Say Goodbye to CBS 5 Syracuse
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Usta Bea Kidd

Syracuse, NY

#21 Apr 10, 2009
Thank you to everyone for "filling in the gaps in my memory.It took me a while to find this page again and it was well worth the effort. I will always cherish the memories of Magic Toy Shop,Mr.Trolley and all the others,that came into my home in "shades of gray" but are still so vividly colorful in my mind.I only wish I could forget the garish white wood furniture that was so in vogue in those days,sorry mom,but yuk !
Bless you all.
pattii

Syracuse, NY

#22 Apr 11, 2009
Usta Bea Kidd wrote:
<quoted text>Now if you remember Denny Sullivan and or Salty Sam we would be on about the same page.
Remember Denny Sullivan's part of the show where he would show birthday photos? Kids could send in their photo and he would show the pictures on TV and say who you were, your age, and what city you were from. Even as a little kid it taught me the names of cities and towns in my area of Central NY. I learned there was a Horseheads, and a Cicero, and a funny town called Mattydale, etc. I'm in my 50's but I often think of the show as I drive Rt. 81 or Rt. 13 or 11 and see all the familiar town names.
Usta Bea Kidd

Syracuse, NY

#23 Apr 11, 2009
pattii wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Denny Sullivan's part of the show where he would show birthday photos? Kids could send in their photo and he would show the pictures on TV and say who you were, your age, and what city you were from. Even as a little kid it taught me the names of cities and towns in my area of Central NY. I learned there was a Horseheads, and a Cicero, and a funny town called Mattydale, etc. I'm in my 50's but I often think of the show as I drive Rt. 81 or Rt. 13 or 11 and see all the familiar town names.
That is so interesting,I also learned the names of those cities and towns as you,and where I learned them flashes in some times as well. Maybe I can go you one better,as they say. Back in those precious days I held a Carnival for Muscular Distrophy as so many other kids did,and when they received the proceeds they announced my name on the show.My 15 minutes of fame had come early in life.
Jake

Manlius, NY

#24 Apr 12, 2009
unfortunare
Lee

Brooksville, FL

#25 May 8, 2009
Gosh I remember all those charactors so well. I thought that the Santa Claus who appeared on "The Magic Toy Shop" was the real one because he was so kind. When I was even younger I thought Eddies name was Eddie Flung Dung--ooops.
pattii

Syracuse, NY

#26 May 10, 2009
Usta Bea Kidd wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in those precious days I held a Carnival for Muscular Distrophy as so many other kids did,and when they received the proceeds they announced my name on the show. My 15 minutes of fame had come early in life.
Our neighbors had the carnivals for MD. We all went, and families got quite creative with the games and contests. Today you'd never see such an event, if someone got hurt on the property holding the little backyard event there would be lawyers everywhere!
toni

Long Eddy, NY

#27 May 13, 2009
Where did they go Donna Adamo Steve Hauf etc...
johnnygaza

United States

#28 Jul 13, 2009
Usta Bea Kidd wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed,and goodbye to Cap'n Kangaroo,and do any of you antiques remember when channel 5 was channel 8? I would like to know the call sign they used back then.
: That would be WHEN-TV, Channel 8. Here's another antique moment for you. My dad was friends with a fellow named Kermit Brenchley. He was the chief field engineer for WSYR. Many times Kermit would take me for rides in the WSYR 1955 Pontiac Chieftan (radio equipped) station wagon- to go out to Sentinel Heights to check the power readings. I visited there from the age of 5-9 w/Kerm & it was strictly Buck Rogers stuff. I can still taste the ozone...Back in the day, WSYR broadcast some of it's daily programs from a studio right across the street from the Onon. Cty. Office Bldg. I saw a live Jim Deline show & Ed Murphy (remember him?) zipped up my jacket 1 min. before airtime for Hollywood Matinee. Remember that? Ed was a nice guy. Joel Mariness(the sportscaster) was a total asshole. One day in '61 coming home from day camp he was right behind us in his '60 Olds convertible on James St. w/the top down. I made a perfect loft w/a 1/2 full 6 oz. coke over the windshield & into his lap from the camp bus. We escaped into traffic as the light changed, thank god. It remains a private moment between me&Joel to this day.Now that's history....Have tons of Syracuse history. My hometown too. Feel free to inquire. I was trying to find out about Merilee @ The Magic Toyshop when I saw your post. A guy I met briefly back in '74 said he picked her up in a bar in Solvay & got lucky. It's anecdotal, who knows? Ever spray the Cowsills w/a 16oz HOT pepsi at the '69 StateFair? Been there. Did that. Take care.-GAZA
sadly

Rome, NY

#29 Jul 17, 2009
how sad
Rando

Madison, WI

#30 Aug 24, 2009
I remember Stormy Meredith - he used to always say ..." and remember, BE WEATHERWISE!" as if he was reciting one of the Ten Commandments.
Sheila -Auburn

Malone, NY

#31 Sep 11, 2009
What happened to Channel 5? DISH network says it is a temporary interruption - but that was five days ago!! What gives?
Sheila -Auburn

Malone, NY

#32 Sep 11, 2009
What has happened to Channel 5, Syracuse? DISH network says it is a "temporary interuption - but that was five days ago!! What gives?
Rachael

Rome, NY

#33 Sep 11, 2009
We lot channel 5 a few days ago and we are on a converter box and inside antenna..we are on our 2nd box and 3rd antenna and we were getting channel 5 for about 1 week then it is gone so I thought we were having some more problems with our set up. This system really stinks..we do not watch tv that much but would like to at least have the local channels without any extra cost. Channel 5 was one of the channels we would watch so I am glad to see its not at least our setup.
amber

Manlius, NY

#34 Sep 11, 2009
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0...

An equipment problem interrupted the over-the-air and satellite broadcast signal for Syracuse's WTVH (Channel 5), but the problem won't be fixed for another few days, station officials said.

Chris Geiger, Syracuse president of Barrington Broadcasting, said Wednesday that WTVH engineers are still working on the problem. "Some repairs have been made," he said. "There are still additional repairs that need to be made."

Channel 5's programming has not been interrupted on Time Warner Cable
eaglet62

Norwich, CT

#35 Oct 11, 2009
Boomer wrote:
How about the "Magic Toy Shop" with Mr. Trolley, and Eddie Flumnum,Marilee?
I remember Marilee and Eddy Flumnum!!! "Just put your thumbs at the corners of your mouth ... LIKE THIS ... and turn them up, into a smile, you see it? Now YOU try it!!!"
cherribaby

Hilton, NY

#36 Dec 18, 2013
Who played santa on the magic toy shop ?
RDW53

Trumansburg, NY

#37 Jan 16, 2014
Dos anyone know where I can view a video of the old Ed Murphys Hollywod Matinee opening I'd luv to see that again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another shady Utica Comets Audit? 2 min Scams 106
Meet the REAL Brindisis of Utica! 4 min Hmmmm 46
What's your Tony Picenti FAIL tale? 12 min Watching 20
Million women marching in Washington 52 min Red eyes 15
ATL Windwarrior Gomez 1 hr Sitting bull 4
Hundreds of thousands of women marching in Wash... 1 hr Pants on fire 21
Frank ferno public defender 1 hr Joann 6
Protest in front of the State Building now 1 hr PointlessProtests 38
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 18 hr IND 782

Utica Jobs