NH Library Magazine Subscriptions

NH Library Magazine Subscriptions

Posted in the Utica Forum

Frustrated Library Patron

Whitesboro, NY

#1 Jul 1, 2013
Visited the library yesterday (Sunday) and in the magazine rack are lots of empty spots with large notes plastered over them. The notes explain that "such and such magazine is no longer available due to budget cuts".

Although the notes may have been posted before the library Trustees voted to give retired director Hans Plembeck $16,000 in cash it does show that the library cannot afford it.

The first payment to Plembeck for this year will be over $3,000. That money was not budgeted and it makes me wonder what else will the library cut to support these cash payments. At about $20-$25 a pop, that $3,000 could have been used for 100-150 magazine subscriptions.

The other thing that really frost me about the notes is that while they try to elicit anger in the library patron they don't over any plan of action to do anything about it. A better note would have stated that "Sponsor this magazine see the front desk for details." This way library patrons could sponsor their favorite magazine at the library and have it available for them to read there. There could also be a note about the magazine that says: "sponsored by the generosity of John Smith, New Hartford".

I don't think it takes a special genius or insight to do this so why hasn't the library taken this approach with the magazine subscriptions?
Mens Health reader

Dover, DE

#2 Jul 1, 2013
I think your math is off but the point is well made. I would sponsor a magazine if offered the opportunity but the library doesn't seem interested.
Library patron

Herkimer, NY

#3 Jul 1, 2013
Mens Health reader wrote:
I think your math is off but the point is well made. I would sponsor a magazine if offered the opportunity but the library doesn't seem interested.
It just seems that the library now has become a vehicle for venting one side or the other, rather than a place to read, or borrow books.
We need some 'adults' to step forward and move out the 'children' on either side of these issues.
Tired of it

New York, NY

#4 Jul 1, 2013
Most magazines offer professional discounts and in some cases free subscriptions. Does the NH Library take advantage of these types of discounts? On their notes does the library offer the option for someone to sponsor a magazine? The library needs to figure out ways to generate monies and/or donations. Funding for libraries is decreasing or remaining flat in all localities across the nation and they can not expect the town of New Hartford to increase their funding. Good Luck!

http://www.ala.org/news/mediapresscenter/amer...
Anna Reckseik

Utica, NY

#5 Jul 1, 2013
Thank Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma. "You ain't seen nothin' yet."
brad barnett

Bedford, MA

#6 Jul 1, 2013
Thank Flemma and Waitr? I'm just glad that at least some people are trying to look out for the library and I wish more trustees thought like Flemma and Waitr. The sponsor a magazine idea seems like a no brainer why didn't any trustee think of it before?
SAME OLD GEEZERS

Potsdam, NY

#7 Jul 1, 2013
Anna Reckseik wrote:
Thank Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma. "You ain't seen nothin' yet."
yES ,PLEASE THANK ED AND ED.ROMANO AND HER MINIONS HAVE USED THE LIBRARY AS THEIR OWN PERSONAL PROPERTY. THESE TWO GUYS AT LEAST TRY TO RULE IN FAVOR OF THE TAXPAYERS.ROMANO AND THE OTHERS JUST WANT THEIR FRIENDS TO TO BE TAKEN CARE OF ON THE TAXPAYER DIME ...YES THANK YOU ED AND ED WE NEED TO REPLACE THE REST WITH GUYS LIKE YOU .
Rick Grisinger

United States

#8 Jul 1, 2013
Fascinating. Simply fascinating.
Mens Health reader

Dover, DE

#9 Jul 1, 2013
OK.... so is there a way I can sponsor a magazine at the library?
Tired of It

New York, NY

#10 Jul 1, 2013
Mens Health reader wrote:
OK.... so is there a way I can sponsor a magazine at the library?
At this point it appears there are multiple library factions who seem to enjoy going after each other; in the end no one benefits. The whole Library fiasco is a circus and hopefully the town does something soon to mitigate the situation. An earlier post identified libraries across the nation are having their operating budgets cut or at best these budgets are remining constant. The NH library better get used to the new normal and either become lean and/or identify other sources of funding. Moving forward the library needs to be more fiscally responsible and reduce costs. Otherwise, dire consequences could result if they cannot operate within their means...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Awwwww little snowflake 4 min The Blue Wave 3
Herb Philipson's being sold 6 min X X X 19
We all see Trump is finished. It's just a matte... 6 min trumpster2020 29
David Gordon county executive 13 min Brother chris 7
Sneaky brindisi 19 min U f ucking id iot 51
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 26 min Princess Hey 1,282
Only in Tuckerton NJ 35 min Wow 17
NH blocked Baskets post. 3 hr barbA 65
who know the dawn grillo story (Sep '08) 10 hr Tullio 135
Bodacious Ta-Ta's 12 hr LeBron 33