AHL returning?.....read Esche quote

Utica34
Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Albany, NY

#143 Mar 1, 2013
Chris L wrote:
You guys are blowing smoke up the devils butt. No AHL franchise will relocate to Utica any time soon. Pa will see to it.
Why would we be blowing smoke up the devil's butt? They have nothing to do with it?

Will you be attending any games at the aud this fall?
No support

Manlius, NY

#144 Mar 2, 2013
I personally will not support the AHL team if it was supplied any government or local monies to move or relocate to Utica. We have too many other important issues to address in this area then to bring in another hockey team...
No support

Manlius, NY

#145 Mar 2, 2013
and when I said local monies in my above post, I meant local taxpayer monies...

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#146 Mar 2, 2013
No support wrote:
I personally will not support the AHL team if it was supplied any government or local monies to move or relocate to Utica. We have too many other important issues to address in this area then to bring in another hockey team...
Would you support any other local business if it received government support? If the answer is no then you may want to rethink where you do business...like out of the country.
Maybe

Manlius, NY

#147 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you support any other local business if it received government support? If the answer is no then you may want to rethink where you do business...like out of the country.
I might support a business if it brought a number of jobs to the area and was not mainly for entertainment purposes. An AHL team will bring few jobs and is supplementing a college hockey team that already gets decent support in this area...

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#148 Mar 2, 2013
Maybe wrote:
<quoted text>
I might support a business if it brought a number of jobs to the area and was not mainly for entertainment purposes. An AHL team will bring few jobs and is supplementing a college hockey team that already gets decent support in this area...
A professional hockey team has a bigger trickle down effect than most people give it credit for. And also why does everyone think it will supplant the UC team? The second point I just don't understand. The team plays what...15 or 16 home games a year? That's the equilvant of a travel youth hockey team.
Really

Herkimer, NY

#149 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
A professional hockey team has a bigger trickle down effect than most people give it credit for. And also why does everyone think it will supplant the UC team? The second point I just don't understand. The team plays what...15 or 16 home games a year? That's the equilvant of a travel youth hockey team.
You keep attempting to disparage the UC Hockey program when it has a proven track record over the past few years. The acceptance of the UC Hockey game experience has eclipsed anything pro hockey had previously accomplished since the Clinton Comets were hanging banners in their Arena.
You seem so smug that your "Utica in Flames" AHL team will be so successful. All of the families that have enjoyed the UC game experience may not be so quick to agree with your assessment.
Wonder

Manlius, NY

#150 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
If AHL teams have such a trickle down effect to the economy then I wonder why they change cities often... Also, I hope Utica was smart enough to put a penalty clause in the contract for if the AHL team decides to move and break the contract. If taxpayers are putting money into the arena or otherwise to bring an AHL team to the area then there should be a penalty in the contract to recoup some (or all) of those funds when (or if) the contract is broken...
Da Law

New York, NY

#151 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give us some examples of subsidized businesses in the area you think are shining success stories?
Da Law

New York, NY

#152 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
A professional hockey team has a bigger trickle down effect than most people give it credit for.
Then I'm sure there's an economic study showing just what a boon the proposed hockey team is going to be. Could you provide a link to it?

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#153 Mar 2, 2013
Wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
If AHL teams have such a trickle down effect to the economy then I wonder why they change cities often... Also, I hope Utica was smart enough to put a penalty clause in the contract for if the AHL team decides to move and break the contract. If taxpayers are putting money into the arena or otherwise to bring an AHL team to the area then there should be a penalty in the contract to recoup some (or all) of those funds when (or if) the contract is broken...
Actually the teams don't change often. The affiliates flip flop but the franchises stay quite a while.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#154 Mar 2, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep attempting to disparage the UC Hockey program when it has a proven track record over the past few years. The acceptance of the UC Hockey game experience has eclipsed anything pro hockey had previously accomplished since the Clinton Comets were hanging banners in their Arena.
You seem so smug that your "Utica in Flames" AHL team will be so successful. All of the families that have enjoyed the UC game experience may not be so quick to agree with your assessment.
I haven't once disparaged the UC program and I would like you to show me one example of where I did. You'll be searching a while.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#155 Mar 2, 2013
Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give us some examples of subsidized businesses in the area you think are shining success stories?
Since every business has some sort of government support I guess you could look at them all.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#156 Mar 2, 2013
Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I'm sure there's an economic study showing just what a boon the proposed hockey team is going to be. Could you provide a link to it?
Why should a hockey franchise provide this to the public? Do other business' have to provide this information?
Da Law

New York, NY

#157 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since every business has some sort of government support I guess you could look at them all.
So the Hotel Utica would be a good example of how we can expect the new AHL franchise to operate?
Da Law

New York, NY

#158 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should a hockey franchise provide this to the public? Do other business' have to provide this information?
You made a claim and I asked you to provide support for your assertion. Do you have any evidence of the economic benefits of the proposed franchise in Utica? Does any even exist?

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#159 Mar 2, 2013
Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Hotel Utica would be a good example of how we can expect the new AHL franchise to operate?
I can say the new team has very good financial resources and the leadership team is top notch and proven.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#160 Mar 2, 2013
Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
You made a claim and I asked you to provide support for your assertion. Do you have any evidence of the economic benefits of the proposed franchise in Utica? Does any even exist?
I'm sure the ownership has looked at this. If they didnt believe it wasnt profitable they wouldn't have moved forward.
Da Law

New York, NY

#161 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can say the new team has very good financial resources and the leadership team is top notch and proven.
Which obviously doesn't answer the question.

Can you see why people are increasingly suspicious about this backroom deal? Any time people ask for specifics it's all smoke and mirrors instead of direct answers. Why the secrecy the obfuscation?
Da Law

New York, NY

#162 Mar 2, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the ownership has looked at this. If they didnt believe it wasnt profitable they wouldn't have moved forward.
Which doesn't answer the question.

Look, I'll make this easy. To your knowledge is there any economic study demonstrating the viability of an AHL franchise in Utica?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many "Nano Factories" in Utica? (Mar '16) 1 min EBT CHILD KILLERS 505
New Hartford Police Chief Michael S. Inserra - ... 3 min Jim Martin Design... 44
Utica NY - One Giant WELFARE EGHETTO! 4 min Carlos H Muchacho 58
Kaitlyn Conley (Jun '16) 5 min EBT CHILD KILLERS 708
abusing KIDS AND SCRAPING CORNS ON TOE 8 min EBT CHILD KILLERS 31
hesprog STRANGLES GRANDSON MORE FRESH PRIDE 9 min EBT CHILD KILLERS 7
why DOES AFRICA STARVE THE CHILDREN 9 min EBT CHILD KILLERS 25
Work On Aud Improvements 51 min Welfare Cup Winners 396
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 56 min Thanks 97
New Hartford Schools investigated by State of NY 1 hr NO Batman Costume 73

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages