Say Goodbye to CBS 5 Syracuse

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
spel chekk

Clinton, NY

#1 Mar 11, 2009
Just read in the Syracuse New Times that the company that owns WSTM Ch. 3 bought out Granite Broadcasting's WTVH CBS 5 recently. No more news reports from Ch. 5 -- it's history!

Sounds like what happened to WUTR Ch. 20 when the newscasts were terminated. You still have Ch. 20 but big deal, just part of an umbrella. That's what's happening to CBS 5. Just another sign of the economic times, I guess.

Goodbye, Mister Trolley..........
Sumo

Auburn, NY

#2 Mar 11, 2009
They only report bad stuff anyway. The first 15 minutes of their broadcast is all about murders, arsons, rapes, robberies, shootings, car chases and stolen babies. I always get the feeling watching News 5 that Syracuse must be the 7th Circle of Hell.
Usta Bea Kidd

Moravia, NY

#3 Mar 11, 2009
spel chekk wrote:
Just read in the Syracuse New Times that the company that owns WSTM Ch. 3 bought out Granite Broadcasting's WTVH CBS 5 recently. No more news reports from Ch. 5 -- it's history!
Sounds like what happened to WUTR Ch. 20 when the newscasts were terminated. You still have Ch. 20 but big deal, just part of an umbrella. That's what's happening to CBS 5. Just another sign of the economic times, I guess.
Goodbye, Mister Trolley..........
Indeed,and goodbye to Cap'n Kangaroo,and do any of you antiques remember when channel 5 was channel 8? I would like to know the call sign they used back then.
Euorgos

AOL

#4 Mar 11, 2009
Yes, this antique remembers WHEN, channel 8. Channel 8 had to move to 5 in the early 60's when channel 9 came on. Staying on 8 would have resulted in interference between 8 and 9.
It is a shame what has happened to local television news. Not just here but in other cities as well. It is all about the dollars. News production is expensive, and station owners just don't want to make the investment.
Wiki Google

Utica, NY

#5 Mar 11, 2009
Usta Bea Kidd wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed,and goodbye to Cap'n Kangaroo,and do any of you antiques remember when channel 5 was channel 8? I would like to know the call sign they used back then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTVH

Level 1

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Mar 11, 2009
I remember the "STM Club" as a kid.
Usta Bea Kidd

Moravia, NY

#7 Mar 11, 2009
Euorgos wrote:
Yes, this antique remembers WHEN, channel 8. Channel 8 had to move to 5 in the early 60's when channel 9 came on. Staying on 8 would have resulted in interference between 8 and 9.
It is a shame what has happened to local television news. Not just here but in other cities as well. It is all about the dollars. News production is expensive, and station owners just don't want to make the investment.
THATS IT !!! Thank you so much,you made an old guy happy :)
Usta Bea Kidd

Moravia, NY

#8 Mar 11, 2009
Moxie32 wrote:
I remember the "STM Club" as a kid.
I think one of my children was in that club. Now if you remember Denny Sullivan and or Salty Sam we would be on about the same page.
Boomer

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Mar 12, 2009
How about the "Magic Toy Shop" with Mr. Trolley, and Eddie Flumnum,Marilee?
spel chekk

Lee Center, NY

#10 Mar 12, 2009
Usta Bea Kidd wrote:
<quoted text>
I faintly remember "when" (no pun intended)--that was their call from 1948 to 1961 -- it was WHEN-TV 8, CBS affiliate, Meredith Corporation-owned. The FCC made WHEN and WROC in Rochester switch channels. 8 became 5 and 5 became 8. Their studios were originally somewhere near the Lyncourt district of Syracuse until 1964, when they moved to 980 James Street.

Here's some trivia. WHEN's station ID slide (from the late 50's to around 1966) was actually a shoreline/skyline view from the Onondaga Lake Parkway across the lake to the downtown area. The calls "WHEN-TV" in white capital letters towered over the skyline up in the clouds. I think the old channel 5 logo was the best they ever had, and I wish they would bring it back (the CBS eye made into the number "5").

I'm a 52 yr. old antique by the way (LOL).......
spel chekk

Lee Center, NY

#11 Mar 12, 2009
Euorgos wrote:
Yeah, the FCC didn't want Baron Daemon (Mike Price) to bite Eddie Flum-Numb's neck (LMAO)!!!
Hence, the switch to "5"........
spel chekk

Lee Center, NY

#12 Mar 12, 2009
Usta Bea Kidd wrote:
<quoted text>I think one of my children was in that club. Now if you remember Denny Sullivan and or Salty Sam we would be on about the same page.
I owe it all to both Denny and Salty for introducing me to Popeye, Betty Boop and Gabby (hap-hap-happy day!). To this very day, I still collect Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons and other memorabilia.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, and puppy dogs, too!" That old quote by Eddie Flum-Num was also spoofed on morning radio by Rick and Ron on WOLF.(I think it was a lead-in for a shoe store ad on MTS featuring Kedso the Clown for Keds-Kids-Keds)
spel chekk

Lee Center, NY

#13 Mar 12, 2009
Boomer wrote:
How about the "Magic Toy Shop" with Mr. Trolley, and Eddie Flumnum,Marilee?
Flum-Num was a trip. As a college kid back in 1976, when I was babysitting my nephew (now a chiropractor in CNY somewhere), he and I would watch the newer saturday version of the kid show, "Toy Shop Corporation", minus Mr. Trolley, who didn't look like a trolley anyway; looked more like a Friday the 13th Jason wanna-be (LOL). Anyway, by then the man who played Eddie was getting fat and dumpy, but it was still a trip to see him still acting goofy, and see my nephew laugh at him.

I'm surprised the trolley didn't actually frighten some of the kids watching. Jason was frightening. But I digress.........
Natasha

AOL

#14 Mar 13, 2009
Curious...20 years ago local tv news was a good money maker for the stations. Not anymore, I guess.
Euorgos

AOL

#15 Mar 13, 2009
"Mr. Trolley" was played by Dr. Lou O'Donnell. I remember as a kid watching him on that show, then years later in college at Oswego State I was one of his students. He passed away about five years ago.
spel chekk

Lee Center, NY

#16 Mar 17, 2009
Euorgos wrote:
"Mr. Trolley" was played by Dr. Lou O'Donnell. I remember as a kid watching him on that show, then years later in college at Oswego State I was one of his students. He passed away about five years ago.
Interesting that there were at least two Irish-American people on that program, the late Jean Dougherty (Play Lady, also the show's producer), and the late Dr. O'Donnell.

In 1990, Jean was Grand Marshall of the St. Patty's Day Parade in Syracuse, for what it's worth. The man who portrayed Eddie (I think, I'm not totally sure) designed the TV 5 logo in the early 60's, and taught at Oswego State. Correct me if I'm wrong. "Eddie" is also a godparent of a well-known landscaper in CNY, I'm led to believe.

I reiterate: Goodbye, Mr. Trolley.......
Molly

United States

#17 Mar 17, 2009
Thanks guys you brought back great memories. I totally forgot about all those characters until I read this. Do you guys remember the weather man "Storm Meredith?
spel chekk

Lee Center, NY

#18 Mar 17, 2009
Molly wrote:
Thanks guys you brought back great memories. I totally forgot about all those characters until I read this. Do you guys remember the weather man "Storm Meredith?
Wasn't he on "Colorful Channel 9", then WNYS, back in the 60's? I'm 52, and can barely remember this. I could be wrong.
Kip Brown

Rochester, NY

#19 Apr 1, 2009
Euorgos wrote:
Dr. O'Donnell was the head of the Communications department at Oswego went I went there (1974 grad). A great man -- warm, open, engaging, and a great dean. Loved him. And I remember watching him on the Magic Toy Shop when I lived in Auburn
Terry

Syracuse, NY

#20 Apr 10, 2009
Ummm....the trolley DID frighten children, namely ME, but now I would LOVE any archived footage. Mr. Trolley is the best! I remember that character so well. I loved that show SO much when I was little! You can find excerpts on YouTube.com - pretty cool!
=====
spel chekk wrote:
<quoted text>
Flum-Num was a trip. As a college kid back in 1976, when I was babysitting my nephew (now a chiropractor in CNY somewhere), he and I would watch the newer saturday version of the kid show, "Toy Shop Corporation", minus Mr. Trolley, who didn't look like a trolley anyway; looked more like a Friday the 13th Jason wanna-be (LOL). Anyway, by then the man who played Eddie was getting fat and dumpy, but it was still a trip to see him still acting goofy, and see my nephew laugh at him.
I'm surprised the trolley didn't actually frighten some of the kids watching. Jason was frightening. But I digress.........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Upstate job growth slow despite taxpayer subsidies (Mar '17) 2 min DISTROY DEMOCRATES 198
Elaine Bonanza 9 min pawl 16
Who is the female dead body in Yorkville? 26 min Mike 1
remember al marone 50 min tough Tony 7
moore pulls ahead 58 min Angertown 20
Judge Berry and Utica Family Court (Aug '09) 1 hr Question mark 27
Is WalMart distribution Center Really This Bad ? (Jan '12) 1 hr I try my best 61
Par 2 hr Puhlease 86
Unstable Fire Marshall 7 hr Mark 69
New Hartford Baskets 10 hr SUCK UP 28
12 north sports bar Wed Old V baller 28
Is the mafia still in Utica? (Jul '08) Wed dumb guineas 242

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages