Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Chris L wrote:
You guys are blowing smoke up the devils butt. No AHL franchise will relocate to Utica any time soon. Pa will see to it.
Why would we be blowing smoke up the devil's butt? They have nothing to do with it?

Will you be attending any games at the aud this fall?
No support

Camillus, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

I personally will not support the AHL team if it was supplied any government or local monies to move or relocate to Utica. We have too many other important issues to address in this area then to bring in another hockey team...
No support

Camillus, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

and when I said local monies in my above post, I meant local taxpayer monies...

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

No support wrote:
I personally will not support the AHL team if it was supplied any government or local monies to move or relocate to Utica. We have too many other important issues to address in this area then to bring in another hockey team...
Would you support any other local business if it received government support? If the answer is no then you may want to rethink where you do business...like out of the country.
Maybe

Camillus, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you support any other local business if it received government support? If the answer is no then you may want to rethink where you do business...like out of the country.
I might support a business if it brought a number of jobs to the area and was not mainly for entertainment purposes. An AHL team will bring few jobs and is supplementing a college hockey team that already gets decent support in this area...

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Maybe wrote:
<quoted text>
I might support a business if it brought a number of jobs to the area and was not mainly for entertainment purposes. An AHL team will bring few jobs and is supplementing a college hockey team that already gets decent support in this area...
A professional hockey team has a bigger trickle down effect than most people give it credit for. And also why does everyone think it will supplant the UC team? The second point I just don't understand. The team plays what...15 or 16 home games a year? That's the equilvant of a travel youth hockey team.
Really

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
A professional hockey team has a bigger trickle down effect than most people give it credit for. And also why does everyone think it will supplant the UC team? The second point I just don't understand. The team plays what...15 or 16 home games a year? That's the equilvant of a travel youth hockey team.
You keep attempting to disparage the UC Hockey program when it has a proven track record over the past few years. The acceptance of the UC Hockey game experience has eclipsed anything pro hockey had previously accomplished since the Clinton Comets were hanging banners in their Arena.
You seem so smug that your "Utica in Flames" AHL team will be so successful. All of the families that have enjoyed the UC game experience may not be so quick to agree with your assessment.
Wonder

Camillus, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
If AHL teams have such a trickle down effect to the economy then I wonder why they change cities often... Also, I hope Utica was smart enough to put a penalty clause in the contract for if the AHL team decides to move and break the contract. If taxpayers are putting money into the arena or otherwise to bring an AHL team to the area then there should be a penalty in the contract to recoup some (or all) of those funds when (or if) the contract is broken...
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give us some examples of subsidized businesses in the area you think are shining success stories?
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
A professional hockey team has a bigger trickle down effect than most people give it credit for.
Then I'm sure there's an economic study showing just what a boon the proposed hockey team is going to be. Could you provide a link to it?

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
If AHL teams have such a trickle down effect to the economy then I wonder why they change cities often... Also, I hope Utica was smart enough to put a penalty clause in the contract for if the AHL team decides to move and break the contract. If taxpayers are putting money into the arena or otherwise to bring an AHL team to the area then there should be a penalty in the contract to recoup some (or all) of those funds when (or if) the contract is broken...
Actually the teams don't change often. The affiliates flip flop but the franchises stay quite a while.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep attempting to disparage the UC Hockey program when it has a proven track record over the past few years. The acceptance of the UC Hockey game experience has eclipsed anything pro hockey had previously accomplished since the Clinton Comets were hanging banners in their Arena.
You seem so smug that your "Utica in Flames" AHL team will be so successful. All of the families that have enjoyed the UC game experience may not be so quick to agree with your assessment.
I haven't once disparaged the UC program and I would like you to show me one example of where I did. You'll be searching a while.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give us some examples of subsidized businesses in the area you think are shining success stories?
Since every business has some sort of government support I guess you could look at them all.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I'm sure there's an economic study showing just what a boon the proposed hockey team is going to be. Could you provide a link to it?
Why should a hockey franchise provide this to the public? Do other business' have to provide this information?
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since every business has some sort of government support I guess you could look at them all.
So the Hotel Utica would be a good example of how we can expect the new AHL franchise to operate?
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should a hockey franchise provide this to the public? Do other business' have to provide this information?
You made a claim and I asked you to provide support for your assertion. Do you have any evidence of the economic benefits of the proposed franchise in Utica? Does any even exist?

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Hotel Utica would be a good example of how we can expect the new AHL franchise to operate?
I can say the new team has very good financial resources and the leadership team is top notch and proven.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
You made a claim and I asked you to provide support for your assertion. Do you have any evidence of the economic benefits of the proposed franchise in Utica? Does any even exist?
I'm sure the ownership has looked at this. If they didnt believe it wasnt profitable they wouldn't have moved forward.
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can say the new team has very good financial resources and the leadership team is top notch and proven.
Which obviously doesn't answer the question.

Can you see why people are increasingly suspicious about this backroom deal? Any time people ask for specifics it's all smoke and mirrors instead of direct answers. Why the secrecy the obfuscation?
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the ownership has looked at this. If they didnt believe it wasnt profitable they wouldn't have moved forward.
Which doesn't answer the question.

Look, I'll make this easy. To your knowledge is there any economic study demonstrating the viability of an AHL franchise in Utica?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kingston Albany THE WELFARE CRIME DUMPS OF NYS 8 min afromask 2
What is the longest hardest worst 3 years of a ... 9 min afromask 5
Burger King Oneida Square (Oct 07) (Oct '10) 12 min Frank McBrides Ghost 2
WHY do BLACKS WEAR PANTYHOSE ON THEIR HEAD 12 min afromask 7
Whitesboro sucks (Sep '10) 12 min ignore the ignorant 57
Saigon House Pho Ever Noodles Set to Open in Ne... 17 min NHartfordRes 3
utica aud 17 min ECHL 85
Police Officers 1 hr PHD 18
To The Resident Topix Racist 5 hr slash the obamatit 25
ND or Proctor Football: Who will have the bette... 8 hr Hmmmm 58