Parents Of Non-Immunized Students Face Criminal Charges

Full story: WUSA Washington, DC

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. -- Prince George's County School officials have announced a last chance for parents to have their children immunized.
Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
GER

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2007

I can understand the basic Imunizations, But when it comes to the Chicken Pox, or other (Optional Imunizations) I have to say , its not for the Government to dictate. I myself only had a few spots with the chicken pox, my sons may or may not have had them, if they did they had only a few spots, we did what most other parents do, find the kid on the block with em and have them all play and hopefully they will get it. Our problem as a technoologically advanced society have forgotten how the human body builds up resistance to them, why do you think you have to get a flu shot each year, the strain changes and now its mutating and we dont have the protection against it. Working in Fire and rescue I have had the Hepivac since I am exposed to that in the field, I have no problem with the kids getting it, but even I do not get Flu Shots. Ok so I would get the flu and be over it in a few days. (There is a difference if the person has a health issue which would benefit the recipient, but for a majority of the Population, its about as sound as Global Warming and the hypothetical Fuel shortage)
Amy

Clayton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2007

GER wrote:
I can understand the basic Imunizations, But when it comes to the Chicken Pox, or other (Optional Imunizations) I have to say , its not for the Government to dictate. I myself only had a few spots with the chicken pox, my sons may or may not have had them, if they did they had only a few spots, we did what most other parents do, find the kid on the block with em and have them all play and hopefully they will get it. Our problem as a technoologically advanced society have forgotten how the human body builds up resistance to them, why do you think you have to get a flu shot each year, the strain changes and now its mutating and we dont have the protection against it. Working in Fire and rescue I have had the Hepivac since I am exposed to that in the field, I have no problem with the kids getting it, but even I do not get Flu Shots. Ok so I would get the flu and be over it in a few days.(There is a difference if the person has a health issue which would benefit the recipient, but for a majority of the Population, its about as sound as Global Warming and the hypothetical Fuel shortage)
The chickenpox Vaccine is REQUIRED to go to school and I think that parents that refuse to have their children immunized are ignorant. Look how many illegal people are in these country and how many diseases that puts our children at risk for contracting.
Pandora

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Children should have shots, especially with all the illegals waltzing across our borders bringing TB and other known diseases that haven't been seen in this country in decades, parents should get it done.
This is a problem facing this country and it's the legal citizens that are paying for it, don't take chances. Be protected!!
Kimster

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

Um...unless you have religious objections, then yes the government needs to step in. Not immunizing your child not only puts your child at risk, but other innocent children as well.

Two months and no compliance??? Lock 'em up and fine them. I along with other parents follow the rules regarding immunizations...why can't they???
mother of two

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

I have no insurance and my child started kindergarten this year and it cost a good chunk of money to get his shots for him to attend school. Why can some people get away with not getting this done? It is necessary and like some put, it puts your children at risk to not immunize them. I think there needs to be a harsh punishment. It pains me to think that if parents will not even immunize these children for school, how many children are not getting any immunizations? There has been ample amount of time to get this done, and if money is an issue they have held clinics for these immunizations so there is no excuse! Get the immunizations and let the children get an education. The one thing that does bother me with the immunizations is that I had to pay more money for the Hepatitis vaccines, and the excuse given was there were so many illegals coming into the country that the doctor I go to is making it mandatory. That kind of ticks me off, it cost me enough as it is and here I have to pay more for something because of the illegal immigrants.
Karen

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

These parents have been given more than enough chances at taxpayers' expense to comply, yet they haven't. If we have these laws on the books, then they need to be enforced. Their children are not to be held responsible, the parents need to step up and be held accountable. These parents are not above the law.
Jada

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

There is absolutely no excuse why your children are not vaccinated. They can cry and say well I can't afford it. The shots are free at your local health department. It is sad that some parents today won't put their kids first and do what has to be done to ensure their safety and health.
Pachacutec

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Kimster wrote:
Um...unless you have religious objections, then yes the government needs to step in. Not immunizing your child not only puts your child at risk, but other innocent children as well.
Two months and no compliance??? Lock 'em up and fine them. I along with other parents follow the rules regarding immunizations...why can't they???
I agree with you; while there MAY be a certain number of these parents who aren't getting their kids the shots because of religious beliefs or because they feel the shots themselves might be harmful, I have to believe that the vast majority who haven't complied are either lazy or have that "the rules apply to everybody but me" attitude.
fed up with the mess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

mother of two wrote:
I have no insurance and my child started kindergarten this year and it cost a good chunk of money to get his shots for him to attend school. Why can some people get away with not getting this done? It is necessary and like some put, it puts your children at risk to not immunize them. I think there needs to be a harsh punishment. It pains me to think that if parents will not even immunize these children for school, how many children are not getting any immunizations? There has been ample amount of time to get this done, and if money is an issue they have held clinics for these immunizations so there is no excuse! Get the immunizations and let the children get an education. The one thing that does bother me with the immunizations is that I had to pay more money for the Hepatitis vaccines, and the excuse given was there were so many illegals coming into the country that the doctor I go to is making it mandatory. That kind of ticks me off, it cost me enough as it is and here I have to pay more for something because of the illegal immigrants.
If you have no insurance then you should try to get medicaid to cover the shots. The health dept. gives the shots for free. Sorry you had to pay so much. At least you did it!!
fed up with the mess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Jada wrote:
There is absolutely no excuse why your children are not vaccinated. They can cry and say well I can't afford it. The shots are free at your local health department. It is sad that some parents today won't put their kids first and do what has to be done to ensure their safety and health.
Thank you...plain and simple!!!
fed up with the mess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

The kids have not been in school for over 2 months....that is crazy and just plain stupid on the parents part. If you want your kids to go to public school they must comply with the rules of attending. If not home school them and then you can do things your way. It is a shame the school has to threaten the parents with taking them to court. It is not that hard. It is not that big of a deal..get the shots and let the kids go to school where they belong!!!
Concerned

Falling Waters, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

Getting shots should not be a governmental issue. If they mandate what shots your child has to have, what's to say they aren't going to mandate every other medical decision? Letm ME decide what shots my child needs, NOT the government. If you've got a religious objection or philosophical objection, then sign the waiver for the state of MD and get your kid back into school.

To the others who say non-vaccinating is ignorant, if the shots work so well, then why worry about your VACCINATED child? Surely they won't get it right? The risk is not to the vaccinated child! That chicken pox shot is only good for about 5-7 years and even then only 70% of the time. Outbreak of chicken pox in the schools? Yep you guessed it, 95% of those kids had the shot. If they're going to get it anyway,(and you're consequentially going to miss a week of work... anyway) why worry with a shot that doesn't last and is only 70% effective? Chicken pox can be deadly in an adult. Rather get it young and get it over with and have LIFETIME immunity than a shot that you have to keep paying for.
Ashley

Hughesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

I fully support the county & the school board. All those kids need to get their shots! This is a serious cause. Some of these illness that this children can be life threating. So why even put your child in the postion. Get the shots and get it over with. If you dont have it your child can't go to school. Easy as that. Those parents are well aware of what their children need shot wise before school. So if they chose not to have their child immunized your fault kids can't go to school. You are only hurting your own childs education!
YOUR FRIEND

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS O.K. YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR KID VACCINATED BUT LET TRY A PAIN FREE NEEDLE OR A LESS SWOLLEN LEGS OR ARMS BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH WE LOVE OUR KIDS WE HATE TO SEE THEM IN PAIN. I KNOW WHAT EVERYBODY IS THINKING ITS WORTH THE PAIN ,BUT PARENTS ARE NOT STRONG LIKE YOU ARE.BUT THIS GO OUT FOR THE PARENT PLEASE GIVE YOUR KIDS THEIR SHOTS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO FACE JAIL TIME.AND I DO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANTS OF SHOTS I JUST WISH IT WAS PAIN FREE FOR THE KIDS SAKE.
Newfool

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

For those who think they should get to choose - there are families that do not immunize for religious reasons, and that is fine, but why should their kid be put at a higher risk, because you don't feel like doing it and have a problem with authority.
Don't you care enough about your own childern to try and prevent these potentially deadly diseases. Chicken Pox becomes more and more dangerous as you grow older.
And for those who think that the vaccines are connected to Autism. Please do your research. The doctor that first started the claim that vaccines are bad for your childern, is now facing criminal charges in the UK for unethical testing, and a list of other charges are related the research and false claims. Never has there been an indication that vaccines cause ADHD, lead paint yes, not the vaccines though.
Ann

Port Orchard, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

You know what. I have a 4 yr old brother and TWO cousins that are autistic from their vaccines. My brother doesnt really talk that much and he screams and has melt downs. He was fine, he could talk and everything till he got his shots. If you ever read up on vaccines you will find that they dont tell you everything. I have seen children that just got their vaccines stop breathing and turn blue. My mom just went to a autistic conference and the doctors there will tell you that they see more and more children have complications from their shots than anything. The goverment doesnt want to tell parents so they wont get worried. If vaccines didnt cause probelms then why is there a fund by the goverment for child that are austic because of their shots. Oh by the way polio still lives they just call it menigitis. MY daughter had it and well we put her on antibiotics and she got better. I looked it up when she got it. Why do you think that austism is growing so rapidly here in the US. Alot of countries have BANNED vaccines cause of all the harm that they do. No matter what people say I look at my brother and I see what it did to him. It breaks my heart to see him not being able to talk really. So dont tell me that they do nothing. Since the doctor that diagnosed him said that it was from his shots and that they are seeing it more and more.
Honest

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

It is not an excuse. These parents should get the children immune. I cant stand when parents say they dont have insurance. There's free insurances called MCHIP. They are just lazy. Soon as something happen to their children, they are going to blame it on the government.
Non-Vaxing Mother of 4

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Honest wrote:
It is not an excuse. These parents should get the children immune. I cant stand when parents say they dont have insurance. There's free insurances called MCHIP. They are just lazy. Soon as something happen to their children, they are going to blame it on the government.
If the vaccines were actually guaranteed to make my child immune to life-threatening diseases, then I would reconsider my stand on them. But there ARE NO GUARANTEES IN LIFE. When I sign that waiver to not vaccinate my children, I am taking full responsibility for their health. That's the way it's supposed to be. You need to take responsibility for your decision to vaccinate, too, no matter what the consequences.
Jada

Stafford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

I seriously can't believe there are people out there that don't vaccinate their children.

The excuse they is b/c the vaccinations don't give me a 100% guarantee that my child won't get sick. Get real people, there is no medicine or vaccination that has a 100% guarantee. This isn't some product you use and if you are not happy you get a full refund. This is your child health. The vaccination simply lowers your child risk to being susceptible to the disease.

I am a firm believer that if your children are not vaccinated keep them out of the school. There are enough germs going around where we parents who actually give a damn about our children don't need non-vaccinated kids adding to the mix.

It's simple if you don't want to vaccinate your children keep them home and home school them. That way they can only infect you and your other children. Follow the rules and regulations the school board sets as far as vaccinations are concerned or lose your right to enroll them in school. Plain and simple!!!
Kristen

Henderson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
The chickenpox Vaccine is REQUIRED to go to school and I think that parents that refuse to have their children immunized are ignorant. Look how many illegal people are in these country and how many diseases that puts our children at risk for contracting.
This is not an issue about "illegal" people. This is an issue about forcing your beliefs upon other people. No one is going to tell me that I have to put something in my child's body that research shows is not only NOT doing the job it's supposed to do, but putting my child at risk for other health problems. I will not put formaldhehyde or disease into my child's system. I will not support something that potentially has aborted fetal tissue present, or has been tested or otherwise come into contact with aborted fetal tissue. Those of us who do the research and choose not to vaccinate are not putting your children at risk - doctors that are treated like Gods and pharmaceutical companies that care more about making money than making sure things are TRULY safe for our bodies are the ones to blame. That, and the "ignorant" people (to borrow from you) that don't find out the truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Upper Marlboro Discussions

Search the Upper Marlboro Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) 15 hr Tim the Bagger 7
Prince George's County Animal Watch Jul 19 mike 1
juvenile delinquent Jul 15 murkinlurking 1
President Obama Jul 10 Jim Bob 1
The Largo bride wore boots Jul 10 The Truth 1
Murder in Upper Marlboro Jail Holding Cell Jun '14 Ging 2
Review: LIL Abners Fresh Seafood And Catering Jun '14 never on time 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Upper Marlboro Jobs

•••