Ole Miss Students Vote: New Mascot, o...

Ole Miss Students Vote: New Mascot, or None?

There are 34 comments on the WREG story from Feb 23, 2010, titled Ole Miss Students Vote: New Mascot, or None?. In it, WREG reports that:

University, MS - FAST FACTS: U of M abolished long time Col. Reb mascot in 2003 School proposes new mascot Students insist on campus vote [email protected] University of Mississippi students voted today 74-26% that their school needs a mascot of some sort.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ole Miss Student

University, MS

#22 Feb 23, 2010
First off this article is in fact wrong about what we were voting for today in the election. The two choices we got to choose from were either: YES, I do support a student-led effort to develop and propose a new "on-field" mascot to represent the Ole Miss Rebels, or NO, I do not support a student-led effort to develop and propose a new "on-field" mascot to represent the Ole Miss Rebels.

If you would like to actually see the article posted in our paper yesterday explaining the election, here is the link http://www.thedmonline.com/content/what-you-s...
REBELS-YELL

Collierville, TN

#23 Feb 23, 2010
The University of Mississippi has a history of the south. There is a confederate grave yard on the campus and the school was used for a hospital at the time of the Civil War. "REB" is not a racial thing or a southern thing, it is a tradition and part of the history of the school.
ken

Ripley, MS

#24 Feb 23, 2010
I LOST FAITH IN OLE MISS WHEN THEY DONE AWAY WITH THE FLAG,,,WATERMELON SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD MASCOT, IT WILL DRAW MORE BLACKS TO THE SCHOOL SO US TAXPAYERS CAN PAY FOR
Don in Mississippi

Memphis, TN

#25 Feb 24, 2010
tlb - wrote:
Wow! I had to read this and many other posts (from what I assume are past or current students of the university in question) many times in order to decipher what in the heck they were trying to say! What I came up with is that you all spend way too much time outside of class talking about crap that doesn't matter to most of the United States. GO TO SCHOOL!!! Learn what the hell you're talking about and how to say it in order to be convincing and compelling and, most importantly, UNDERSTANDABLE. That goes to both sides of this argument. You all sound like a bunch of illiterate idiots.
<quoted text>
This is the whole point,it is people standing up for what they believe in.A sure sign of an illiterate idiot is the spineless jokers who don't understand or believe in standing up for what they believe in.
Charles

Collierville, TN

#26 Feb 24, 2010
I vote for Buckwheat!
ken

Ripley, MS

#27 Feb 24, 2010
most students from this so called school are not from the south,,WHO runs this school,HITLER,put it to a vote in oxford and see who wins
so sad

Memphis, TN

#29 Feb 24, 2010
Chester Drawers wrote:
Why don't they just go all the way & adopt Ted Kennedy? After all, he's been sober a few months now......
Ted Kennedy is dead you woot!
so sad

Memphis, TN

#30 Feb 24, 2010
william wrote:
True the civil war was over in 1865 and the issues of the era are over except for segrgation and white superiority. Peter Fortune stripped the rebel flag and the mascot destroyed in 2005. Students should fight back! Liberal students at most universities, including Ole Miss would have a fit if communisim or the hammer and sickle were to be banned.
Who is Peter Fortune ???
Brandon

Richmond, VA

#32 Feb 24, 2010
I graduated from Ole Miss undergraduate and law school. I swear that place will never see a dime of my alumni money and I will try to persuade my children to go elsewhere too. People have no sense of history. Colonel Reb is not racists and was never a lightning rod for racial division. Political correctness is a pervasive, deadly parasite. To ignore history and tradition is to be ignorant.
Lacey

United States

#33 Feb 24, 2010
I don't understand why any school,state,country,person, ect. would want to "shed all its traditional symbols..." Our history is what makes us who we are. There are other ways to "update its images" than to try & erase our past.
the vote is a joke

Ackerman, MS

#34 Feb 24, 2010
Thank you upsetrebel for trying to set the record straight. Monday's DM clearly states, "Voting 'no' in tuesday's election is a vote for the following: While you may want a new on-field mascot, you DON'T want the process to be led by the student body. This could still result in the development of a new university mascot, but student involvement will not be guaranteed." Voting to NOT have a NEW mascot was not an option, according to the DM. The whole process was designed to make sure those who wanted the old mascot, or else, no new mascot did not have a voice in the election. As Simon and Garfunkel said, "Anyway you look at this you lose"
Zorro

Memphis, TN

#35 Feb 24, 2010
upsetrebel wrote:
this article is incorrect...The vote did not include an option to keep things the way they are. The administration only gave two options on the ballot. One was to "Yes" for a student led effort for a new mascot. This means the students will be "included" in choosing a new mascot. The "NO" vote will result in the students giving up their say in what the mascot will be. There is no option to keep the mascot we have had for so long. There is no option to "keep things the way they are." The administration and Chancellor Dan Jones in particular are all hypocrites. When Chancellor Jones took position, he claimed that he would not change any traditions that were in place...In less than a year he has supported the loss of "From Dixie with Love" from being played at football games and now he is supporting a new mascot. Soon I am sure that we will lose the name "Rebels" and be called New Miss because of its reference to the old South. Also, Chancellor Jones has proposed a "Groving Tax" for this coming fall, so everyone who wishes to put up a tent in the Grove for football games will have to pay an undetermined amount. Just reading this news article makes me sick. The University has obviously told lies to channel 3 and their followers as well, saying that the students have been basically begging for a new mascot. LIES, pathetic LIES!
Well put. The students didn't "want" a new mascot - they were forced into it.
MidtownMike

Memphis, TN

#36 Feb 25, 2010
Charles wrote:
I vote for Buckwheat!
And Stimey for school chancellor.
Beautiful Bombshell

Pensacola, FL

#37 Mar 13, 2010
How about the Ole Miss Turds or the Ole Miss Turd Tappers?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kratom like stuff... Mon Olemiss1 1
News "What happened to Leigh Occhi?" (Mar '08) Aug 27 lulu 177
Carl & tory Aug 19 Curiouslycurious 1
News MDOT meeting planned in Batesville Aug 18 Porch Honkey 1
clock Jul '16 slink 1
News Thacker Mountain Radio returning to Tupelo Jul '16 Down on Main 3
News Hugh Freeze Calls For Change to Mississippi Sta... (Jul '15) Jul '16 Angry 6

University Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

University Mortgages