Next Last
lmao

Utica, NY

#1 Jan 8, 2013
its about time . im sure things will get better for many people
Nope

Ithaca, NY

#4 Jan 8, 2013
I will have to lay off people if he does. A ten dollar min wage means almost 18 with taxes, comp and obama care, and I will cut hours. Can't afford it
lmao

Utica, NY

#5 Jan 8, 2013
its 80 bucks a day after taxes its 50 lol . id pay flunkies 50 for a days clean up work . its only right to get a fifty for the day atleast

Level 4

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#6 Jan 8, 2013
Why?! Not only does it hurt small businesses but it will raise prices even more. All it does is put more of a burden on the middle class.
Typical Democrat

Gouverneur, NY

#8 Jan 9, 2013
He and Shelly Silver should both take a few Economics Courses. Raising the minimum wage will 1)Drive more businesses out of NY 2)Raise the unemployment rate 2) Raise the cost of living in NYS. Minimum wage is an entry level wage, when good workers get experience and exhibit a good work ethic they can be promoted to a hirer wage. This whole "Raise the minimum wage" movement will just inflate EVERYTHING and in the long run, we'll be paying $15.00 for a loaf of bread and $70,000 for a basic new car.

Level 7

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#9 Jan 9, 2013
There are some policies that are pretty much no-brainers. We all agree that the Food and Drug Administration should keep dangerous drugs off the market. We all agree that the government should provide police and fire protection. And, we pretty much all agree that workers should be able to count on at least some minimal pay for a day's work.

The minimum wage is non-controversial. The vast majority of people across the political spectrum support the minimum wage. In fact, one of the big accomplishments of the Gingrich Congress in 1996 was a 22 percent increase in the minimum wage. The only real issue is how high it should be. There are good reasons for believing that the minimum wage should be considerably higher than it is today.

At the current rate of $7.25 an hour, a full-time year-round worker would have gross pay of less than $15,000 a year. This is less than half of what the average Fortune 500 CEO makes in a day. It would be hard enough for a single person to survive on this income, imagine trying to support a child or even two on this money. And, close to 40 percent of the workers who would be benefited by a minimum wage increase have kids.

Dean Baker
Bodhi is an IDIOT

Cicero, NY

#10 Jan 9, 2013
Best thing about Cuome is his words are meaningless. Cuomo runs his mouth and does nothing. Typical Democrat, big mouth, little stick.
Ben Gleck

United States

#11 Jan 9, 2013
We don,t want jobs we want bigger welfare checks.
Ben gleck

Utica, NY

#12 Jan 9, 2013
I don't want to work, I want welfare increased.
wow

Whitesboro, NY

#13 Jan 9, 2013
If that happens gonna have toay off most of my staff.Go on unemployment and welfare. Thanks New York.

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#14 Jan 9, 2013
Ben gleck wrote:
I don't want to work, I want welfare increased.
You should be happy about ten dollars an hour minimum wage, Penis Leech. It's ten dollars more an hour than you're making now. But Topix trolling will still pay zero. So it won't effect you at all.

KY WELLER
Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#16 Jan 9, 2013
JAC2000 wrote:
Why?! Not only does it hurt small businesses but it will raise prices even more. All it does is put more of a burden on the middle class.
People starve on those wages,but if it enriches the businesses I guess it's ok...
jewboy

Bedford, MA

#17 Jan 9, 2013
You rich pigs pay up a buck or two more,the poor slobs work for you for 850 an hour can't buy beans while you have boats,cars,two houses,spoiled kids ,fat even,money coming out of your arises and I'm supposed to feel for you when you cry boo too how you gonna pay. Ah shut up, you can't take it with you,don't you know when these poor slobs get this little more in pay they are just gonna give it back by buying your cheap dinners and products even more with this extra money.

Level 7

Location hidden

#18 Jan 10, 2013
If Minimum wage had tracked increases in the cost of living and inflation it would be closer to $15 per Hour.
melon twister

Utica, NY

#19 Jan 10, 2013
Bodhisatva wrote:
If Minimum wage had tracked increases in the cost of living and inflation it would be closer to $15 per Hour.
Yeah...that's good genius! From what starting wage rate? What's your inflation index factor? What is your duration of time? You have no clue as to what you are talking about. Pure Pablum!

You'll have hamburg flippers making $30 k p/year....and people like you will squawking that they should be making 50k per year.
help

Carthage, NY

#20 Jan 12, 2013
Ben Gleck wrote:
We don,t want jobs we want bigger welfare checks.
drug test the damn welfare people then you will see who really wants to work and who does not. so damn easy but. government wont do it. 90%. of welfare recip. are druggies. gosh why wont this law pass

Level 7

Location hidden

#21 Jan 14, 2013
$10.58
How much the federal minimum wage would be if it had kept up with inflation over the past 40 years. Instead, itís $7.25

$15,080
The annual income for a full-time employee working the entire year at the federal minimum wage.

The number of states where a minimum wage worker can afford a two-bedroom apartment working a 40-hour week.

The number of times Congress passed legislation to increase the minimum wage in the last 30 years.

The number of states (including the District of Columbia) which have raised their minimum wage above the federal level of $7.25

The number of states that annually increase their state minimum to keep up with the rising cost of living.

The percentage of Americans that support gradually raising the minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to at least $10.00 an hour, according to an October 2010 poll.

64 in 100 vs. 4 in 100
What are the chances an adult minimum wage worker is a woman vs. the chances a Fortune 500 CEO is a woman?

The percentage of Missouri voters that voted to increase and index the Misourri minimum wage in the 2006 ballot initiative.

$2.13
The federal minimum wage for tipped employees, such as waiters and waitresses, nail salon workers, or parking attendants.

Level 7

Location hidden

#22 Jan 14, 2013
help wrote:
<quoted text>
drug test the damn welfare people then you will see who really wants to work and who does not. so damn easy but. government wont do it. 90%. of welfare recip. are druggies. gosh why wont this law pass
Hey bright eyes, Fla Governor Scott tried that STUPID F**king Idea. He told the Citizens of the State it would be cost effective, anyone who tested positive would have to pay for the test themselves.......7% tested positive, the State had to foot the bill for the other 93%
Nice Try!

KY WELLER
Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#23 Jan 14, 2013
Bodhisatva wrote:
$10.58
How much the federal minimum wage would be if it had kept up with inflation over the past 40 years. Instead, itís $7.25
$15,080
The annual income for a full-time employee working the entire year at the federal minimum wage.
The number of states where a minimum wage worker can afford a two-bedroom apartment working a 40-hour week.
The number of times Congress passed legislation to increase the minimum wage in the last 30 years.
The number of states (including the District of Columbia) which have raised their minimum wage above the federal level of $7.25
The number of states that annually increase their state minimum to keep up with the rising cost of living.
The percentage of Americans that support gradually raising the minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to at least $10.00 an hour, according to an October 2010 poll.
64 in 100 vs. 4 in 100
What are the chances an adult minimum wage worker is a woman vs. the chances a Fortune 500 CEO is a woman?
The percentage of Missouri voters that voted to increase and index the Misourri minimum wage in the 2006 ballot initiative.
$2.13
The federal minimum wage for tipped employees, such as waiters and waitresses, nail salon workers, or parking attendants.
I don't agree with you very much,but our minimum wage is disgusting.
sem

Hartford, CT

#24 Jan 14, 2013
What's the difference if the wage goes up,the prices of everything will go up also, so what's the difference.If more slobs have a little more to spend then supply goes down and prices go up.Its like food stamps keep food prices up because more slobs buy produce with these stamps and stores charge more.That's why I shop where there are less usage of food St amps because shoppers there are less likely to waste their good money and food doesn't move off the shelves as fast and prices go down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blonde at masonic home 21 min hillarycum 3
trump is IN CONTROL HEAR 22 min Wise Man 7
Worlds First Penis and Nutsack Transplant 26 min Joe Load 1
Dem rig election against Bernie/ then sue Trump... 28 min Popcorn Ready 3
Sperm Bank To Open On Genesee St 30 min Joe Load 3
oscugnizzo (Feb '09) 36 min who 30
West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you remember (Dec '09) 44 min Lee 930
Alex Carbone dating Savannah Lei 1 hr Bibs 23
Claudia Tenney BLASTS scam Dem/RINO hospital plan! 2 hr Vote For Claudia 58
nole must go 4 hr Brian 29