Sentencing today in Taylor U. crash

Sentencing today in Taylor U. crash

There are 146 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Aug 14, 2007, titled Sentencing today in Taylor U. crash. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A Michigan truck driver was expected to be sentenced today in the 2006 crash that killed five people from Taylor University and sparked a weeks-long case of mistaken identity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
wow

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Aug 14, 2007
boy, could serve up to 24 years, just doesn't seem right that that is all he could get. well, he did kill only 5 people. guess the body count has to be more to really get a good long sentence. may he rot in hell.
chess2007

AOL

#2 Aug 14, 2007
this is outrages that he only gets 24 years in prison for killing five people. He should do hard labor for life, then hang him. or hang him as soon as the trial is over. what a waste of tax payers money
jack

Naperville, IL

#3 Aug 14, 2007
I feel bad for eneryone involved in this from the familys that lost loved ones to the truck driver.
a break

River Falls, WI

#5 Aug 14, 2007
You ppl need to realize that its not like he murdered these students on purpose. People make mistakes and yes he shouldnt have driven those long hours, but give him a break. He I am sure has family at home that he would be trying to get home too. May the victims rest in peace and the familys find peace in the time he does serve.

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Aug 14, 2007
it was an accident! Yes, people died, but he didn't do it on purpose. The poor many can't even afford an attorney to defend himself.
lock1347

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Aug 14, 2007
It's hard to tell anything from the mixed up identity account.??????
Tomzilla

Jeffersonville, IN

#8 Aug 14, 2007
This still is a very sad story. What a waste of Human life and it all could have been avoided.
Alyssa Ping

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Aug 14, 2007
24 years for an accident. This is ridiculous. Our justice system is shameful.
Doc

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Aug 14, 2007
It was an accident... It is terrible there was a loss of life(s). I can't even imagine the pain everyone is going through... The families of the departed, and the family of this poor man... Please don't be so brash on judging him... He has to live with this for the rest of his life.
Justice Served

Baltimore, MD

#14 Aug 14, 2007
No, this was not an "accident". He did not accidently drive 9 hours longer than legally allowed. It was a choice. A bad choice and one he should rightfully be held accountable for. This case is an excellent example of why there is a law limiting the number of hours truck drivers are allowed on the road.
guest wrote:
it was an accident! Yes, people died, but he didn't do it on purpose. The poor many can't even afford an attorney to defend himself.
tina

Madison, WI

#16 Aug 14, 2007
But we have child molesters walk away free only to repeat the same act later..................
cts

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Aug 14, 2007
this sentence is a discgrace.

24 years for something with no intent whatsover.

All this case was about was pleasing idiots who think this truck driver was a monster.

This driver should have gotten probation and thats it.
ItsaShame

Plainfield, IN

#20 Aug 14, 2007
If I'm sleepy driving my car - I pull over on the next exit and take a rest. Simple enough ...and should be DOUBLY simple for a "professional truck driver" too. So truck drivers beware - if you choose to drive sleepy and screw up by killing or injuring someone you WILL pay a very deep price. Need an example? You got one now!
cts

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Aug 14, 2007
someone please look up past penalties for drivers who fell asleep and caused death.

My guess is that its nowhere close to this unjust sentence.

I would think this drivers brain is fuct as a result of this deal anyways. What exactly is 24 years going to accomplish??
cts

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Aug 14, 2007
i would have been really interested to hear the sentence if this was a soccer mom on the way home from a long travel night.

i would bet everything i owned that it would be considered an accident.

this case is fuggin ridiculous. feel for the families, but this is not a crime, its a tragic accident.
herb23

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Aug 14, 2007
maybe I misread but the article Im reading now in Indystar says four years? which with Indiana DOC credit time means two years....
hello

United States

#24 Aug 14, 2007
why does the article say 4 years instead of 24?
maybe i missed something

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Aug 14, 2007
How could he be credited for 694 days in jail, when the accident happened 475 days ago? Or is that double time (347 days), for good behavior or something?
Rusty

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Aug 14, 2007
jen in mooresville wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure you would feel different if it was your mother,sister,father or brother or any member of your family that got killed because of his recklessness.
It wouldn't matter if they were family members of mine; I wouldn't want the poor guy to spend 24 years in prison for an ACCIDENT that's for sure. He broke a law for certain. And he should be punished. But 24 years is much too harsh when you compare that to the sentences given for other crimes.

Tons of people in many jobs work long hours on little sleep. They may even be doing dangerous things, like flying airplanes, or being on patrol (police/military). If they make a mistake because they're tired, should they go to prison?

You see, I believe that laws and punishment should be determined and handed out based on logic, fairness, and equity, NOT emotion. It's quite clear that your unbridled contempt for this man and your call for near lynching is based on your EMOTIONS, and not anything logical or equitable.

I'm that you don't make or enforce laws.
Ummmm

Cincinnati, OH

#27 Aug 14, 2007
Last year, an African immigrant child riding her bike was killed at 49th and Central after a Meridian-Kessler housewife also "fell asleep at the wheel" and crossed the center line. The driver was never charged because it was "an accident". Where is that little girl's justice? Where is the kind of outrage you are all venting upon the man who killed the Taylor students?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Upland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Ball State professor fought cops, bit car (Apr '08) Fri Karma 21
News Robber's note directs police to suspect (Jan '08) Mar 23 CLIFFORD W RHUDE 15
Magna Powertrain (May '08) Mar 21 JJ Yo 2,550
Superintendent Baule Mar 16 Cubbie 1
Charlotte peters Mar 11 Mad dog 1
News Where have all the college grads gone? (May '14) Mar 7 Helen Waite 2
Night of worship Mar 6 Claude 1

Upland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Upland Mortgages