What is the best police & fire scanner. Where is the best store to buy one?

Posted in the Utica Forum

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2013
Suzi-Q

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

I have a ten channel direct entry programmable one. It's a Realistic hand held one. I don't even know the codes to program this one. Thank you for your help.
DavidE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

The code is 80085

Level 3

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

get the app for your phone. it is free and works great.

“I Make you wonder”

Level 7

Since: Jan 13

Whitesboro, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

I never understood the need for scanners. Built for nosey people.
hank hill

Roscoe, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Titanium22 wrote:
they're handy when you live in a small area. I was taking care of a lady in her home and she had one, a barn up the road from our house was on fire so I called my mom to tell her cuz they were friends of theirs and my dad ran out of the house and got in the car and went up there and went in the barn and got all of their cows out and most of their calves, I think he couldn't get 2 of the calves before the barn started collapsing. They would have lost them all that night if it hadn't been for this lady having a scanner. A life is a life wether its yours or someone elses. It all matters. Human or animal.
hank hill

Roscoe, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Titanium22 wrote:
oh...and her son was a volunteer for the FD. It wasn't that she was nosey, he lived with her and took care of her. I'd go sit with her while he was at work. But, they are handy for small areas so neighbors can help neighbors out if theres an emergency, neighbors just hop in the car and go if they think they can help while the FD and ambulance have to go get the equipment before they can get there since they are on call 24/7 but don't stay at the firehouse.

“I Make you wonder”

Level 7

Since: Jan 13

Whitesboro, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

I agree with that Hank, but here in Utica people aren't using them to try and help one another.
Eight Equals D

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

hank hill wrote:
<quoted text>
they're handy when you live in a small area. I was taking care of a lady in her home and she had one, a barn up the road from our house was on fire so I called my mom to tell her cuz they were friends of theirs and my dad ran out of the house and got in the car and went up there and went in the barn and got all of their cows out and most of their calves, I think he couldn't get 2 of the calves before the barn started collapsing. They would have lost them all that night if it hadn't been for this lady having a scanner. A life is a life wether its yours or someone elses. It all matters. Human or animal.
Okay if you're a hick you might get some use out of one.

Most normal people let the professionals deal with stuff instead of drooling onto their scanner listening to ambulance calls all night.
hank hill

Roscoe, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Eight Equals D wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay if you're a hick you might get some use out of one.
Most normal people let the professionals deal with stuff instead of drooling onto their scanner listening to ambulance calls all night.
I didn't know ppl in cities might want one (never put alot of thought into it though), I suppose they could come in handy a few times a year in a city, like when you hear gunshots close by and dont want to go near a window to see whats going on lol.

Level 3

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Hank is right. I live in a city and listen to my scanner app often. It is especially handy when there is a power outage. You can here the utilities talking to police and fire and you get an idea of whats going on. It lets you know that a bird flew into a line rather than the entire east coast grid has failed. While it is entertaining it gives me peace of mind as well to know what is going on. It also exposes all the nasty stuff that never makes the news. It serves as a good reminder to be safe when you leave your home. In a way it help to remove the rose colored glasses that many people look through.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica