Holy Trinity School of the 1960s

Holy Trinity School of the 1960s

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Paul Pollack

Oneida, NY

#1 Jan 27, 2010
Who remembers the nuns? the kids? Msgr Jankiewicz?

Sr Olympia? The "dungeon"? Polish language lessons at the convent?
Daddums

Algodones, NM

#2 Jan 28, 2010
Why the F**K are you bringing this up ? I have been in therapy for years trying forget and undo the damages incurred on my innocent inner-child !!!
I do recall seeing Sister Angelica turn orange and green one day from our antics and she disappeared for months into the looney bin, "on vacation" - our greatest triumph ! There were the few initial "civilian" lay teachers who came in and were HOT ! Remember the huge-knockers on Miss DeFrancisco ? There was another second grade lay teacher who lasted a year with frosted hair who was an absolute angel. There was another one who years later I actually got to pound like a two dollar steak who turned out to be a true psycho AND the first real nympho I met ! Of course Mass no less than 6 times a week or we were going straight to hell...Then confessions weekly where one priest could be heard snoring throughout the church as he "heard" 2nd graders talk about "impure thoughts" over and over and over again. Then there was a kid, "Greg" who brought in filthy, x-rated comic books depicting Popeye and Little Abner banging their respective "goil friends" ! Greg would start his text books on fire in class as I recall...ahhh, the good old days of solid Catholic upbringing...
Holy Trinity Terrors

New York, NY

#3 Jan 30, 2010
Oh Yeah, the good old days. I remember having my head punched against the chalkboard by Sister Olympia for doing my math wrong. Some of those nuns were something, do you remeber Sister Gertrude, she must have been 100 years old. All she did was sleep at her desk. AHHH, the memories!
torture

Saranac Lake, NY

#4 Jan 30, 2010
sister olympia was a head case. she used to hit your knuckles with the pointer stick. remember the spanking machine in the principals office.how about sister buzliana or something like that.how about father soldeski sleeping in the confession box all the time. you would have to wake him up to get your penance.
Holy Pictures

AOL

#5 Jan 30, 2010
how about all the lines at the confessionals for Sadowski & Gleba and NO ONE wanted to be in Msgr's line? lol

Remember how Mnsgr would come to the grades when report cards come out & hand out freaken HOLY PICTURES if u got a good one?
daddums

Algodones, NM

#6 Feb 1, 2010
Sister Olympias' theme song ? "GETTING TO KNOW YOU", from a broadway musical. How many of our little Polish girl-classmates who were cute back then have since turned into huge "2-ton Stellas" ?
There was a study recently which indicated that church incense does have psycho-active properties. In other words, you catch a little buzz. Let's see - Mass 6 times a week...how many highs can elementary school kids withstand until they move up from that gateway drug, INCENSE ???
Barbara

AOL

#7 Feb 1, 2010
I started HTS in 5th grade. I remember being in 5A.
60s veteran

Pearl River, NY

#8 Feb 2, 2010
Paul Pollack wrote:
Who remembers the nuns? the kids? Msgr Jankiewicz?
Sr Olympia? The "dungeon"? Polish language lessons at the convent?
Srs. Ernestine, Baziliana, Adrean, Ms. Dobrinski, Casilda, Gertrude, Doliretta, Angelica, Francis Assisi...and Mother Superior ???
sbktex

Mckinney, TX

#9 Feb 2, 2010
Love your metaphors ("like a two dollar steak"), but your watch the vague adjectives (what exactly is a "true" psycho). Fact or brew on the $2 steak-er? and BTW, why the duck are you bringing THAT UP? Fact would require at least initials. And while you're at, a little more on frosted flakes... she musta been around DeFrancisco's time, and I missed them both.
Daddums wrote:
Why the F**K are you bringing this up ? I have been in therapy for years trying forget and undo the damages incurred on my innocent inner-child !!!
I do recall seeing Sister Angelica turn orange and green one day from our antics and she disappeared for months into the looney bin, "on vacation" - our greatest triumph ! There were the few initial "civilian" lay teachers who came in and were HOT ! Remember the huge-knockers on Miss DeFrancisco ? There was another second grade lay teacher who lasted a year with frosted hair who was an absolute angel. There was another one who years later I actually got to pound like a two dollar steak who turned out to be a true psycho AND the first real nympho I met ! Of course Mass no less than 6 times a week or we were going straight to hell...Then confessions weekly where one priest could be heard snoring throughout the church as he "heard" 2nd graders talk about "impure thoughts" over and over and over again. Then there was a kid, "Greg" who brought in filthy, x-rated comic books depicting Popeye and Little Abner banging their respective "goil friends" ! Greg would start his text books on fire in class as I recall...ahhh, the good old days of solid Catholic upbringing...
One of the gang

AOL

#10 Feb 2, 2010
anybody remember the time Marlene Libich used to come to school with her hair teased & makeup & sister used to tell her to go in the girls room & wash it all off? How funny now. Then, she would come back the next day made up & hair teased!!!!
60s veteran

Pearl River, NY

#11 Feb 3, 2010
One of the gang wrote:
anybody remember the time Marlene Libich used to come to school with her hair teased & makeup & sister used to tell her to go in the girls room & wash it all off? How funny now. Then, she would come back the next day made up & hair teased!!!!
Marlene and Geraldine (P.)...two of the funniest...could always bum a smoke in the later years.
Let's start with the "old school" tear it down, move to the basement of the church, where the BSA scouts, altar boys and St. Michael's Lancers shared space! It was scary to get to those bathrooms!
Was that "the dungeon"?
Grade 8A

AOL

#13 Feb 3, 2010
Dungeon was the convent. If u were bad, the nuns made u come to the convent after school & clean there. Remember Theresa Wojciehowski? She was another wild one.
hooba

Saranac Lake, NY

#14 Feb 4, 2010
Grade 8A wrote:
Dungeon was the convent. If u were bad, the nuns made u come to the convent after school & clean there. Remember Theresa Wojciehowski? She was another wild one.
remember the flying nun. who was that wacky nun that was into the music.she would have the folk mass with the guitars in church?what was her name?
Oh the memories

New York, NY

#15 Feb 4, 2010
Sister Bernard, I believe was the "singing" nun who played the guitar and made us all sing those hokey folk songs. Her partner in crime was Sister Raphael, who wasn't at HTS very long. They were both much younger than the rest of the nuns. We thought they were really "hip" and "cool"...
60s veteran

Pearl River, NY

#16 Feb 4, 2010
Grade 8A wrote:
Dungeon was the convent. If u were bad, the nuns made u come to the convent after school & clean there. Remember Theresa Wojciehowski? She was another wild one.
How about her brother Bernie? Wow!
whitesboro st

AOL

#17 Feb 4, 2010
I thought her brother Johnny was the hot one!
Daddums

Algodones, NM

#18 Mar 15, 2010
When we were kids, we would ride bikes through the convent and school property on weekends. It was always oddly thrilling to see the nuns' laundered undergarments hanging outside drying on the lines. We (I should really say "I") always tried to figure which white cotton panties belonged to which "hawk"...YUM !!!
UBD

New Hartford, NY

#19 Jun 23, 2010
Oh the memories wrote:
Sister Bernard, I believe was the "singing" nun who played the guitar and made us all sing those hokey folk songs. Her partner in crime was Sister Raphael, who wasn't at HTS very long. They were both much younger than the rest of the nuns. We thought they were really "hip" and "cool"...
Here's the rub on this precious school that I was forced to go to, and I think most would agree with me. You went to school in fear everyday if you were a boy. The girls never got hit but the boys did on a daily basis. I personally despised Sister Bernard as she absolutely hated me and never gave me a break. I was 6'2 and got pounded and withstood verbal abuse constantly, but I never lashed back because you didn't do that sort of thing back then but I should have because what they all did at that school was wrong, very wrong.
I don't know where Sister Bernard is these days but I do wish her well in spite of my feelings towards her. It just wasn't right for those nuns to give kids the abuse that they did back then. Need examples, I have plenty. Sister Sophronia had a bamboo rod where you stuck your hand out and she would slash it on the palm of your hand. Basiliana would slap you right across your face. One of my friends got it from her and she left 4 red finger marks on his cheek. Olympia would smash your head against the blackboard, Bernard would just pound you on your back over and over. Casilda locked one of my friends in her coat closet, forgot about him and left him in there most of the day. When she opened the door my friends eyes were all red from crying so much all day. I kid you not with this stuff.
Basiliana would guard the trash cans to make sure you didn't throw out your lunch food because the people in Poland were starving. My friend thought he was smart and put his rigatonis in his milk container, got caught and was forced to open up the container and finish his meal. I'm sure that was good, milk mixed with rigatonis, yum. How about the board of education in the principals office. I got smacked with that one time where I swear she started swinging like a Tiger Woods backswing and smacked me. The one with the built in holes in them hurt more because it released the pressure. The key was to squeeze in when you got hit but when you released the squeeze the pain came. I didn't have Mrs. Merchant or Sister Gertrude but I heard they were pips also.
Also the damn stupid pollock parents would always agree with the nuns so the situation was hopeless. If anything like this happened today there would be plenty of lawsuits and the nuns would not have been allowed to teach anymore. It was bad in the 70's and I unfortunately really have no good memories about the school that i went to for 9 years.
Far Off Base

Algodones, NM

#20 Jun 24, 2010
Ahhh, quit yer whinin'- it all built "character" for some of us, you little wimp. Grow a pair, dump yer Prozac and get a job. At least when you left HTS you could read - think of those dumb "public schoolers" who were not only going straight to Hell, but wouldn't be able to read the signs once they got there ! Say 10 Hail Marys, nimrod.
Beanz

Stony Brook, NY

#21 Jun 24, 2010
I am LMAO here!!! These posts are a riot!!
I didnt go to HTS but I went to St. Anthony's. The nuns were psychos there too!
I remember being in the 4th grade when fishnet stockings were the new fad.... I wore them with my uniform one day..... lmao!!!! I thought the Sister Mathias was going to have a stroke!!!
We also went to mass at least 6 times a week and were told that there was a camera hidden on the altar so that they could see who was misbehaving during mass....we used to be scared shitless!!!!
Remember the "cricket" clicker that the nuns used so that everyone would kneel at the same time??
lol!!!!!
OMG this stuff needs to be put in a book.....it would be a best seller!!!!!
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRUMP looked so stupid. 3 min p morphy 9
Carbone was sold 9 min Escobar 78
Whitesboro football 1 hr Stones 5
Cuomo: Expect Nano Delays 1 hr aurelio bianco 34
who is the best hairstylist 1 hr Phyl 2
im 1 hr i want to no 2
bi curious (Feb '13) 2 hr hmmm 3
Local "celebrities" that need to end it (Oct '12) 4 hr aurelio bianco 89
Nano Uodate 5 hr aurelio bianco 113
Ranking Utica Prostitutes 5 hr I heard the same ... 459
Calling out Joleen Ferris (Oct '08) 13 hr Stupid Mommy 93

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages