Hometown Girl: Anonymous commenters, bloggers defile city

Jul 8, 2011 | Posted by: tolles | Full story: www.uticaod.com

Hand wringing local competitor savages the citizens of Utica over their comments

Comments
21 - 40 of 355 Comments Last updated Aug 12, 2013
moooooooo

Saint Johnsville, NY

#29 Jul 9, 2011
Just saw her, she's Billy Fuccillo huge, HUGE TOM, HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
cicero

Cortland, NY

#30 Jul 9, 2011
if people dont agree with topix dont read it we are not making you read topix. grow up your professor should have said.... he is prob hoping she doesn't come back to collage.. prob has a career in collage.. some people go to collage their whole lives to do nothing and complain to the gov their is no jobs
Ronald McDonald

Utica, NY

#31 Jul 9, 2011
cicero wrote:
if people dont agree with topix dont read it we are not making you read topix. grow up your professor should have said.... he is prob hoping she doesn't come back to collage.. prob has a career in collage.. some people go to collage their whole lives to do nothing and complain to the gov their is no jobs
Who told you to leave work early today?
mel

Arlington Heights, IL

#32 Jul 9, 2011
moooooooo wrote:
Just saw her, she's Billy Fuccillo huge, HUGE TOM, HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
Huge tom, priceless. ROLOL
first prize

Atlanta, GA

#34 Jul 9, 2011
cicero wrote:
shes trying to get a name for herself because she doesn't have face i wasn't even going to look at this post the headline was stupid? the best thing to do is change the channel on this girls post i guess she cant do that because shes not an adult yet
She has, Miss Holstein.
Rings

Utica, NY

#35 Jul 10, 2011
What a smack in the face for the OD Donna should patrol her minions a lot better lest they embarrass the fk out of her like this!!
Jason

Utica, NY

#36 Jul 10, 2011
The comments in this thread only proves that Topix is full of anonymous haters who feel the need to trash talk vs. having a true debate on freedom of the press and modern journalism. These comments are almost as painful to read as youtube's.

Serious question to people though.. If you don't care for someone's opinion, why personally attack them? Or insult someone because you don't care for their story. Why not offer an intellectual debate? If anything, you only confirm the point she's trying to make..
cicero

Cortland, NY

#37 Jul 10, 2011
Jason wrote:
The comments in this thread only proves that Topix is full of anonymous haters who feel the need to trash talk vs. having a true debate on freedom of the press and modern journalism. These comments are almost as painful to read as youtube's.
Serious question to people though.. If you don't care for someone's opinion, why personally attack them? Or insult someone because you don't care for their story. Why not offer an intellectual debate? If anything, you only confirm the point she's trying to make..
she is the one attacking she said people in utica cant spell or use proper grammar? when the paper she works for does the same mistakes she is the one attacking our free speech if she or you dont like it then dont come her or on the internet

“Plays well with others.”

Level 8

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#38 Jul 11, 2011
tolles wrote:
(This is a copy of how I responded to Cassaundra directly on the story)
Cassaundra:
Typical. You make the assumption that being a journalist gives you a special role with regard to your opinion vs those of the people.
You characterize Topix (a competitor to your company) as "riddled with untruths, exaggerations and ignorant accusations against local residents" as if the posters on Topix were not also of and by Uticans.
Let me point out to you and your journalism professor that the first documented anonymous speech in America was Ben Franklin's "The SIlence Dogood letters", and that the tone and tenor of the newspapers in the first days of the Republic was something that our founding fathers would recognize in Topix. Check out what Hamilton and Jefferson had to say about each other:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReasonTV#p/u/52/Y...
According to Quantcast, your publication gets approximately 80k visitors from the Utica area, whilst Topix gets about 32k from that same DMA. So in just your city we are about a third of how large you, a dedicated local newspaper with decades of history, are -- so with regard to your statement:
"I want to believe these people do not represent my hometown. Actually, I know they donít."
let me just say first that you're wrong -- the people on our site in the Utica forum are just as representative of Utica as you (or your newspaper) are, and there are 400+ of them on our site in that forum as I write this, and also that we've had posts from tens of thousands of people in our Utica forum over the past several years.
Who are you to say that you represent Utica and that the average Utican who is given a worldwide platform for their opinions and viewpoints, is not?
The Supreme court has consistently held that anonymous speech is essential to the freedom of speech. Sorry that the editorial control of Utica is no longer in the hands of a journalistic elite, but rather in those of your fellow Uticans.
How appropriate that right after our nation's July 4th birthday, that I'd have the opportunity to protect the freedom of speech from that most insidious of enemies - a hand wringing journalist afraid of what people really think.
Chris Tolles
CEO Topix
Chris, you need to find someone to get your points up a bit..TOP MOD 5 is back from vacation today...LOL Give them some click assignments.
Nasty

Oxford, NY

#39 Jul 11, 2011
I have found that fat, ugly women have nothing positive to say. This "article" by Cassandra Babar is no different. Yes, Babar.
seriously

United States

#40 Jul 11, 2011
You people are disgusting excuses for human beings. Get a life, read a book, and grow some compassion and intellegence.

“SoFunnyAt420”

Level 4

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#41 Jul 11, 2011
Mike

Utica, NY

#42 Jul 11, 2011
seriously wrote:
You people are disgusting excuses for human beings. Get a life, read a book, and grow some compassion and intellegence.
Learn to spell "intelligence" idiot. Did you get that reading a book?

“CEO”

Level 1

Since: Dec 05

San Francisco

#43 Jul 11, 2011
Ok --

reading through the 42 comments here -- there were a couple which were over the line (and were deleted). some childish personal attacks, as well as a couple of reasonable points regarding Topix moderation and a couple of other issues.

Overall, I'd rather have this site than Cassaundra's (where they never posted my comment, and have two comments in total on this piece).

My issue with Cassaundra is not her weight, its that she's a coward and won't engage with people either here or on her own article.

I hate it when the press thinks it is the arbiter of public discourse. They aren't anymore.
You know who

New Hartford, NY

#44 Jul 11, 2011
Don't expect a response from them Mr T.

It's not gonna happen. From watching them for years I would predict they're hoping this just goes away and they certainly wouldn't want you to have a larger audience with their kind of readers anyway. Their demographic seems to be the "boilermaker road nfp race" and the bake sale crowd. FOr example today, your response wasn't posted because they must have needed the room for their breaking news about an old man, 92 another local hero that ran their boilermaker road race.
That's big big news to them. Your defense is not.

http://www.uticaod.com/latestnews/x910598517/...

They don't want to hear any bad news so long as they have jobs. If you had like a month and cared you could find that there's definitely a sort of ruling class here in utica and they all work together to shout people like you and those on topix upset and talking down. They've done it for decades she's been there. You're definitely not the only one who had their response thrown in the circular file. It doesn't jibe with how fair and "positive" they are for the community.

Waiting for them to post your reply is well intended but hopeless this is a journalistic appalachia up here. THEIR agenda sticks. No one else's.
yes

Saint Johnsville, NY

#45 Jul 11, 2011
tolles wrote:
Ok --
reading through the 42 comments here -- there were a couple which were over the line (and were deleted). some childish personal attacks, as well as a couple of reasonable points regarding Topix moderation and a couple of other issues.
Overall, I'd rather have this site than Cassaundra's (where they never posted my comment, and have two comments in total on this piece).
My issue with Cassaundra is not her weight, its that she's a coward and won't engage with people either here or on her own article.
I hate it when the press thinks it is the arbiter of public discourse. They aren't anymore.
But if we have the right to post how we really feel, then you shouldn't remove such a post as, I think she is fat, just making a point. If the entire basis of this allows people to express without prejudice against us, then why are you allowed to decide what can be said. I don't think she is a coward, she is pathetic in the sense we are all suppose to be robots and can't say anything that might hurt someones feelings. She should talk when her paper is the most one sided un-journalistic piece of paper around. They try and sway opinion, and this is unacceptable for a news source.
Confirmed

Utica, NY

#46 Jul 11, 2011
So is your problem with the person who wrote the article or the newspaper themselves?

Do you really believe topix has better quality of writing then newspapers? At least she's willing use her real name when she expresses her thoughts; unlike 95% of the people to write to Topix. Chris, I agree, the OD should've printed your story. But my guess is your overall argument should be addressed to her editor or even the publisher... Did you submit an editorial or just post in a a comments field?

I honestly think this is a good discussion to have but I don't see where personal attacks against this woman is relevant or needed.

"I have found that fat, ugly women have nothing positive to say." Really? You're that shallow and ignorant? lol.. I wish this person would have enough courage to post their picture and name to all their posts on topix but it's people like this that proves her point.

clueless

Saint Johnsville, NY

#47 Jul 11, 2011
Confirmed wrote:
So is your problem with the person who wrote the article or the newspaper themselves?
Do you really believe topix has better quality of writing then newspapers? At least she's willing use her real name when she expresses her thoughts; unlike 95% of the people to write to Topix. Chris, I agree, the OD should've printed your story. But my guess is your overall argument should be addressed to her editor or even the publisher... Did you submit an editorial or just post in a a comments field?
I honestly think this is a good discussion to have but I don't see where personal attacks against this woman is relevant or needed.
"I have found that fat, ugly women have nothing positive to say." Really? You're that shallow and ignorant? lol.. I wish this person would have enough courage to post their picture and name to all their posts on topix but it's people like this that proves her point.
The guy never said anything about -I have found that fat, ugly women have nothing positive to say- learn how to read. He actually sticks up for her and said the problem is not her weight. When its really both. She should do something healthy like jog around the moon and worry about her weight instead of what others say.
Lena

New Hartford, NY

#48 Jul 11, 2011
Confirmed wrote:
Utica. Always low standards. Always!
FISH

Saint Johnsville, NY

#49 Jul 11, 2011
Lena wrote:
<quoted text>Utica. Always low standards. Always!
You know the gov forces women to get jobs don't you, because you're soooooo smart. ROLOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hotel Utica Manager Matt Gaetano ARRESTED (AGAIN) 8 min Utica Sambo Tech ... 4
Utica Comet's schedule just out ! 11 min Utica Sambo Tech ... 69
D AND D AUTO SALES/BODY RUTGER/oriskany (Apr '13) 11 min Jim 30
Utica needs State Control Board or else (Oct '12) 23 min Mayor Palmieri 3
Utica a failed city (Sep '12) 31 min Mayor Palmieri 8
Remington to lay off 105 workers in NY 34 min CNY SUNYPIES 81
ABC busts cop w/stolen iPad using homing device! (Sep '12) 35 min Thief 6
utica aud 1 hr Maintenance 131
Dierks Bentley at the Aud 1 hr Pretty Much 45
utica national (Jun '13) 5 hr CEO 523