Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

this explains alot

Cattle respond to magnetic fields from power lines

High-voltage power lines mess with animal magnetism. Researchers, who reported last year that most cows and deer tend to orient themselves in a north-south alignment, have now found that power lines can disorient the animals.

When the power lines run east-west, that's the way grazing cattle tend to line up, researchers led by Hynek Burda and Sabine Begall of the faculty of biology at the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany report in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

They also found that cows and deer grazing under northeast-southwest or northwest-southeast power lines faced in random directions.

The research team studied cows and deer using satellite and aerial images.

In their report last August, Burda and colleagues suggested the north-south orientation was in response to the Earth's magnetic field.

The new study adds weight to the animals responding to magnetic effects, since power lines also produce a magnetic field. And the effect was most noticeable close to the power lines, declining as the magnetic field of the electric lines was reduced by distance.

Wind and weather can also affect which ways cows choose to face, but without such factors about two-thirds of them tended to align north-south when away from power lines.

The Earth's magnetic field is thought to be a factor in how birds navigate, and other animals also are believed to respond to it.

In addition to Burda and Begall, the research team included Julia Neef of the University of Duisburg-Essen, Jaroslav Cerveny of the Czech University of Life Sciences and Pavel Nemec of Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.

The research was supported by the Czech Science Foundation and the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic.

___

On the Net:

PNAS: http://www.pnas.org
Pale Dago

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

And I should care which way cattle face for what ever reason? I suppose that study cost a bizillion dollars. It does shed some light on why, as I spent 35 years living under the influence of the wires on Humes,and all the strange behaviour in our family. Always followed Humes from one end to the other,never able to make a right or left turn.All the kids in our family never grew over four feet tall,and mom had an extra arm to whoop up on us with,never occurred to me that we had a problem,so glad to know it was the wires.Have a good one,and watch out for the conspiracy theory wackos out there.

Since: May 07

Florissant MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

Doesnt the mayor live under power lines>

Since: May 07

Florissant MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

that should have been a ? at the end, not a >...maybe I live under power lines.
RATWINGER

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

crab wrote:
Doesnt the mayor live under power lines>
DING DING DING You are correct sir!!!!!
W E Tenschap

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Pale Dago wrote:
And I should care which way cattle face for what ever reason? I suppose that study cost a bizillion dollars. It does shed some light on why, as I spent 35 years living under the influence of the wires on Humes,and all the strange behaviour in our family. Always followed Humes from one end to the other,never able to make a right or left turn.All the kids in our family never grew over four feet tall,and mom had an extra arm to whoop up on us with,never occurred to me that we had a problem,so glad to know it was the wires.Have a good one,and watch out for the conspiracy theory wackos out there.
It may have cost a "bizillion dollars" but it would have to be converted to Euros since the study was done by the Czechs, have no fear your tax dollars are not being used.

Science is about seeking knowledge and understanding.
You can scoff at such studies but the knowledge that results from these sorts of studies but eventually that knowledge gets overlaid with other studies and knowledge and often something very useful results.
Obviously most people are not very good at science based on the "studies" that show the lack of science and math skills among the general public.
But that doesn't stop people from scoffing at scientists trying to figure things out.
Many of the very same people that scoff are the same ones that take all of the technology around them for granted.
Next time you bite into a big juicy hamburger or some "out-of-season" delicacy just remember that it was made possible by a whole lot of technology that was the result of those "studies".
Doctor Demento

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

Shocking changes in personality and mental status as well as higher rates of cancer are also associated with living in proximity to high electromagnetic radiation fields over the long term. There are many studies out there showing a strong correlation. Always thought the mayor had an electric personality. Kinda makes your hair stand on end.
Party town

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Hey, maybe Nancy Pelosi will give Florissant 47 million to do tests on the mayor's house. Can't hurt to ask....
Do U Know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

Judged:

Do you know anyone who grew up under the power lines in Florissant or other areas who later developed medical problems that may have been related?
Maybe unusual cancers like "spinal" or "brain" cancers?
taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

Judged:

Do U Know wrote:
Do you know anyone who grew up under the power lines in Florissant or other areas who later developed medical problems that may have been related?
Maybe unusual cancers like "spinal" or "brain" cancers?
THE MAYOR.
Go Away

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> THE MAYOR.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/ofallon-mo
alittlelooney

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Judged:

#9 Yes,Do You Know........my youngest son got Large Cell Lymphoma from living under power lines when we lived at Lake of the Ozarks. University of Columbia did research about it and it is down on the records.He also was born prematurely 7months. He is cancer free today.They could only use Radiation and Chemo and not operate on him because the cancer was wrapped around his heart. We have really been blessed and firmly believe in miracles...
Do U Know

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

alittlelooney wrote:
#9 Yes,Do You Know........my youngest son got Large Cell Lymphoma from living under power lines when we lived at Lake of the Ozarks. University of Columbia did research about it and it is down on the records.He also was born prematurely 7months. He is cancer free today.They could only use Radiation and Chemo and not operate on him because the cancer was wrapped around his heart. We have really been blessed and firmly believe in miracles...
So sorry to hear you had problems. I hope you continue to have no problems.I hear conflicting reports about the effects of EM radiation on people. Some of the reports are likely the result of studies done by and for the power companies.
I knew a family of four that moved under the power lines. Within months the oldest child moved away and got married. The parents and the youngest child lived there under the power lines for about 10 years. All three eventually died from cancers. The oldest child that moved away has had no illnesses and is still living. Could just be coincidences or medical oddities unrelated to EM radiation. Maybe the house had radon. Who knows? But it made me suspicious of power lines
jeanette

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2009

ratwinger 63031 wrote:
this explains alot
Cattle respond to magnetic fields from power lines
High-voltage power lines mess with animal magnetism. Researchers, who reported last year that most cows and deer tend to orient themselves in a north-south alignment, have now found that power lines can disorient the animals.
When the power lines run east-west, that's the way grazing cattle tend to line up, researchers led by Hynek Burda and Sabine Begall of the faculty of biology at the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany report in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
They also found that cows and deer grazing under northeast-southwest or northwest-southeast power lines faced in random directions.
The research team studied cows and deer using satellite and aerial images.
In their report last August, Burda and colleagues suggested the north-south orientation was in response to the Earth's magnetic field.
The new study adds weight to the animals responding to magnetic effects, since power lines also produce a magnetic field. And the effect was most noticeable close to the power lines, declining as the magnetic field of the electric lines was reduced by distance.
Wind and weather can also affect which ways cows choose to face, but without such factors about two-thirds of them tended to align north-south when away from power lines.
The Earth's magnetic field is thought to be a factor in how birds navigate, and other animals also are believed to respond to it.
In addition to Burda and Begall, the research team included Julia Neef of the University of Duisburg-Essen, Jaroslav Cerveny of the Czech University of Life Sciences and Pavel Nemec of Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
The research was supported by the Czech Science Foundation and the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic.
___
On the Net:
PNAS: http://www.pnas.org
Thanks for the interesting post. I had recently been reading about the earth's magnetic field and became fascinated with that. It has only been measured (I believe since the 1800's) but measurements show it gradually becoming weaker which means we're probably due to a "flip" or reversal. Might cause a bit of a problem in certain areas. Don't birds use the field in their navagation? On the cow thing... I wouldn't feel too comfortable being exposed long term to the electrical fields from power lines. Some medical articles do link some cancers with living under them. Weren't there some warnings not too long ago about electric blankets and being exposed to those electrical fields? I guess we're all unknowingly exposed to all sorts of things in our environment, which can influence our health and behaviors. Who knows everything that makes us what we are. From the time we're born... our genes and juices (biological personalities), family environment, external influences. Back to the cows, again; I'm always wondering dumb things (like why do cows seem to face the same way (as a group) instead of a more random positioning). That's why I found your post most interesting.
Confused Mother

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

I am currently trying to decide weather or not to by a property that has a High power line running cross the back yard. It is about 150 meters from the house and I have read heaps of stuff but I am still confused. They say there are no links between the power lines and cancer but then you hear stories where a whole family has been affected by cancer. Is this just a coincident? I wonder is it just because the Cancer Jean runs through the family? I have also heard stories of families living under them their whole life and they are healthy and alive. I am just worried as my children are 3 and 1. Am I putting my familles health at risk to save some money? Also if they were so bad how come I have not read stories about the people that work on the towers everyday for 30 year developing cancer? I wish there was a straight answer!!!!!
Apply common sense

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Confused Mother wrote:
I am currently trying to decide weather or not to by a property that has a High power line running cross the back yard. It is about 150 meters from the house and I have read heaps of stuff but I am still confused. They say there are no links between the power lines and cancer but then you hear stories where a whole family has been affected by cancer. Is this just a coincident? I wonder is it just because the Cancer Jean runs through the family? I have also heard stories of families living under them their whole life and they are healthy and alive. I am just worried as my children are 3 and 1. Am I putting my familles health at risk to save some money? Also if they were so bad how come I have not read stories about the people that work on the towers everyday for 30 year developing cancer? I wish there was a straight answer!!!!!
Simply apply some common sense. You live around electricity and radio waves, virtually every single day. Where you work, where you live, where you visit, 24/7.
Many people work in high voltage buildings, such as factories, assembly plants, tall high rise buildings, large box stores, etc. Regardless of where you go, unless it is a cave, underground, with no electricity, you are constantly exposed.
Visit with people currently living along side of these power lines and see if it causes any of them a concern or propblem.
Ask yourself, why are you considering this location? Price? location? view? Additional common ground? Why?
Apply some common sense.
Pathetic

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Judged:

alittlelooney wrote:
Blessed would be to not have had Cancer to begin with. You can believe it is a miracle he is better but in reality you should be thanking his Doctors and the Scientists who invented the treatments.
Hey

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

I have read that it is best to sleep with your head facing north.
I've also heard to not sleep near the breakerbox or where electric comes into the house or spend alot of time in these areas.
The new smart meters are also making people sick.
EMFs are also coming off gwen and cell towers.
Mrs G

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Apply common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply apply some common sense. You live around electricity and radio waves, virtually every single day. Where you work, where you live, where you visit, 24/7.
Many people work in high voltage buildings, such as factories, assembly plants, tall high rise buildings, large box stores, etc. Regardless of where you go, unless it is a cave, underground, with no electricity, you are constantly exposed.
Visit with people currently living along side of these power lines and see if it causes any of them a concern or propblem.
Ask yourself, why are you considering this location? Price? location? view? Additional common ground? Why?
Apply some common sense.
The strength of electric fields and length of time individuals are exposed varies greatly depending on a list of factors.
The fact is, even someone who works around high levels of electromagnetic radiation will often get away from it for the rest of the day. But if they go home and sleep under a strong field they are getting and additional dose of EMR.
This is anecdotal, but there has been very little cancer in our family other than a few minor cancers that were not at all deadly. Of the five of our relatives who died of cancers, all developed neurological cancers, all lived under power lines. Three on my husbands side of the family and two on mine.
Even more strange, three members of one family on my husband side died after living under power lines for about 25 years, the husband, wife and daughter. But their son who moved out at 18 to attend college, before the family moved under the lines, is fine. The other three in the family all died of neurological cancers within 5 years of each other.
That seems like a very strange set of statistics. What is the odds of 5 individuals from two different genetic backgrounds and part of a group of close to 100 people, all succumbing to neurological cancers with none of the others in the group living under power lines or developing deadly neurological cancers?
That may be unrelated to the power lines but it sure seems odd.
Studies have shown mixed findings but many in the scientific community believe a significant correlation exists. But after losing so many family members in such an odd way, I am not so certain as you that there is no correlation between cancers and power lines.
And it may be that some individuals are more susceptible to the radiation. Everyone's bodies react to environmental hazards in various ways. Similar to how some people are allergic to cats and some are not.
I have no

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Mrs G wrote:
<quoted text>
The strength of electric fields and length of time individuals are exposed varies greatly depending on a list of factors.
The fact is, even someone who works around high levels of electromagnetic radiation will often get away from it for the rest of the day. But if they go home and sleep under a strong field they are getting and additional dose of EMR.
This is anecdotal, but there has been very little cancer in our family other than a few minor cancers that were not at all deadly. Of the five of our relatives who died of cancers, all developed neurological cancers, all lived under power lines. Three on my husbands side of the family and two on mine.
Even more strange, three members of one family on my husband side died after living under power lines for about 25 years, the husband, wife and daughter. But their son who moved out at 18 to attend college, before the family moved under the lines, is fine. The other three in the family all died of neurological cancers within 5 years of each other.
That seems like a very strange set of statistics. What is the odds of 5 individuals from two different genetic backgrounds and part of a group of close to 100 people, all succumbing to neurological cancers with none of the others in the group living under power lines or developing deadly neurological cancers?
That may be unrelated to the power lines but it sure seems odd.
Studies have shown mixed findings but many in the scientific community believe a significant correlation exists. But after losing so many family members in such an odd way, I am not so certain as you that there is no correlation between cancers and power lines.
And it may be that some individuals are more susceptible to the radiation. Everyone's bodies react to environmental hazards in various ways. Similar to how some people are allergic to cats and some are not.
scientific knowledge of the subject but I do know people who live over on St.Anthony where major power grid lines run through the yards. They have had some significant health issues. In particular neurological disorders thought to be genetically linked but doctors could find nothing of that nature in the medical history of the person affected.

I think there is a large difference between everyday electrical output in someone's home and living 24/7 literally underneath huge electrical cables and a few yards from transformers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Uplands Park Discussions

Search the Uplands Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 1 hr rainstained 95,820
Jamestown Mall Rebuild REC PLEX / Family Arena 8 hr Shayrisa 12
Message to the Mayor and the Council (Jul '11) 14 hr Grandeur 160
Best Mayor for Future of Florissant (Dec '13) 19 hr press 1 for English 331
Don Houston for State Representative Dist. 74 20 hr good luck 18
Steve Stenger for County Exec Wed Who are you kidding 16
old quick trip Wed chic fe let 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Uplands Park Jobs

•••