Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Washington, Oregon, California and New York:
Rates to drop by as much as 50%!
...and these are just the beginning. Seems to me with numbers like this somebody just dropped a steaming pile of crap in the Teabaggers teapot!
works for me.
keep wishing

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

For those who are offered insurance through work you have to take it and cannot participate in exchanges. Private insurance set to go up 50% next year. Only a good deal for the unemployed or part time.
great Caesars ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

the major providers are lowering rates across the board. now since they can soon only skim 20% with the rest actually going to pay for our care AND the fact that they will be getting a huge influx of new customers the most basic economic rules say THIS IS A GOOD THING for everyone. relax now. you're gonna benefit from the ACA. (even though the big bad black man made you do it) stop making siht up wisher.
not true

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

I don't know which MSNBC commentator you got your daily brain washing from today but those numbers you are quoting have no basis in reality. I work in that field in this area and get tell you that you will not see rates being lowered for anyone. It isn't happening. Can you link us to your actual source so we can try to explain how you are being fooled?
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Wake the hell up! who still watches ANY of that crap?(besides you...)

(Reuters)- Many New York state residents who buy health insurance next year will most likely see their premiums cut by half as President Barack Obama's healthcare law creates subsidies that may increase the number of people in this market by the hundreds of thousands.

Information on the state's rates, which will figure in a national debate over whether "Obamacare" will make health insurance more affordable, was released on Wednesday by Governor Andrew Cuomo. The figures represent some of the biggest discounts seen among a handful of states that have disclosed price information for the plans, which will begin to be offered to consumers on Oct. 1.

California announced in May that rates would fall as much as 29 percent. But state officials later came under fire from conservative commentators who said rates could more than double for some people, depending on the demographic.

The average premium of the most comprehensive health insurance plans in New York, known as "platinum" and "gold" plans, will fall 53 percent, the date released by Cuomo showed. The figure is based on rates approved for plans from 17 insurers, including the nation's largest, like UnitedHealth Group Inc. and WellPoint Inc.
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

If you're old and unhealthy you're about to get a heck of a deal.

If you're young you're about to get epically screwed.

The problem is that young, perfectly healthy 26 year olds are going to be paying the same rates as chronically ill, morbidly obese 60 year olds. The catch is that those 26 year olds don't have to play along with the rigged game.

The IRS tax penalty of around $650, helpfully taken right out of the tax refunds of those 26 year olds, is less than even the cheapest insurance plan available on the exchanges. So if you're young it's in your best interests to not buy insurance unless and until you're diagnosed with a health problem. Then you need to plow everything into getting a platinum policy, which the carrier has to issue upon request.

Old people are going to be telling you kids that it's your duty to buy these policies even if you're perfectly healthy. DON'T FALL FOR IT. They've rigged the game in their favor and don't have your best interests at heart. You're just throwing your money away if you buy in.
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

There's one other thing I should mention to young people. Talk to your parents *now* about making arrangements to dodge the mandatory buy in.

It's perfectly legal to not buy insurance until you have a health problem. If and when that happens your best option is for your family to gift you the full cost of a platinum plan. Gifts don't count as income, so you'll be able to get an absolutely insane subsidy and then buy a top of the line policy only when you need it.
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Da Law wrote:
It's perfectly legal to not buy insurance until you have a health problem.
... that kind of idiotic thinking should be standard on the gravestones of those against the ACA.
as a long time buyer of health insurance on the open market, i'm looking forward to the upcoming options and decrease in premiums. i'm also tired of freeloaders (the uninsured) clogging emergency services with their basic needs or getting free advanced care they can't and don't pay for while my rates skyrocket. young or old, nobody gets out of here alive. "we're all in this together" and those who are hell bent on going it alone do so at their own peril. even then i would never say "let 'em die". i'll leave that mentality to the tea baggers.
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

...and those who wish (ie the young) can buy much less costly/higher deductible plans that cover them for catastrophic medical events thus shielding the well insured (me) from paying for their chemo etc... just know you'll lose everything you have or hope to have before i have to chip in for your medicaid when you get sick & go bankrupt.
Jay Radwick

Cortland, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

great Ceasers ghost wrote:
...and those who wish (ie the young) can buy much less costly/higher deductible plans that cover them for catastrophic medical events thus shielding the well insured (me) from paying for their chemo etc...
Why would they do that? It's foolish for anyone young and healthy to even think about getting a policy since they all cost more than the penalty. It's in their best interests to not purchase insurance until there's a problem.

I have a feeling you're one of those oldsters who thought kids were going to be picking up your insurance tab.
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Jay Radwick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would they do that? It's foolish for anyone young and healthy to even think about getting a policy since they all cost more than the penalty. It's in their best interests to not purchase insurance until there's a problem.
I have a feeling you're one of those oldsters who thought kids were going to be picking up your insurance tab.
yeah right. the "young & healthy" never get sick or injured....until they do... then it's "the oldsters" like me paying higher premiums that get the shaft. i pay far more than my fair share and there's not a "kid" in the world who's contributed a dime for my healthcare. the ACA is far from what i'd hoped for (universal, single payer or public option) but is definitely a step in the right direction.
NY John

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Anything this president does SUCKS
Obamacare

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

will be best in the long run...OBAMAcare RULES!
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

NY John wrote:
Anything this president does SUCKS
Oops there it is! LOL ..the typical right wing extremist mentality. No facts, no coherent rebuttal, just "everything he does sucks". Doesn't get much more ignorant than that. Well at least the house GOP has voted to repeal the ACA 38 times (and counting) so far with zero chance of the senate following suit or the president signing off. Gotta love 'em for showing us all the meaning of futility.
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

<quoted text>
... that kind of idiotic thinking should be standard on the gravestones of those against the ACA.
As opposed to the brilliant thinking that healthy young people would mindlessly buy an insurance product they don't need? We're not stupid. We can read actuarial tables. It doesn't make any economic sense for me to buy any health insurance until I'm well into my 30s.
as a long time buyer of health insurance on the open market, i'm looking forward to the upcoming options and decrease in premiums.
Let me translate:

"I'm an old guy looking forward to all you kids being forced to buy insurance so my rates can go down."

The only problem being that we don't have to buy in to your rigged game, Grandpa.
i'm also tired of freeloaders (the uninsured) clogging emergency services with their basic needs or getting free advanced care they can't and don't pay for while my rates skyrocket.
Rest assured, that problem is going to vanish on January 1st, 2014.
Da Law

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

just know you'll lose everything you have or hope to have before i have to chip in for your medicaid when you get sick & go bankrupt.
I'm sorry, but this is just an oldster scare tactic. Under the law any individual, or their legal representative,*must* be issued an insurance policy on demand.

In the unlikely event you're a young person diagnosed with a chronic disease all you need to do is make the payment, preferably for the Platinum plan, and the insurance company is on the hook for your medical expenses. If you're incapacitated your legal representative can do the same thing on your behalf.

At most you'll be out a few thousand dollars in out of pocket expenses for the treatment you receive before the policy goes into effect.
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

great advise there duh law....and don't forget to advise all your young'ns that even though the preventative medical services that the insured get save lives, it's better to gamble. what's a life worth anyway? not much to you evidently. nah people in their 30s never get sick or injured. just a simple fall, some sutures, or a cold that goes into pneumonia can cost tens of thousands or more and NO you won't be instantly insured from your hospital bed....but you & your's go 'head. try & beat the odds. maybe you'll be lucky....or not but with the ACA in place I will no longer be paying for your stupidity as my premiums are about to go DOWN....but again it's your choice to play russian roulette.
the past

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

<quoted text>
yeah right. the "young & healthy" never get sick or injured....until they do... then it's "the oldsters" like me paying higher premiums that get the shaft. i pay far more than my fair share and there's not a "kid" in the world who's contributed a dime for my healthcare. the ACA is far from what i'd hoped for (universal, single payer or public option) but is definitely a step in the right direction.
Do not forget that it was the for couple of decades of your life that someone else paid for you too. So while you think today a kid hasn't contributed to your healthcare expenses, you were once that kid that others were paying for.
great Ceasers ghost

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

the past wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not forget that it was the for couple of decades of your life that someone else paid for you too. So while you think today a kid hasn't contributed to your healthcare expenses, you were once that kid that others were paying for.
Ummm yeah... my parents covered me for the most of the 1st 2 decades. then within a year of leaving home i was insured either through an employer (which i paid for) or direct as it stands now. so i'v always paid my own way, my own premiums, used common sense, prioritized and with a family i'd have gone under a dozen times were it not for my insurance coverage. look around at all the young smokers. they all think they're invincible right? "cancer won't happen to me"... but 1 IN 4 WILL get cancer. that's fact. now at least some will (although kicking & screaming) have access to things the un-insured don't. lives will be saved and hopefully more people will live long enough to know the absolute joy of being called "grandpa" when it comes from your grandson or daughter....and i'm not THAT old. LOL this grandpa plans on working another 20 years.
they will not

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

great advise there duh law....and don't forget to advise all your young'ns that even though the preventative medical services that the insured get save lives, it's better to gamble. what's a life worth anyway? not much to you evidently. nah people in their 30s never get sick or injured. just a simple fall, some sutures, or a cold that goes into pneumonia can cost tens of thousands or more and NO you won't be instantly insured from your hospital bed....but you & your's go 'head. try & beat the odds. maybe you'll be lucky....or not but with the ACA in place I will no longer be paying for your stupidity as my premiums are about to go DOWN....but again it's your choice to play russian roulette.
I'm about to explain to you why you will not see reduced rates for any sustained time.

Do you remember when the STAR program was introduced in NY to reduce property taxes? Do you remember at the time you perhaps had a person 15 years ago paying $2,000 in property taxes. STAR was introduced and we all qualified. That person say a reduction to about $1,600 in property taxes because essentially the state was making up the difference to the counties and schools. The next year, the property taxes went back to about $2,000 but they made sure to tell you that without STAR it would have been $2,400. The next year it went to $2,200 but they made sure to tell you without STAR it would have been $2,600. Today that person is paying about $4,000. Is $4,000 less than $2,000 prior to STAR? I don't think so.

And what else did the state do? Started reducing payments to the schools because they were too broke to pay the same rates to the schools. So think about this. They gave a so called subsidy to the schools and counties to reduce the rates. They then found they didn't really have the money so the schools and counties just raises the rates again to reclaim the lost money.

You cannot have sustained reduced rates with a one-time influx of new premium payers. As long as new medical equipment is developed and needs to be paid for rates will go up. As long as people live long and rely on procedures and prescriptions rates will go up. As long as procedures are done to keep the elderly alive longer, rates will go up.

So, just forcing a group of 20 million people to start paying premiums will be a short term transfer of wealth from young to old who will see a reduction in rates perhaps, but within a couple of years, your rates will have surpassed why they are today with no end in site for the rate of increase.

Want another example? Younger people are required to pay into Social security now correct? Is that more solvent this year than it was the year before? Answer: No. Why? Because the elderly are drawing far more from it than they ever put into it.

So you can complain about your health insurance premiums going to pay for younger people but the younger people's SS premiums are going to pay for your retirement checks from it. How about you give up an equal amount of your monthly social security check as you see in your health insurance premium reduction. I'll bet you are unwilling to accept that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

344 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Stewarts wont go to shit W.Utica 2 min Gaggy 8
WKTV - Where The News Is Always MAJOR & NATIONAL! 2 min Superlatives Come First 29
High quality fake ID's and passports 3 min Must be a Utican 10
wktv 14 min News hound 6
Why are so many blacks moving to Canada? (Jun '09) 19 min Gaggy 23
Fitch Affirms Utica, NY's GOs at 'BBB'; Outlook... 29 min Well 1
Brindisi Vanishing Posts = Something to hide? 38 min J Petrone Esquirrel 2
Corked Winebar 50 min dummy 27
Officer hit with frying pan 1 hr Kitchen Nightmares 39
Lieutenant Hauck and Louis T. Disagree 1 hr ACN 30
Radisson's Easter Dinner 2 hr Too bad sooo sad 34
Official: Goodbye Comets 2 hr Sport for gay men 159
•••
•••