Missing woman found

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

NORTH CANTON: Rachelle Borland, the mentally disabled North Canton Hoover High School senior who was reported missing Tuesday, was found safe in Lakemore at about 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Comments
21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated Jul 22, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
J Johnson

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

I sure do appreciate a happy ending.
jess

Hartville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

My spin- An elderly GENTLEman sees a young woman in need.. He offers her a ride in the rain( wasn't that the night of horrid lightening too?) He quickly realizes that she is not functioning at the level of her observable age. He doesn't push any issues with her and allows her to remain comfortable.. maybe hoping that when she is comfortable she will fill him in on why she is alone, where she needs to be etc... When she feels safe and secure she will allow him to help her. He gave her a sfe place to stay so that she was NOT game for actual predators.. He took her on his boat b/c he was going and it woule entertain her. He fed her. When he was informed she was missing mentally challenged woman whose parents were desperatly serching for her what does he do? He calls the police and provides the info.. When he sees her getting antsy and agitated he takes her where she has felt safe- his place- and then once again calls the police and advises of his location and waits for them.

I am a social worker and do not get that *bad feeling* with this story. What if she was a mentally challenged individual who was trying to get away from an abusive situation and could not explain it. If he automaticallly dumped her on police and did not try to protect her she would have been right back in her bad place without getting any needed help.

Sounds like this GREAT Samaritan had a gut feeling and followed it! I know he is resting well knowing that he might have SAVED this woman from any number of horrid experiences....
white and proud

Chesapeake Beach, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Ahau Kin wrote:
"she spent the night at his house and he did not ONCE think to call the police the entire time? "
Did you not pay attention to the article? It is clear on this: the 'geezer' didn't realize who she was UNTIL taking her out to eat THE NEXT DAY.
Without knowing more about the old guy, it is way too premature to speculate on his motives. It looks like she wasn't abused or assaulted, so it's possible he was just helping a lost person.
Is there even ONE person on this post that would have done it the same way this guy did? Or would each and every one of you IMMEDIATELY called the authorities? Yeah, I would have called immediately, too!
IMO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

isn't it ironic that he called the police after he was spotted with her?

IT'S NOT OK for a mentally challenged girl to be roaming around by herself and for her to stay the night at an old man's home. Why didn't he realize this and think that everything was kosher? Any idiot would know that someone's gotta be looking for her!
Try It Again

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

Thank you God for the help.
Meski

Bedford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

Ahau Kin wrote:
"she spent the night at his house and he did not ONCE think to call the police the entire time? "
Did you not pay attention to the article? It is clear on this: the 'geezer' didn't realize who she was UNTIL taking her out to eat THE NEXT DAY.
Without knowing more about the old guy, it is way too premature to speculate on his motives. It looks like she wasn't abused or assaulted, so it's possible he was just helping a lost person.
Um yeah, but why would you not call the cops RIGHT AWAY if you found an obviously challenged person who was lost? I would think this was the logical thing to do whether you knew there was a missing person's report or not.

Obviously YOU did not pay attention to what I was saying.
Mom

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

Disillusioned wrote:
I'm glad they found her safe and sound. However, when the story first broke, they gave no physical description of her or what she was wearing. It sounds like this poor girl needs to have some kind of aide with her if she gets confused with directions and can only tell you her first name. I don't mean to sound cruel, but I would rather her be safe than at the mercy of some pervert.
You're not mean. What would be wrong with I.D. bracletts or for the fellas, dog tags, like our military.
Geezer

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

He found this young lady soaked in the rain that only knew her first name. He had to know she had some mental challenges. Only an idiot would not see that. Why take her home and what about getting her in dry cloths? There is no way a good Samaritan would have approached this in this manner. He would have call 911 on the spot and stayed with her till help arrived. I don't think we have heard the last of this story!

God

Columbia Station, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

Try It Again wrote:
Thank you God for the help.
Not a problem, that's easy! Now if I can only figure out what I can do about the gas prices...
I work at farmer boy

Painesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

Tom Action wrote:
<quoted text>shoot his rear right your why people don't help one a nother anymore in your sick mind he has to be a predator wow
I know this man. The girl was hitch-hicking,someone else droped her off around a plaza in Lakemore township.Read the story... This man is a kind man. We all have learned to know all of his kids,and him... He would never do any kind of anything to hurt anyone...He is a very kind man... And maybe all people shouldn't judge him, without knowing him.... There is still kind people out there. That's what is wrong with our world..No ONE CARES ANYMORE, And quick to judge...I have known this man for 10 Years...
waitress at farmer boy

Painesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

READ THE STORY. SHE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING BUT HER FIRST NAME.. WE GOT THE FLYER WEDNESSDAY AFTERNOON. THATS WHEN HER GRANDFATHER DROPPED IT OFF. SHE WAS SITTING IN FARMER BOY<< EATING<<<. THE SAME TIME...!! THEN THE WAITRESS SHOWED THE FLYER TO BUD, AND HE TOLD THE WAITRESS TO CALL THE COPS...HE HAD NO IDEA THAT SHE WAS
missing...UNTIL THEN. HE TRYED TO WAIT UNTIL THEY CAME. BUT ,SHE KNEW SOMETHING WAS UP...AND GETTING ANTSY...THAT WHY HE TOOK HER BACK HOME TO HIS HOUSE..AND LEFT DIRECTIONS FOR THE POLICE TO FIND HER..SOME PEOPLE ARE SICK..AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT THERE ARE STILL SOME NICE PEOPLE OUT THERE.....EVERY ONE IS TOO QUICK TO JUMP THE GUN AND MAKE HIM OUT TO BE A BAD GUY....DO YOU REALLY THINK SHE WAS LOST OR DID SHE RUN-AWAY ? WHY DID SHE GET IN TO 2 OTHER CARS FOR RIDES..WHY WAS SHE OUT WALKING IN THE THUNDER STORM ????
Tsk

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

HipHip.
I am THE waitress

Wadsworth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

Judged:

I dont really know how to start. I have known this gentleman for a long time. He has kids and grandkids. He also has a mentally disabled nephew. I would trust him to the end of the earth to do the right thing.Also with any of my kids or myself. He did what he thought was best at the time, and I am sure that after everything that has happened since then that he would do it the same way each and every time. He didn't know what was going on or anything else. She must have felt comfortable with him, or she would have never went boating with him. He is a kind man and would do anything to help someone in need, and obviously she did need help. As a parent and grandparent myself, I would be thankful to him if she were my child. And God forbid, if something ever were to happen with one of mine, I would hope that it was the nice guy show up, instead of some bad guy. It was obviously meant to happen this way. And last of all, I bet her parents are gratful that she is home safely. You never know who might have showed up if he would have left her standing on that corner in the rain...So please give him the credit he deserves.

“Do what makes you happy”

Since: Jul 08

Akron, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

Judged:

Maybe the guy was just lonely, or a bit mentally challenged himself. At least she was returned safe and sound.
A parent

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

My concern as a parent would be the fact she got into the car of a stranger and went with them. Thankful he was someone who wanted to help, but it could have been worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 6 hr Jerry K 30,231
Debate: Marijuana - Akron, OH (Aug '10) 11 hr Hot lady 145
Review: PRO-FLO Sewer And Drain 13 hr josh doedell 1
Crisis of Truth Chgo Thugs at work 14 hr Jeff 1
99-year-old runner sets world record in 100-met... 14 hr Wong Dong Fong 3
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed Marvin Levels 188
City threatening to sue those who don't pay cam... (Apr '10) Wed Barbertucky Barb 66

Search the Uniontown Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Uniontown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Uniontown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Uniontown News, Events & Info