Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom. Full Story
Jim

Toronto, Canada

#2260 Jul 24, 2014
Just Saying

Booneville, MS

#2261 Jul 24, 2014
mentul_autocrat wrote:
<quoted text> i love the "one nation under god" and people scream that this country wasn't founded on christian beliefs.
To be fully honest, that phrase wasn't added until early-to-mid 20th century.
OS Resident

Ocean Springs, MS

#2262 Jul 24, 2014
SNOOPY90 wrote:
WOW SHOCKING VIDEO OF THAT JUDGE HEAR https://www.youtube.com/user/CSHHWW
Not a video of the judge at all. Just some hip-hop vid.
Mike

Russell, KY

#2263 Jul 29, 2014
mentul_autocrat wrote:
<quoted text> i love the "one nation under god" and people scream that this country wasn't founded on christian beliefs.
One nation under god was not added to the pledge until the late 1950's
researcher

Booneville, MS

#2264 Jul 29, 2014
Actually the "One Nation Under God" wasn't added until 1954. And if most would just do a little history research, they would realize that this country was NOT founded on religion at all. It only takes a minute folks to do a little research.

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2265 Jul 30, 2014
If there is a God it sure has nothing to do with government.
John

United States

#2266 Jul 30, 2014
Your religion is a result of your surroundings and by what you have been told since a young age. To a Muslim or a Mormon the idea that god caused a virgin to give birth to his son to pay for mans original sin that was caused by a talking snake convincing a naked unashamed sinless woman to eat a fruit from a forbidden tree is just as strange as god either having a prophet fly to heaven on a unicorn or directing a prophet to find magical golden tablets is to christians.
Doc Nab

Lucedale, MS

#2267 Jul 30, 2014
If you don't pledge allegiance to this country your allegiance must lie with our enemies. I'm a Viet Nam veteran and my allegiance will all be with my country. I don't like a lot about what is going now, but I always keep the faith and patriotism.
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2268 Jul 30, 2014
John wrote:
Your religion is a result of your surroundings and by what you have been told since a young age. To a Muslim or a Mormon the idea that god caused a virgin to give birth to his son to pay for mans original sin that was caused by a talking snake convincing a naked unashamed sinless woman to eat a fruit from a forbidden tree is just as strange as god either having a prophet fly to heaven on a unicorn or directing a prophet to find magical golden tablets is to christians.
When over population makes everyone suffer it is the individual's responsibility not to have children.
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#2269 Jul 30, 2014
When I think of when I'm dead and buried,.........which would I rather have..........to lay there and let the worms eat me or be taken to heaven where the glories are beyond my imagination? Life on this earth is such a short time to be faithful. Your choice!
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2270 Jul 31, 2014
The Rogue wrote:
When I think of when I'm dead and buried,.........which would I rather have..........to lay there and let the worms eat me or be taken to heaven where the glories are beyond my imagination? Life on this earth is such a short time to be faithful. Your choice!
When you die there is no more you. Why waste your time in living a myth?
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#2271 Aug 1, 2014
Laws wrote:
<quoted text>.......... in living a myth?
" T H A T " is only someone's opinion. I much prefer the more beautiful facts. It's not worth the gamble to me. But you go right on ahead ,........guess we won't see you up there.
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2272 Aug 2, 2014
The unknown has a way of biting you when you ignore the probability.
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#2273 Aug 2, 2014
The sentence directly above seems to be filled with negativity but it sounds as though you've gotten a good taste of it. I don't care to gamble, so if there is a heaven and there surely is, I want to be deserving.(believe it or not, I don't even know how to play poker!)
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2274 Aug 3, 2014
"Pascal's Wager" ?

You do not have to believe in a God to live a good life and contribute to humanity. Following what other men tell you is giving of the individual control of yourself you were born with. Be very careful about what you believe. In the big big picture you could be an unwitting slave for poor values.
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#2275 Aug 3, 2014
You believe what you like,.........your choice.....which, of course, determines your "big, big" future!
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2276 Aug 4, 2014
The Rogue wrote:
You believe what you like,.........your choice.....which, of course, determines your "big, big" future!
Cause and effect.
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#2277 Aug 7, 2014
Laws wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause and effect.
"Exactly.....just exactly, so true. Why try to belittle oneself when there are those in power, the super rich, the ones in the shadows who are doing such a good job of doing it for you?
Laws

Tupelo, MS

#2278 Aug 8, 2014
The Rogue wrote:
<quoted text>
"Exactly.....just exactly, so true. Why try to belittle oneself when there are those in power, the super rich, the ones in the shadows who are doing such a good job of doing it for you?
You do not have to play their game only beat them your way.
TeaGirl

Biloxi, MS

#2279 Aug 9, 2014
Mississippi has the most black elected officials in the nation, hands down. I have been all over the country, and race relations here are better than almost any place I have been, especially in Liberal New York City. Calling Mississippi racist seems to sell papers, but it is not true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Chamber's has nothing to do with race... 16 hr Sweepyface 3
Jessica Chambers' Murderer will be arrested soon. Tue Freedom 9
Looking for a one night stand girls Mon Dgmgg 1
People are idiots Mon Lovely25 1
Anybody working at Olin Winchester in Oxford (Jan '12) Dec 16 dofus 11
'We will not stop:' Vigil seeks justice for bur... Dec 16 Sweepyface 2
local business owner charged in prostitution ri... (Feb '14) Dec 15 Mike2see 8
University Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web