Proctor Park Unsolved Murder?

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wondering

United States

#1 Aug 9, 2009
anyone know anything about the girl that got murdered in proctor park a long time ago? i tried googling it and i couldnt find one valid link! help me outttt
interested reader

Manlius, NY

#3 Aug 9, 2009
I think her name was Joanne Pichone. Not sure of spelling.
sweating to the oldies

Fayetteville, NY

#4 Aug 9, 2009
clue

East Syracuse, NY

#5 Aug 9, 2009
Why do you want to know about it?
wondering

Fayetteville, NY

#6 Aug 10, 2009
i heard some stories about it, just wanted to research it alittle. its weird how they couldnt solve something like that.
Mantooth

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Aug 10, 2009
She wasn't found in Proctor Park or anywhere near it. She was found in the woods off South Park Drive.
Sad Case Indeed

New York, NY

#8 Aug 16, 2009
I dont know anything about the case and i was young when it happened but that was somebody she knew, was no drifter or anything like that. Just always felt that way about her case and her murder haunts me for some reason.
Gratch

United States

#9 May 16, 2010
1971 - Joann Pecheone, a Utica high school student, was found murdered in the woods where she walked home from school. Her father was a teacher. Before that, I had always felt so safe walking around New Hartford. It was believed that she was killed by the serial killer who killed campers in the Adirondaks and Syracuse University students, but I don't think they ever solved the case.
Long Time Utican

Manlius, NY

#10 May 16, 2010
Gratch wrote:
1971 - Joann Pecheone, a Utica high school student, was found murdered in the woods where she walked home from school. Her father was a teacher. Before that, I had always felt so safe walking around New Hartford. It was believed that she was killed by the serial killer who killed campers in the Adirondaks and Syracuse University students, but I don't think they ever solved the case.
If I remember oorrectly, Joann's Uncle was Head of the Dectives on the UPD when this happened, and he also had to identify her body which had been tied to a tree with numerous stab wounds. It was rumored that Bernie Hatch was the killer of Joann - but not enough proof existed to charge him. This case still remains a mystery as it was never solved.
The fram

United States

#11 Jan 8, 2011
Just finished a book about Robert Garrow.
He was living in Syracuse at the time of the Pechone murder.
He was a serial killer. His method of killing was to tie his victims to a tree and then stab them to death. He also had in his car when he was caught a map of New York State with red dots marking spots where he either raped or killed. Utica was one of them.
The name of the book is Terror in the Adirondacks by Lawrence Gooley
Sue

Clark Mills, NY

#12 Jan 8, 2011
Mantooth wrote:
She wasn't found in Proctor Park or anywhere near it. She was found in the woods off South Park Drive.
There was a girl found dead in Proctor park off Culver Ave. in the late 80's or early 90's. It's not the girl they are taking about.
Mantooth

United States

#13 Jan 8, 2011
I don't believe anyone was ever killed in Proctor Park
Hey Wait

Whitesboro, NY

#14 Jan 8, 2011
Didn't they find a black girl, severely beaten, hanging from a tree in the late 80's or early 90's?
Mantooth

United States

#15 Jan 8, 2011
Not that I recall - I lived near there. But I may be wrong.
Jimmy

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#16 Jan 8, 2011
Her name was Endra Bell, and she was well known by local authorities.
Fred

Clark Mills, NY

#17 Jan 8, 2011
momof3

Syracuse, NY

#18 Jan 8, 2011
They also believe that not only Robert Garrow was a possible suspect but that Bernard Hatch was also. He was an acquittance of Joanne's. If the read the book about Bernard Hatch it goes into more detail about Hatch being a suspect as well as why they think Garrow was also a good suspect. Hatch is still serving time for the death of a Utica woman whom he drug behind his vehicle up on potato hill rd. in Stueben.Hatch was a suspect in many murders which took place during the same time. I have studied Robert Garrow as I am a psychology student and he was my subject topic for a paper. He did not tie ALL of his victims to a tree and stab them. Although it is a possibility that Garrow did commit this murder, I personally believe that Hatch is a much better match to this murder. He was seen with her either the day before or the day of her murder.If ever you get a chance to read the book, it's called Murder on Potato Hill. It is not a well written book and it is a quick read, but it has the facts correct and is more of a quick history lesson on Bernard Hatch and who he knew, how he knew them, and which ones came up missing.
Phil

Redwood City, CA

#19 Jan 8, 2011
momof3 wrote:
They also believe that not only Robert Garrow was a possible suspect but that Bernard Hatch was also. He was an acquittance of Joanne's. If the read the book about Bernard Hatch it goes into more detail about Hatch being a suspect as well as why they think Garrow was also a good suspect. Hatch is still serving time for the death of a Utica woman whom he drug behind his vehicle up on potato hill rd. in Stueben.Hatch was a suspect in many murders which took place during the same time. I have studied Robert Garrow as I am a psychology student and he was my subject topic for a paper. He did not tie ALL of his victims to a tree and stab them. Although it is a possibility that Garrow did commit this murder, I personally believe that Hatch is a much better match to this murder. He was seen with her either the day before or the day of her murder.If ever you get a chance to read the book, it's called Murder on Potato Hill. It is not a well written book and it is a quick read, but it has the facts correct and is more of a quick history lesson on Bernard Hatch and who he knew, how he knew them, and which ones came up missing.
Hatch was seen with Joanne Pecheone on the day before or day of her murder? I don't recall hearing that fact before and don't remember it from the Hatch book (although I may very well have forgotten it). I have always leaned toward Garrow, but am interested in hearing your thinking on this. I have a lot of respect for Tom Blanchfield (notwithstanding the poor writing of the book) and know that he strongly believed that Hatch killed her.
momof3

Syracuse, NY

#20 Jan 8, 2011
I will retrieve my copy from a friend who borrowed it and I will let you know for sure. I do know that there was some type of relationship between the two. Either he was dating her or a friend of his.relative was dating her. She was seen in Hatch's vehicle and I know that is a fact in the book. as for Garrow and having the red marks on his map, he had many places on the map in red where there were no murders or missing people reported so that doesn't hold much weight with me regarding him being a suspect. I did read that they found a receipt in Garrow's car for gas near the Utica area but I'm not sure if it was the same day.near the same time of the murder and I cannot remember for the life of me where exactly it was that I read that. Garrow very much intrigued me at how witty he was especially after he escaped from prison and while doing my research I read so many books. articles. etc.. that I'm not sure where I got that from but if I find it I will let you know.
skip

Rutland, VT

#22 Feb 15, 2013
H
wondering wrote:
anyone know anything about the girl that got murdered in proctor

park a long time ago? i tried googling it and i couldnt find one valid link! help me outttt
the only murderer I herd of. Was a girl named Sharie cant remember her last name but she was killed at the proctor pondby her boyfriend

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ATTN: Kayliegh "TAZZ" Hanna aka "Topix Racist" 3 min Yes 10
Work On Aud Improvements 6 min Sun 433
Bite Bakery 9 min Betty boop 14
Kayliegh Hanna blames "THE BLAAACKS!!" for Downs! 23 min Aww Cupcake 8
No mo CDBG 23 min RobbingUsBlindAtC... 3
President Trump a Great Leader 27 min Sure Is 8
Not so Happy Sam 27 min Welfare Cup Shrine 2
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 34 min One Down 103
Joette Mancuso 1 hr fact 16
Kelly Uvanni or the Summitt car girl? 6 hr Mmm mmm good 9