Local

New York, NY

#516 Oct 9, 2012
Joe Bonamassa is a great musician that puts out great blues/rock music. You guys have a jealousy problem for bashing the guy. You should be proud and support him. How often does someone from this shit hole area ever make it? Not very often

Bonamassa Rocks!
Not jealous not impressed

Utica, NY

#517 Oct 9, 2012
Local wrote:
Joe Bonamassa is a great musician that puts out great blues/rock music. You guys have a jealousy problem for bashing the guy. You should be proud and support him. How often does someone from this shit hole area ever make it? Not very often
Bonamassa Rocks!
"Jealous" Get real and grow up are you in 3rd grade? Nobody is jealous of nowhere man. You really take yourself too seriously get fkn real. You DO sound like Ray Jadwick with all this fluffity and attacking people who obviously are a little more current and sophisticated than this guy.
Just Wrong

Baldwinsville, NY

#518 Oct 9, 2012
Not jealous not impressed wrote:
<quoted text>"Jealous" Get real and grow up are you in 3rd grade? Nobody is jealous of nowhere man. You really take yourself too seriously get fkn real. You DO sound like Ray Jadwick with all this fluffity and attacking people who obviously are a little more current and sophisticated than this guy.
As your taste in music matures you might find yourself enjoying some of the better jazz or blues out there. But, you have to have some intellect to begin with. If you are lacking in that respect you may never evolve into someone capable of widening his horizons. Too bad for you. But, I do understand that not everyone will evolve:)
Sorry

Utica, NY

#519 Oct 9, 2012
Just Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
As your taste in music matures you might find yourself enjoying some of the better jazz or blues out there. But, you have to have some intellect to begin with. If you are lacking in that respect you may never evolve into someone capable of widening his horizons. Too bad for you. But, I do understand that not everyone will evolve:)
"Matures"? Sorry I don't take "maturity" tips from idiots who call people names because they disagree Joe is some smash musician or eve that noteworthy. He's an entertainer get over it. Someone needs to work on their maturity alright!
Ronnie R

Baldwinsville, NY

#520 Oct 9, 2012
Sorry wrote:
<quoted text>"Matures"? Sorry I don't take "maturity" tips from idiots who call people names because they disagree Joe is some smash musician or eve that noteworthy. He's an entertainer get over it. Someone needs to work on their maturity alright!
There you go again......
The smoker

Syracuse, NY

#521 Oct 9, 2012
Local wrote:
Bonamassa Rocks!
you are jealous you are not rich beyotch. Joe smokes you in every way too. Stop ni the guitar shop and buy a gibson if you are out.
You dont know good music

Rochester, NY

#522 Oct 9, 2012
I'll bet if Brian Setzer, Billy Sheehan, Lou Gramm, Steve Gadd or GooGoo Dolls were from Utica, you all would find a way to jealously piss on them too.
Jerry

Oneida, NY

#523 Oct 9, 2012
You dont know good music wrote:
I'll bet if Brian Setzer, Billy Sheehan, Lou Gramm, Steve Gadd or GooGoo Dolls were from Utica, you all would find a way to jealously piss on them too.
No, if any of them were from here, we would be proud of them. Those are all recognizable names with memorable hits. People know who they are. Even if someone didn't know who any of them are, they would recognize their music. All of them have been on the radio. All of them have been in well known bands. They have all been in bands that achieved considerable popularity. You can't say any of that about Joe Whatshisname.
Get a life twanger man

Utica, NY

#524 Oct 9, 2012
The smoker wrote:
<quoted text>you are jealous you are not rich beyotch. Joe smokes you in every way too. Stop ni the guitar shop and buy a gibson if you are out.
Get off joes dick loser if he was anything but 30 years too late maybe someone would know him outside your enormous head. You're just anasshole which is epidemic among this fools fans. Give us a break nobody man.
FAME

Carol Stream, IL

#525 Nov 5, 2012
I saw Joe during the era when his marketing team was ripping off the Harley-Davidson logo. That's a while back. He was playing a blues festival in a small town in Wisconsin. Not only was his marketing team ripping off Harley motorcycle logo and slapping Joe's name on them (I knew Joe was one injuction away from having to drop that marketing program), Joe was also ripping off a bunch of well worn licks while playing guitar.

There was no adventure, originality or chances in his playing that night. Just the safety blanket of the masters he studied; played like stale bread. Soul gone.

It was rather disappointing in that he sounded as if he was playing an open jam. A few stock bluesy tunes, average singing. He'd sing some lines, then, he would hit the Boss DD-3 delay pedal and go into a soul-less wanky lead that had no feeling or originality. Then, he broke into a routine of rock n roll covers extending himself all the way into Yes' progressive rock territory.

Really? How can this pompous kid come to this blues fest and mash a bunch of Zeppelin riffs, Yes and Hendrix in some b.s. medley and expect to get away with this. I left his set well before the first half and listened to the rest at the campground. I left that show wondering what this kid was trying to accomplish other than attempting to realize fame. It was really weird. I don't think that's why someone should be playing music.

As far as technique...it was a mishmash of Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton and other guitar player's licks. I didn't hear anything original.

He certainly keeps busy these days. He is certainly not famous and most likely never will be for most people in a way like Eric Clapton is famous. The market is not like is used to be. The one thing his team is really good at is marketing and booking gigs. They have websites, youtube, t-shirts, twitter (oops when Joe told the Grammys to fu)k off). Yeah, he's a nice guy too. And, they press release like a dirty whore straight from The Great Rock N Roll Swindle.

That's sad. Because the true soulful talent isn't there when it comes down to it. It's insulting. The kid does have massive technique. But, it's not him...he's just re-treading the tire that's been driven. It's lame and lacks real passion. I think Joe even knows this. Or, his head has become big from his minor success and believes his musical fakery is actually something of substance.

And, for all you yokels that like this guy, I would cut heads with the Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton clone any day of the week. He don't scare me. Yes, I play guitar. I had mentors just like Joe. I work hard to come up with my own style and have my own voice. I just don't hear it in Joe's playing.

BTW, I've played to large venues and had the whole place dancing on many occasions. So, I can put a crowd in the palm of my hand. Fame is just not my thing. I do it for fun. Fame on any level gets critical analysis. To each there own. I don't like Joe's style. I can say that on this board on Topix. Fame. I think that's what it's all about for Joe. And, that's where his "music" loses it.

I just like good music and I don't think he is bringing any kind of blues (say like a real musician, SRV) or anything memorable. Actually,'slow gin' sucks. I've had a few 'blowheads' aka Blowmamassa fans tell me to listen to certain songs as if that would convert me. Naw. He's a blues rocker of uninspiring proportions.

Sorry Mr. Bonamassa. You put your son into the public and you must deal with the worst and best of critiques. No offense.

Fame David Bowie

Fame,(fame) makes a man take things over
Fame,(fame) lets him loose, hard to swallow
Fame,(fame) puts you there where things are hollow
Fame (fame)
Fame,(fame) what you like is in the limo
Fame,(fame) what you get is no tomorrow
Fame,(fame) what you need you have to borrow
Fame (fame)
Is it any wonder I reject you first?
Fame, fame, fame, fame
Is it any wonder you are too cool to fool
Fame (fame)
John

Rome, NY

#526 Nov 5, 2012
Many of us here in boring old backwoods Utica just can't understand what all the fuss about this guy is. Nobody except for a handful of people know who he is. He might be technically talented, but there just is no spark to light a fire. He just fizzles.
Joe B

Rochester, NY

#527 Nov 5, 2012
Sounds like more bitter "musicians" who never caught a break or got to play with their influences or idols on stage (like Joe has).
Joe could outplay you falling down drunk on an out of tune guitar with only 4 strings.

BTW- his Rochester show is almost sold out.
Milt

Utica, NY

#530 Nov 9, 2012
Joe B wrote:
Sounds like more bitter "musicians" who never caught a break or got to play with their influences or idols on stage (like Joe has).
Joe could outplay you falling down drunk on an out of tune guitar with only 4 strings.
I think Joe B voted for Obama.
joe nobody wanababy

Utica, NY

#531 Nov 9, 2012
Joe B wrote:
Puhleeze. Unless he plays Satriana and something that requires a pulse you're kidding. Crack smoking joe was so yesterday get real.
Mantooth

New York, NY

#532 Nov 9, 2012
joe nobody wanababy wrote:
<quoted text>Puhleeze. Unless he plays Satriana and something that requires a pulse you're kidding. Crack smoking joe was so yesterday get real.
Wow, what a pathetic hater THIS guy is.
John

Verona, NY

#533 Nov 9, 2012
Most of us agree that he really sucks.
Joe Nobody

Carol Stream, IL

#534 Nov 14, 2012
Joe B wrote:
Souled out indeed. Joe is good at out-marketing guitar players with soul. "Outplay"? Doubt it. Every note I've heard him play is a pretentious sterile note of nothing noteworthy. I could beat him with one soul-filled note.

Bring it on Joe, you slouch...soul-less guitar dude.

Lucky Joe gets to play with his idols and show them their licks. Big whoop...how impressive. Joe BoreMeMoreSir...will flounder and get bored with chasing fame and get a job washing dishes. Mark my words....
slo hand

Utica, NY

#535 Nov 14, 2012
There are one or two sad cases suffering from a lack of love in early childhood of an indifferent mother posting cries for attention here.
I truly hope those of us who direct retorts to your cries give you the comfort you so sadly crave.
SEEK HELP!!
Wacko

Red Hook, NY

#536 Nov 15, 2012
Why do people put down others when they are successful? Joe Bonamassa won blues guitarist of the year two years in a row. That's pretty damn good. So what that he's not in U2 or Led Zepplin, etc. Just because he doesn't have the success of those performers doesn't mean he's no good. In fact, he's probably more talented than 99% of the musicians out there. I think people in this area are so down that when someone has a little success, they don't know how to handle it.
Joe B

Rochester, NY

#537 Nov 15, 2012
John wrote:
Most of us agree that he really sucks.
Most of us agree that your mom sucks (and swallows) the best

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BOCES- uncertified teachers 14 min Mr Cotter 4
I cannot listen to Jason Powles any longer... (May '13) 19 min Dump Jason 189
how does a gay guy meet straight guys for fun? (Jun '13) 26 min bloboi 11
yanadasis closes club house 30 min Toothy 7
DON'T Send Children to Utica College 30 min Warden 104
Whitesboro High School (Jan '14) 34 min Wboro parent 49
More money for the Auditorium... 47 min Even More Alarmed 353
Teb's son arrested from NH. 1 hr Reality Check 22
Westmoreland Rd Elementary School Whitesboro - ... 1 hr Learn to spell 48
NH new AD, you blew it already. 2 hr NHAD please 7