isabelleferrero4 5505

United States

#1 Jun 30, 2013
could someone explain why Walmart is bad for local economy? I was told to watch the Walmart documentary to learn about it
I heart WalMart

Milford, MI

#2 Jul 1, 2013
isabelleferrero45505 wrote:
could someone explain why Walmart is bad for local economy? I was told to watch the Walmart documentary to learn about it
its good for the economy when people spend money
Dianne

Dublin, OH

#3 Jul 2, 2013
Lets see.....low paying jobs, keeping the majority of their staff at part-time status so as to avoid providing benefits, squeezing out almost all American manufacturers by pitting them against cheaply made Chinese products. Also, weren't they sued for sexual discrimination, locking employees inside the stores, and not paying overtime?
Both sides

Canton, OH

#4 Jul 3, 2013
They actually fire their employees for working off the clock. They do pay overtime if you work over 40 hours and believe it or not they do provide benefits to part time employees. There are alot of haters that believe that they are sexest and only promote men which is untrue. They help out the community with grants and donations. And they don't lock their employees in the store if the store is open 24 hrs. And if its a store in a bad community then I could see why they would lock their employes in to keep them safe. Example Moraine Ohio or what they call Kettering Walmart.
Dianne

Dublin, OH

#5 Jul 5, 2013
Both sides wrote:
They actually fire their employees for working off the clock. They do pay overtime if you work over 40 hours and believe it or not they do provide benefits to part time employees. There are alot of haters that believe that they are sexest and only promote men which is untrue. They help out the community with grants and donations. And they don't lock their employees in the store if the store is open 24 hrs. And if its a store in a bad community then I could see why they would lock their employes in to keep them safe. Example Moraine Ohio or what they call Kettering Walmart.
Lawsuits aren't brought in front of a judge without basis, especially when going up against a large company. Maybe you are getting paid overtime in Springfield, but others were not. And you don't sue someone for locking you inside a store because the neighborhood isn't "safe", you sue because they WILL NOT let you leave.

“Somebody has to tell the truth”

Since: Mar 10

Minooka, IL

#6 Jul 10, 2013
I know some issues can arise when you're dealing with predominantly rural areas with no proximal urban centers to speak of. I used to live in Eastern Kentucky, which if you may not be familiar, is characterized by such. While Wal-Mart does serve most of everyone's essential needs, I think it could be seen somewhat problematic because it stymies diversification of small-business. They commonly match the locals' prices or beat them. In areas like Springfield, this impact may not be as severe, or at least not as noticeable. But, when you're in sparsely populated areas with limited capacity for small-business development, I believe the effect of "monopolization" is more pronounced. This of course, is not even considering how they treat their employees. Never worked there but speaking from the basis of anecdotes I've recounted from friends who did....I have nothing good to report unfortunately.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urbana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr NRA_RWNJ 31,513
Aaron kastein living in northridge Clark county... Tue Christian 1
Mexican gangs now infiltrating Kentucky (Dec '08) Sep 24 john doe 48
Fowler pleads guilty to fatal hit-skip accident Sep 24 Lauralee 3
say no to lee anns! (Apr '11) Sep 23 tryagain23 4
Ed Weller murder new years eve 1991 Sep 22 graffixx71 1
Why would anyone want to live in Springfield, Ohio (Jul '07) Sep 22 Homeboy 195
Urbana Dating
Find my Match

Urbana Jobs

Urbana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Urbana News, Events & Info