Chelle Cordero

Manhasset, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2007

I spent one summer attending Camp Oneg Day Camp but have no idea where it was. I can't remember the exact year I attended either (maybe 1962 or 63?), I seem to remember traveling over a Hudson River Bridge from the Bronx.

Anyone know where this camp used to be?
anonymous

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

prehaps you mean6903Eagle Day Camp - wher the home Depot is in Nanuet NY
Chelle Cordero

Manhasset, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

The summer I attended, the name of the camp was definitely Oneg Day Camp. It was a co-ed camp with a strong Jewish theme - things like swimming girls/boys ONLY (never mixed), lunch was Kosher, served there and always begun with a prayer... reform, conservative & strict conservative attended (don't know about orthodox); there might also have been a few non-Jews so it wasn't exclusive just based on Jewish precepts.

All I remember is traveling through Westchester (from the Bronx) and over a bridge (Tappan Zee?). I don't know how many years the camp existed only that one of my good friends said she went there for a few years.
Mitch Schonfeld

Westwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

You are correct, Oneg Day Camp was across the Tappan Zee Bridge in Spring Valley, NY off Rte. 59. I was a camper there from 67 to 69 then worked as a counselor in 70 and 71. The camp burned down in the winter of 71 (under suspicious circumstances) and eventually the land was sold to be developed into private homes. I have been trying to find Marty Goldberg who worked there with me in those years, so I googled Oneg Day Camp to see what I might find, and found your post. It was the Jewish atmosphere that you described, and there were some orthodox campers who went to Yeshiva, but most were like my friends and me, kids who lived in the Bronx, went to Hebrew school on Sundays and at 3:30 after public school and we had various levels of observance. Most of the shuls in the Bronx in those days were orthodox, and had huge Hebrew Schools. How old were you when you attended? ANy chance you knew Marty Goldberg? I also heard about a guy Mendy Sontag, who was the head counselor there in the early to mid-60's but he had retired by the time I arrived, but he came back for a vist one day so I met him.
Chelle Cordero wrote:
The summer I attended, the name of the camp was definitely Oneg Day Camp. It was a co-ed camp with a strong Jewish theme - things like swimming girls/boys ONLY (never mixed), lunch was Kosher, served there and always begun with a prayer... reform, conservative & strict conservative attended (don't know about orthodox); there might also have been a few non-Jews so it wasn't exclusive just based on Jewish precepts.
All I remember is traveling through Westchester (from the Bronx) and over a bridge (Tappan Zee?). I don't know how many years the camp existed only that one of my good friends said she went there for a few years.
Marlee Fuhrmann

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2008

I don't know when you went to Oneg, but I have two vintage photographs from 1952 and 1951 of the girls. They are on ebay if you'd like to check them out. Search for vintage oneg photograph and it should come up.
Mitch Schonfeld wrote:
You are correct, Oneg Day Camp was across the Tappan Zee Bridge in Spring Valley, NY off Rte. 59. I was a camper there from 67 to 69 then worked as a counselor in 70 and 71. The camp burned down in the winter of 71 (under suspicious circumstances) and eventually the land was sold to be developed into private homes. I have been trying to find Marty Goldberg who worked there with me in those years, so I googled Oneg Day Camp to see what I might find, and found your post. It was the Jewish atmosphere that you described, and there were some orthodox campers who went to Yeshiva, but most were like my friends and me, kids who lived in the Bronx, went to Hebrew school on Sundays and at 3:30 after public school and we had various levels of observance. Most of the shuls in the Bronx in those days were orthodox, and had huge Hebrew Schools. How old were you when you attended? ANy chance you knew Marty Goldberg? I also heard about a guy Mendy Sontag, who was the head counselor there in the early to mid-60's but he had retired by the time I arrived, but he came back for a vist one day so I met him.
<quoted text>
Susan Wolff

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

I attended Camp Oneg one year also - maybe somewhere between 1963-1965. The trip over the Tappan Zee each day was memorable. We sang Modeh Ani every morning. I don't remember anyone except the name Mendy. I was young so I was not absorbing names - just having fun. Because of my fond memories, I googled the camp in search of a good Jewish camp for my daughter.
Marsha

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

My sister and I went to the camp for about 3 years. It was in Spring Valley over the Tapaan Zee Bridge. It was a great camp with great counselors. We went to the camp from 1963-1966. Mendy was the head counselor when we went to camp. We had color war at the end of camp. It definitely was a Jewish Orthodox camp. We had morning prayers, lunch time and end of day. Was a great camp and I have very fond memories of the camp.
APRIL RADIN

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

i also went to oneg...lived in the bronx...wonderful memories
Maurice

Larchmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2010

I went camp Oneg in 69 and 70 , I lived in the south Bronx
Janet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Maurice wrote:
I went camp Oneg in 69 and 70 , I lived in the south Bronx
Was thinking of camp oneg and found this site. I to from the bronx crossing the bridge and had great memories. Did they have friday night services and had to wear all white? does anyone remember color war? green team and gold team.
Susan

Woodside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

I just googled something and I noticed something about Spring Valley and that made me remember camp Oneg and I googled it and here I am.
I was there sometime in the 60s also. I lived on Sheridan Avenue in the Bronx and I remember dovening when we got there and washing our hands in the ritual way before meals. I remember a large pool (at least it seemed large to my little self) and a big white house up on a hill where we changed into our bathing suits and the cafeteria was situated down the hill past the pool. When I got older I went to Bronx House Emanuel sleep away camps. The internet is really something, we couldn't imagine it then, but this is the first time I've thought about the camp or heard anyone speak of it.
Shrimpshot

Woodside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2012

Chelle Cordero wrote:
I spent one summer attending Camp Oneg Day Camp but have no idea where it was. I can't remember the exact year I attended either (maybe 1962 or 63?), I seem to remember traveling over a Hudson River Bridge from the Bronx.
Anyone know where this camp used to be?
I went to Oneg Day Camp for years. It was in Spring Valley, New York.
Shrimpshot

Woodside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2012

Shrimpshot wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to Oneg Day Camp for years. It was in Spring Valley, New York.
I remember Mendy, and color war, and the arts and crafts department as well. I also went to Bronx House Emanuel sleep away camp, and Surprise Lake Camp.
Rhona

New Rochelle, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

I clearly remember the trip across the Tappan Zee Bridge! I thought the camp was really far away, though it couldn't have been much more than 45 mins. I lived in the Pelham Pkwy-Allerton section of the Bronx, and attended during the summers of 1965 and 1966, when I was 6 and 7. I remember the raucous bus trip, counselors singing cool rock songs and wearing Patty-Duke-like fashions, Mendy the head counselor who was beloved, the lunchroom that seemed cavernous, learning to swim, blue ices at the end of the day, and field day and color war, which were the only experiences I didn't really like because of the tense, competitive atmosphere on those days. After my great experience at Oneg, I went to sleepaway camp for seven summers. As I recall, many of the children from my building on Olinville Avenue attended Oneg Day Camp. Are any of you out there? Any other Pelham Parkwayers out there?
Donna

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

It was Oneg Day Camp, exit 14 in Spring Valley, New York. I went there for around 6 years. Great camp!
Saul

Woodside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Oneg Day Camp was operated by a small Yeshiva in the Bronx that I attended from 1962 to 1966. In early spring on Sundays, the Rabbi would drive us up to the camp to rake leaves and paint to prepare the grounds for the summer. The Rabbi would mow the grass since we were too young to use the gas powered mower.

I would attend camp for only half the summer. It was great! Especially lining up at the kitchen door at the end of the day for an ice cream or a piece of watermelon. Good memories.
Rochelle Levin Geltzer

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

I am looking for a Camp Oneg located around the Fairmount Park area of Philadelphia, Pa. It was a daycamps and I went approx 1956-57. Anyone know where it was exactly?
Buzz

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Hi Rochelle:

A conversation with a new friend last night sparked my interest and I was curious too, and found your post. My sister and I went to Oneg for at least a couple years, I know it was in Philly and NOT New York. I'll check with her, she still lives outside of Phila. and will know more than me. I remember an Uncle Rube who was the swim teacher, and maybe an Uncle Murray who played guitar and all the girls had a crush on him. I'll get back to you if I can dig up any info. We later went to Hunter's Run Day Camp. Good times from a much more innocent time.

Best,
Buzz Coren
Buzz

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Hello again, here's more info about Camp Oneg, Philadelphia. It was at the Jewish Community Center at 63rd and Ludlow across the street from Cobbs Creek Park. It did have an indoor swimming pool. Uncle Rube, the swim instructor was also our driver to the camp, my sister says he always had a half-chewed cigar in his mouth. I just Google mapped 63rd St and Ludlow St and the same building still exists, with a star David clearly visible. Navigating down the length of the building and then panning left the courtyard I clearly remember is still there in plain view from neighborhood kids who I remember pestering us occasionally. Hope that helps!
Leslie

Chester Springs, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

Just an update, the building is in process and about 10% still standing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Upper Nyack Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Upper Nyack People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••