Charge in Oxford killing fought

Full story: The Clarion-Ledger

The Ole Miss campus police officer who was dragged to his death during a traffic stop 'inserted himself' in the man's truck and may have scuffled with him, the suspect's attorney said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Apr 5, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
KBY Parent

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 30, 2006
 
I am glad that they are giving more facts in the case that prove that the student did not deliberately intend for Officer Langley to die and it was not murder. From what I have heard from numerous students and adults is that Daniel Cummings is a nice young man from a nice family. Officer Langley was an exceptional man with great merits. Cummings made a bad decision under the circumstances and probablty out of fear. I think the word "dragged" needs to quit being used. Quite obviously Officer Langley was hanging onto the truck, determined not to let Cummings get away. I asked my son what he would have done in the same situation and he said "probably the same thing. I would have been too scared to get out, especially if it was getting physical with 2 policemen and not knowing what they were going to do. I would have been so scared, I would have tried to get away and get a hold of my parents." I bad decision I told him, butare the police fair to the students? I do not know firsthand, but I have heard that there are frequently illegal searches, etc. and there is a great deal of anymousity between students and police. I think the way it has been handled publicly is very deserving. I cannot imagine Officer Langley condoning such hatred. It is a horrible tragedy for everyone -especially the Langley's and the Cummings, but it does not have to destroy the lives of all involved and the students and those who live in Oxford. I have heard it is a tough environment these days around campus. The police are trying to find any reason to stop students. They want revenge for their fallen brother. That is not what being an officer should be about. What a horrible example for the students. Yes, they have been out of hand, there are a lot of spoiled rich kids and those who are disrespectful, but that has been going on for quite a while. Change is needed, but it does not need to be done with such malice-unless Oxford would rather not have all these students from all over. I have had 2 students at Ole Miss and I am glad one is already gone and one is graduating. It is hard to see such a wonderful place fall apart. A horrible thing happened, but I cannot believe anyone really believes Daniel Cummings was out that night intending on comitting "capital murder." I am glad he has a good attorney to defend him. Otherwise, I fear those with such hate would have already had a lynch mob take the justice in their hands. My heart and prayers go out to the families involved and the innocent being forced to live with such a horrible aftermath.
justme

Nampa, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 30, 2006
 
all i can say is bullsh*t
what i think

Chesterland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 31, 2006
 

Judged:

1

I think cummings should get death he knew what he was doing when he was dragging the officer 200 yards why didnt he stop why did he run there was no reason to cummings commited capital murder and thats all there is to it he should get what he deserves DEATH
Distraught parent

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 31, 2006
 
I do not know any of the parties involved and I have never been to Oxford, MS. But my heart goes out to everyone there. Just from reading a few of the reports in the newspaper, I don't think the young student meant any harm to the officer. He made a stupid decision when he tried to leave the scene and an accident occurred which resulted in a senseless death. Mr. Cummings does not deserve the death penalty nor should he spend the rest of his life in prison. Prisons should be for the really bad, incorrigible people. I am sure Mr. Cummings will face a civil suit resulting in huge compensation for the officers family. The punishment for Mr. Cummings should be he has to work the rest of his life to pay off the officer's family. Being in prison will not help anyone in this case. I can't imagine what Cummings or his parents are going through. I am very sorry for the family of the police officer, too.
scott

Billings, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 2, 2006
 
lets see drinks and drives, cocaine user with a silver spoon...daddy's little boy.doesn't understand the consequences of his actions....hell it sounds like someone else we all know....Georgie Bush...this kid might have been president some day.....
sick of injustice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 7, 2006
 
I see you are glad that he has a good attorney. Well in my opinion it depends on what you call good. He definitely is good at gettting guilty people set free and making lots of money doing it. Just look at his clients, they kill people.
KBY Parent wrote:
I am glad that they are giving more facts in the case that prove that the student did not deliberately intend for Officer Langley to die and it was not murder. From what I have heard from numerous students and adults is that Daniel Cummings is a nice young man from a nice family. Officer Langley was an exceptional man with great merits. Cummings made a bad decision under the circumstances and probablty out of fear. I think the word "dragged" needs to quit being used. Quite obviously Officer Langley was hanging onto the truck, determined not to let Cummings get away. I asked my son what he would have done in the same situation and he said "probably the same thing. I would have been too scared to get out, especially if it was getting physical with 2 policemen and not knowing what they were going to do. I would have been so scared, I would have tried to get away and get a hold of my parents." I bad decision I told him, butare the police fair to the students? I do not know firsthand, but I have heard that there are frequently illegal searches, etc. and there is a great deal of anymousity between students and police. I think the way it has been handled publicly is very deserving. I cannot imagine Officer Langley condoning such hatred. It is a horrible tragedy for everyone -especially the Langley's and the Cummings, but it does not have to destroy the lives of all involved and the students and those who live in Oxford. I have heard it is a tough environment these days around campus. The police are trying to find any reason to stop students. They want revenge for their fallen brother. That is not what being an officer should be about. What a horrible example for the students. Yes, they have been out of hand, there are a lot of spoiled rich kids and those who are disrespectful, but that has been going on for quite a while. Change is needed, but it does not need to be done with such malice-unless Oxford would rather not have all these students from all over. I have had 2 students at Ole Miss and I am glad one is already gone and one is graduating. It is hard to see such a wonderful place fall apart. A horrible thing happened, but I cannot believe anyone really believes Daniel Cummings was out that night intending on comitting "capital murder." I am glad he has a good attorney to defend him. Otherwise, I fear those with such hate would have already had a lynch mob take the justice in their hands. My heart and prayers go out to the families involved and the innocent being forced to live with such a horrible aftermath.
justme

Nampa, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 7, 2006
 
i'm glad he has a good lawyer so he can't come back years later on appeal because he thinks he had an incompetent defense and cost the tax payers more money
crissy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 7, 2006
 
I am a parent also, and if this was my child who had done this, I would be very upset and scared for him but at the same time I would have to tell him to stand up and accept responsibilty and take the punishment whatever it may be from the courts. Because first, the young man knew better. No matter what the officer may or may not have done, the young man, if raised right would have known to respect the law and stop and get out and do what the officer says. It had nothing to do with the boy fearing for his safety, usually when people run fromt he law they have something to hide in there vechicle or on them. I understand that this young man has his whole life ahead of him, but let not forgot so did Officer Langley, he was only 30 years old and has a 1 year old, will he get a second chance, NO! and neither should Daniel Cummings.
sick of injustice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 8, 2006
 
It is nice to see that there are other parents that believe that your children should stand up and take responsibility for their actions. As a society I believe that until parents stop paying their kids way out of trouble and make them be responsible then they will keep making awful mistakes that take the lives of other innocent people. The city of Oxford should take note as this is the third such horrible death that was so senseless. I have to just hope that maybe this time there will be some punishment.
crissy wrote:
I am a parent also, and if this was my child who had done this, I would be very upset and scared for him but at the same time I would have to tell him to stand up and accept responsibilty and take the punishment whatever it may be from the courts. Because first, the young man knew better. No matter what the officer may or may not have done, the young man, if raised right would have known to respect the law and stop and get out and do what the officer says. It had nothing to do with the boy fearing for his safety, usually when people run fromt he law they have something to hide in there vechicle or on them. I understand that this young man has his whole life ahead of him, but let not forgot so did Officer Langley, he was only 30 years old and has a 1 year old, will he get a second chance, NO! and neither should Daniel Cummings.
GOD

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 16, 2006
 
This was an accident and will be handle accordingly within the courts. This young man will not go to prison and will be saved.
Charlie

Clinton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 21, 2006
 
KBY was exactly right. Anyone who knows about the People's Republic of Oxford knows about the Gestapo/Stasi like actions of the local law-enforcement. It is overzealous to the point of being down right scary. I'm not sure they teach the officers down there that there is such a thing called the "Constitution" and the "Bill of Rights." If some overzealous cop started grabbing me inside my vehicle, i'd probably floor it too! Unfortuately there is a lynch-mob mentality on the part of the OPD, the UPD, and the city of Oxford.
justme

Nampa, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 21, 2006
 
hmmm god...how can one 'accidently' drive away with a policeman in your window? pray tell
JTee

Oxford, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 5, 2007
 
I went to Langley's funeral. When the police order you to stop, you stop and take your ticket. If Cummings had done this he would have gotten A TICKET instead of facing the death penalty.

I would never recklessly endanger a police officer's life for any reason. I have no sympathy for Cummings.
outraged

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 9, 2007
 
what i think wrote:
I think cummings should get death he knew what he was doing when he was dragging the officer 200 yards why didnt he stop why did he run there was no reason to cummings commited capital murder and thats all there is to it he should get what he deserves DEATH
God I am sick of these ignorant people on these types of boards who have to add there 2 cents without knowing the facts. First of all the officer was not dragged, I am sick of hearing this he hung onto the truck with his own free will, the news portrays the officer being stuck under the truck while he is being dragged. Cummings is a terrific person who is nice to everyone he meets, he doesnít have a mean bone in his body. All it takes if one mistake to change and ruin a life. He does not deserve the death penalty, I am sick of this type of post on websites saying that he deserves to die. Those who say this are ignorant people who do not know all of the facts, my first suggestion is to keep your mouth closed and do not jump to conclusions before you know all of the facts. Keep your ideas to yourself, if this was your son or daughter or friend would you say that they deserve death, I seriously doubt it. Dan is a great person who doesnít deserve this ill-mannered slander from people who have only heard of this incident on the news.
lbf

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 24, 2007
 
and the officer this 'good guy' dragged left his wife a widow and his four children without a father.
outraged wrote:
<quoted text>
God I am sick of these ignorant people on these types of boards who have to add there 2 cents without knowing the facts. First of all the officer was not dragged, I am sick of hearing this he hung onto the truck with his own free will, the news portrays the officer being stuck under the truck while he is being dragged. Cummings is a terrific person who is nice to everyone he meets, he doesnít have a mean bone in his body. All it takes if one mistake to change and ruin a life. He does not deserve the death penalty, I am sick of this type of post on websites saying that he deserves to die. Those who say this are ignorant people who do not know all of the facts, my first suggestion is to keep your mouth closed and do not jump to conclusions before you know all of the facts. Keep your ideas to yourself, if this was your son or daughter or friend would you say that they deserve death, I seriously doubt it. Dan is a great person who doesnít deserve this ill-mannered slander from people who have only heard of this incident on the news.
outraged

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 26, 2007
 
lbf wrote:
and the officer this 'good guy' dragged left his wife a widow and his four children without a father.
<quoted text>
I know that, i dont why you repsonded to my quote with that fact.
Spoon

Oxford, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 11, 2007
 
Has everyone forgot that that the officer was called because the first officer could not get Cummings to cooperate and backup was needed to at least get a drunk drugged up kid off the streets?
a mom of 3

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 24, 2007
 
lindsay lohan and b. spears and everyone else who has money seems to be acting a fool these days.................spoiled rich kids.......bottom line.
a mom of 3

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 24, 2007
 
michael vick is a dog killer.......and??????????
outraged

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 26, 2007
 
a mom of 3 wrote:
lindsay lohan and b. spears and everyone else who has money seems to be acting a fool these days..........spoiled rich kids.......bottom line.


Cummings was not spoiled and he did not act stuck up or above anyone. he is a kind person who does not deserve this slander from ignorant people who dont know him. keep your opinions to your self when you dont truly know the person whom your talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent University Discussions

Search the University Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Your opinion: Daily train traffic problem is gr... Mon Trains 3
earn money so flippin easy Aug 14 Dmzinn 1
MS Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) Aug 11 Vote 1,985
Anybody working at Olin Winchester in Oxford (Jan '12) Jul 26 moving 8
Terrance Shaw? Jul 21 lowlow 1
Highway 6 opening delayed by rain Jul 21 Crime 1
Drinking Jul '14 Justwondering 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

University Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

University News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in University
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••