Ole Miss Students Vote: New Mascot, o...

Ole Miss Students Vote: New Mascot, or None?

There are 34 comments on the WREG story from Feb 23, 2010, titled Ole Miss Students Vote: New Mascot, or None?. In it, WREG reports that:

University, MS - FAST FACTS: U of M abolished long time Col. Reb mascot in 2003 School proposes new mascot Students insist on campus vote [email protected] University of Mississippi students voted today 74-26% that their school needs a mascot of some sort.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
steve

Athens, GA

#1 Feb 23, 2010
This is really unfortunate. School's need to be proud of their heritage.
ARC

Memphis, TN

#2 Feb 23, 2010
you have got the wrong culture running things at u of m. Are we going to take the colonel's face off of the bucket of chicken next. people better wake up.
ARM

Memphis, TN

#3 Feb 23, 2010
I have an Idea, let's use a watermelon for a mascot.
william

Memphis, TN

#4 Feb 23, 2010
True the civil war was over in 1865 and the issues of the era are over except for segrgation and white superiority. Peter Fortune stripped the rebel flag and the mascot destroyed in 2005. Students should fight back! Liberal students at most universities, including Ole Miss would have a fit if communisim or the hammer and sickle were to be banned.
john

Erin, TN

#5 Feb 23, 2010
maybe they need to go with an animal style mascot ,the most fun ones are the zany ones any way ,col. reb. was no fun too watch,if they change the mascot they change the atmosphere ,better for everyone if its a neutral character,have some common sense we are not the same school that first came up with col. reb.,new times calls for progression sometimes change is good ~!
mike

Memphis, TN

#6 Feb 23, 2010
Why are the fraternities and sororaties not leading the storming of the president's office at this very moment???
Amazed at Stupidity

Pontotoc, MS

#7 Feb 23, 2010
The students that currently go to the University of Mississippi don't even know what the mascot stands for. I am a current student and continue to hear, "I don't care! It's our tradition!" That would be good if they understood tradition. The same argument was raised on the abolishing of "The South will rise again!" This wasn't a tradition. It was a comment that got started less than 15 years ago. I think the University doesn't deserve a mascot until they understand the purpose of a mascot. Changing mascots doesn't change the school. At least, it shouldn't. If North Caroline changed to a peacock, do you think it would change the education or athletics there?
upsetrebel

University, MS

#8 Feb 23, 2010
this article is incorrect...The vote did not include an option to keep things the way they are. The administration only gave two options on the ballot. One was to "Yes" for a student led effort for a new mascot. This means the students will be "included" in choosing a new mascot. The "NO" vote will result in the students giving up their say in what the mascot will be. There is no option to keep the mascot we have had for so long. There is no option to "keep things the way they are." The administration and Chancellor Dan Jones in particular are all hypocrites. When Chancellor Jones took position, he claimed that he would not change any traditions that were in place...In less than a year he has supported the loss of "From Dixie with Love" from being played at football games and now he is supporting a new mascot. Soon I am sure that we will lose the name "Rebels" and be called New Miss because of its reference to the old South. Also, Chancellor Jones has proposed a "Groving Tax" for this coming fall, so everyone who wishes to put up a tent in the Grove for football games will have to pay an undetermined amount. Just reading this news article makes me sick. The University has obviously told lies to channel 3 and their followers as well, saying that the students have been basically begging for a new mascot. LIES, pathetic LIES!
Amazed at Stupidity

Pontotoc, MS

#9 Feb 23, 2010
upsetrebel wrote:
this article is incorrect...The vote did not include an option to keep things the way they are. The administration only gave two options on the ballot. One was to "Yes" for a student led effort for a new mascot. This means the students will be "included" in choosing a new mascot. The "NO" vote will result in the students giving up their say in what the mascot will be. There is no option to keep the mascot we have had for so long. There is no option to "keep things the way they are." The administration and Chancellor Dan Jones in particular are all hypocrites. When Chancellor Jones took position, he claimed that he would not change any traditions that were in place...In less than a year he has supported the loss of "From Dixie with Love" from being played at football games and now he is supporting a new mascot. Soon I am sure that we will lose the name "Rebels" and be called New Miss because of its reference to the old South. Also, Chancellor Jones has proposed a "Groving Tax" for this coming fall, so everyone who wishes to put up a tent in the Grove for football games will have to pay an undetermined amount. Just reading this news article makes me sick. The University has obviously told lies to channel 3 and their followers as well, saying that the students have been basically begging for a new mascot. LIES, pathetic LIES!
Upsetrebel, you should learn to read. The choices were: YES- to start the committee for a new mascot, NO- to keep using no mascot.
Don in Mississippi

Memphis, TN

#10 Feb 23, 2010
Just goes to show you which is really the better university in Mississippi.They are wanting to change their mascot,for what possible reason? The rebel? You have got to be kidding.Do you really even know what a rebel is or what the definition of rebel is? Time for school a rebel is someone who stands up for what they believe in.Seeing as to what all courses Ole Miss teaches and has this would be the last thing in the world that they would even consider changing.I guess you couldn't be much of a lawyer if you didn't stand up for what you believe in.
unknown

Arlington, TN

#11 Feb 23, 2010
This is the true form of our government, as well. Eliminate some long traditions and tell the people too bad! If 100% of the student body said they wanted to keep the Colonel, they would still say no?? Who's school is this anyways? I hope the students stand for what is right and NOT vote for another mascot until the school recognizes it's true heritage. I guess ole KFC better get on board and eliminate the Colonel's original recipe,too
Tonya Kenney

Collierville, TN

#12 Feb 23, 2010
Some say it is RACIST to have Colonel Reb.... You don't see ANYONE calling Colonel Sanders or KFC RACIST. Yeah, let's change a hugh part of history because of a little OLE MASCOT!!!
Tonya Kenney

Collierville, TN

#13 Feb 23, 2010
To John in Roanoke Alabama.... Yeah lets change it... then we can change Memphis' tiger and then Alabama' elephant.
BadDog

Greenwood, MS

#14 Feb 23, 2010
You need to bring back the FLAG , song and keep the mascot. It's been that way for years. Just leave things alone. They have nothing to do with the way the players play. If the players are good then they will play good, if they are bad then they will play bad.

What should of happened, when we lost the flag, everyone should have boycotted all activities that went on at Ole Miss and then they would have thought twice about trying to change History that is not theirs.

If you don't like it, Go back to wherever the HELL you came from and don't come back, we won't miss you!!!!!!!!!!
Clay Essary

Corinth, MS

#16 Feb 23, 2010
I agree that we need a mascot. We need a mascot that means something to the school. The University of Mississippi has a history of the south. There is a confederate grave yard on the campus and the school was used for a hospital at the time of the Civil War. "REB" is not a racial thing or a southern thing, it is a tradition and part of the history of the school.
rebelman

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Feb 23, 2010
What a said day in Oxford at Ole Miss when we give up something that been a part of the school for a long time.I would bet my life that if it was the other color it wouldn't be a problem.I have support the school for a long time I recon now its time for me to cheer for another school where they have a mascot and its not a race issue.I will die a rebel.Look if you have a problem with the school go somewhere eles.This is are mascot and will always be mine.The South will rise again
tlb -

Jackson, MS

#18 Feb 23, 2010
Wow! I had to read this and many other posts (from what I assume are past or current students of the university in question) many times in order to decipher what in the heck they were trying to say! What I came up with is that you all spend way too much time outside of class talking about crap that doesn't matter to most of the United States. GO TO SCHOOL!!! Learn what the hell you're talking about and how to say it in order to be convincing and compelling and, most importantly, UNDERSTANDABLE. That goes to both sides of this argument. You all sound like a bunch of illiterate idiots.
Don in Mississippi wrote:
Just goes to show you which is really the better university in Mississippi.They are wanting to change their mascot,for what possible reason? The rebel? You have got to be kidding.Do you really even know what a rebel is or what the definition of rebel is? Time for school a rebel is someone who stands up for what they believe in.Seeing as to what all courses Ole Miss teaches and has this would be the last thing in the world that they would even consider changing.I guess you couldn't be much of a lawyer if you didn't stand up for what you believe in.
rebelman

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Feb 23, 2010
Next time that you are near a KFC drive by and see how many of the other colors are in there.They don't have a problem with that so why now the Col.Reb.This makes me sick.... Call me a racist I don't care this my hertiage this where I come from The SouthNothing is said when the y where there X so why don't we tell them they can't have that on.I pour Souther fore fatherss they are turning over in there graves.Thanks Chancellor Hitler.Just what we needed
pitprincess

United States

#20 Feb 23, 2010
if only we could get black history month and MLK day taking away. then hell would break loose! lol!!
John hernando

Hernando, MS

#21 Feb 23, 2010
william wrote:
True the civil war was over in 1865 and the issues of the era are over except for segrgation and white superiority. Peter Fortune stripped the rebel flag and the mascot destroyed in 2005. Students should fight back! Liberal students at most universities, including Ole Miss would have a fit if communisim or the hammer and sickle were to be banned.
Students are brain washed from the start in school,they are taught that the souths heritage is wrong and should be forgotten.Our government has done everything possible to remove anything about whites in the south,it is a shame we have no one to stand up for whites in MsDavid Duke tried but he was treated like sh-t by both races.Everyone is scared to stand up for what is right.So give them a pork chop for a mascot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shana Johnson (Jan '10) Jun 20 Living In Paradise 7
Cody Leslie? Jun 15 Hum 1
Haven mcgee Jun 13 WeeKnoo 1
Maggie Jun 3 Ceb 1
Some stole my FB account saying they are me (Dec '16) Jun 3 Really 3
Conned by Trump. You voted for this! May 28 Need2think 1
Joshua gates??? May 24 davey timez 2

University Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance