Tornado Volunteer Fire Department

Posted in the Upper Falls Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
iwuzthere

Charleston, WV

#1 Mar 25, 2012
Since Topix deleted an entire topic of this same title with 70 comments, let's try again.

Apparently, the leadership of the Tornado Volunteer Fire Department couldn't take the heat, so they went crying to mommy.
Question

Princeton, WV

#2 Mar 26, 2012
According to Wikipedia, Upper Falls is the largest CDP in the state of West Virginia.

Kanawha County is the most populous county in the state of West Virginia.

The Charleston, West Virginia metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the state of West Virginia.

So, why is the Tornado Volunteer Fire Department always so broke?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Planner

Ivydale, WV

#3 Mar 27, 2012
There are only two fire departments that primarily serve Upper Falls. They are Lakewood Volunteer Fire Department and Tornado Volunteer Fire Department. Neither has been able to secure a single federal grant since the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program was created!

Meanwhile, West Side Volunteer Firefighters is among 235 different fire departments across the state that have received federal grant awards from FEMA since 2001. So, why don't these losing departments do something different?

It may make sense to merge the Lakewood and Tornado fire departments. The stations could continue to operate autonomously. The combined department would only consolidate the functions that make sense.

Members would combine their grant-writing capabilities and capture the kind of funding that a CDP with the characteristics of Upper Falls can now deliver. Instead of operating two tiny fire departments that fracture the ability of each other to get funding, why not become a single Upper Falls Volunteer Fire Department, serving the largest census designated place in the entire state of West Virginia?
Planner

Charleston, WV

#4 Apr 13, 2012
And heck, they need more money to pay for the water they use to wash thier cars and four wheelers. And if they had more money they could get bigger lights and louder sirens for the trucks. They could even get one of those giant screen televisions. Then if there was any left over it could go to helping the station.
In the know

United States

#5 Apr 13, 2012
See Planner you don't have a clue. Lakewood has a new truck funded by the Afg grant, The Tornado Fd has been awarded two Afg grants in the last 4years for equipment. You need to get your facts straight before running that mouth. Hope your not the planner for Upper Falls because you are clueless.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Iwuzthere

Northfork, WV

#6 Apr 17, 2012
In the know wrote:
See Planner you don't have a clue. Lakewood has a new truck funded by the Afg grant, The Tornado Fd has been awarded two Afg grants in the last 4years for equipment. You need to get your facts straight before running that mouth. Hope your not the planner for Upper Falls because you are clueless.
The ONLY substantial grant EITHER fire department has EVER received was Lakewood Volunteer Fire Department's $228,000.00 for Vehicle Acquisition five years ago, on 08/03/2007. The other grants were just for piddling amounts. Tornado has NEVER received either a Vehicle Acquisition or a Modify Facilities grant! That's decidedly NOT a very good track record for either department! Planner may not have done his homework, but his premise is still correct. "In the know," you should call yourself "Stretching the truth."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
yepppp

Hansford, WV

#7 Apr 17, 2012
love it, people just cant handle the truth
Bill

Scott Depot, WV

#8 Apr 22, 2012
Chief Childress wants a bigger facility in the worst way and even has a site selected. But, I don't see it happening, unless the two departments find a way to pool their resources and work together. These two fire stations serve the single largest community in the state! You guys need to get together and take advantage of it! Instead, I predict they'll keep doing the same thing, while expecting a different result. It's just too hard to let go of personal egos and do what's right for everybody. This kind of competitive thinking is why West Virginia's last. In everything. It's precisely the same thing that holds back the Third World. Advanced societies don't function this way. Their organizations cooperate and share the larger pie they get as a result.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Helen

Charleston, WV

#9 Apr 27, 2012
Thye would do good to just get rid of Tornado and Lakewood stations. All they are is a place for some young guys to hang out and chat. I have spoke with many of my neighbors and we all agree not to help fund either one again as we have in the past.
mike

Scott Depot, WV

#10 Apr 27, 2012
they are just a waste of money like all other crap in iincoln county look at our sheriff.
Rose Red

Charleston, WV

#11 Jun 4, 2012
I was told last week that they was closing the Tornado Fire Station in Sept. and will be West Side and Lakewood handling the calls for Tornado. Does anyone know anything about this?
nbn

Oakvale, WV

#12 Jun 4, 2012
they need to get off the dope
ack

Bluefield, WV

#13 Jun 14, 2012
Rose Red wrote:
I was told last week that they was closing the Tornado Fire Station in Sept. and will be West Side and Lakewood handling the calls for Tornado. Does anyone know anything about this?
We can only hope.
FF09

Ardsley, NY

#14 Jun 28, 2012
Mikes super intelligent, Tornado is not in Lincoln county...
ack

Charleston, WV

#15 Jun 30, 2012
FF09 wrote:
Mikes super intelligent, Tornado is not in Lincoln county...
He's more intelligent than you. Tornado isn't anywhere, now.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#16 Jul 4, 2012

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
FFO9

Charleston, WV

#17 Jul 6, 2012
Your just jealous ack because you cant be a REAL Fireman. So you became one of the inbread vols.
tornado resident

Saint Albans, WV

#18 Aug 11, 2012
i think tornado vfd should join westside and become a sub station for westside. ive seen personally westside come in tornados area and have to take over the fire scene and put the fire out casue tornado didnt know what to do. at westside its more strict to run calls and take roles in the fire service. they make sure their guys are well trained and with the leadership that westside has, they could convert tornado into a very good fire dept if they took it over. i think this should happen very soon so us (the residents) of tornado can finally feel safer

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hope

Ardsley, NY

#19 Aug 11, 2012
West side is nothing but a power trip. I've personally been on scene with that bunch, half can't even speak correctly. There is a reason why SA set up a mutual aid agreement with Lakewood and not Westside. Making a station a sub station would be pointless? Still have the same area to cover with the same guys. Tornado holds it's own.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
jack

Charleston, WV

#20 Aug 11, 2012
So Helen when your house is burning down and all your stuff inside it, who will come put that fire out? Sure isn't gonna be the city. Westside is a good department yes, but they very rarely beat Lakewood or Tornado to thier respected areas. Those departments are just as important as SA. When in reality runs less "fires" then Westside and more than likely tornado as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Upper Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sick of Hallburn 46 min pamM 7
The Halburn Files 47 min michelle 11
brandy 56 min meh 4
must be mad huh 2 hr Noesy Rosy 11
blue house on B street (Oct '16) 3 hr Tiny 9
Mike Hager the head rat 3 hr lmfao 2
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Tue TheTruthAlways2 4,168

Upper Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance