Neighbors fear pier would limit access

Neighbors fear pier would limit access

There are 9 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 22, 2008, titled Neighbors fear pier would limit access. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

The Virginia Marine Resources Commission will consider an application tonight from Urbanna Harbour Yacht Club Association, which hopes to replace its existing open-pile piers and 129 boat slips with a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

wythe cynic

Newport News, VA

#1 Apr 22, 2008
Seems to me the big fuss a few months ago was how nobody has exclusive rights when it comes to the water. Now we are to believe that a yacht club can block the waterfront in front of neighboring properties?
Gloucester Resident

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Apr 22, 2008
The Club purchased the water rights when they purchased the property, the home owners did not! in their deed it says water access to property, PERIOD! that means if they can put one toe in the water thats all that is required for water access! you can't have it all people! write all your letters, but you have already lost!
wythe cynic

Newport News, VA

#3 Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if the residents of the heighborhood figured when they bought that this was the kind of neighborhood that would always remain friendly, and not be invaded by a bunch of "too rich for their own good snobs" that would cut off water (access) like some pirate. This sounds almost like the stuff of Hollyswood, not the genteel south, or have we totally given up on that notion too?
Blame Game

Montgomery, AL

#4 Apr 22, 2008
I love it when something like this happens and people respond like wythe cynic...its a great example of why today's society is so messed up...so because these marina owners took the time to read and understand their deed, they are "a bunch of too rich for their own good snobs". But in reality, it's the adjacent landowners that are illiterate morons......What happened to people being responsible for their own actions? Do we not work off of those principles anymore?
Homeowner and Dock Owner

Richmond, VA

#5 Apr 23, 2008
I think people are letting their emotions run away with them. Urbanna Harbour is basically a middle class neighborhood and the major universal complaint is that there has been little transparency and a lack of communication betwee the dock board and the dock owners as well as the home owners. There is a web page for the yacht club, but last week nothing referred to the application on the web site. Better communication would solve a lot of the hard feelings.
zoom

Cambridge, MA

#6 Apr 23, 2008
Homeowner and Dock Owner.....good luck with that!

We sold our slip after our first UHYC HOA meeting where we learned that they did not know how to conduct a meeting. Robert's Rules of Order meant nothing.
wythe cynic

Newport News, VA

#7 Apr 24, 2008
Blame Game wrote:
I love it when something like this happens and people respond like wythe cynic...its a great example of why today's society is so messed up...so because these marina owners took the time to read and understand their deed, they are "a bunch of too rich for their own good snobs". But in reality, it's the adjacent landowners that are illiterate morons......What happened to people being responsible for their own actions? Do we not work off of those principles anymore?
I'm not disputing the facts at all. And I only put it outthat way to make the point that part of what makes our society so messed up is the lack of neighbors willing to know each other and look for soutions with perhaps a bit of comprimise and civility rather than "I have the law on my side, so screw you". The Facts of the case do support the yacht club, no arguing that. I just wonder why it is so important for them to cut off the access to the rest of the neighborhood.
The truth that is laid bare here is that you have a neighborhood with no neighbors... sad
Hampton Waterman

Hampton, VA

#8 May 13, 2008
If I bring me toothless wife (shes also my cousin and my sister, heh heh heh I know I'm a pimp) shes toothless cause that damn VMRC be taxing and ticketing my ass into the ground, and I cant take her to dentis or get her them false teeth. If i bring her to a commission meeting, will old Steve Bowman and Jack Travelstead have pity on my and give me a nice big block of govment cheese to munch on like all them darkies be getting?

I swere i'll be helpin build dat der peer if youall can give me toothless wife some teeth. I be hatin having to chew her food for her then spit it into her mouth like I am smowballing with her or something!

Since: Apr 08

Warsaw, VA

#9 May 23, 2008
Blame Game wrote:
I love it when something like this happens and people respond like wythe cynic...its a great example of why today's society is so messed up...so because these marina owners took the time to read and understand their deed, they are "a bunch of too rich for their own good snobs". But in reality, it's the adjacent landowners that are illiterate morons......What happened to people being responsible for their own actions? Do we not work off of those
principles anymore?
I counldn't agree with you more!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urbanna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Middlesex County Supervisor Pete Mansfield (Nov '17) Jan '18 Silly Billy 3
News Filling faces five felony embezzlement charges (Apr '11) Jan '18 Silly Billy 28
News Middlesex sweep nets drugs, suspects (Oct '06) Jan '18 needtoknow 18
News Fred & Bettie Lee Gaskins named 2010 Oyster Fes... (Oct '10) Oct '17 exposed 2
exposed ..fema camps (Oct '17) Oct '17 exposed 2
exposed..911 PASSENGERS (Oct '17) Oct '17 exposed 3
conrad bareford a sell out (Sep '17) Sep '17 i told u so 1

Urbanna Jobs

Personal Finance

Urbanna Mortgages