Fiery I-35/80 Accident Injures Three

Fiery I-35/80 Accident Injures Three

There are 14 comments on the WHOtv story from Jul 15, 2010, titled Fiery I-35/80 Accident Injures Three. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Three people were injured in an accident on Interstate 35-80 near Second Avenue Wednesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

Bob

Des Moines, IA

#1 Jul 15, 2010
i'm surprised there arent more accidents on that treacherous onramp
so sad

Clinton, IA

#2 Jul 15, 2010
Prayers to the families of all involved. I hope the young driver is issued a citation for improper merging, you do not jet from the on ramp to the center lane like that especially at that on ramp. I as a parent would not have a problem with my children not driving until they are 18 an more mature.
BJW

Lancaster, WI

#3 Jul 15, 2010
I'm trying to find out information about accidents on I-80 near Des Moines this past weekend due to tire blowouts.
I heard several vehicles had tires blown out either to heat or something that was places on the highway....
Thank you
50315gal

Kanawha, IA

#4 Jul 15, 2010
A simi truck and trailer cannot stop on a dime. they are much larger than you and much heavier. A fully loaded truck and trailer usually weigh in at 78 thousand pounds. the shear forse of the truck hitting a car with a regular speed limit will tear the car to peices. They are not slow moving, they are moving at the same rate you are. If they are on the road and you are moving onto the road, give them a wide path, if you try to beat them you will loose.
Elvis

Theodore, AL

#5 Jul 15, 2010
I use that exit everyday and I think it is fine the way it is. It has plenty of road to speed up to the speed limit unlike other on ramps. People need to pay attention to the yield sign when getting onto I-80.
Dirt_dog30

Des Moines, IA

#6 Jul 15, 2010
All on and off ramps are treacherous just due to the nature of the people driving, either slowing down to early to get off of the interstate or not speeding up in order to merge with traffic that is already on the interstate. I think the worse ramp is the one over at Altoona getting off of the interstate going down to Hubbell. I am surprised that there aren't more accidents there.
Local Citizen

Dubuque, IA

#7 Jul 15, 2010
I was there yesterday and I just want to say Thank You to all the people who helped to pull out the drivers of the vehicles. You all restored a little of my faith in the human race.
You all acted quickly and had a great amount of courage to stop without reguard to where you were headed and did what you could to help! I am sure that Jean and Jamie are very thankful!
THANK YOU Jodi, Doug, Sean, and all the others that I can't remember your names!!!
I wish the best to the people injured and you will be in my thoughts and prayers!!
better driver

Cloquet, MN

#8 Jul 15, 2010
Doesn't drivers ed teach about two lane slides? I feel bad for everyone involved!
OTR Driver

La Plata, MO

#9 Jul 15, 2010
I see a lot of this kind of stuff everyday while I am on the road. It's not just the young drivers either. But, I really do have to wonder what these young folks are being taught in drivers ed these days? Most people I encounter have very little respect for my big rig. There's a lot of the "Billy Big-Riggers" and "Cowboy's" out there to blame for that. If everybody would just slow down a little, and treat others like they want to be treated..........
Philly

Kendallville, IN

#10 Jul 15, 2010
When are people going to realize that the cars/trucks have the right away and that anyone coming onto the interstate have a YIELD sign that indicates that that person has to wait till he has a chance.

I was forced to STOP on the interstate in Neb. because a car coming off the ramp cut me off and I had a truck beside me.

I wish the News people would do a piece on reminding people of those things. Yield means precede with caution and STOP means stop which nobody knows about either.
Carroll Graduate

Des Moines, IA

#11 Jul 16, 2010
My heart and prayers go out to Jamie! She is a great woman, and I hope for a speedy recovery! You and your family will be in our hearts!
Carroll Graduate

Des Moines, IA

#12 Jul 16, 2010
The very brave citizen that pulled Jamie out is an amazing man and deserves all the credit in the world! Jamie's family is very lucky to have someone like you! You deserve a metal for your amazing courage!
ankcitz

Columbus, GA

#13 Jul 18, 2010
Elvis wrote:
I use that exit everyday and I think it is fine the way it is. It has plenty of road to speed up to the speed limit unlike other on ramps. People need to pay attention to the yield sign when getting onto I-80.
No Elvis, you are wrong. That entrance to the I-80 is horrible! The on-ramp is very short and squared off. No warning that it stops, no angle or sign to merge. If you continue to go straight, you will drive into a guard rail. That entrance is very old and treacherous. I drove it everyday for years- feared it each day..mostly because right lane had no view to the on-ramp and how short it was leading to interstate.
I will add, drivers ed training needs as much interstate driving as possible... we all recall the important "timing" issue when learning to drive. Obviously this accident was due to inexperienced driver and poor on-ramp design.
ankcitz

Columbus, GA

#14 Jul 18, 2010
Bob wrote:
i'm surprised there arent more accidents on that treacherous onramp
Exactly... read my comment to Elvis below.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urbandale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) May '16 Disappointed in 5... 186
News Ankeny to tackle teen drinking (Oct '06) Mar '16 Concerned citizen 8
News After Caucus-Goer Advocates Rubio's 'Electabili... Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 1
News Ten Days in Iowa: Moving Moments, Awkward Encou... Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 4
News Ted Cruz Reserves Venue for One-on-One Debate W... Jan '16 Axelrod Jared Dem... 3
News As Trump rises, Clinton preaches love and kindness (Dec '15) Dec '15 Raydot 5
News Jim Webb joins 2016 presidential race (Jul '15) Jul '15 Novus Ordo Seclorum 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Urbandale Mortgages