AT & T And Avon In Dispute Over Cellphone Site

Full story: Hartford Courant

Virtually all of the town's cellphone transmitters - placed atop water towers, flagpoles or deep in the woods - are so well hidden that residents and passers-by hardly know they are there.
Comments
41 - 53 of 53 Comments Last updated Jun 21, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Avon Resident

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

NewingtonParent wrote:
<quoted text>
Interference happens sometimes when they put in a new tower. Had you called the town hall and talked to the Planning & Zoning Department, they should have given you a number to call so they could come out and adjust the frequency for you.
We did go to the town (my friend is on the town council), and adjustments were supposedly made, but the static remains. I know the static is a small inconvenience, but, in the back of my mind, I'm more concerned with the health issues caused by the frequencies being emitted so close to my house.
Mrs_ Smith

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

dmlpc wrote:
...It is now irrefutable that cell phones and other sources of RF and EMF's cause brain cancer and...
What an idiot. If cell phones cause bain cancer, why aren't all the cops and airplane pilots dropping dead? Their radios are 20 watts and they have been using them since the 40's vs cell phones at half a watt. 20/.5 squared = 1600 times more exposure.
Mrs_ Smith

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Avon Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
...but, in the back of my mind, I'm more concerned with the health issues caused by the frequencies being emitted so close to my house...
More stupidity. Exposure is based upon the square of the distance based upon how the waves propagate, so exposure from the pole to your house is a zillion times less than the exposure from the phone glued to your ear.

If only the schools in Avon were better....
Mrs_ Smith

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Mr Magoo wrote:
<quoted text>
In Connecticut, an engineer must have a license through Dept COnsumer Protection. THe EIT is also a license, i.e., for an apprentice.
Nope. Engineers don't need a license in CT. Only engineers who use the PE designation need a PE license. EIT's are not apprentices - just a lower step in the PE licensing process.
Reality Check

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Mrs_ Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Engineers don't need a license in CT. Only engineers who use the PE designation need a PE license. EIT's are not apprentices - just a lower step in the PE licensing process.
In order to call yourself an ENGINEER, in the State of Texas, you need to hold a license with the Dept. of Consumer Protection and Liability Insurance. They have been trying to get this law here in CT but have failed. The state of Texas will actually fine you for presenting yourself as an Engineer if you do not hold a PE. Just a little bit of Trivia.

However, here in CT, if you do not hold a license than your work must be overseen by someone who does and has experience with the work.

This is specifically for design.
Reality Check

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Mrs_ Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
EIT is Engineer in Training so technically they are an apprentice to a PE. Because their work has to be checked by one.
Avon citizen

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

dmlpc wrote:
It is now irrefutable that cell phones and other sources of RF and EMF's cause brain cancer and a host of other acute and chronic conditions. Brain surgeon Vini Kuhrana of Australia and many other scientists around the world involved in research think that we are facing a health debacle that will eclipse tobacco and asbestos combined. There are thousands of studies that support these statements coming mostly from European countries who have been aggressive about research while there is not one ongoing study in the United States. Portland OR and Los Angeles have adopted resolutions
challenging the 1996 telecommunications act that prohibits using health concerns as criteria to question the placement of a cell tower. Telecoms will one day face huge liability suits and accountability. Schools and city councils should be lobbied for changeand wi fi should be taken out of schools and libraries. RF and EMF health issues should be taught in schools alongside the dangers of tobacco and alcohol. Our educators have a moral and legal obligation to protect our children from toxic environments.
Wake up from the microwave trance.
Check out: http://www.wirelesswatchblog.com
Have you tried wrapping your head in tin foil. It also keeps the aliens from reading your thoughts.
Somewhere In Connecticut

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
I know some Avon residents personally, used to serve in the GHG years ago. The neighbors wanted us to move. Uhmmm...longest serving cavalry unit thank you very much.
I dated someone from the town back in the 80's. The parents made us breakup because my parents never went on to college! This is not a joke.
Unfortunately, the majority of Avon residents are absolute snobs and treat others like crap. There are very few down to earth people, like yourself. Count youself in the minority and lucky. Oh and please do not ever change!
A building inspector for Avon,who sold me something that he had, told me that the richer they are in Avon, the more "sneaky things" they try to get away with. He lived in another neighboring town.
Somewhere In Connecticut

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Fun in CT wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel that they need a tower that is going to cost thousands more then the towers that are good enough for my town as well as others. Why should I pay for their cosmetics. A cell tower is a cell tower. If you want service deal with it. This is why inflation has been so out of control because they need to pass the price onto us. And yes, we all use the coverage, but they use the coverage in my town and it comes from a big silver tower
Why not let the people who do not want the tower to show, pay for it to be concealed. Avon is a snobbish town. Their sh** stinks like the rest of us, I guess, unless they conceal it somehow. They need to take a good laxative, go out and smell the fresh air and let the tower go up so that their spoiled brats and themselves can hear on that d*** cellphone. Oh, if you loose or have lost your job, how will you pay your phone bill.:)
Avon citizen

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Somewhere In Connecticut wrote:
<quoted text> Why not let the people who do not want the tower to show, pay for it to be concealed. Avon is a snobbish town. Their sh** stinks like the rest of us, I guess, unless they conceal it somehow. They need to take a good laxative, go out and smell the fresh air and let the tower go up so that their spoiled brats and themselves can hear on that d*** cellphone. Oh, if you loose or have lost your job, how will you pay your phone bill.:)
My valet and my personal administrative assistant brought to my attention, as I was sipping my afternoon tea on the terrace, that one does not "loose" their job.:)
Somewhere In Connecticut

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Avon citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
My valet and my personal administrative assistant brought to my attention, as I was sipping my afternoon tea on the terrace, that one does not "loose" their job.:)
Sorry to upset your afternoon. Please forgive me for adding the extra "o" when I meant to type "lose". If you were sipping your tea in the afternoon, did you already lose your job? If you can't afford the teabags, I can send you some. I always try to help the needy.
Avon citizen

Oakville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2009

Somewhere In Connecticut wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry to upset your afternoon. Please forgive me for adding the extra "o" when I meant to type "lose". If you were sipping your tea in the afternoon, did you already lose your job? If you can't afford the teabags, I can send you some. I always try to help the needy.
You are forgiven. Oh dear! teabags? Always fresh brewed tea, dear, always.
:)
Somewhere In Connecticut

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2009

Avon citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are forgiven. Oh dear! teabags? Always fresh brewed tea, dear, always.
:)
I will have a pot of tea ready for you tomorrow. I must clean the sterling tea service first. My butler is on vacation and I am personally filling in for him. I do not want any scratches on it. I shall expect you at 2:00.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Unionville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mother accused of getting drunk, leaving 2-year... 1 hr Tardation without... 1
West Hartford Police Warn of Increase in Fraud ... (Jan '14) Aug 18 John Wilkinson 3
Review: ABC Bail Bonds Aug 7 Robert 2
Superintendent Weighs Options for District-Wide... Aug 2 Savethekids 1
Farmington Looks For Sponsors For Bridge Flower... Aug 1 BETTE JONES 1
Backyard Chickens: More Connecticut Residents R... (Jul '10) Aug 1 stephanie 8
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 America Gentleman... 780
•••
•••

Unionville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Unionville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Unionville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Unionville