Danny wrote:
Population in 1960, approximately 100,000
VERSUS
Population in 2010, maybe 55,000
Who has the information on how many of each in 1960 and 2010:
(1) Council members?
(2) Firemen
(3) Policeman
Projected population for Utica 2010, 44,835, Rome, 24,675, info from a census worker who is in charge of mailing out to residencys, she takes the number of mailings and there is a national ratio for people per residency, this is only a projection, it could be a little higher or a little lower but in 2000 she told me her accuracy falls withing 1.63 % of actual tabulations. If this holds true we could lose millions and maybe even a congress seat. The bottom line is nobody wants to live here anymore because of the taxes and corrupt politics.
Blue Knight

Lisbon, ME

#3 Mar 18, 2010
Police once had over 212 officers,
Reduced to 181,
Further reduced to 164

There was once more firemen than policemen
Fire Dept was almost cut in half from what they once were.

Utica, at it's peak, had over 100,000 people
Today, they'd be lucky to have about 60,000

Level 2

Since: Aug 08

East Syracuse, NY

#4 Mar 18, 2010
Blue Knight wrote:
Police once had over 212 officers,
Reduced to 181,
Further reduced to 164
There was once more firemen than policemen
Fire Dept was almost cut in half from what they once were.
Utica, at it's peak, had over 100,000 people
Today, they'd be lucky to have about 60,000
No offense, but you are dreaming with the number 60000, the city will be lucky to come in at 50000 this census, it is over for Utica to be and act like the city it once was. In a way it might be better with the lower population becasue it might make the politicians realize the money is gone so they might as well get out and bloodsuck something or someplace else.

Level 2

Since: Aug 08

East Syracuse, NY

#5 Mar 18, 2010
1960 98,112, 1970 86,456, 1980 72,325, 1990 61,239, 2000 57,489, 2010 44,835,these are figures that were tabulated inclose similiarity with the actual US census numbers for that year. Except for the 2010 numbers which are a projection. Very interesting subject for a change.
Sally

New York, NY

#6 Mar 18, 2010
Wow, thanks for the population statistics.
I think it needs to be looked at--
MORE staff for HALF the population?!
Change of Status

Lisbon, ME

#7 Mar 18, 2010
When do we change the charter and officially become the Village of Utica?
duh

Syracuse, NY

#8 Mar 19, 2010
1960 i believe was over 110,000....2010 is below 50,000 with an immigrant rate of close to 38%, you figure it out......our forces should be 50% less than 1960.
village

New York, NY

#9 Mar 19, 2010
Nothin wrong with being a village. The label of "city" dont mean much in that hole.
say buhbye

Lewiston, ME

#10 Mar 19, 2010
Utica should have a garage sale. Sell the south side to New Hartford, the west side to Yorkville, the north side to Marcy and Deerfield, the east side to frankfort, each for a buck. Utica can keep downtown and cornhill and really be the hole it's become.
duh

Syracuse, NY

#11 Mar 19, 2010
say buhbye wrote:
Utica should have a garage sale. Sell the south side to New Hartford, the west side to Yorkville, the north side to Marcy and Deerfield, the east side to frankfort, each for a buck. Utica can keep downtown and cornhill and really be the hole it's become.
Well Said to a tee
Yankee

United States

#12 Mar 19, 2010
KamakazeII wrote:
<quoted text>Projected population for Utica 2010, 44,835, Rome, 24,675, info from a census worker who is in charge of mailing out to residencys, she takes the number of mailings and there is a national ratio for people per residency, this is only a projection, it could be a little higher or a little lower but in 2000 she told me her accuracy falls withing 1.63 % of actual tabulations. If this holds true we could lose millions and maybe even a congress seat. The bottom line is nobody wants to live here anymore because of the taxes and corrupt politics.
If your friend's method of guessing the population is indeed accurate to within 1.63%, why are we wasting millions of dollars with the Census, the ads and letters encouraging participation in the Census, and all that? Less than two percent is pretty durn accuate! I doubt the actual Census results could top that. And, Big Nanny Guv'mint wouldn't have to bother people with nosy questions. Hmmm.....you don't suppose Big Nanny has other goals in mind, do you?
As for losing a Congressional seat, chalk that up to our doing our part to get rid of corrupt politicians. The tools we wind up sending to Congress, both state and federal, do nothing to represent us anyway. They'd rather play games and concentrate on gathering and keeping personal power.
FMR SDMG

Oneonta, NY

#14 Mar 19, 2010
The Census occurs as directed by the US Constitution Article 1, Section 2 and includes language of "Actual Enumeration." Using estimates for Congressional election purposes would be in direct violation of the Constitution. Not because of Big Nanny Guv'mint.

Now on the other hand I've never come across anything in the Constitution giving Congress the authority to change Congressional district boundries at will to encapsulate more friendly voting blocks to preserve their seats.
justautican

New Hartford, NY

#15 Mar 19, 2010
if i could live long enough, everyone would be gone and i could be the king of utica.
Yankee

United States

#17 Mar 20, 2010
FMR SDMG wrote:
The Census occurs as directed by the US Constitution Article 1, Section 2 and includes language of "Actual Enumeration." Using estimates for Congressional election purposes would be in direct violation of the Constitution. Not because of Big Nanny Guv'mint.
Now on the other hand I've never come across anything in the Constitution giving Congress the authority to change Congressional district boundries at will to encapsulate more friendly voting blocks to preserve their seats.
Oh, the actual "enumeration" isn't riling. What galls me is the nosey and inappropriate questions they've decided to include under the guise of 'asking us for our own good'. THAT'S the Nanny Guv'mint part of it. They want to count us, fine. Don't use counting us as an excuse to establish/expand personal info data bases.

Utica Lies and Riggies

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#18 Jun 15, 2014
Sally wrote:
Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Ilion

#19 Jun 15, 2014
Sally wrote:
It's just the new math, pay no attention to that. Everything will work out with the new budget

Utica Lies and Riggies

Clifton Park, NY

#20 Jun 15, 2014
Gaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just the new math, pay no attention to that. Everything will work out with the new budget
Did they invent the utica budgie?

Ilion

#21 Jun 15, 2014
Utica Lies and Riggies wrote:
<quoted text>Did they invent the utica budgie?
Yes along with common core and sweet corn. Now no one has any idea what is going on but there's a good feeling about the direction they're taking they know it will all come out in the end.

Utica Lies and Riggies

Clifton Park, NY

#22 Jun 15, 2014
Gaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes along with common core and sweet corn. Now no one has any idea what is going on but there's a good feeling about the direction they're taking they know it will all come out in the end.
It's utica cornie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
good motorcycle mechanic in the area 8 min Jfk 9
Korber Rd Holland Patent 9 min Eyeseeyou 1
Tony's Washington Mills 15 min joe 2
Legion Baseball 43 min chuck 4
Proctor graduation 1 hr huh 23
Cornhill deadbeat dads 1 hr Balls 8
NANO Exit in the horizon 1 hr Here is comes 10
Guess who didnt graduate from ND 3 hr Spare me 21
rob esche getting divorced 4 hr Dear God Get a lLife 26
Esche thread deleted...too hot to handle? 6 hr Be Proud 66