Cummings denied bond

Full story: Freerepublic.com

Posted on 11/30/2006 1:26:19 PM PST by somniferum Media Credit: Ryan Moore Daniel Reed Cummings, the second-year University of Mississippi student indicted for capital murder, was denied bond Wednesday after ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
SHERILON WOODS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2006

I KNOW IT WAS A TRAGIC TO THE OFFICER AND HIS FAMILY BUT THINK IF IT WAS YOUR CHILD. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES IN OUR LIFE TIME. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT HAD HAPPENED BUT PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND MISTAKES HAPPEN. THIS YOUNG MAN IS THE SON OF MY FORMER GENERAL MGR. I MET DANIEL ONCE BUT IN THE SHORT PERIOD HE WAS A RESPECTFUL AND A WELL SPOKEN OF YOU NG MAN. PLEASE LOOK AT THIS CASE AS A TRAGIC ACCIDENT. IM SURE THAT THIS TRAGIC HAS TAUGHT DANIEL A LESSON. CASES LIKE THIS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME IN THIS WORLD. I AGREE THAT A HARD PUNISHMENT WOULD BE GOOD BUT CAPITAL MURDER I DONT THINK SO. I WILL PRAY FOR BOTH FAMILIES AND NO OFFICER LANDGLEY DID NOT DESERVE TO DIE. BUT GOD DON'T JUDGE US WE LOOK ON THE OUTSIDE. I THINK DANIEL DESERVES TO BE OUT ON BOND. THER IS A PUNISHMENT BESIDES CAPITAL MURDER. PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE
justme

Nampa, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2006

blah blah blah blah...your FORMER GENERAL MGR should have sent him to school in kentucky instead of mississippi then it would be your problem instead of ours.

sorry judge...it was just a MISTAKE that i was drinking and doing drugs and speeding and reckless then the cops pulled me over and i took off with the cop in my window and i drug him till he was killed. then i tried to hide my truck so no one would know. all kids make these kinds of mistakes..YEH RIGHT!!!!

all i can say is put your money where your mouth is. donate to the children of this poor man who have to grow up without a father
Rach

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2006

Yes...it is a tragedy for both families. But what is so sad about the whole situation is that it could have all been avoided. There were two 2 very bad decisions made that night. First was Mr. Cummings decision to flee the scene - had he not, this would not have happened. And second, Officer Langley's decision to "insert himself into the vehicle" to try and stop the truck - had he not, this would not have happened.
I don't think this is a capital murder, maybe manslaughter would be the more reasonable charge.
Jonathan

Mississippi State, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2006

Note to Sherilon Woods: Don't use all caps! It is inconsiderate and difficult to read.

Note to Rach: Don't use the phrase, "insert himself into the vehicle". That is the defense's propaganda.

Yes, this is a sad situation - and it could have been avoided.

Don't do drugs. Don't drink & drive. Respect the law & law enforcement officers.

This is the message we should be sending.
collegeboy420

La Fayette, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2006

Cops and frat boys are both stupid!
heathersavann

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2006

Cummings may well be a "respectful and well-spoken young man." That is absolutely irrelevant to this case. Cases like this do NOT happen every day. Many drunks are stopped by officers, but most do not try to run. If Officer Langley did in fact "insert himself into the vehicle", it was probably because Cummings was not cooperating, and he did what he thought was necessary to keep a dangerous driver off the road. This was not a tragic mistake. It was a CRIME, and should be handled accordingly. I'm sure it is a tragedy for one's family when a son destroys his own future in this manner, but it does not compare to the agony the Langley family is enduring.
OleMissGirl

Collierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

I know Dan personally. I went to high school with him. Dan would never have hurt a fly. He made mistakes, he was in a downward spiral at that point in his life, and it took taking the life of an officer to give him his reality check. I'm not saying what he did was right, and I certainly hate what happened...for both families.

Honestly, Dan needs to suffer the consequences. But I don't think they need to be so harsh. Mary Winkler BRUTALLY and PURPOSELY killed her husband and spent time in jail for what? 6 months. I'm very interested in seeing what happens to Dan. He was a good friend to everyone, he would have done anything for anybody. He made poor choices, needs to suffer some consequences, but then he needs to be able to live his life again.
Mighty Mississippi

Mississippi State, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

I wouldn't suggest a comparison between Cummings & Winkler. And I think your argument should be more focused on Winkler's sentence being too short, rather than Cummings being too harsh.

It is never fair to compare a man's sentence to a woman's. Take for instance these female teachers who have affairs with their students. These are sensationalized, but a male teacher who has an affair with a female student is considered a horrible pervert.

Crazy and unfair, I know.
Oprah

Cleveland, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2012

It could have easily been your sister/brother/daughter/son. Drugging and driving drunk in Oxford is as common as fruit flies. I hope this child will have the chance to turn his life around. I'll never forget that night. I don't think a person's life is worth should be a decision made on the worst day of their life.
real talk

Philadelphia, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Oprah wrote:
It could have easily been your sister/brother/daughter/son. Drugging and driving drunk in Oxford is as common as fruit flies. I hope this child will have the chance to turn his life around. I'll never forget that night. I don't think a person's life is worth should be a decision made on the worst day of their life.
dont hold ur breath. All he has done is joined a gang and failed drug tests in prison. He is a dumb azz.

Since: Sep 12

Sumrall, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Ohh

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent University Discussions

Search the University Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Terrance Shaw? 12 hr lowlow 1
Highway 6 opening delayed by rain Mon Crime 1
Child molester Sun John 1
Drinking Jul 12 Justwondering 1
laura britt (Sep '12) Jul 8 nope 3
MS Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) Jul 5 the dark lord 1,960
New 4-lane part of Mississippi Highway 6 to open Jul 1 Change 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

University Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE