AHL returning?.....read Esche quote
ahl

Utica, NY

#123 Mar 1, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be proud that our governing body would make a deal with such unscrupulous ownership. It would so go along with the history in this area of bad deals made. Im surprised that EDGE wasn't involved, it was such a bad deal.

I bet they were.
New hottford

Cheshire, CT

#124 Mar 1, 2013
Esche is a local hero in my eyes and I will support this any way I can because I am smart enough to see that this is just the beginning of the resurgence of this area.hats off to you Robert Esche and all of the others involved. I stand and applaud your efforts!
STAY POSITIVE

Frankfort, NY

#125 Mar 1, 2013
Why does everyone get so negative when something is rumored to be happening in a positive way for the area. No wonder no one wants to come here and bring business or entertainment to this area. The minute someone tries to you have people immediately saying it is stupid or will never work. Why not just let them try and see what happens. I was a staunch supporter of the Utica Devils as well as other pro teams that have been here in the past. Although UC hockey is a nice story it does not compare to professional hockey at all. With Robert Esche being a local and knowing the history and still be willing to try this is a positive thing in my opinion. He could have been like these other negative people and just say well...it didn't work before so F it i am not going to bother...I say more power to him and give him some support.
ahl

Utica, NY

#126 Mar 1, 2013
New hottford wrote:
Esche is a local hero in my eyes and I will support this any way I can because I am smart enough to see that this is just the beginning of the resurgence of this area.hats off to you Robert Esche and all of the others involved. I stand and applaud your efforts!
Please send your $1,000,000 check to the city of Utica in support of the team. As a taxpayer I want to thank you for your monetary support.
ahl

Utica, NY

#127 Mar 1, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not but feel the way you want. Can't wait to see what some of the turds on this board post after the formal announcement is made.
See you at the aud this fall!
If the information that you are saying is true I cannot believe this team or management company would allow you to speak on this or any other forum like you have.

Utica34
Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Albany, NY

#128 Mar 1, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the ownership would explore every avenue possible if the goal was to garner as much public support as possible. If you were very familiar with this forum you would know that what a previous poster said is true. In many cases posters to this forum are days ahead of local media in reporting stories. Also if you listen and look closely I think you find that some in local media and politicians read Topix and react to some of what is said here. Like I said previously, any public funding of a project like this is going to be a very hard sell. If there is public support then there is more political cover for those making a deal. If there is public outrage or if it's sprung on the public at the same time budgets are being decided then the idea for public funding is a non-starter.
As far as pulling the blog entry(not article) within 24 hours, that was the seed that was planted that started this whole thing. Only the writer knows where he got his information and doesn't seem forthcoming in what I've seen in revealing where the information was from or why it was pulled. That's not the point though. The point is this. The seed was planted and all you need do is Google to see how wildly sucessful that effort was. Most every article, national and international, cites that original blog entry as the main source of their information. Most start like this "According to the Utica Observer Dispatch....." It's exactly how the pump and dumpers worked.
To me it sure seems like this is an orchestrated effort and I believe you are knee deep in it.
Wildly successful. Lol

See you this fall at some games!

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#129 Mar 1, 2013
ahl wrote:
<quoted text>
If the information that you are saying is true I cannot believe this team or management company would allow you to speak on this or any other forum like you have.
I personally am not under or governed by the ownership group...but I know someone who is and that's why I'm not disclosing their name at this time. Check back at the end of march though.
hockey

Utica, NY

#130 Mar 1, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally am not under or governed by the ownership group...but I know someone who is and that's why I'm not disclosing their name at this time. Check back at the end of march though.
Will you be able to afford the tickets on you unemployment?
Truth

Utica, NY

#131 Mar 1, 2013
STAY POSITIVE wrote:
Why does everyone get so negative when something is rumored to be happening in a positive way for the area. No wonder no one wants to come here and bring business or entertainment to this area. The minute someone tries to you have people immediately saying it is stupid or will never work. Why not just let them try and see what happens. I was a staunch supporter of the Utica Devils as well as other pro teams that have been here in the past. Although UC hockey is a nice story it does not compare to professional hockey at all. With Robert Esche being a local and knowing the history and still be willing to try this is a positive thing in my opinion. He could have been like these other negative people and just say well...it didn't work before so F it i am not going to bother...I say more power to him and give him some support.
I think you misunderstand.
Sekpticism does not equal negativism.
I only speak for myself and for me it's not negativity about the thought of an AHL team coming here. I just not for the idea of any taxpayer money being used to do it. I'm all for it if they pay for everything and then are self sustaining without the need for grants, tax incentives or any other form of taxpayer subsidy.

I wish Robert Esche and all of those invested in this idea the best. I just don't want to give them tax dollars. In my opinion this entire thread and several others seem like a setup designed to get people on board with the idea in order to pick their pockets. We'll see.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#132 Mar 1, 2013
hockey wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you be able to afford the tickets on you unemployment?
Sorry to inform you but I'm not unemployed.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#133 Mar 1, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you misunderstand.
Sekpticism does not equal negativism.
I only speak for myself and for me it's not negativity about the thought of an AHL team coming here. I just not for the idea of any taxpayer money being used to do it. I'm all for it if they pay for everything and then are self sustaining without the need for grants, tax incentives or any other form of taxpayer subsidy.
I wish Robert Esche and all of those invested in this idea the best. I just don't want to give them tax dollars. In my opinion this entire thread and several others seem like a setup designed to get people on board with the idea in order to pick their pockets. We'll see.
There isn't a new business venture in this country that does not get some form of government support. You could set up a lunch cart on a street corner and there's a program for you.
Really

Herkimer, NY

#134 Mar 1, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't a new business venture in this country that does not get some form of government support. You could set up a lunch cart on a street corner and there's a program for you.
There is no question that this community needs government support. The infrastructure is crumbling, the downtown parking situation is deplorable, the school system is hemorrhaging money, and the welfare community is gobbling up everything available for the rest of us.
What this community doesn't need is for its elected officials to be giving away the store by allowing government money for personal investment in a venture proven many times over to be unsustainable.
If this happens it will begin the demise of everyone who made it happen.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#135 Mar 1, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no question that this community needs government support. The infrastructure is crumbling, the downtown parking situation is deplorable, the school system is hemorrhaging money, and the welfare community is gobbling up everything available for the rest of us.
What this community doesn't need is for its elected officials to be giving away the store by allowing government money for personal investment in a venture proven many times over to be unsustainable.
If this happens it will begin the demise of everyone who made it happen.
Every business is a personal investment. Even if someone opens a new business in the most stable of economic areas there will be government support. And who's to say what they have or will receive? You're making quite the inferences.
Truth

Utica, NY

#136 Mar 1, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is absolutely untrue. We are accoustomed to to these handouts because we are from New York. There are plenty of business startups that do it every day with savings, personal loans and private venture capital. Even if it were true that there is a program for every business that doesn't make it right nor does it guarantee success. Our area is ripe with examples of businesses who were given tax dollars. As long as the incentiev was there, they were. When the well ran dry, bye-bye.

I'll go back to one of my favorite quotes that repeated previously:
"Yeah, it's nice but it's not a good idea to build a pool in the back yard when your roof is leaking"

I might agree with incentives if I thought a venture like this would benefit everyone but that's not the case any more than the Stanley Theater backstage expansion did. How many times do the taxpayers pay for these things and have them benefit only a relatively few people before they finally realize that these things don't work as promised. Lower taxes, curb regulation, make the Mohawk Valley more inviting to business. Then, people will demand entertainment like and AHL team and bigger, better shows at the Stanley. Until then though no taxpayer money in any form for this.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#137 Mar 1, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
, make the Mohawk Valley more inviting to business.
The ahl franchise is a business and yes no matter what business where you create it and no matter how big or small there are tax benefits and government support available.
BREAKING NEWS

Herkimer, NY

#138 Mar 1, 2013
Sequestration puts AHL deal on ice.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#139 Mar 1, 2013
BREAKING NEWS wrote:
Sequestration puts AHL deal on ice.
How can a deal that's done be put on ice? Lol
AHL GUY

Sherburne, NY

#140 Mar 1, 2013
thats right Mr. Paine!
Chris L

Albany, NY

#141 Mar 1, 2013
You guys are blowing smoke up the devils butt. No AHL franchise will relocate to Utica any time soon. Pa will see to it.
AHL GUY

Sherburne, NY

#142 Mar 1, 2013
Chris L wrote:
You guys are blowing smoke up the devils butt. No AHL franchise will relocate to Utica any time soon. Pa will see to it.
Ya ok! Just pay attention to the news near the end of this month Chrissy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Morning Radio 5 min wow 1
A&P Images 11 min Zora Zora Zora 36
Ok all you Corvette C6 guys... 15 min Zora Zora Zora 15
New Downtown Hospital 29 min opinion 5
Carbone 42 min ooooo 12
Guess who didnt graduate from ND 45 min Zora Zora Zora 57
Romanowski. Finally Caught 1 hr Blueblood 2
rob esche getting divorced 2 hr Welfare Wendy 39
Tony's Washington Mills 3 hr Officer hottie 9
Esche thread deleted...too hot to handle? 13 hr Fail again Tazz 78