Charter schools now taking applications

Posted in the Utica Forum

Cammie

New Hartford, NY

#1 Jan 25, 2013
Now taking applications. Call the UCSD office for all the info. Get your application in early. Give your kid a better option than the limited choices you have now. If the public school system and the Catholic school system fall well below what your kid deserves, go to the charter schools at no extra cost to you. Let your kid know what a real education taught by certified professionals feels like.
Soloing

New Hartford, NY

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Thanks!
duh

Boston, MA

#3 Jan 25, 2013
Good luck with that. They'll be closed within 5 years or earlier like most other small town startups. I how they can manage to do the lottery in a fair manner and not take their top choices. Try taking the refugees. If you make them succeed, I'll send my own kids to you.
hannabannana

New Hartford, NY

#4 Jan 25, 2013
I called and got the info. I'm glad we at least have a choice now. Thank God.
hex

New Hartford, NY

#5 Jan 25, 2013
duh wrote:
Good luck with that. They'll be closed within 5 years or earlier like most other small town startups. I how they can manage to do the lottery in a fair manner and not take their top choices. Try taking the refugees. If you make them succeed, I'll send my own kids to you.
At least give it a chance. There are at least two in small towns west of here that have lasted over 10 years. The way I look at it, a few years of great learning is better than no years at the city schools or catholic schools(ugh) which are the pitts.
jockot

New Hartford, NY

#6 Jan 25, 2013
The only negatives that you will read or hear about will come from the teachers, public and private, who think they will be cut. If they are they have no one to blame but themselves. The two charter schools that are opening, have a lot of years of success behind them--unlike the UCSD and the dumpy catholic schools.
teacher

Utica, NY

#7 Jan 25, 2013
I hope they do well. Healthy competition should be good. Maybe the BOE will open their eyes and wake up.
Jobs

Utica, NY

#8 Jan 25, 2013
When can teachers apply there?
Truth

Utica, NY

#9 Jan 26, 2013
If the post is true then you will start to see anti-charter school stories starting to pop up more and more. There will be complaints about how they siphon money away from already tight school budgets and how they cater to a select few. Keep an eye out for those and recognize them for what they are.

The truth is that a charter school will offer an alternative to the traditional public school and will be good for the children and good for the taxpayers. Teacher unions don't like them because of the competition and accountibility that comes as a result of having alternatives.

I hope they succeed. Education needs to be what is best for the children and not what's best for the unions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indoor Junk Yards an Enviromental hazard and-WH... (Feb '10) 4 min JunkYardLover 20
Utica teachers to Kids: Drop Dead 12 min robster 2
UCSD rejects 4 million dollars 18 min robster 3
NanoNovember is almost here!!!!! YEAH!!!! 20 min Utica Coment fan 10
Judge Julia Brouillette in Family Court (Nov '12) 21 min Change Starts at ... 17
Rat Picente endorses Cuomo in TV ads 41 min John 43
Charlie's Pizza Closing 51 min trust me 15
Proctor football should be ashamed. 1 hr Given up 28
David Inserra 1 hr Dreezy 28
Big drug bust new hartford 25,000 cash money 2 hr Drugs are all ove... 18
School Principals 16 hr Ray 8
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica Jobs

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info