Charge in Oxford killing fought

The Ole Miss campus police officer who was dragged to his death during a traffic stop 'inserted himself' in the man's truck and may have scuffled with him, the suspect's attorney said. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TTH

United States

#21 Aug 13, 2007
I'm certain is wasn't intentional. Why, ol' Danny's friends probably tied him up, poured all that booze down his throat and then MADE him do all the pot and blow. Damn police, how dare they try to do thier job? After all, it's a college town. Everyone should have the right to speed down the street out of thier mind on drugs and alcohol! It was probably an illegal search, too. Just because Dan was underage and in possession of a cooler full of alcohol, couldn't speak clearly and didn't follow police instructions doesn't mean he was doing anything WRONG! What's wrong with you people?
so interested

Jeffersonville, KY

#22 Sep 27, 2007
I feel so sorry for this kid! I lived in Oxford last year and have tried to keep up with what is going on, but I haven't heard anything recently. It sounds like you know Dan. Do you know what is the latest! Hopefully he will get a light sentence. He made a mistake and should not have to live the rest of his life paying for it!!!
rebel

Jackson, MS

#23 Sep 28, 2007
responsibility, morals, and respect, i would say that is what the cummings guy lacks and quiet honestly it may be due to the silver spoon in his mouth or maybe just the lack of respect that he has for himself and others. not a killer? not true, he is a killer and maybe someone who made a mistake, but come on, mistakes and bad decisions come with consequence and unfortunately cummings, langley, their families and friends all must suffer because of cummings bad decision. Now he must reap the consequence. the genuine lack of his and in past occurrences with other students at ole miss and i am sure at other universities now is completely sick. being an alumni and seeing the "lack of respect", that the students have for others and THE LAW, is absurd- I pray that my children do not go there. cummings may not be a natural born killer, however, he did KILL a family man, an officer, a husband, and a father, and for that- HE SHOULD FRY!! maybe if our law was an eye for an eye, we would spend more time in peace instead of in the violence that surrounds us.

Since: Sep 07

The Delta

#24 Oct 1, 2007
I agree that he should be punished and suffer major consequences, however, people make mistakes!!! He shouldn't sit the rest of his life in jail b/c of this. He didn't intentionaly kill the officer. It was an accident! He knows he messed up and is paying for it right now! And as far as your children are concerned- I bet you would look at this differently if they were sitting in jail right now!
rebel wrote:
responsibility, morals, and respect, i would say that is what the cummings guy lacks and quiet honestly it may be due to the silver spoon in his mouth or maybe just the lack of respect that he has for himself and others. not a killer? not true, he is a killer and maybe someone who made a mistake, but come on, mistakes and bad decisions come with consequence and unfortunately cummings, langley, their families and friends all must suffer because of cummings bad decision. Now he must reap the consequence. the genuine lack of his and in past occurrences with other students at ole miss and i am sure at other universities now is completely sick. being an alumni and seeing the "lack of respect", that the students have for others and THE LAW, is absurd- I pray that my children do not go there. cummings may not be a natural born killer, however, he did KILL a family man, an officer, a husband, and a father, and for that- HE SHOULD FRY!! maybe if our law was an eye for an eye, we would spend more time in peace instead of in the violence that surrounds us.
wanting this over

United States

#25 Oct 10, 2007
I am sorry but reading this just made me have to comment. I was a good friend of Robert Langley. I had known him for several years, and he was pretty much a part of our family. Not for one minute do I believe that Robert would have hung on to that truck "of his own free will". AND I am glad that someone on here remembered that Robert was called in as BACKUP because the first officer could not get the kid to cooperate. Now, I am not saying that Cummings meant to kill Robert. I am almost 100% sure that he did not leave his house that night thinking,"I should go kill a cop." BUT when the situation occured, he KNEW that if he ran, it would be worse for him than just taking the ticket. I am also pretty sure that when Robert was pushed from or let go of the truck, the kid did not mean for him to die. He just wanted to get away from him. BUT the fact is that Robert died. There are people out there every day that "don't mean to do it" but they stil do. Robert was taken away from his wife, his two precious boys, and his stepkids all over a stupid traffic ticket and possibly a possession ticket. And now we have to hear that stupid piece of shit lawyer to Cummings drag Robert's name through the mud so he can try to prove his client's innocence. Why? Why do that to Robert's family? Robert did absolutely nothing wrong. He did his JOB! Although I am pretty sure of the outcome of this trial, I hope that there is Justice done in the city of Oxford. My thoughts and prayers are with Robert's family and friends as well as the Cummings family. Although I hope that their son rots in jail, I pray that they support their son and love him no matter what.

Since: Sep 07

The Delta

#26 Oct 16, 2007
I feel for the Langley family too! However, I think wanting someone to rot in jail is slightly harsh. People who plan on killing someone should "rot in jail"- not people who merely make a mistake... an extremely bad mistake.
wanting this over

United States

#27 Oct 16, 2007
So, could you also say that Mary Winkler made a "mistake"? She was "mentally abused" by her husband so they say, so she shot him in the back and then ran. Could we also say that she just made a "mistake" and shouldn't be punished that much? We all know that she got no punishment worth anything, and she deserved to get so much more punishment. I am sorry, but people who kill other people, FOR WHATEVER REASON, should be punished. I do not think for one second that he meant to kill Robert,I know it was "accidental", but he DID KILL ROBERT. REGARDLESS IF HE MEANT TO OR NOT! I may seem a little "harsh" and bitter, but I know two little boys, Cory and Robbie, who will both grow up without their daddy. Cory will probably not even remember Robert at all. I also know that Lisa and Robert loved each other very much, and now Lisa has to live the rest of her life without him. Furthermore, I know that my family, personally, will never be able to hang out with Robert and Lisa on Saturdays in the grove anymore, and have Robert come up behind me and pull my hair just to hear me yell at him. I guess since I know Lisa and knew Robert so well, it just hurts a little more to see and hear people say that this kid did not deserve to go to prison because "he is a good kid"!!!!!!

Since: Sep 07

The Delta

#28 Oct 16, 2007
First of all, I never said he shouldn't go to prison or be punished!!! I am sorry you lost your friend. As far as Mary Winkler is concerned, that is an extremely different case... with a verdict that shocked the nation! I don't see these two cases in any way the same- just happen that they have the same lawyer. I just feel sorry for both families... the wife, the boys, the cummings, and dan!!!
Spoon

Oxford, MS

#29 Jun 30, 2008
Now that the trial is over and Cummings was busted for smoking pot in a minimum security prison,where mis he now. apparently he didn't learn anything with one death, still smoking pot huh and even in prison.
Steve

United States

#30 Sep 17, 2012
what i think wrote:
I think cummings should get death he knew what he was doing when he was dragging the officer 200 yards why didnt he stop why did he run there was no reason to cummings commited capital murder and thats all there is to it he should get what he deserves DEATH
. You are the murderer you piece of shit. Dan is an absolutely stand up perfect kid. Those oxford cops are corrupt and will pull kids over and harrass and abuse their AMERICAN rights because they crave power and pray on weak young kids. That officer may have been a great guy but probably not. Probably was a power craving typical small town cop who was probably abusing young kids if your in oxford and your vehicle looks like a kid and especially has out of county tags YOUR GETTIN PULLED OVER. Searched handcuffed harassed, that cop is no hero. He did nothing special but tragically kill himself by hanging on to a moving vehicle... You say Dan could have stopped in the heat of how INCREDIBLY SCARED he probably was... Probly has never even been pulled over before and he runs into crooked Barney Fife super spiderman cop.. THAT COP COULD HAVE LET GO ANYTIME. High speed pursuits are not condoned by the police as a danger to society... Clinging onto the side of a truck is PROBABLY not in the training academy and he was OUT OF LINE. What happened was tragic but Dan does not deserve the death penalty. He should be released from prison immediately. I pray for that officers family. Sometimes SHIT JUST HAPPENS. They want to make that cop out to be a hero by condemning a scared kid to death. Princess diannas driver should get the death penalty then... So should micheal Jackson's doctor lets kill him to... While we're at it lets sentence hulk hogans kid to death...let's MURDER anyone whose ever been involved in an accidental death and you pull the trigger. That cop acted COMPLETELY OUTSIDE OF PROTOCOL AND IT'S HIS FAULT. Shit happens. My friend Kyle khinl a wrestler in high school at Houston was killed by a stand up great kid like Dan due to drowsy driving. It was tragic but the families moved on and forgave him. They didn't scream DEATH PENALY. They're son Kyle is gone forever bc of a stupid mistake... I ran from the police once and was caught and arrested... What if someone was in my way? In the street a child?? They would be dead and I was a 16 year old scared kid running from my first time getting pulled over that's extremely scary you forget being a kid... I was lucky. now I am a paramedic and I could be the guy who saves your sorry fucking life one day. I'm not in jail for murder. So you wanna kill me to?? Fuck you... Dan has been in prison since like 04??? If that cop was here he would forgive Dan and understand and he would hopefully remember being a child. Fuck you for fueling this fire screaming death penalty... Cop was a dumbass... Dan was a dumbass...but Dan was a baby... That grown ass officer should know better. Hopefully they train their officers to not spiderman onto the side of cars because THAT'S A DANGER TO SOCIETY AND STUPID HE COULD HAVE BEEN PULLING ON THE WHEEL AND CAUSED AN "actual" innocent third person to be killed. Fuck the corrupt cops . He could have got back in his car and followed Dan... JESUS CHRIST HE HAD THE PLATE NUMBER!!! He knew DAN was DAN I'm sure Dan looks like the pictures of Dan and I'm sure all plates and registration showed the vehicle wasn't stolen or that he's a runaway fugitive.. Coulda caught up with Dan the next day like a REAL cop should. He took a risk and lost... I've taken lotsa risks and nearly been killed. Sometimes SHIT HAPPENS. LET DAN GO! He's just a fucking kid you sick people!! Just like your son or daughter. He made a fucking mistake gel regret for the rest of his life... FREE DAN!!! Train your hillbilly officers not to act like Jason fucking Bourne in the streets. If you say Dan deserves death I say that cop got what he deserved. Just cuz he's a cop he's not special. Dan is a human to asshole.
Steve

United States

#31 Sep 17, 2012
wanting this over wrote:
I am sorry but reading this just made me have to comment. I was a good friend of Robert Langley. I had known him for several years, and he was pretty much a part of our family. Not for one minute do I believe that Robert would have hung on to that truck "of his own free will". AND I am glad that someone on here remembered that Robert was called in as BACKUP because the first officer could not get the kid to cooperate. Now, I am not saying that Cummings meant to kill Robert. I am almost 100% sure that he did not leave his house that night thinking,"I should go kill a cop." BUT when the situation occured, he KNEW that if he ran, it would be worse for him than just taking the ticket. I am also pretty sure that when Robert was pushed from or let go of the truck, the kid did not mean for him to die. He just wanted to get away from him. BUT the fact is that Robert died. There are people out there every day that "don't mean to do it" but they stil do. Robert was taken away from his wife, his two precious boys, and his stepkids all over a stupid traffic ticket and possibly a possession ticket. And now we have to hear that stupid piece of shit lawyer to Cummings drag Robert's name through the mud so he can try to prove his client's innocence. Why? Why do that to Robert's family? Robert did absolutely nothing wrong. He did his JOB! Although I am pretty sure of the outcome of this trial, I hope that there is Justice done in the city of Oxford. My thoughts and prayers are with Robert's family and friends as well as the Cummings family. Although I hope that their son rots in jail, I pray that they support their son and love him no matter what.
screw you for your senseless comments...anne karma will make sure your child one day is in dams situation. And on that day I'll say YOUR SON SHOULD FRY. Fuck you asshole. You hillbillies are taking sides cuz Langley was your friend??? Dan has friends to that love him and they aren't as biased as you dumb hicks because we are educated. We went to good schools with Dan. The BEST schools. Dumbass hicks like you are the same dumbasses that would jump on a moving car... Who the hell does that??? THIS LANGLY DUMBASS GOT WHAT HE ASKED FOR.... He wanted a ride on top of a fleeing truck... Well he got one.... Probly karma for all the kids he harassed and picked on just cuz his badge and hillbilly boss allows him to. I get pulled over EVER DAMN TIME I GO TO OXFORD... They see Shelby county tags and a young person and they're dicks get hard... Fuck him.
real talk

Sumrall, MS

#32 Sep 30, 2012
Steve wrote:
<quoted text> screw you for your senseless comments...anne karma will make sure your child one day is in dams situation. And on that day I'll say YOUR SON SHOULD FRY. Fuck you asshole. You hillbillies are taking sides cuz Langley was your friend??? Dan has friends to that love him and they aren't as biased as you dumb hicks because we are educated. We went to good schools with Dan. The BEST schools. Dumbass hicks like you are the same dumbasses that would jump on a moving car... Who the hell does that??? THIS LANGLY DUMBASS GOT WHAT HE ASKED FOR.... He wanted a ride on top of a fleeing truck... Well he got one.... Probly karma for all the kids he harassed and picked on just cuz his badge and hillbilly boss allows him to. I get pulled over EVER DAMN TIME I GO TO OXFORD... They see Shelby county tags and a young person and they're dicks get hard... Fuck him.
Dicks gettin hard for dan as we speak. Dont drop.the soap danny boy. Ur a loser jus like danny boy so stay up in shelby county bi tch we dont want ur loser azz down here u fuctard
Convinced

Hurst, TX

#33 Apr 5, 2014
wanting this over wrote:
I am sorry but reading this just made me have to comment. I was a good friend of Robert Langley. I had known him for several years, and he was pretty much a part of our family. Not for one minute do I believe that Robert would have hung on to that truck "of his own free will". AND I am glad that someone on here remembered that Robert was called in as BACKUP because the first officer could not get the kid to cooperate. Now, I am not saying that Cummings meant to kill Robert. I am almost 100% sure that he did not leave his house that night thinking,"I should go kill a cop." BUT when the situation occured, he KNEW that if he ran, it would be worse for him than just taking the ticket. I am also pretty sure that when Robert was pushed from or let go of the truck, the kid did not mean for him to die. He just wanted to get away from him. BUT the fact is that Robert died. There are people out there every day that "don't mean to do it" but they stil do. Robert was taken away from his wife, his two precious boys, and his stepkids all over a stupid traffic ticket and possibly a possession ticket. And now we have to hear that stupid piece of shit lawyer to Cummings drag Robert's name through the mud so he can try to prove his client's innocence. Why? Why do that to Robert's family? Robert did absolutely nothing wrong. He did his JOB! Although I am pretty sure of the outcome of this trial, I hope that there is Justice done in the city of Oxford. My thoughts and prayers are with Robert's family and friends as well as the Cummings family. Although I hope that their son rots in jail, I pray that they support their son and love him no matter what.
We all understand what happened now. It was an accident. Dan is a good guy. Hopefully he straightens up and gets off drugs. If the officer didn't reach into the truck in the first place, this would never be an issue. I believe the first officer was a female and she called officer Langley for help. He was trying to prove his macho cop skills and did things he should not have nor was he taught to do as a cop. Dan will be out in about 7 years. Hopefully the Langley family can forgive him for his sins. And maybe Dan can speak about this publicly and help incoming college students learn from his mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
yalobusha sheriff dept. 9 hr Sweepyface 4
A Lovers Triangle Jan 29 Sweepyface 3
Two dead, others injured in shootings in Batesv... (Mar '12) Jan 29 Sweepyface 3
batesville casket company Jan 28 Sweepyface 3
ClaytonO'donnell attorney in scandal Jan 23 Roby E 1
Burned Girl's Mother shows no Character Jan 22 Sweepyface 20
People are idiots Jan 19 Whoop de do 2
University Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:30 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:30PM
2015 Atlanta Falcons Potential Draft Pick Profile: OL Ali Marpet
NFL 6:47 PM
Raiders expected to interview Mike Smith for DC
NBC Sports 7:57 PM
Report: Mike Smith expected to interview with Raiders
Bleacher Report 3:54 PM
2015 Falcons Draft Pick Profile: WR Phillip Dorsett
Bleacher Report 8:55 PM
Falcons Potential Draft Pick: LB Denzel Perryman