Refugee Center To Bring 450 Congolese...
173 In Whitrsboro

Clifton Park, NY

#97 Jun 2, 2013
doh wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong on both points. First, when has anything ever been "cost prohibitive" for the government? Second, big cities have thousands times more refugees and immigrants than Utica ever will.
Other cities don't pump them in to keep up citizenship numbers and to feed off of their federal and state money. That's exactly what utica is doing. Do you think that if utica was actually growing they would be seeking out refugees on public assistance? Lol
Whitesboro Unemployment 7

Albany, NY

#98 Jun 4, 2013
So is there a ceremony when the new and highly anticipated utica residents arrive?

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#99 Jun 4, 2013
Whitesboro Unemployment 7 wrote:
So is there a ceremony when the new and highly anticipated utica residents arrive?
I don't think they do that -- refugees are usually in shock or recently traumatized when they get here. Forcing them to go through a ceremony would only make them more apprehensive.

However, a ceremony to celebrate when refugees eventually earn their citizenship can be quite uplifting and emotional for them.
Whitesboro Unemployment 7

Albany, NY

#100 Jun 4, 2013
frankcor wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think they do that -- refugees are usually in shock or recently traumatized when they get here. Forcing them to go through a ceremony would only make them more apprehensive.
However, a ceremony to celebrate when refugees eventually earn their citizenship can be quite uplifting and emotional for them.
Are the refugees in shock because they realize that utica is worse than the country they're coming from? Lol

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#101 Jun 4, 2013
It's all about perspective.
Whitesboro Unemployment 7

Albany, NY

#102 Jun 4, 2013
Imagine being recruited from some sh ithole half way around the world and promised the benefits of becoming a US citizen and then when they get to the US they realize they're going to utica! Lol. I wonder how many fight to get back on the plane! Lol
BFS

Syracuse, NY

#103 Jun 4, 2013
frankcor wrote:
<quoted text>Your premise is a false flag -- show me evidence that refugees depend on public assistance after they have stabilized their situation.
A declining population is an economic disaster for any region. Without the refugees and other immigrants, Oneida County's population would be in a death-spiral now.
If you want to keep "those people" out, you will be here all by yourself before long.
The population wouldn't be on a decline if these dirty ninjas would stay where the f*** they came from. You are a moron.

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#104 Jun 4, 2013
The population has been on decline long before Utica was designated a refugee destination. Calling me a moron not only makes you a troll, it makes you a lame one.
Utica

Utica, NY

#105 Jun 4, 2013
I hate driving around seeing so many black faces.
Oblivious

Carthage, NY

#106 Jun 4, 2013
Anybody that lives here and believes continuing to bring in refugees to Utica/Oneida County is a good thing should be sent swimming with cement shoes. Fudging the numbers to make it appear and operate as city when it clearly does not is catching up and only a matter of time before it implodes.

Our public safety is a mess, school system a disaster, and we no longer even keep tabs on the welfare problems and the fact that more than half the county receives it.

Continuing to bring in refugees is not beneficial at all here, hasn't been and won't ever be. No chance of adaptation or them even returning the investment in the state let alone country in the future. With all the other problems this area faces, we also leave ourselves completely exposed to any disease or virus they may bring as well.
This city and county is a mess and has been. The numbers just keep squeezing by. Keep these same degenerates in office and this is what happens. The influx of refugees should have stopped and been routed elsewhere a long time ago. We are now forced with providing for people that put nothing into this Country when we cannot take care of our own.
AnnaB

Carthage, NY

#107 Jun 4, 2013
give us your poor wrote:
Where do they get the money to cloth,feed,and shelter these immigrants? Is it the Federal govt.?
COUNTY and CITY taxes, my friend. That's YOU and ME. I could be more welcoming if they were coming to jobs, but there are NO jobs here, and no prospects. Most of the African people don't read or write in any language, and still carry on the traditions of child brides (no joke) and huge families. The Bosnians and Russians were well educated and from basically the same cultural backgrounds (indoor plumbing). The kids are confused and turn to gang membership for social guidance. This needs to be halted for a while; the county building looks like UN headquarters.
Whitesboro Unemployment 7

Albany, NY

#108 Jun 4, 2013
Keep those population numbers up. Keep that government money filtering in all while the average utica taxpayer is burdened heavier to pay for social services for these "new citizens".

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#109 Jun 5, 2013
Oblivious wrote:
Continuing to bring in refugees is not beneficial at all here, hasn't been and won't ever be. No chance of adaptation or them even returning the investment in the state let alone country in the future.
If you think economic conditions are bad now, you will discover it will get worse if our population continues its steep decline. So keep on hatin'.
Whitesboro Unemployment 7

Albany, NY

#110 Jun 5, 2013
I'm surprised the police and fire departments don't lobby for more refugees. More people equals more cops and firemen. Actually they probably lobby for this quite a bit the more I think about it.
Latest UPD Race Bait post

United States

#111 Jun 5, 2013
Utica wrote:
I hate driving around seeing so many black faces.
Well then stay in the utica police station posting on line about how the "blacks" are so much the reason you need 65% of the tax base [and counting!] to "solve" the boogeyman epidemic that so far as most people can tell is basically mostly your own ignorant fault.

It really is fun to keep snipping your strings from all over to keep your kind in the sweatbox sweatin! Enjoy!
Lynching the Chad

United States

#112 Jun 5, 2013
Whitesboro Unemployment 7 wrote:
I'm surprised the police and fire departments don't lobby for more refugees. More people equals more cops and firemen. Actually they probably lobby for this quite a bit the more I think about it.
More tax chads to systematically alienate and disenfranchise! More federal "GANG!!!" pension grants!

Someone wake Sinatra, he needs to change the NY song to oootica. If your kid can learn a marketable skill in utica he'll be a professor in Dimascus!
Sick to death

New Hartford, NY

#113 Jun 5, 2013
AnnaB wrote:
<quoted text>COUNTY and CITY taxes, my friend. That's YOU and ME. I could be more welcoming if they were coming to jobs, but there are NO jobs here, and no prospects. Most of the African people don't read or write in any language, and still carry on the traditions of child brides (no joke) and huge families. The Bosnians and Russians were well educated and from basically the same cultural backgrounds (indoor plumbing). The kids are confused and turn to gang membership for social guidance. This needs to be halted for a while; the county building looks like UN headquarters.
It was an easier transition for Bosnians and Russians because they did attend schools, etc. While their cultures are unique and interesting, the lifestyles were similar to the US when war broke out. Education, work ethics, ideas about family, etc were not a far leap. Unfortunately, people coming from places like Somalia have never attended schools or had jobs in the refugee camps they come from, the transition must be very difficult. We do not see them as part of our communities or working in the city. What can be done to help? I do believe that the Refugee Center is NOT helping enough. The schools and community services are being burdened by refugees from places like Somalia. People from Bosnia and Russia have really helped Utica grow in a positive way. I also see some of the refugees from Burma (the Karen) are becoming more a part of the community just like the Vietnamese have.

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#114 Jun 5, 2013
@Sick to death

I appreciate your thoughtful observation. While it may take time, I believe the most recent waves of refugees will also take their places as contributing members of the community.
Whitesboro Unemployment 7

Albany, NY

#115 Jun 5, 2013
frankcor wrote:
@Sick to death
I appreciate your thoughtful observation. While it may take time, I believe the most recent waves of refugees will also take their places as contributing members of the community.
Lol
Banana Farmer

Earlville, NY

#116 Jun 5, 2013
Woooo Hoooo!!! Sales will skyrocket!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Cupping" 17 min ok yokahama 4
Is John Constantine Still a ... 33 min Uncle Iron Fist 8
Tiger Woods arrested for DUI ! 58 min oh no 4
ghetto WORST ECONOMIC HOLE IN AMERICA 1 hr Not CretinDaveCli... 82
Utica Observer Dispatch 1 hr rustyshackleford 11
another 12yo GIRL SHOT IN HEAD BY NOT HUMAN IN FL 1 hr Not CretinDaveCli... 47
Beer tanks floating down the Erie Canal - big n... 1 hr Not CretinDaveCli... 33
What should go in old APAC building? 3 hr Indeed 30
Syracuse War Memorial Arena Improvements 4 hr AHLer 42
Work On Aud Improvements 4 hr An Even Better Bu... 487
OMG! Naked Lexie O'Conner, Jill Reale, and Hill... (Aug '12) 16 hr EBT CHILD CRUSH 28
Joette Mancuso 16 hr EBT CHILD CRUSH 68

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages