Gaetano building being demolished on a Saturday.

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 4

Since: Jun 11

Utica, NY

#1 Jun 10, 2012
Hum...in the still of the weekend, when Utica taxpayers are alseep, City Hall sneaks in and starts to demolish the building on Bleecker Street, on a Saturday no doubt. So, Tell us Mayor, is this considered time and a half? Double Time?
I am curious to find out if this demolistion went before a bidding process? The Answer? We are waiting?
We have no money in the General Fund but we can afford this? There are plenty of unsafe buildings to tear down in our neighborhood.
What a WASTE!
sam

Cortland, NY

#2 Jun 10, 2012
Some they tear down for no fees and some they tear down and rip off the owners, explain this one Mayor? I guess who greases your pockets the best.
Honest Lawyer

Utica, NY

#3 Jun 10, 2012
There is a full crew working there today as well.
Bill

Cortland, NY

#4 Jun 10, 2012
They just tried this stunt in an old mall in Chicago to hide the asbestos abatement from the state that's likely what they are doing here. Can anyone get in there and start shooting some pictures of all the vehicles and activity involved?
Clem

Ogdensburg, NY

#5 Jun 10, 2012
IM ON IT!
ok that was funny

Cortland, NY

#6 Jun 10, 2012
I have NO DOUBT that is what is going on this has happened before and ended up in utica lawsuits right here!
sam

Cortland, NY

#7 Jun 10, 2012
Weekends are not allowed to tear buildings down. You must have the state there 100% of the time for asbestos. The state is only there on weekdays. Criminals at work.
On the scene

Cortland, NY

#8 Jun 10, 2012
Ok we got some pictures too with IDs and plates of the vehicles and where they took some of this junk here. They even look like they are acting suspicious!
words getting out

Cortland, NY

#9 Jun 10, 2012
OD tipline has been notified too.
words getting out

Cortland, NY

#10 Jun 10, 2012
Most asbestos labs do not work on sundays and apparently it is illegal to do this work on weekends in NYS this looks like a circumvention. Someone had better figure out where they're hauling all that I hope. I don't trust the DPW or city people as far as you can throw half of one of them.
No Kidding

Utica, NY

#11 Jun 10, 2012
words getting out wrote:
Most asbestos labs do not work on sundays and apparently it is illegal to do this work on weekends in NYS this looks like a circumvention. Someone had better figure out where they're hauling all that I hope. I don't trust the DPW or city people as far as you can throw half of one of them.
Show me what law says you can't do this type of work on Sunday?
tax payer rip off

Utica, NY

#12 Jun 10, 2012
The city demo crew ripped this building down on a Saturday hoping no one would notice. I didn't see any air quality test machines on site or ant suited workers checking for asbestos. Why is it only the city can get away with this and us taxpayers get all the red tape when we try to do something like this. All us taxpayers do is pay pay pay. I had it with this city and the constant scamming.
Ray GAGdick

Cortland, NY

#14 Jun 10, 2012
tax payer rip off wrote:
The city demo crew ripped this building down on a Saturday hoping no one would notice. I didn't see any air quality test machines on site or ant suited workers checking for asbestos. Why is it only the city can get away with this and us taxpayers get all the red tape when we try to do something like this. All us taxpayers do is pay pay pay. I had it with this city and the constant scamming.
This is an old trick the state will be notified with the pictures. They get the funds for "asbestos abatement" and just ho dump it somewhere.
Clean Air Act

Cortland, NY

#15 Jun 10, 2012
http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safe...

While I'm not sure it's illegal you can be sure this is some act of deception here. Since when has the DPW ever worked on a Saturday or Sunday for something like this? Who was the certified abatement supervisor here? Something is obviously very clearly wrong with this if you ask me.
onewhoknows

Cortland, NY

#16 Jun 10, 2012
The only way it can cost less than 300k to remove this building is illegally. With asbestos, they must take everything to Ava landfill and be monitored by state inspectors. If dumped locally, it would be a lot cheaper yes but done illegally. This must be reported to the State. I should know.
cicero

Cortland, NY

#17 Jun 10, 2012
meola did a demo his building on albany street also at the same time on Sat? the brick building accross from the maugeris auto they prob dumped at the same place and said it was theirs back and forth nice little scam huh they have the state check the one without the asbestos and give the ok and then dump the asbestos one at the dump
Dpw

Hollywood, FL

#18 Jun 10, 2012
Hygia was there doing the air monitoring. Also the city can work whenever they want. Weekends are better as there is less traffic down there. All the debris goes to the Ava landfill as that is where all the Oneida county waste goes.
Larry D

Cortland, NY

#19 Jun 10, 2012
cicero wrote:
meola did a demo his building on albany street also at the same time on Sat? the brick building accross from the maugeris auto they prob dumped at the same place and said it was theirs back and forth nice little scam huh they have the state check the one without the asbestos and give the ok and then dump the asbestos one at the dump
You are an observant man!
cicero

Cortland, NY

#20 Jun 11, 2012
Larry D wrote:
<quoted text>You are an observant man!
just a coincidence? well maybe i did catch it through the cornor of my eye when driveing down bleecker street so yeah i guess i am..
Utican

New Hartford, NY

#21 Jun 11, 2012
I can't understand why the City would buy a building for $ 1.00. Then spend $300,0000. taking it down? Here's a thought, let the old owner take it down! Who the hell is giving the OK to do such dumb things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nicest train station in the world 3 min Moving On Up In U... 3
Sen. Schumer seeks drug designation for Oneida ... 4 min Moving On Up In U... 40
Police: Utica parolee poses as police officer, ... 5 min Reality For Utica 3
New Hartford's Quiet Teenage Heroin Problem 6 min Reality For Utica 10
New York!!!! Why did "Utica Nano" fail? 9 min Reality For Utica 4
Abel: Drunk DWI UPD cop promoted! 10 min Reality For Utica 2
Is the Yahnundasis a good place? (Feb '11) 11 min Reality For Utica 79
Old School Bar and Grill Set to Open in East Utica 18 min Reality For Utica 8
State of the County speech 40 min cccny 11
The Nun is leaving 3 hr Jeezus 9
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:23 pm PST

Bleacher Report 8:23PM
How Should Giants Fill Their Biggest Holes?
NFL 4:44 AM
Report: Johnson urging GM to bring Revis back to Jets
Bleacher Report 6:56 AM
Maxwell, McCourty Headline Jets' Free-Agent Big Board
Yahoo! Sports 1:14 PM
Weatherford, Rice to donate brains for medical research
Bleacher Report 1:21 PM
Jets, Raiders and Patriots Among Top Landing Spots for Free Agent Darrelle Revis
CBS Sports 5:54 PM
LeSean McCoy to the Bills
CBS Sports 5:56 PM
We grade the trade: LeSean McCoy to Bills, Kiko Alonso to Eagles
Bleacher Report 6:18 PM
Bills Commit Robbery with McCoy Deal
ESPN 6:19 PM
PFF: Eagles win McCoy-Alonso trade
Bleacher Report 7:10 PM
LeSean McCoy Reportedly Unhappy About Being Traded to Bills