Bruce Karam Contract Extended

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
school board

United States

#1 Aug 28, 2013
There ya go Utica. Karam's contract was approved through 2018.
Sam

Utica, NY

#2 Aug 28, 2013
school board wrote:
There ya go Utica. Karam's contract was approved through 2018.
His salary is $168,000 per year. Entitled to a 3-percent minimum raise each year, No wonder Utica city school taxes are so high.
oops

Broad Brook, CT

#3 Aug 28, 2013
yet the teachers keep getting laid off and most have clas sizes above 30. that is great for test scores. is anyone else surprised a ton of administrators are gettingn out asap. BruceandLiz are running this ship into the ground
KLB

Utica, NY

#4 Aug 29, 2013
i have known bruce for a long time, and i like him. but nobody in in utica ny is should be making this kind of money.
Wait

Worcester, MA

#5 Aug 29, 2013
$168k isn't a lot of money
Scary

Utica, NY

#6 Aug 29, 2013
Wait wrote:
$168k isn't a lot of money
In Utica it is.
I wonder what performance criteria he has to maintain to justify those numbers and that increase.

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Aug 29, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
His salary is $168,000 per year. Entitled to a 3-percent minimum raise each year, No wonder Utica city school taxes are so high.
Mr. Karam has not taken a raise since he began this job. I was told that he will refuse any raises until the district is back on firm financial footing. He has shown strong leadership skills and he has been very open win all dealings. He has pissed off a few people and he is not well liked by union leadership but to me that is a good thing.
ESPN

Utica, NY

#8 Aug 29, 2013
This could be worst than the A-Rod deal
Oh please

Utica, NY

#9 Aug 29, 2013
Why in the world would they extend his contract so soon? What improvements has he made so great, please tell
Wait

Worcester, MA

#10 Aug 29, 2013
Scary wrote:
<quoted text>
In Utica it is.
I wonder what performance criteria he has to maintain to justify those numbers and that increase.
No it's not. If you still have a mortgage a child or two in college. Saving for retirement etc. there isn't much left

Level 6

Location hidden

#11 Aug 29, 2013
If you compare Karam's salary with superintendents from other districts locally and from other comparable districts statewide, he is on the lower end of the scale. Utica is one of the larger districts in New York State. I think we are getting a great deal for our tax dollars. I'm sure we would have a very difficult time finding someone as qualified who would take the job for less money.
Scary

Utica, NY

#12 Aug 29, 2013
Wait wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not. If you still have a mortgage a child or two in college. Saving for retirement etc. there isn't much left
Come back to reality for just one second.
What percentage of Utica's residents are making $168K/year? Just for the hell of it, you can combine both parents. I will still bet it is well below 12%. In fact I think the median salary remains below $35K/year.
Scary

Utica, NY

#13 Aug 29, 2013
And one other thing, by the end of his contract he could be making very close to $200K.

Level 6

Location hidden

#14 Aug 29, 2013
I would agree if he actually was taking the raises he is entitled to, but he isn't.
Wait

Worcester, MA

#15 Aug 29, 2013
Maybe so. It's still not much money for any area. There are plenty of people that make that and more here

Level 6

Location hidden

#18 Aug 30, 2013
homey wrote:
So let me get this straight. He has a two year extension without making any improvements to speak of. Agreed to a pay freeze after giving himself a raise. Will retire at at least 200g's, will get 80% of that with lifetime pension. Hmmmm, not too shaby for a sneak, liar, 2 face piece of trash.
What pay raise did he take? He has refused all raises since becoming superintendent. Unless he starts taking raises, how will he retire at $200,000? You don't make sense !!!
oops

Utica, NY

#19 Aug 30, 2013
he and all other administrators got a raise with last contract and then took a freeze. fact. go back to board minutes. give teachers a raise. nothing in ladt 5 years and longer for those frozen on a step.

Level 6

Location hidden

#20 Aug 30, 2013
Bruce and the administrators union did not take their raises. The administrators union voted to freeze their wages, not take them. THEY DID NOT GET RAISES !!!
KLB

Utica, NY

#21 Aug 30, 2013
in these times where utica is so close to bankruptcy, and so many people are out of work or working min. wage jobs, no teacher should make over $50,000 a year and our superintendent should max. out at 100g. times should be tought for everybody, not just the poor or lower middle class.
oops

Milford, MA

#22 Aug 30, 2013
they froze them from the point of their last raise. they took a raise, then froze. teacher and admin both accepted freeze, but admins received their raise while teachers did not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
scummy picente 3 min We need change 5
David Inserra 3 min What 33
Big drug bust new hartford 25,000 cash money 5 min Useless law enfor... 19
obliston apts 41 min any one know 2
Jobs coming in Utica with potential impact on L... 41 min True 7
Nano trouble 49 min Tomato Pie 18
Utica Aud: AHL Welfare All-Star game 53 min Wondering 231
Utica teachers to Kids: Drop Dead 1 hr omg 23
Rat Picente endorses Cuomo in TV ads 14 hr Next Flight Out 51
utica national (Jun '13) 19 hr Brillant 646