Oklahoma President Lashes Out at Pac-10

Oklahoma President Lashes Out at Pac-10

There are 313 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 18, 2006, titled Oklahoma President Lashes Out at Pac-10 . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

University of Oklahoma president David Boren sent a letter to Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg on Monday, asking him to push for the Sooners' game against Oregon to be eliminated from the record books and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
randy

Elwood, IN

#1 Sep 19, 2006
the wrong calls were negated by having the outcome of the game in your own hands on the last play of the game. a feild goal which is normally done in your sleep was muffed.
AJ Duck

AOL

#2 Sep 19, 2006
OU president is a fine example of what a classless bunch of "football" fans there is in Okieville. either take your ball and go home or get over it... news flash "you still lost".

Go Ducks
SoonerFan

San Antonio, TX

#3 Sep 19, 2006
It is clear that mistakes were made. It is clear that OU should have been given the ball with 1:12 left, allowing them to take a knew and run out the clock for the win.

That being said, Sooners have to get over this - there is no way they'll reverse the final outcome (just like they didn't in last year's Texas Tech fiasco!).

But _something_ fishy is going on with OU and instant replay. I don't hear nearly as much griping about replays from other college teams, nor as much controversy over _obviously_ bad calls. Someone needs to be fired for the egregious errors here. Two years in a row we've had games literally _stolen_ from us - I hope Oregon fans can understand why so many Sooner fans are a little raw over this subject.(Last year, replay officials got 3 calls wrong on Texas Tech's game winning "drive". And the on-field officials actually signalled a touchdown on a pass that was never even caught!)
AJ Duck

AOL

#4 Sep 19, 2006
SoonerFan wrote:
It is clear that mistakes were made. It is clear that OU should have been given the ball with 1:12 left, allowing them to take a knew and run out the clock for the win.
That being said, Sooners have to get over this - there is no way they'll reverse the final outcome (just like they didn't in last year's Texas Tech fiasco!).
But _something_ fishy is going on with OU and instant replay. I don't hear nearly as much griping about replays from other college teams, nor as much controversy over _obviously_ bad calls. Someone needs to be fired for the egregious errors here. Two years in a row we've had games literally _stolen_ from us - I hope Oregon fans can understand why so many Sooner fans are a little raw over this subject.(Last year, replay officials got 3 calls wrong on Texas Tech's game winning "drive". And the on-field officials actually signalled a touchdown on a pass that was never even caught!)
This is one of the only intelligent post that I have read or for that matter wrote. Oh yes, as a Duck fan, I can relate to being a little raw with unjust calls or decisions. Yes the onside kick was a terrible call. There were many bad calls in the game to show how poor the ref crew was. We got it put to us a few years ago when we were ranked #2 at the end of the season and the BCS gave to Championship game to the Huskers who finished 2nd in their league behind Colorado. Bad calls and bad decisions have always been part of the game.

Just as a side note, I come of as an AZZ because of all the name calling and comments of cheating by the duck and payoffs by Phil Knight etc. So I just twisted the knife a little more.

Great post sooner fan, good luck the rest of the season, and I hate the Horns,(my wife is an Aggie) go get them.
Stephanie

Tucson, AZ

#5 Sep 19, 2006
AJ Duck wrote:
OU president is a fine example of what a classless bunch of "football" fans there is in Okieville. either take your ball and go home or get over it... news flash "you still lost".
Go Ducks
I am one of the fans that you seem to believe are from "Okieville". While I am a Sooner fan, I personally believe in fairness in the sport. What I witnessed on Saturday was by no means fair. Oregon fans should be ashamed by having to defeat OU only through cheating and deceipt. My 4th grader is currently competing in his first year of football and I was ashamed that (1st) even he could tell the call was completely wrong and that (2nd) apparently it no longer matters who plays by the rules. I want my son to learn that winning and losing are both okay as long as one does their best and plays by the rules. Oregon did not do this and they were handed the game by the officials.
Bryan

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Sep 19, 2006
OU's president should not have asked to erase the game!!!! We will take the loss. The whole country now knows the truth though!!!
AJ Duck

AOL

#7 Sep 19, 2006
Bryan wrote:
OU's president should not have asked to erase the game!!!! We will take the loss. The whole country now knows the truth though!!!
Your right the whole country know that in the last 1:09 of the game the Ducks scored a TD, recovered an onside kick, scored a second TD and blocked a field goal.... nice D

Go Ducks! 3-0 We'll take it.
Cayce

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Sep 19, 2006
AJ Duck wrote:
Go Ducks
You're reply is a classic example of a classless FOOTBALL PROGRAM. It's obvious. Everybody in the country has seen it, admits it, and yet YOU continue to live in denial, that school officials THREW the game for Oregon.

And it's a horrible precedent for the whole concept of instant replay. Why have it if some A-HOLE OREGON *UCK, like Gordon Riese, who is so outrageously INCOMPETENT and MALICIOUSLY DISHONEST, can make up his mind with no inclination to fairness or better REALITY.

In reality, Oregon is a good football team. The best team on the field last Saturday did not win, however. The Sooners, though making some mistakes, deserved to win, and that's what everyone in the country is saying except for a few of you magic mushroom eating QUACKS.

The game SHOULD be stricken from the record books, not counted for either team simply so you all can maintain some integrity, and we can set an example for America's youth that THERE ARE SEVERE PENALTIES FOR CHEATING!
Danny

Tulsa, OK

#9 Sep 19, 2006
It's alright. We all know we can't beat OU so thats why we cheat!!

WOOOOO!!! Go Ducks!!
We have money and we know how to use it!!!
AJ Duck

AOL

#10 Sep 19, 2006
Cayce wrote:
<quoted text>
You're reply is a classic example of a classless FOOTBALL PROGRAM. It's obvious. Everybody in the country has seen it, admits it, and yet YOU continue to live in denial, that school officials THREW the game for Oregon.
And it's a horrible precedent for the whole concept of instant replay. Why have it if some A-HOLE OREGON *UCK, like Gordon Riese, who is so outrageously INCOMPETENT and MALICIOUSLY DISHONEST, can make up his mind with no inclination to fairness or better REALITY.
In reality, Oregon is a good football team. The best team on the field last Saturday did not win, however. The Sooners, though making some mistakes, deserved to win, and that's what everyone in the country is saying except for a few of you magic mushroom eating QUACKS.
The game SHOULD be stricken from the record books, not counted for either team simply so you all can maintain some integrity, and we can set an example for America's youth that THERE ARE SEVERE PENALTIES FOR CHEATING!
You know you are absolutly right! I agree completly the best team on the field won, wait... let me check again.... Yah, it's still us! I hope you guys can get by Middle Tenn.

Go Ducks!
JR Whiteshoes

Salem, OR

#11 Sep 19, 2006
As a former Sooner player and grad...what the football program and school should try and avoid at all cost is University President jumping into the fray when his attention and letters are needed in more obvious places. Bad play by David Boren!
Danny

Tulsa, OK

#12 Sep 19, 2006
I say rematch!!
AJ Duck

AOL

#13 Sep 19, 2006
JR Whiteshoes wrote:
As a former Sooner player and grad...what the football program and school should try and avoid at all cost is University President jumping into the fray when his attention and letters are needed in more obvious places. Bad play by David Boren!
Nice, another logical response by a Sooner. My hat's off to you sir!
Mac Whiner

Portland, OR

#14 Sep 19, 2006
I cannot believe how big the whiners in the Big 12 are. Yes it was a bad call, but it isn't the first one ever made in Football, and it won't be the last. But reality is that OU had control of their destiny until the very end, and could not hit the field goal. Cal gets robbed of a BCS bowl bid 2 years ago, ditto Oregon last year, and I don't recall much in the way of death threats when these bad decisions were made. Till now I thought it was only the Texas organization that were big whiners, but now I suspect this is status quo in the Big 12.
Stephanie

Tucson, AZ

#15 Sep 19, 2006
I would much rather be known for fighting for injustice than cheating.....
Danny

Tulsa, OK

#16 Sep 19, 2006
Ok how bout we all get over it..
Lets all go to starbucks and complain bout the longhorns and USC!
OURON

Norman, OK

#17 Sep 19, 2006
OK WE ALL AGREE THE GAME WAS NOT WHAT ANYONE WANTED.
THE POOP IS OUT OF THE HORSE, IN THIS CASE THE DUCK, YES IT SMELLS, SO LET ALL MOVE ON. SOONER FANS KNOW WE WOULD HAVE WON IF REPLAY HAD WORK AS IT WAS DESIGNED.
Gauger - SoonerMan

Dallas, TX

#18 Sep 19, 2006
I want to make sure all these wonderful Duck fans come back and visit this wonderful forum in a few weeks after they loose a few games. You luck is about to run out.

Boomer Sooner!!!!
Just A Fan

Portland, OR

#19 Sep 19, 2006
Oregon fan, you cannot blame OU fans from complaining because 1) everybody in the country knows the calls were WRONG (not BAD, they were WRONG) and 2) there have been bad/wrong calls before but nothing of this magnitude, and 3) if the shoe were on the other foot.... Sooner fan, you blew your chances to avoid a loss though with bad defense and worse kicking. These games can affect the futures of players, teams, and money coming in to a school. Rational thinking says to void the game and call it a wash.
Short Memories

Brush Prairie, WA

#20 Sep 19, 2006
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The sooners shouldn't even be playing this year. If the NCAA were 'fair', Oklahoma would receive the death penalty for recruiting violations exactly like SMU got.

Sooner fans accusing someone else of cheating and questioning the ethics of the school. Classic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uniontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Announces Sec Hagel's Replacement (Nov '14) Jul 16 Homeless Wino Pete 10
News Mall dweller sentenced for living in Rolling Acres (May '08) Jul 15 Mikermike 6
Nice France Jul 15 Zero 1
Corrupt - Judge Carol Dezso, Summit County DR C... (Jan '16) Jul 14 Mr Huskey 4
News Lakemore halts utilities rate study Jul 9 SEC Tough 1
Erica Daniels May '16 soccer Mom 1
News Suit filed over mix-up at Downers Grove sperm b... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Oh No You Di-nt 1

Uniontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Uniontown Mortgages