Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
This still smells

Camillus, NY

#2 Jan 31, 2010
Ian Hob wrote:
I have a few questions about Mike Arcuri's motivations in the Desiree Case Murder trials.
How is it that Mike Arcuri persoanlly prosecuted and got MUDER charges to stick to Joseph A. Smith, but the real murderer got to ple out to a manslaughter conviction, and his accomplice pled to an assualt charge?
In other words: Why did Mike viciously prosecute Smith (even after he was made aware that he was the wrong guy) amid tough-sounding DA quotes, but when the truth came out about Smith's innocence Mike stettled for Manslaughter for Earl Wright?
The only difference I see here is that it was an election year when Arcuri made the biggest mistake of his government career and it wasn't an election year when the truth broke.
Arcuri built a career on garbage like this.
curiousities

Bridgeport, NY

#3 Jan 31, 2010
Who was the DA when Barnes was falsely convicted?
Mikey is gone

Jamestown, NY

#4 Jan 31, 2010
Wait till this years election Mikey Ghumba will be gone.!!
Fat so Labelly and his chubby Mayor friend wont be far behind!!
Clay

Ithaca, NY

#5 Jan 31, 2010
The fact that they prosecuted another guy (Smith) for her murder compromised the later case against Wright. So they offered him a plea.

From what I remember, once the evidence came to his attention, he brought it to the court's attention and Smith's lawyer, and the murder charges were dropped.

He personally handled the case because it was high profile. Most DAs will handle the big, high profile cases personally rather than asign them to their Deputies.
mayonaise face

Ithaca, NY

#6 Jan 31, 2010
Clay wrote:
The fact that they prosecuted another guy (Smith) for her murder compromised the later case against Wright. So they offered him a plea.
From what I remember, once the evidence came to his attention, he brought it to the court's attention and Smith's lawyer, and the murder charges were dropped.
He personally handled the case because it was high profile. Most DAs will handle the big, high profile cases personally rather than asign them to their Deputies.
for the record Arcuri was given the information regarding Wright by Smiths defence atty...which info was developed by two private investigators work for the atty. Arcuri had no options when he then alledly found out for the first time that Wrights name was in UPD records but not pursued. then he realized there was a problem with the sanctity of the records. that created a problem for a trial prosecution.
Truth vs Corruption

Syracuse, NY

#7 Feb 1, 2010
mayonaise face wrote:
<quoted text>
for the record Arcuri was given the information regarding Wright by Smiths defence atty...which info was developed by two private investigators work for the atty. Arcuri had no options when he then alledly found out for the first time that Wrights name was in UPD records but not pursued. then he realized there was a problem with the sanctity of the records. that created a problem for a trial prosecution.
I think it was worse than all of that - didn't he ignore the evidence, and proceed? Isn't that why Joseph Smith was able to sue him? Jennifer Asker, UPD at the time, lied on the stand about it. She was sued as well.
interesting

White Plains, NY

#8 Feb 1, 2010
How much did Joe Smith get for the DA's foul up? hope hes setting in a new hous on a beach somewhere with Oneida county tax dollars.
OCJustice

Camillus, NY

#9 Feb 1, 2010
curiousities wrote:
Who was the DA when Barnes was falsely convicted?
Barry Donalty. This is one more example of justice over ruled by an opportunity for political gain or to make a name for yourself in a high profile case. Guilt or innocense is of no concern in OC courts.
Truth vs Corruption

Syracuse, NY

#10 Feb 1, 2010
interesting wrote:
How much did Joe Smith get for the DA's foul up? hope hes setting in a new hous on a beach somewhere with Oneida county tax dollars.
Not sure what he settled for, but he sued for 6 million.

http://www.uticaod.com/news/x501225437/Timeli...

* Joseph Smith sues the Utica Police Department and Oneida County District Attorney’s Office for $6 million, charging that both agencies denied him access to records that might have cleared him in the February 2000 homicide of Desiree Case. Smith, a former Madison County correction officer who once was Case’s boyfriend, was found guilty in the stabbing death of Case. Months later, the verdict was set aside after information surfaced that led investigators to two other suspects: Earl Wright and Michael Nero. The summons also claims that Arcuri and Pylman acknowledged problems in their departments’ handling of Smith’s case through statements made to the press.
curiousities

United States

#11 Feb 1, 2010
OCJustice wrote:
<quoted text>
Barry Donalty. This is one more example of justice over ruled by an opportunity for political gain or to make a name for yourself in a high profile case. Guilt or innocense is of no concern in OC courts.
Great. And now he's a judge. Amazing how Oneida County rewards incompetence.

Since: Oct 10

Utica

#12 Oct 8, 2010
If you ppl think Smith is innocent yer crazy!!!! He paid them ppl to take the fall. What business did he have with a 16 yr old girl? NONE! Her blood is on his hands and he wiped it off with money!! He should be sitting right there with wright and Nero....not sitting pretty for statutory rape!
mayonaise face

Newcomb, NY

#13 Oct 9, 2010
Melissa_ILUVU2_Almond wrote:
If you ppl think Smith is innocent yer crazy!!!! He paid them ppl to take the fall. What business did he have with a 16 yr old girl? NONE! Her blood is on his hands and he wiped it off with money!! He should be sitting right there with wright and Nero....not sitting pretty for statutory rape!
Smith may have had an inappropriate relationship with her based on her age and his job.... but he didnt pay people to take the fall on her murder. It was as much a suprise to him as anybody that the pd had info on the other two jamokes and never shared it with him or his defence atty.
hence the lawsuit.
Ask WHY

Watertown, NY

#14 Oct 9, 2010
Truth vs Corruption wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure what he settled for, but he sued for 6 million.
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x501225437/Timeli...
* Joseph Smith sues the Utica Police Department and Oneida County District Attorney’s Office for $6 million, charging that both agencies denied him access to records that might have cleared him in the February 2000 homicide of Desiree Case. Smith, a former Madison County correction officer who once was Case’s boyfriend, was found guilty in the stabbing death of Case. Months later, the verdict was set aside after information surfaced that led investigators to two other suspects: Earl Wright and Michael Nero. The summons also claims that Arcuri and Pylman acknowledged problems in their departments’ handling of Smith’s case through statements made to the press.
Robert Moran, the now disbarred lawyer arrested for his methamphetamine was the lawyer for this Smith. The fact Smith settled for a measly amount of money brings issues of what was his involvement in this case. This case went right into Robert Moran's trial in which Moran's attorney had wars with this DA's office and Mike ARcuri!

So, did this case EVER get the true justice? rumor has it Mike brought the material into the UPD's evidence room because Smith was no longer going to hold the title of conviction. What I mean is Mike needed to have the investigation stopped and Smith was willing to exploit himself to help stop the case until Mike found a couple of stooges willing to take the dive.

The question comes into play why did Mike demand a conviction then FIND the item to release him? Why was it Robert Moran Smith's lawyer?

Rumor has it on the streets that Robert Moran is a very good friend of Susan Arcuri, Mike Arcuri's cousin and a very trusted friend of Mike Arcuri himself. So, when Smith was willing to take a dive and collect a pittance, none of us believe Smith is innocent. We are NOT saying he killed the girl, we ALL believe he knows material relating to her murder and those involved in the case including Moran and Arcuri!
nice try

Utica, NY

#15 Oct 9, 2010
nice try, ask why. You have your crap all mixed up. Bob Moran was NOT the lawyer for Smith, it was a lawyer from Syracuse. Mr. Moran is the one who informed Smith's lawyer that Mike Arcuri was sitting on the evidence that exonerated Smith. Granted Moran was not squeaky clean but that is the reason for Arcuri's vendetta against him. Also, you really need to up your meds if you believe that susan arcuri is a "trusted friend of mike arcuri himself." perhaps you would like to check out her blog. The whole Case case is a testiment to mike arcuri's true character.
TJB

Rome, NY

#16 Oct 9, 2010
Smith was railroaded. There was no physical evidence tying him to the scene; and no evidence that he had been anywhere near the City at the time of the murder. Imagine; a 6 ft tall white man visiting a crack house in Cornhill; and none of the street people saw him there. The whole case stunk; and Mikey was eager for a conviction. Smith took a ride on the Oneida County Railroad; thanks to Mike Arcuri. Smith was a shaky character; but not a murderer. Arcuri didn't care.

Utica

#17 Oct 9, 2010
TJB wrote:
Smith was railroaded. There was no physical evidence tying him to the scene; and no evidence that he had been anywhere near the City at the time of the murder. Imagine; a 6 ft tall white man visiting a crack house in Cornhill; and none of the street people saw him there. The whole case stunk; and Mikey was eager for a conviction. Smith took a ride on the Oneida County Railroad; thanks to Mike Arcuri. Smith was a shaky character; but not a murderer. Arcuri didn't care.
NOT TRUE! His DNA was under her nails when the test came back he called in the day that the coroner said she had died, hes a creep that should rot in prison! The crackhouse wasnt even in cornhill so thats how much u know!
TJB

Rome, NY

#18 Oct 9, 2010
<quoted text>
NOT TRUE! His DNA was under her nails when the test came back he called in the day that the coroner said she had died, hes a creep that should rot in prison! The crackhouse wasnt even in cornhill so thats how much u know!
I'm aware of the DNA. There was never any denial that Smith was doing her. The larger question is when the DNA was left under her fingernails; and who else's DNA may have also settled there. If you're suggesting he should be in jail for Statutory Rape; Arcuri ruined any chance of that happening by going for a homicide conviction. I'm not familiar with the particular location; although you seem to know it like the back......never mind. Are you suggesting Smith actually did kill the woman ?

Utica

#19 Oct 9, 2010
Desiree was my best friend, you say you dont kno the location yet you bring up cornhill...she was not found in cornhill or staying in cornhill. I did not say he killed her...but he knows more than what he says, and I do not believe the kid that confessed did it, for he had no reason when he was asked why he did it! Smith is scum and hes going to hell!
TJB

Rome, NY

#20 Oct 9, 2010
Desiree was my best friend, you say you dont kno the location yet you bring up cornhill...she was not found in cornhill or staying in cornhill. I did not say he killed her...but he knows more than what he says, and I do not believe the kid that confessed did it, for he had no reason when he was asked why he did it! Smith is scum and hes going to hell!
I never said Smith wasn't a dirt bag; and I admit to being unfamiliar with the crime scene. Smith may go to hell; but he was convicted wrongfully for murder. Wasn't the murderers street name "capone" ? Wasn't the motive stolen drugs ? Was Smith involved with drugs ? What would he know about Desire's murder ? Your making the allegations. I'm simply asking what they're based on.
Sam

Utica, NY

#21 Oct 9, 2010
She was found on France Street

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton mother remembers missing daughter on he... 1 hr My Info 5
Obnoxiously Loud Commercial 1 hr Bec521 5
uninformed naysayer gets flushed over and over 2 hr fake cs 1
Hillary Clinton is an old washed up bag (Dec '12) 2 hr Zelenograd 35
area stuck in low speed internet 3 hr Ever notice 18
Utica Comets Website Gone 3 hr Welfie and Audie 18
hank brown radio show (Oct '09) 3 hr For Hank 14
WKTV "Breaking News" 4 hr Just Say No 6
state testing 6 hr cmon 20
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) Apr 15 duh 623