Pros and Cons of Carrying A Concealed...

Pros and Cons of Carrying A Concealed Weapon

Posted in the Uplands Park Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned

Columbia, MO

#1 Dec 8, 2010
What are some pros and CONS, of carrying a concealed weapon..?
I'm doing a prject or rather a debate for school, and I need to know, thank you :)
Marcus Welby

United States

#2 Dec 8, 2010
Concerned wrote:
What are some pros and CONS, of carrying a concealed weapon..?
I'm doing a prject or rather a debate for school, and I need to know, thank you :)
In addition to getting feedback on this site, I would strongly suggest you do a google search on the NRA as well as some of the anti-gun groups. I'm sure you will quickly get all the info you need.
way too practical

AOL

#3 Dec 9, 2010
Marcus Welby wrote:
<quoted text>
In addition to getting feedback on this site, I would strongly suggest you do a google search on the NRA as well as some of the anti-gun groups. I'm sure you will quickly get all the info you need.
What, the experts that respond on these TOPIXs blogs, are of the highest caliber (pun inteneded)
helo

United States

#4 Dec 11, 2010
This is for concerned. I have had a ccw for years
now. And I belong to the NRA. I also teach gun safety. Just remember, the gun itself is not to be
feared it's the person behind it. Pros and cons is
this. It gives you the right to protect you and
your family, so for example, you are in your house
and someone is going to do harm, you have a right
to protect yourself. You can have in your car a
weapon to protect if need be. THEN AND ONLY THEN!
I would recommend to anyone who is thinking about
getting a ccw, take a gun safety course and become
fimiliar with the weapon first. The gun safety teaches you just that, accw course teaches you the
law and the do's and dont's of what you have the
right to do. These courses are fun and educatinal.

Since: Aug 11

Champa, India

#5 Aug 17, 2011
Hello dear
MTECH COMPUTER
fed up

Florissant, MO

#7 Aug 17, 2011
i agree and dont agree with ccw,i have shot hand guns and rifles for 30 or so years,its a great sport.people lined up to get there ccw and thats kind of scarr'y ,they should make every one of them qualify with the gun they will be carrying for the ccw only, before they are issued the ccw. and tested every year after. our police force has to why not the public.I WAS TAUGHT TO SHOOT AT A INDOOR RANGE FROM A RETIRED POLICE ARMOR,ITS NOT SOMTHING PEOPLE ARE JUST GOOD AT,IT TAKE A LOT OF PRACTICE TO BECOME QUALIFYED.
my thoughts

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Aug 18, 2011
i took the ccw course. after that i decided not to apply. once i leard the laws and realized i didnt need a ccw to protect my property.home and car i didnt think id need one.. i would like to know what the laws are in florissant as far as open carry.
Helo

United States

#9 Aug 19, 2011
my thoughts wrote:
i took the ccw course. after that i decided not to apply. once i leard the laws and realized i didnt need a ccw to protect my property.home and car i didnt think id need one.. i would like to know what the laws are in florissant as far as open carry.
There is no open carry in the State of Mo. And Illinois does not honor the Right To Carry at all. You should have followed through and got your permit, you are not always in your house, you have to walk from your car to get to your destination, your car could break down in a desolate area, anything could happen. I read a sign years ago that I quote all of the time, you probably heard it said before: It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. GET YOUR PERMIT, it is your legally right! 2nd Amendment of the Constitution.
Helo

United States

#10 Aug 19, 2011
fed up wrote:
i agree and dont agree with ccw,i have shot hand guns and rifles for 30 or so years,its a great sport.people lined up to get there ccw and thats kind of scarr'y ,they should make every one of them qualify with the gun they will be carrying for the ccw only, before they are issued the ccw. and tested every year after. our police force has to why not the public.I WAS TAUGHT TO SHOOT AT A INDOOR RANGE FROM A RETIRED POLICE ARMOR,ITS NOT SOMTHING PEOPLE ARE JUST GOOD AT,IT TAKE A LOT OF PRACTICE TO BECOME QUALIFYED.
I agree with your statement. THERE SHOULD be a test, before they even get thier permit. And yes it is scary to see who is lined up. I have had my C.C.W. for several years now and I also belong to the NRA. There course is also too short, 8 hours is not long enough. Guns themselves handled properly for the most part are not dangerous, it could lay there for days and hurt nobody, but when a person picks it up, then it becomes dangerous, like I always say, it is not the weapon, it's the person standing behind it. And know, I DO NOT HUNT!
Helo

United States

#11 Aug 19, 2011
my thoughts wrote:
If you would like to know more about the laws, such as what states honors the ccw, what state has an open carry policy and so on, contact the NRA, they can give you a wealth of information.
no increase in violence

Carrollton, TX

#12 Aug 19, 2011
since CC has came onto the scene, it doesn't appear that there has been any increase in shooting incidents or accident incidents.
Helo

United States

#13 Aug 19, 2011
no increase in violence wrote:
since CC has came onto the scene, it doesn't appear that there has been any increase in shooting incidents or accident incidents.
You are right, in fact you don't hear about so many car jackings anymore. If human preditors knew a person had protection on them, the preditor would have second thoughts.
One Issue

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Aug 19, 2011
Looking at guns as "the solution" to any problem can be a problem in itself.

A criminal may look at the gun as a solution to his economic problem or as the power needed to enforce his will on others.

The honest gun owner may see the gun as a way to stop those who would use their power against him in an unfair, dangerous or unlawful way.

Both views perpetuate the the proliferation of guns.
Obviously the more guns about and in hands of people the more chances there are of gun violence.

Yes the final determination of how a gun is used is in the hands of the person holding it.

But the increased number of guns just raises the level of danger for all and of course there will always be innocent bystanders who get caught in the line of fire.

I own guns. I have been trained. I have been practicing my skills for over 50 years and am an excellent marksman with several types of firearms.

But I see the need for regulation and controls to help insure guns are used properly and wisely and to increase the safety of all citizens.

Too few guns and we don't have enough for the people who need them and will use them well.
Too many guns and too loose of controls and we see very power weapons in the hands of people who should not have them.
Helo

United States

#15 Aug 19, 2011
One Issue wrote:
Looking at guns as "the solution" to any problem can be a problem in itself.
A criminal may look at the gun as a solution to his economic problem or as the power needed to enforce his will on others.
The honest gun owner may see the gun as a way to stop those who would use their power against him in an unfair, dangerous or unlawful way.
Both views perpetuate the the proliferation of guns.
Obviously the more guns about and in hands of people the more chances there are of gun violence.
Yes the final determination of how a gun is used is in the hands of the person holding it.
But the increased number of guns just raises the level of danger for all and of course there will always be innocent bystanders who get caught in the line of fire.
I own guns. I have been trained. I have been practicing my skills for over 50 years and am an excellent marksman with several types of firearms.
But I see the need for regulation and controls to help insure guns are used properly and wisely and to increase the safety of all citizens.
Too few guns and we don't have enough for the people who need them and will use them well.
Too many guns and too loose of controls and we see very power weapons in the hands of people who should not have them.
First of all, I never said guns are the solution, they are a protection. The honest gun owner has the right to protect his/her self from harm. That is why they have the RIGHT TO CARRY. As for as your comment, in the hands of people, should it not be, IN THE HANDS OF THE WRONG PEOPLE? Innocent bystanders have also been shot by cops, I am not putting the cop down, the point I am making is, it's not the gun it's the PERSON! Stronger regulations are good, and so are controls, thats fine, but the criminal does not follow the rules, I also own numerous guns, pistols and rifles, and I carry one with me 24/7. I also teach gun safety. People who have a right to carry permit, have had a felony check, if they have a felon NO PERMIT. Criminals don't have a check ran on them they just carry. As for as the permit holder, the gun is for his protection ONLY for his SELF DEFFENSE ONLY!
dueling pistols

AOL

#16 Aug 19, 2011
Dueling pistols used to reslove many an issue.
Helo

United States

#17 Aug 20, 2011
dueling pistols wrote:
Dueling pistols used to reslove many an issue.
And now the issue is protection, we live in such a violent society. The police are a good source of protection, the only problem is there are not enough. You have to find protection now. I am not encouraging violent acts with a weapon, but the only way to resolve the issue, wich is now violence, is to protect yourself. AT ANY COST!
Pale Dago

United States

#18 Aug 20, 2011
There are no cons.
Helo

United States

#19 Aug 20, 2011
Pale Dago wrote:
There are no cons.
Your correct, thier are no cons. IT'S A RIGHT, and it's a choice, if you don't want to carry, then don't, but if people choose to, that is thier right!
TTU

United States

#20 Aug 21, 2011
Bottom line, right to bear arms is constitutionally enshrined and should not be infringed. Any government regulation should be narrowly tailored to address a readily apparent problem. No real problems so far, so regulations should be minimal. That we have arrived at a point where peaceable citizen's generally freely carry personal weapons should be viewed as a testament of our freedom as a people, not as a result of the political tantrums of right wing nuts clinging to their guns and religion as summarized by certain persons.

Robberies and assaults/battery are typically crimes of opportunity. As our economy continues its present path and the gap between haves and have nots increases, the ability to defend one's self and avoid becoming a victim of a crime will become increasingly important to the ability to exercise one's rights to go where one wants when one wants to go there.
Helo

United States

#21 Aug 23, 2011
TTU wrote:
Bottom line, right to bear arms is constitutionally enshrined and should not be infringed. Any government regulation should be narrowly tailored to address a readily apparent problem. No real problems so far, so regulations should be minimal. That we have arrived at a point where peaceable citizen's generally freely carry personal weapons should be viewed as a testament of our freedom as a people, not as a result of the political tantrums of right wing nuts clinging to their guns and religion as summarized by certain persons.
Robberies and assaults/battery are typically crimes of opportunity. As our economy continues its present path and the gap between haves and have nots increases, the ability to defend one's self and avoid becoming a victim of a crime will become increasingly important to the ability to exercise one's rights to go where one wants when one wants to go there.
I think I have found somebody with some logic and common sense. You can't find many people who reasons things out, they just jump to conclusions. And you could have not said it better. If it is within the law, you should be able to excersize you rights. I have had a c.c.w. for quite some time now, I never had to use it, but it is a sense of security, just to know you have some protection. Now days. I love to teach people gun safety, and how to shoot, especially women. It gives you a good feeling to now you have made a person feel good about themselves, and have helped them feel more safe when they are alone. I really appreciate yout comment. If you don't already have a c.c.w., but are contemplating on getting one, please feel free to right back with any questions, and if I can I will be more than to help you. Who ever you are, YOU HAVE COMMON SENCSE. It was enjoyable to hear your comment Thank You. And by the way, my wife also carrys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uplands Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Burning the American Flag 1 hr hardhead 34
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) 2 hr Marcus Welby 250
News Sick of college protesters 3 hr Jessie 9
wife 3 hr Pushing 3 bills 2
Disgusting POTUS. (Dec '15) Thu Marcus Welby 157
Democrats in Chaos Thu exposing florissant 25
Obama's Immigration Plan (Nov '14) Nov 30 red dawn 21

Uplands Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance