before the more quality of life oriented towns took them down, which makes me wonder if there can possibly be so many emergencies within such a small radius on any given day. Any sane person would say that it is impossible.

It is probably taboo to say anything against firefighters. It brings out the uppity, "righteous", misplaced anger among people - kinda like someone has just uttered a blasphemy. No, we can't have that...they are heroes...can't say anything against them...... But let us face it...There are way too many little fire stations in every little hamlet and neighborhood in New York suburbs too, and I can tell you that these guys are disorganized to the extent that 5 or 6 fire engines, police cars, fire department SUVs etc etc rush to the same place if a mouse burned its [email protected]

It is a terrible waste of taxpayer money, and yes, it is, to some extent, the "macho" type attitude that is telling the whole world that "we are firefighters, we can do whatever we want"

No different from the biker wannabes who modify their pipes in their Harleys and thunder across residential areas when everyone else is trying to sleep.

It is plain inconsiderate. It is clearly the "it is all about me" attitude that is sadly the way of life in this state.

I am moved out of that state the first opportunity I got. I had it with the place. Not only the noise. It is a multitude of things that disgust me.

KY WELLER
Level 9

Location hidden

#11 Sep 20, 2012
Gross wrote:
Yeah well now we have cheap radios and a lot of other things.
It is just not the sirens. Everything is loud there.
I am from a small community in western NY myself and within a 30 mile radius, there were approximately 100 sirens. Seriously.
They don't exist anymore, within the last ten years Erie County has taken the majority down stating new EPA laws and obsolescence I bet they still buy NEW ones in that area!. I do feel bad for the people that live very close to them, since I have been near quite a few that have gone off at one time or another and is was really dumb. These loud sirens are absolutely unnecessary. They sound ominous and they are pretty much a constant presence day in and day out in the small communities where I lived before the more quality of life oriented towns took them down, which makes me wonder if there can possibly be so many emergencies within such a small radius on any given day. Any sane person would say that it is impossible.
It is probably taboo to say anything against firefighters. It brings out the uppity, "righteous", misplaced anger among people - kinda like someone has just uttered a blasphemy. No, we can't have that...they are heroes...can't say anything against them...... But let us face it...There are way too many little fire stations in every little hamlet and neighborhood in New York suburbs too, and I can tell you that these guys are disorganized to the extent that 5 or 6 fire engines, police cars, fire department SUVs etc etc rush to the same place if a mouse burned its [email protected]
It is a terrible waste of taxpayer money, and yes, it is, to some extent, the "macho" type attitude that is telling the whole world that "we are firefighters, we can do whatever we want"
No different from the biker wannabes who modify their pipes in their Harleys and thunder across residential areas when everyone else is trying to sleep.
It is plain inconsiderate. It is clearly the "it is all about me" attitude that is sadly the way of life in this state.
I am moved out of that state the first opportunity I got. I had it with the place. Not only the noise. It is a multitude of things that disgust me.
Stay gone,we don't need or want you.

KY WELLER
Level 9

Location hidden

#12 Sep 20, 2012
DOCTOR DOGBALLS wrote:
If they replaced these drunken volunteer idiots with actual PROFESSIONAL firefighters, we could sell those stupid sirens for scrap!
See what that would do to your tax bill.
Gross

Miami, FL

#13 Sep 20, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>Stay gone,we don't need or want you.
That attitude is why your area will always fail. The loud few want stupid toys so everyone elses property values and quality of life goes to szzt! No wonder your tax base is dwindling.
Newport resident

Baldwinsville, NY

#14 Sep 20, 2012
I for one would like to know if there is a fire in my vicinity. It could be right next door in the middle of the night and wouldn't know till the trucks show up. That could be too late to save my kids lives if it was already spreading for the 20 or so mins.it takes for the trucks to get here. I am happy for the siren to warn us to check ours and families houses. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT MOVE!! Better safe than sorry.

Level 2

Since: Sep 12

Syracuse, NY

#15 Sep 20, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>See what that would do to your tax bill.
I know it would lower my insurance because my house would actually be protected!

And with professionals driving the trucks, they probably wouldn't need to buy a new one every 2 years!
Fat Fire Bums

Whitesboro, NY

#17 Sep 20, 2012
DOCTOR DOGBALLS wrote:
You ever seen some of these losers? They cant even climb into an SUV so how the hell they gonna climb a ladder and save someone. The volunteer fire depts. have become a haven for single losers who heard that firemen are sexy since 9-11, lmao. You were a loser then and still are. Those fkn sirens were designed when the only thing they had was a few telephones and morse code you backwoods hicks. No wonder these idiots feel like they live in Beverly Hills when they live behind Aldis.
that was lame

Miami, FL

#19 Sep 20, 2012
Newport resident wrote:
I for one would like to know if there is a fire in my vicinity. It could be right next door in the middle of the night and wouldn't know till the trucks show up. That could be too late to save my kids lives if it was already spreading for the 20 or so mins.it takes for the trucks to get here. I am happy for the siren to warn us to check ours and families houses. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT MOVE!! Better safe than sorry.
That is frikkin stupid. OMG.
Fat Fire Bums

Whitesboro, NY

#20 Sep 20, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>See what that would do to your tax bill.
You wanna act high a mighty and want the best so you'd rather have your house become a pile of ashes than pay higher tax for professionals? All they wanna do is put the light on top of their pickem up truck and race down the street to see your wife outside with her big azz bloomers on, lmao. and then spray water on your flatsceen when the fire is 2 rooms over.
Fat Fire Bums

Whitesboro, NY

#21 Sep 20, 2012
Newport resident wrote:
They may still need them in your area because I can tell from your post that you must have some slow dumb azz kids if you need extra warning to get out of a burning house. What you wanna do? Fix them breakfast first? For most people just saying "FIRE!" is enough
dwight s

Binghamton, NY

#22 Sep 20, 2012
Fat Fire Bums wrote:
<quoted text>They may still need them in your area because I can tell from your post that you must have some slow dumb azz kids if you need extra warning to get out of a burning house. What you wanna do? Fix them breakfast first? For most people just saying "FIRE!" is enough
Why do you have to say such mean things about the kids you scumbag fuck? I mean really...And over what? some dumbass topix thread.

Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

They wouldnt let me reply to you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adirondack Middle School Principal Arrested 2 min ugh 1
Pissente's "Visoin 2020" re-gurge. 16 min Uh huh 3
Usmail Electric BUSTED in State CometsSCAM Audi... 41 min Absolutely Not True 13
TRUMP was right. 57 min Yes He Was 4
blacks 1 hr Pathetic 2
How many "Nano Factories" in Utica? (Mar '16) 1 hr The City of Riggies 470
Which is worse? Life in Utica OR Hot Fire Poker... 1 hr The City of Riggies 13
New Hartford Police-Inserra LAWSUIT & A.G. TIME! 2 hr Upstate Toilet Town 17
tenney 7 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 60
Kaitlyn Conley (Jun '16) 7 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 167
Sociopathic Narcisstic Abuse Rules 7 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 27

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages