Health Insurance question.

Health Insurance question.

Posted in the Utica Forum

Wondering

Herkimer, NY

#1 Oct 20, 2013
Does anyone know how all this will be working. I'm paying 160 bucks a week for me and my wife for the family plan. Although that does include dental, it's still a huge chunk of change from my paycheck. My question is, am I obligated to get it thru my employer or can I shop around for something more affordable outside of my workplace? Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

High Top

Whitesboro, NY

#2 Oct 20, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Does anyone know how all this will be working. I'm paying 160 bucks a week for me and my wife for the family plan. Although that does include dental, it's still a huge chunk of change from my paycheck. My question is, am I obligated to get it thru my employer or can I shop around for something more affordable outside of my workplace? Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Go to healthcare.gov or the NYS equivalent site...probably need to sort through a lot of stuff. Could also ask whoever handles your companies HR stuff.

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#3 Oct 20, 2013
Wondering wrote:
99 percent of the time you are better off going through your employer because they are paying a portion of it.
Zoo

Newark, NJ

#4 Oct 20, 2013
Well I am just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
99 percent of the time you are better off going through your employer because they are paying a portion of it.
Agree
well

Waterville, NY

#5 Oct 20, 2013
Your employer will have to offer you coverage that doesn't cost more then 9.5% of your income. That's if they are a large employer. They don't have to offer any coverage for your family
Not too confusing

Boca Raton, FL

#6 Oct 20, 2013
I believe if your current employer offers insurance that you can not get Obamaare at this time.

Also, you can be exempted from the requirement to buy any health insurance – and from the Obamacare penalty – if you meet one of the following requirements:

•You are uninsured for less than three months of the year.

•You live illegally in the United States.

•You’re incarcerated, and not awaiting disposition.

•You’re a member of a recognized Indian tribe.

•Your income is officially deemed too low.

•The lowest-priced coverage would cost more than 8 percent of your household income.

•You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare.

•You’re a member of a recognized health-sharing ministry.(Note: Christian Scientists do not currently qualify for the exemption.)

Healthcare.gov also provides a list of hardship exemptions that qualify an individual for exemption
Wondering

Herkimer, NY

#7 Oct 21, 2013
Thanks so much for the info guys, it's already been a huge help for me. I appreciate it very much!!
Luigi

Ithaca, NY

#9 Oct 21, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Thanks so much for the info guys, it's already been a huge help for me. I appreciate it very much!!
You still can shop around even if you have insurance through your employer.$640 a month seems high for employee + 1. I thought the basic Obamacare plan was about that for a family with children. What others said is true though - employers plans are still better. Even if you found an Obamacare plan with cheaper premiums, the deductible and copays are probably ridiculous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More threats 38 min Utica 1
mike lynch and karen 54 min Your son 5
Slice pizzeria 57 min Mike 2
Joette Mancuso 1 hr Fact 35
Work On Aud Improvements 1 hr An Even Better Bu... 428
Salintino take down your signs 1 hr Snowytino 7
NH online is locked down 1 hr Fact 8
Kelly Uvanni or the Summitt car girl? 5 hr No Batman Costume... 20
Kaitlyn Conley (Jun '16) 5 hr Scotts Smirk Slapped 704
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 6 hr JUST gettin started 98