#1 Feb 25, 2010
Johnny Wishbone

Oneida, NY

#2 Feb 26, 2010
AND?
Taxpayer

Canastota, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2010
What an F'n joke. I like how they try to get the public's sympathy vote. Bottom line the former chief ran both dept's carelessly and caused these problems. They should be writing a letter discrediting him and apolgizing for the financial mess they put this town in. I hope they lock the doors and give it ALL to the Sheriff's Dept. then loudmouth polack pietryka can work for the department he publicly bashed in the OD. How pathetic they have become.
Fritos

Syracuse, NY

#4 Feb 26, 2010
Gee, I wonder if Reynolds son-in-law will get a job with the county now?? HMMMMM lemme think about that one for a bit.
ok - covers code three

AOL

#5 Feb 26, 2010
The former Chief ran the Departments exceptionally. The Police Department and Dispatch Center did not cause the financial mess that the town is in. The Supervisor spent the rainy day money so he didn’t have to raise taxes every year. Ok maybe he should have done it different. From what I’ve heard you “taxpayers” would have bitched either way. Town of Marcy pays higher taxes than New Hartford and guess what they don’t even have a Police Department.
If the consolidation takes place the Oneida County 911 Center will have to hire staff and therefore County taxes will go up. All the consolidation is going to do is shift the tax burden from the Town of New Hartford to Oneida County. Oneida County residents are you hearing this?
Taxpayer just how much did your taxes go up $100 per year less? Read the papers, get online. Taxes are going up all over the place, Whitesboro and Utica used their rainy day money up too.
Pat T. should be going out and trying to fill up some of these empty buildings and get a business to relocate here instead of trying to fire everyone and turn everything over to the County. Maybe New Hartford does not need a Supervisor or Town Board; turn the whole thing over to the County.
sure

Rome, NY

#6 Feb 26, 2010
Its already been decided al candido will be running the show.
Retired

Manlius, NY

#7 Feb 26, 2010
How is this going to work anyway. There are foot pursuits, vehicle pursuits, shots fired every night in Utica during the summer. How is the county going to keep track of UPD Officers from Jud Road. It will never work and Utica Has top notch equipment at their 911 center anyways. Each department needs their own channels to talk on. I can see it now. UPD Car 55 go to a shots fired party down call. Next radio transmission....OCSO Car 468 go to Rt 12 in Barneveld for a horse in the roadway.
Taxpayer

Canastota, NY

#8 Feb 26, 2010
ok - covers code three wrote:
The former Chief ran the Departments exceptionally. The Police Department and Dispatch Center did not cause the financial mess that the town is in. The Supervisor spent the rainy day money so he didn’t have to raise taxes every year. Ok maybe he should have done it different. From what I’ve heard you “taxpayers” would have bitched either way. Town of Marcy pays higher taxes than New Hartford and guess what they don’t even have a Police Department.
If the consolidation takes place the Oneida County 911 Center will have to hire staff and therefore County taxes will go up. All the consolidation is going to do is shift the tax burden from the Town of New Hartford to Oneida County. Oneida County residents are you hearing this?
Taxpayer just how much did your taxes go up $100 per year less? Read the papers, get online. Taxes are going up all over the place, Whitesboro and Utica used their rainy day money up too.
Pat T. should be going out and trying to fill up some of these empty buildings and get a business to relocate here instead of trying to fire everyone and turn everything over to the County. Maybe New Hartford does not need a Supervisor or Town Board; turn the whole thing over to the County.
Exceptiuonally ?? Really you want to go there ?? How about OSHA Violations, out-dated vest, illegal contracts, failing to address a woman who claims a cop was stalking her, overtime and details where officers were earning over $30,000 above there salary. Should I go on ? Yeah he was right on top of things. He may not have been the whole reason the Town is in a financial mess, but he sure added to it. The dispatch center is a dead horse that needs to go. Don't they have secretary's to answer the phone too ? The problem WAS is philo answered to no one not Keiser, Humphreys or Reed. Now we get a Supervisor who wants some accountability and raymond can't leave fast enough.
Becky

East Syracuse, NY

#9 Feb 26, 2010
Retired wrote:
How is this going to work anyway. There are foot pursuits, vehicle pursuits, shots fired every night in Utica during the summer. How is the county going to keep track of UPD Officers from Jud Road. It will never work and Utica Has top notch equipment at their 911 center anyways. Each department needs their own channels to talk on. I can see it now. UPD Car 55 go to a shots fired party down call. Next radio transmission....OCSO Car 468 go to Rt 12 in Barneveld for a horse in the roadway.
Funny, Onondaga County dispatches town, village and county police, all suburban fire departments and city of syracuse police and fire
from one location and they don't seem to have a problem! Probably because it is done right out there. FYI, they have call takers who send the information to the appropriate dispatcher who handles that agency. So, city of syracuse has its own dedicated dispatcher(s)for police and another dispatcher might handle the Sheriff patrol. The call taker weeds out the cat in the tree calls from the shots fired calls. A dispatcher there does not answer the phone AND dispatch the appropriate agency.
Taxpayer

Canastota, NY

#10 Feb 26, 2010
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>Funny, Onondaga County dispatches town, village and county police, all suburban fire departments and city of syracuse police and fire
from one location and they don't seem to have a problem! Probably because it is done right out there. FYI, they have call takers who send the information to the appropriate dispatcher who handles that agency. So, city of syracuse has its own dedicated dispatcher(s)for police and another dispatcher might handle the Sheriff patrol. The call taker weeds out the cat in the tree calls from the shots fired calls. A dispatcher there does not answer the phone AND dispatch the appropriate agency.
Very good point. They will use different dispatchers and different radio channels to dispatch calls. UPD may be the hardest Dept. to consolidate due to there higher volume of calls for police service. Bottom line it doesn't matter where the call is taken or dispatched it will take the same amount of time to handle the call.
Big Mouth Brad

AOL

#11 Feb 27, 2010
Nice job professor Pietryka! A lot of us rely on the good men and women of the Sheriff's office. This was taken from today's issue of the Utica Observer Dispatch.

http://www.uticaod.com/viewpoints/x1582410305 ...

New Hartford doesn’t need sheriff’s office

I am writing this letter to my fellow New Hartford townsmen and women to warn them not to be fooled by the political rhetoric of Pat Tyksinski, who thinks he can save us money by merging services with the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office or any other law enforcement entity.

I have been in law enforcement for more than 17 years and have worked hand-in-hand with many outstanding deputies at the sheriff’s office. However, this agency has many problems that New Hartford doesn’t need.

I have witnessed firsthand how this dysfunctional organization can’t even honor simple contracts such as its obligations to the DARE program and its more recent failure to maintain staffing levels at the Oneida County Drug Enforcement Task Force. If they can’t provide staffing to comply with these simple agreements, how do you think they will handle the much more complex issues of sharing police services?

The sheriff’s office has had retention and morale problems for years, resulting again in two more veteran investigators leaving its ranks to work elsewhere. On average, they have five deputies per shift patrol, 1,257 square miles and service a population of over 235,000 residents. At those staffing levels, they would never be able to provide the police services our town residents pay for and deserve.

Personally, I would be happy to pay more than the 50 percent tax increase to maintain not only our police department but also every other service we enjoy.

Check out Professor Wind bag's version of war and peace! Maybe NH should let Big Mouth balance the books.
Stay retired

AOL

#12 Feb 27, 2010
Retired wrote:
yeah ok, you must have been at the table playing cards with Benny! You havent got a clue ..It would seem that in your mind UPD is the only angency in the County that does real police work..typical Utica attitude and thinking!
Big Mouth Brad

AOL

#13 Feb 27, 2010
ok - covers code three wrote:
Town Supervisor Patrick Tyksinski said the county deserves an apology.
“It's apparent that when jobs are on the line, self preservation kicks in,” he said of the ad.“The residents will look at this and take it for what it is.”
He said he believes that the level of service will be the same or better.
Meanwhile, Rome Public Safety Commissioner James Masucci issued a press release Friday praising the consolidation plan.
Rome has long been part of the county's dispatch center, and Masucci said the system has worked well for Rome residents.
“”In a time when we all must do more with less, the days of talking about mergers and shared services are over,” he said.“It's time to make these projects available and affordable.”
Taken from the 2/27/2010 Observer dispatch
stick60

Minoa, NY

#14 Feb 27, 2010
All the talk means nothing at this point. The only question is cost savings. Will there really be any or will new fees and taxes simply tansfer the same level of cost to the county level?
Taxpayer

Canastota, NY

#15 Feb 27, 2010
stick60 wrote:
All the talk means nothing at this point. The only question is cost savings. Will there really be any or will new fees and taxes simply tansfer the same level of cost to the county level?
Initially there will be expenses for equipment and operating cost. What you have to do is look down the road, it will be a savings in the long run. Of course people will get desperate trying to save their jobs saying "you won't get the same service". I take that as a slam to the Oneida County 911 center. They have been doing it for a long time and I think they have some very good dispatchers there. The New Hartford Dispatch Center and Police Dept. use Joe Corr's name everytime they want sympathy from the public but did they even take the time to acknowledge that 4 years ago today he lost his life ? Not one thing in the OD from either agency in his memory. Just shows that they only care about themselves. As I said before lock the doors and give it away.
Taxpayer

Canastota, NY

#16 Feb 27, 2010
Retired wrote:
Boy are you in the dark ages. When did you retire in the 70's ?
another taxpayer

Manlius, NY

#17 Feb 27, 2010
Big Mouth Brad wrote:
Nice job professor Pietryka! A lot of us rely on the good men and women of the Sheriff's office. This was taken from today's issue of the Utica Observer Dispatch.
http://www.uticaod.com/viewpoints/x1582410305 ...
New Hartford doesn’t need sheriff’s office
I am writing this letter to my fellow New Hartford townsmen and women to warn them not to be fooled by the political rhetoric of Pat Tyksinski, who thinks he can save us money by merging services with the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office or any other law enforcement entity.
I have been in law enforcement for more than 17 years and have worked hand-in-hand with many outstanding deputies at the sheriff’s office. However, this agency has many problems that New Hartford doesn’t need.
I have witnessed firsthand how this dysfunctional organization can’t even honor simple contracts such as its obligations to the DARE program and its more recent failure to maintain staffing levels at the Oneida County Drug Enforcement Task Force. If they can’t provide staffing to comply with these simple agreements, how do you think they will handle the much more complex issues of sharing police services?
The sheriff’s office has had retention and morale problems for years, resulting again in two more veteran investigators leaving its ranks to work elsewhere. On average, they have five deputies per shift patrol, 1,257 square miles and service a population of over 235,000 residents. At those staffing levels, they would never be able to provide the police services our town residents pay for and deserve.
Personally, I would be happy to pay more than the 50 percent tax increase to maintain not only our police department but also every other service we enjoy.
Check out Professor Wind bag's version of war and peace! Maybe NH should let Big Mouth balance the books.
I would NOT be happy to pay more than the 50% tax increase. Some services are not services that we enjoy. Some services are pushed down our throat!!! You speak of the turnover in the Sheriff's department - well yeah, when NH cops are paying more in salary than the OC Sheriffs, of course that is going to be the case. I drove by the NH police station the other day and found that there were 5 cars sitting outside that were not even in use...when I asked someone about this, I was told that each cop has his own car! Are you kidding me - What, they can't share when they are NOT on duty. What kind of public abuse of tax payers money is this!!! With the NYS police and the OC sheriffs, I believe that New Hartford can be covered very well and eliminate the need for NH cops. Yes, maybe the OC taxes will go up but I believe they will not be as high as what I am paying now!!! NH cops must go and 911 must be consolidated. Welcome to 2010 where it is happening all over.
T-NH taxpayer

New York, NY

#18 Feb 27, 2010
another taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I would NOT be happy to pay more than the 50% tax increase. Some services are not services that we enjoy. Some services are pushed down our throat!!! You speak of the turnover in the Sheriff's department - well yeah, when NH cops are paying more in salary than the OC Sheriffs, of course that is going to be the case. I drove by the NH police station the other day and found that there were 5 cars sitting outside that were not even in use...when I asked someone about this, I was told that each cop has his own car! Are you kidding me - What, they can't share when they are NOT on duty. What kind of public abuse of tax payers money is this!!! With the NYS police and the OC sheriffs, I believe that New Hartford can be covered very well and eliminate the need for NH cops. Yes, maybe the OC taxes will go up but I believe they will not be as high as what I am paying now!!! NH cops must go and 911 must be consolidated. Welcome to 2010 where it is happening all over.
This is not the south, not every police officer has there own vehicle. Every department shares cars with the officers and certain police cars are used for different projects. you got investigator cars, chief car, captains cars, etc...( your information was mislead)
Rome Police have civilians and officers still manning the phones and majority of calls to Rome PD are NOT handle by Oneida County 911 dispatchers. What most oneida county residents don't know is that Rome Fire/PD tried to pull away from the County 911 center but lack the funding to do so. Hence that's why they have their own people manning the phone and this has been on the down low because of Rome Public Safety Commissioner James Masucci, politician running for for Sheriff. So people truely understand, The costs are NOT going to be spread accross oneida county, Picente says UTica and NH ONLY! SO taxes are estimated to go up 11% in Utica with an additional sales tax and NH town tax went up and the County will add even a heavier county tax on UTica and NH. I can't afford living in NY when my taxes increase 10 - 46 % when my rasie is around 3 % a year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dave Smith Taber ln NH Family Pic's Coming Soon... 1 min Mel s 6
Kayliegh Hanna blames "THE BLAAACKS!!" for Downs! 2 min Skeptical 10
Lisa Beckwith (Oct '16) 29 min oh no 17
Work On Aud Improvements 47 min No Batman Suit Utica 449
why A MILLION BABIES ARE ABUSED IN AFRICA A YEAR 50 min No Batman Suit Utica 34
Joette Mancuso 50 min Saul 25
Samantha Colostomy Testa like SNOOKIE! Only fat... 50 min Only in Utica 3
Kelly Uvanni or the Summitt car girl? 1 hr Chris 13
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 6 hr One Down 103

Utica Jobs