Sentencing today in Taylor U. crash

A Michigan truck driver was expected to be sentenced today in the 2006 crash that killed five people from Taylor University and sparked a weeks-long case of mistaken identity. Read more
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Brenda in Virginia

Roanoke, VA

#161 Aug 14, 2007
Dead on the Money wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly sound like an unbiased source of information regarding this situation.
And your bias is????? We all already know...self-rightous and knows nothing of the industry (obviously).

BST
Brodie

Indianapolis, IN

#162 Aug 14, 2007
Lives in the hood wrote:
The identity mix-up wasn’t discovered until five weeks later, when the family of Laura VanRyn, of Caledonia, Mich., realized that the woman they thought was their daughter actually was Whitney Cerak, of Gaylord, Mich., another Taylor student who has since recovered and returned to classes.
That's not what happened is it? This paragraph doesn't make sense.
Yes, that is what happened. Actually, the mistake wasn't known until she woke up and said, "My name is Whitney Cerak." Until then even the family couldn't tell the difference between the two girls.
Brenda in Virginia

Roanoke, VA

#163 Aug 14, 2007
Animal Lover wrote:
Prayers to the families of those who perished in the crash. May the Good Lord hold them in his loving care. May He also give strength to the families and friends they left behind.
As for the truck driver..someday he will be judged by another Judge.
Yeah...so will you (and the rest of us, so think about the fact YOU HAVE already done YOUR judging which is NOT your place).

BST
Trucker WIFE

Noblesville, IN

#164 Aug 14, 2007
former truck co owner wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality is that most companies have their system set up for the drivers to drive legal amounts of hours but the drivers get under a load then do not leave on time then have to fudge on the rules to not get caught. Most shippers and receivers work normal daytime hours and many driver try to game the system once they have the load captured , to leave at their convenience and then have the shipper or receiver accomodate them.
I dealt with a lot of truckers wives who were getiing a lot of bad biased information to cover up the husband/trucker's activities.
Some companies are good, true, but the majority don't care, "the love of money is the root of all evil", thus is what causes the situation I am trying to explain. On top of it all, the shipping and receving hours depend on which end of the industry you're working in. My husband has done them all, food, to mail, to construction equipment to cement, to building supplies, to steel, you name it, he's delivered it.

Believe it, I'd be a tough person to give misinformation to. If I think I smell a rat I HUNT IT OUT! I make sure I throughly understand something before I start trying to explain it. I don't take anyone's word for much until I deem them a reliable source. I don't ever want the skimmed down version...I need the entire enchilada and them some. So I know that when I discuss something I have taken the time to digest it, analyze and and understand it first! I am well aware of all spectrums of the trucking industry.....Former owner or not, you cannot deny that most companies only care about the loads out and times delivered. They guarantee their pay on it! I am not EXCUSING what this man did. He ran illegally, I was simply making the point that his company had to have known. They make them check in and out, keep log books etc. There are severaly companies that will claim that they don't make you fix your logs...I say that's the BIGGEST LIE of them all. They most certainly do...and it all falls on "someone elses" shoulder. God forbid if anyone outthere had to practice, Ownership, Accountability and Responsibility! This man is taking on his and the companies and that was my point!
tom in wabash

United States

#165 Aug 15, 2007
If it was a 70 year old man in a 45 foot R.V. that He had no training to drive it would been An accident or if it was a 30 year old with 4 screaming kids still an accident but if it is a truck diver paying his bills it is a crime the only way He has to make ends meet is to drive the miles it wasn't a DUI same as if you did it when you answered your stupid cell phone. He was just trying to do a job no one thinks there too tired to do there job till it is to late. The corner must been to tired to ID the right Girl. He is the one that didn't do his job and caused alot of pain for two of the familys and then blamed someone else
tom in wabash

United States

#166 Aug 15, 2007
ItsaShame wrote:
If I'm sleepy driving my car - I pull over on the next exit and take a rest. Simple enough ...and should be DOUBLY simple for a "professional truck driver" too. So truck drivers beware - if you choose to drive sleepy and screw up by killing or injuring someone you WILL pay a very deep price. Need an example? You got one now!
IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT TO THE NEXT EXIT DO YOU THINK YOURSELF AS A KILLER

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Upland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jokers Wild Wed Vacation Man 1
What happen to grant county ? Mar 23 leaae 8
Pain & Corruption (Jan '13) Mar 23 I_Believe_Eric 23
Beware of SEAN MOREILLON (Aug '14) Mar 21 justbecause 100
k of c bingo Feb 23 pissed off bingo ... 1
Shooter Feb '15 unknown ryder 2
looking for pain relief... Feb '15 Mark 3
Upland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web